Motoring Discussion > Self parking 3 point turn? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

Self parking 3 point turn? - Bobby
There are plenty cars on the market now that have park assist of some sort but just wondering if there are any that will basically do an auto three point turn between two walls?
 Self parking 3 point turn? - smokie
I have no direct experience of them but my mate had a car (Ford?) that could park itself but he said he never used it. It needed a much bigger gap than he did.

Self parking 3 point turn? - No FM2R
>>he said he never used it. It needed a much bigger gap than he did.

My one experience was a BMW, and it parked the car in a space which I wouldn't have bothered trying.
 Self parking 3 point turn? - Mapmaker
I'm impressed enough by the parking sensors on my new motor. With their help I can park the car in places I would never have imagined trying. Most impressive is getting out of spaces by just turning the wheel to full lock and knowing I can go. Without the sensors I'd be putting an extra back-front shuffle in.
 Self parking 3 point turn? - R.P.
Had it on the V40. Apart from the occasional novelty use, got bored with it.
 Self parking 3 point turn? - Runfer D'Hills
My car has it. Never used it. A grown man who can't parallel park his own car in a maximum of three moves needs to be ashamed !
;-)
 Self parking 3 point turn? - Zero
>> My car has it. Never used it. A grown man who can't parallel park his
>> own car in a maximum of three moves needs to be ashamed !
>> ;-)

Swing round between kerbs howver.......
 Self parking 3 point turn? - PeterS
The MINI will sometimes ignore spaces that the car will fit in, so I seldom use the self parking in it. The Merc has never failed to get into a space I thought it should, and sometimes will attempt spaces I wouldn’t bother (unless spaces were limited overall. But the Merc implementation is much better…once it’s locked on to a space it will complete the whole manoeuvre. The MINi want the driver to change gear. In both cases I’m talking about parallel paring; the Merc will also apparently reverse park into an end on bay, but I’ve never used it for that.

Ack to the original question, I haven’t come across a car that will carry a 3 point turn at the touch of a button. But it can only be a matter of time surely? Unless it takes the approach of turning left/left/left in the hope it ends up back where it started ;)
 Self parking 3 point turn? - Bill Payer
>> There are plenty cars on the market now that have park assist of some sort
>> but just wondering if there are any that will basically do an auto three point
>> turn between two walls?
>>
I don't think so - the auto-parking thing others are talking about uses other cars to line itself up.

There are some cars which can be parked (and unparked) ie, in a tight garage when standing outside, using a App but I don't know the extent to which they can manoeuvred.
 Self parking 3 point turn? - Manatee
I get the impression that it is unofficially assumed that nobody can or wants to do a "turn in the road". Sat navs usually send you round a roundabout, even if it's 3 miles away, or route you round a triangle or square of roads to end up pointing the other way.

Quite a few also seem to think it's not OK to overtake on a single carriageway as well.
 Self parking 3 point turn? - PeterS
Though when you really ignore them they do sometimes say “make a u turn if possible’. Which I assume is their way of saying “I have no idea what you’re up to, and I’m not sure you do either…” :)
 Self parking 3 point turn? - bathtub tom
I frequently drop off SWMBO in a drop off point which I prefer to do a U turn to get out of.
The sat-nav don't like it!
 Self parking 3 point turn? - Clk Sec
>>just wondering if there are any that will basically do an auto three point turn between >>two walls?

Or an auto park in the garage? Mrs CS would rather like that option...
 Self parking 3 point turn? - Bobby
It’s for my aunt.

She has a steep driveway that is single car width until the top where it widens. So she drives up and then does a 3/4/5 point turn and drives back down. Driveway and her road are designed in such a way that reversing up or down wouldn’t really be successful.

An ideal proposition for a turntable at top of drive to drive onto, “wheech” the car round and be facing back down.

My own X1 has self parking for parallel parking. Only used it two or three times. Last time I used it, it couldn’t understand that all the cars were half on the pavement. Kept trying to line up with the kerb. Which, technically speaking, I cannot understand how it recognises the kerb from what appears to be standard font and rear bumper sensors.
 Self parking 3 point turn? - Runfer D'Hills
Has auntie got a conventional handbrake and an adventurous spirit, cos I've just had an idea...
;-)
Latest Forum Posts