Motoring Discussion > Rental Car alternatives Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 35

Rental Car alternatives - No FM2R
I dislike rental cars a big lot. The whole process annoys me.

I shall be in the UK for 1 - 2 months and will need 168 transport availability.

I think I shall go and buy something like this, leave it somewhere when I leave, use it again as and when I return, and throw it away if it breaks.

Comments / thoughts?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105243041584

NB: not necessarily this actual car, though it would do the job admirably, but a thousand quid, large and comfortable, car of which I shall have low expectations of longevity.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 18:40
 Rental Car alternatives - BiggerBadderDave
I'll have it when you're done with it.

I've rented three cars in as many weeks this month. Absolutely potty. I say to wifey, why don't I just buy one? I could buy, tax and insure for about a grand. A Panda would do me. And if lasts a couple of years, it's been a massive save.

No, she says. It's a waste of money.

Women.

I might do it anyways.
>>I'll have it when you're done with it.

Well if it's a good one I won't want to part with it and if its crap you won't want it. But I'll bear it in mind.

How can you go wrong?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106284370612

And your wife might be more sympathetic if you'd stop trying to shag all her [aged] relatives.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 19:07
p.s. we could share it if it's any good. I won't be using it much.
 Rental Car alternatives - Runfer D'Hills
If you could live with a small, low insurance car you could share with your daughter, then maybe kill two birds etc...?

Aygo or something.
>> If you could live with a small, low insurance car you could share with your
>> daughter, then maybe kill two birds etc...?

It's a thought. She doesn't have a UK licence, though she doesn't need one for 12 months I think. Mostly though, I don't think she needs a car.

Lastly, I really do dislike small cars. Really, really. Old and tatty doesn't bother me, but small......

edit: putting some more thought into it, that's probably a pretty good idea. But I think best suited to her second year.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 19:28
Fair enough. I'm not all that keen on them either, I don't mind hurling my son's car around once in a while, but I'd not want it as my daily driver.

Edit, as a result of your edit... ;-)

Get something old and big and the insurance might be less than you'd think.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 19:31
Insurance is a lot b***** simpler here, not to mention cheaper for young drivers.

TPO insurance is compulsory, enforced, regularly checked, costs about £30 per year and is for the car, unrelated to the driver, and anyone can drive any car.

ADTPF&T costs an effin fortune and depends very much upon the driver.
"It's a thought. She doesn't have a UK licence"

I'm thinking about that, too. My kid doesn't have a UK licence either so it can be pricey. But I want her driving in the UK.
>> My kid doesn't have a UK licence either so it can be pricey. But I want her driving in the UK.

As long as she is not resident, which I think is 183 days per year, then she can use her Polish licence as mine can use her Chilean. Irrespective of her immigration status or the passport she is using.

Once you become resident then you can use your foreign licence for 12 months and then you need to do the driving test and get a UK licence.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 19:44
 Rental Car alternatives - Fullchat
I Full EU/EEA Licence can be used up until the age of 70 or exchanged. That's how it was until Brexit. Everything nicely harominised.

I've done a little research inc gov.uk (a few minutes) + a couple of sources which say that still stands.

This is a useful tool:

www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y

The only issue could be for insurance. "Do you hold a full UK licence to drive that class of vehicle?"

As a student you can drive for 12 months during which time you can apply for a UK Provisional and take a UK test.

My take was that if you went home during the 12 months the clock restarted for non EU/EEA licence holders.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 22:23
It's exactly what I'm been thinking about, probably not so shabby though, alloys and maybe aircon.

Some Pandas that have class-1 insurance (£220-ish for me). So perhaps around the £750-800 mark. But that's as small as I'd go and there are hundreds of them. Why would I keep haemorrhaging money to Rentals when I could just keep a car for that kind of money...

It's all about mobility isn't it? My folks in the North West, I have a place in the North East, the clients are in London (and recently widowed aunt in Scotland, so I've heard).
Mate of mine has a place in Spain and has been keeping a series of £100 cars parked near the airport for the last 20 years. Every now and again one gets nicked, or breaks, so he just gets another one.

They're always utter s***e, but he doesn't care, it's only ever used on a Friday evening or a Monday morning for a 40 mile journey, 25 odd times a year.

He has saved a gazillion over the years.
 Rental Car alternatives - Crankcase

>> and will need 168
>> transport availability.

What does that mean, please? Not heard that before and can't seem to work it out.
24x7
I see. Thanks.
£1000 gets you easily into a ten year old Mondeo, so you get some comfort, size and cheap/easy parts if needed? 67 of the things to choose from up to £1000 on Autotrader at the moment.

I loved my Volvo Geartronic, but the early failure of the gearbox (at 62k) blew that one for me.
Honestly, my ONLY reason to get a Mondeo would be to find out what Runfer has been banging on about all these years.

I like SUV type body shapes. And I'm kind of old and tatty myself, so there's a synergy.
>> I like SUV type body shapes.

Wobble wagons.

;-)
awww, did you look at the Volvo and get cylinder envy?
Can't begin to tell you how distraught I was in truth.
 Rental Car alternatives - R.P.
Dacia or an MG SUV estate thing. Bargain.
I like them, but far more than I intend to spend for an occasional runabout mostly abandoned on a farm.
 Rental Car alternatives - Zero
As long as you have somewere to keep it, preferably where a trickle charger can be attached to it, its a plan.
>>preferably where a trickle charger can be attached to it, its a plan.

I have places that can be done reasonably convenient for LHR. Family, so no cost other than the occasional beer.
 Rental Car alternatives - Kevin
The principle's a good-un. I did it years ago when I came back from the US and was waiting a few weeks for the Chevy to arrive. I bought a 10yo (pampered) Granada for £500, ended up keeping it as a shopping trolley for a year and the only unexpected cost was an ABS sensor.

£10 a week plus tax and insurance.
I'm going see how things go with this covid thing but if I can get back to flying over every few weeks (without the rip-off testing fee), I'll be looking for a Panda then. Maybe next year.
I like Pandas.
And no longer endangered.
>> I like Pandas.

But you like the older Pandas, don't you? Not that sort of newer curvy, foppish looking thing.
Yes, I'm more of an unreconstructed Mk1 man really.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 30 Jul 21 at 20:12
 Rental Car alternatives - legacylad
NoF.

A friend is a time served mechanic, currently head MOT tester at a large independent auto engineers in Leeds. He’s previously sourced a vehicle for me...let me know details if I can help and he can ask around or source a potential vehicle which may pass through the workshop.
Most kind, LL, I will bear it in mind for when I actually decide wtf I'm going to do.
 Rental Car alternatives - legacylad
Happy to help...Simon Green Motor Engineers, Horsforth, Leeds.
A decent reputable garage.
 Rental Car alternatives - bathtub tom
Are you aware insurance costs for learner drivers are quite reasonable, but once they pass their test it rockets? Also insurance for students often excludes 'driving to and from a place of study', unless things have changed since mine were.
>>Are you aware insurance costs for learner drivers are quite reasonable, but once they pass their test it rockets?

I know little of costs in the UK these days, though I have found that University education is quite expensive, dunno if I've mentioned that.

Anyway, she doesn't need a car. Buses and trains will be fine.

I, on the other hand, need a car.
Latest Forum Posts