Computer Related > Windows 10 settings message query, help please. Computing Issues
Thread Author: percy Replies: 4

Windows 10 settings message query, help please. - percy
In 'Settings, update and security', I'm getting a message....
'Windows update. Something went wrong. Try to reopen later'.
Tried later, same result. I'm not very competent but have managed the SFC scan as shown...

C:WINDOWSsystem32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windirLogsCBSCBS.log. For example C:WindowsLogsCBSCBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Still no cure, any thoughts from the forum?
 Windows 10 settings message query, help please. - smokie
I dealt with a similar problem for a mate recently. There was supposed to be a log showing what had gone wring, but I couldn't find it (and I do know what I'm doing).

I tried various things from t'internet which were touted as fixes but in the end, and for other unrelated reasons, he decided that we'd start with fresh Windows.

This article contains most of the sensible actions you can try.

www.zdnet.com/article/windows-update-failed-here-are-10-fixes-you-can-try/
Thank you, I'll give your suggestions a go and report back.
Annoying problem, don't think I've caused it, seemed to occur after the recent update.
 Windows 10 settings message query, help please. - Stuartli
I have three Windows 10 systems to update and recent months have proved troublesome with all of them, with the updates downloading, installing and them either being rolled back or said to have failed.

I tried all the remedies suggested (including those in the earlier link above), plus Disk Cleaner, and all generally proved a failure.

However, it eventually transpired that Microsoft seem to have tackled known problems and re-released updates which prove to work. So I hold back for a week or two and generally find that the updates download and install as expected....
After consulting the net fruitlessly, quite by chance the problem has been solved,
I was downloading some forms and went to 'Downloads' to find them...
Sitting in there was 'Windows10Upgrade9252' the Windows 10 Update Assistant Application file.
I opened it and set it running. After many minutes (90?) the pc was ready for the installation to run.
After another 90 minutes the install finished. The Version is now 21H1, previously 20H2 and 'Windows Update' in 'Settings' says 'You're up to date'
Three cheers!
Many thanks for advice from Smokie and Stuartl.
Latest Forum Posts