Non-motoring > BC / BCE Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 25

BC / BCE - No FM2R
Obviously I know and use AD and BC.

Today I came across CE and BCE. Seemingly widespread and long-standing and I may be the only person in the world not aware of them.

"Current Era" and "Before Current Era" if you were the other one not aware.
 BC / BCE - tyrednemotional
...I've always believed it was "Common Era"...
 BC / BCE - No FM2R
Sorry, you're quite right, "Common Era".
 BC / BCE - Bromptonaut
Alternatively Common Era.

Been commonplace in UK since c2000. Houses on development adjacent to us have 2001CE on their gables.
 BC / BCE - No FM2R
Mmmm, I rather feared that it might just be me that didn't know. Goodness knows how I missed it.

Oh well, every day a school day.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 1 Aug 21 at 15:31
 BC / BCE - Zero
Doesn't that rather indicate there is a future era expected? The second coming?
 BC / BCE - Robin O'Reliant
>> Mmmm, I rather feared that it might just be me that didn't know.
>>
>>

It wasn't.
 BC / BCE - Runfer D'Hills
I hadn't heard of those terms either. Then again, I've come to realise that I've not heard about a lot of things.

I was in a meeting the other week where the owner kept referring to his business as a "space".

Part of me wanted to hit him eventually. Of course I didn't, but then someone probably should, or he'll keep doing it I suppose.
 BC / BCE - No FM2R
I think there's not enough punching in business.

There should be a punch-value allocated to each ridiculous phrase or word usage.

e.g.
"run it up a flag pole" should be worth two slaps.
"I feel what you're saying" should be worth two slaps, a punch and a knee to the b*******.
 BC / BCE - Zero

>> "I feel what you're saying" should be worth two slaps, a punch and a knee
>> to the b*******.

Done with empathy tho and only as part of a in situ coaching opportunity
 BC / BCE - Runfer D'Hills
Yes, that works. "Going forward" could be punished by a simple head butt I guess.
 BC / BCE - No FM2R
One would need a cat-o-nine-tails to deal with "When you assume, you make an “ass” out of “u” and “me.”"

And "No 'I' in team" would need to be an extinction level event.
 BC / BCE - Zero
But here is a me
 BC / BCE - Robin O'Reliant
My cousin was once a foreman on a building site. Using the phrase "You're fired" got him a broken nose.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sun 1 Aug 21 at 17:23
 BC / BCE - zippy
CE / BCE as opposed to BC /AD was first used as far back as the 1600s and are considered to be culturally neutral terms.
 BC / BCE - No FM2R
Mixing your pluralities there.
 BC / BCE - Duncan
>> Yes, that works. "Going forward" could be punished by a simple head butt I guess.

If Chris Packham says or does it, can I kick him all the way down the road?
 BC / BCE - tyrednemotional
>> I think there's not enough punching in business.
>>

....way back when I was still employed, I had a (PA) consultant foisted on me (by those who should have known better). Frankly, he was less than useless, a real slacker, but rather full of himself.

One day, he started a buzzword laden monologue with one of the guys who was working for me, who was doing all the real work. He was relatively senior, very capable, quite large, and one of the most mild-mannered and self-controlled individuals I'd ever worked with.

Without uttering a word, he picked said consultant up by his tie, slammed him against the wall (feet off the ground) and then laid into him verbally like there was no tomorrow.

It was most unexpected, and almost as disturbing as it was amusing!

(I had great difficulty keeping a straight face when I told him off afterwards - and the consultant didn't last the week out).
 BC / BCE - No FM2R
Thinking about it, the one that gets me from ok to pssed off in 6 seconds is "Failure is not an option".

One needs an Uzi to satisfactorily deal with this particular comment.

BC / BCE - R.P.
www.buzzwordbingogame.com/cards/bullshit/

Endless hours of entertainment in meetings
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 1 Aug 21 at 21:47
 BC / BCE - Manatee
>>Thinking about it, the one that gets me from ok to pssed off in 6 seconds is "Failure is not an option".
>>One needs an Uzi to satisfactorily deal with this particular comment.

I agree on that.

I found myself with a boss a few years ago who was completely out of his depth. I updated him on a negotiation I was doing that had failed, irrevocably, because of a group-wide policy change by one of the big four banks that neither I nor my counterpart could do anything about.

Him: "Do you think that is acceptable?"

Me: It's a fact. I've accepted it. I've already told you what I'm doing about it."

Him: "But it's just not acceptable. Can we agree that it is just unacceptable".

Me: "If you like, but it's still a fact. Is there anything else?"

Him: "Well you've agreed that it's unacceptable so how are you going to change it?"

Me: "I'm not. It's not possible." And so on, and on.

It ended with me saying it was my job to solve the problem in another way and that I fully intended to do that, but if he didn't think I was the right person for the job he should find somebody else to do it or do it himself and pay me off.

I don't know what he did or said but he wasn't my boss a week later.

I later found out that he had been on a coaching course, where he had 'learned' that getting someone to admit that failure is unacceptable motivates them to deliver the required results.
 BC / BCE - Lygonos
"Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes", "Paradigm shift", and "Blue sky thinking" could certainly encourage me to make use of my medical/surgical skill set.

My brother who works in testing software in financial services particularly despises management whose go-to terminology for solving issues is to "go agile" - which appears to mean sticking elastoplasts over the gaping holes in the software that he had previously warned them about weeks before.
 BC / BCE - bathtub tom
Yonks ago (when I was employed) we used to have something I called 'head banging sessions', where we'd all sit in a room and deal with a hypothetical situation. Out would come the whiteboard and the 'problem' would be written upon it. The first question would be: "what can we do about this"? I'd reply "do nothing, because any suggestion must be to improve the situation". I was told this wasn't an option, as "we had to be seen to be doing something". I'd then, apparently, often fall asleep!

They stopped inviting me.
 BC / BCE - Zero
I had one memorable exchange with a newbie manager who at our first team meeting said "dont bring me problems - i want to see solutions"

Bout three weeks later the conversation went.

"hey boss - have a potential solution here I need authority for"

"Why - whats the problem"
 BC / BCE - Netsur
I do recall a documentary about the design of the Boeing 777 doors which were meant to work in a different way to the doors used on earlier Boeing aeroplanes. Something to do with the way the doors opened initially and obviously had to withstand the pressure differential at high altitudes.

They did use some of this management jargon to encourage the design engineers to make it work the way the bosses wanted, but there was much rolling of eyes.

BC / BCE - Crankcase
Just had a new Santander card arrive - they've changed from Visa to Mastercard. The accompanying leaflet has this paragraph. I'm still not sure what the actual benefit is:

Mastercard Priceless Cities

Time is the most precious resource we have, so the Priceless Cities mission is to provide you opportunities to have meaningful moments with the people you care about.

Jolly good. So when I use my card next time in Tesco, what does that mean?
Latest Forum Posts