Fiesta - No
Corsa - No
Golf - No
Astra - No
Focus - No

The biggest seller was Tesla 3
 Biggest Seller in June? - smokie
Were volumes low?

I find it surprising how many people have about £40k to spend on a car, especially at a time when most peoples mileage will be quite a bit lower than normal.

I am personally pleased to see a shift towards greener motoring.
 Biggest Seller in June? - zippy
Company car leases perhaps. BIK is significantly lower on one of these at the moment.

One of my colleagues has one. He can't finance his own car at the moment so is sticking with the company car option.

Extended range model.

It's a £300 a month contribution on salary sacrifice but the contribution and the BIK is lower than the BIK alone on his last BMW and apparently the Tesla leaves it standing performance wise.

He did mention that the fit and trim were not so good and the leather seat material appears to be too thin.
 Biggest Seller in June? - Falkirk Bairn
www.nextgreencar.com/tax-calculator/tesla/model-3/

Friend of a son has one - BIK is under £4.00 per month on a £40K+ car
his
There is a foc charge point at workplace - so cost of private motoring is next to zero for 10k miles per year
 Biggest Seller in June? - Bill Payer
No idea how many are going for it but it's apparantly a good deal through the NHS salary sacrifice scheme.
 Biggest Seller in June? - Lygonos
www.speakev.com/attachments/june-fuel-2021-and-ytd-cars-png.146843/

BEV sales nearly 11% in June.

Biggest Seller in June? - Netsur
That will grow when some really good EVs come to the market, like the Hyundai Ionic 5 and Kia EV 6. They have top notch charging speeds and decent range so are getting close to real world ICE vehicle practicality.

I will be ordering one of these shortly. The equivalent sized European models are very half hearted in comparison. Slow charging unless you buy a top of the range model, no frunks which makes a mockery of rear engine RWD cars, design not really moving on. The Mercedes and Audi models are just clones of existing ICE models which negates all the advantages of no engine up front.

No surprise Tesla is storming ahead. Interesting designs, dedicated chargers, stupendous performance and good range. I prefer to sit a little higher and have a more practical interior. But I would never criticise someone who bought a T3 over any European EV.
 Biggest Seller in June? - sooty123
no frunks which makes a mockery of rear engine RWD cars,

What's a frunk?
A frunk is a "front trunk" ie.storage space under the bonnet.

MG must be making a push into Israel, Netsur, as there's a few Israelis on the MG EV facebook page - one posted a pic of his efficiency measured after a drive to the Dead Sea showing the battery fuller than when he had set off.

ZS EV is a good value machine - no frunk but it is FWD, ~160* mile range and has a full-size and well-shaped boot. Not sure if MG5 (Focus sized estate) is available there but has ~200* mile range for similar money (deals start around £21k in UK).

* subtract 25% for crappy winter range.
 Biggest Seller in June? - sherlock47
>>>a drive to the Dead Sea showing the battery fuller than when he had set off.<<<

I have a hazy memory that the Dead Sea is below 'sea-level' - is his negative consumption a result of long downhill journey?
 Biggest Seller in June? - hawkeye
About 1400 feet below sea level if my old atlas is to be believed!
>> >>>a drive to the Dead Sea showing the battery fuller than when he had set
>> off.<<<
>>
>> I have a hazy memory that the Dead Sea is below 'sea-level' - is his
>> negative consumption a result of long downhill journey?
>>

I would have thought so. It's 410m below sea level, read the sign on the bar I sat at during Easter 2018.

Israel of course developed the Better Place brand of Renaults with swappable batteries. Probably about six years too early for the market and it failed. Now it would be flying out of the showrooms as range anxiety would be reduced to almost zero, even for the most nervous of drivers.
Last edited by: Netsur on Tue 6 Jul 21 at 10:14
Tesla junked the idea 6 or 7 years ago - pretty impractical when you can recharge 300 miles of range in 30 minutes.

Consider the storage, off-car recharging, and capital cost of 1000s of kWh of battery.

Nio are still working on it in China I believe.
 Biggest Seller in June? - Zero
Battery swapping is not a solution for a number of reasons which is why it went no further
 Biggest Seller in June? - Dave_
>> MG must be making a push into Israel

I believe they are, we've sent a few Pimlico Blue (EV only colour) touch-up paints over there in the last few weeks. It's one of the first things new MG owners buy, along with mats and load liners. After about a year it's usually door mirror covers/indicator repeaters.
 Biggest Seller in June? - bathtub tom
>>door mirror

At last, someone gets it right!
 Biggest Seller in June? - Runfer D'Hills
Could we maybe talk about something else?
If that’s ok?
Thanks
 Biggest Seller in June? - VxFan
If this is a serious issue for you, then we'll get someone to look into it.

On reflection though, don't hold your breath.
You're on a wing and a prayer there!
 Biggest Seller in June? - Zero
bit wide of the mark
 Biggest Seller in June? - Clk Sec
Bet he's glad about that...
 Biggest Seller in June? - Robin O'Reliant
I 'spose we can't help looking back.
If you see the battle scars on most if not all Israeli cars, Runfer's slight mirror problem is less than a problem and more an opportunity. If an experienced tourist arriving at Tel Aviv airport is given a new rental car, they immediately demand a downgrade as that is likely to have four scraped sides.

They once tried to scam a whole new bumper onto me, but I had taken photos of the road rash visible on a two year old car as soon as I got out of the airport and got away with it. How they could know which scrape was mine was beyond me.
For some reason I am getting an awful lot of add on the site for door mirrors or door mirror repair kits.

I wouldn't mind but they just aren't the same as the ads that appear for Victoria Secrets :-)
 Biggest Seller in June? - VxFan
Not getting any of those ads at all. They must be in my blind spot.
Victoria's Secrets are no longer the exciting firm they once were. They now make use of the following lady as an ambassador: -

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan_Rapinoe

Not exactly Gisele Bundchen is she?

So, door mirrors are probably the most exciting thing in your life from now on...
 Biggest Seller in June? - R.P.
We see an awful lot of them around here, so I'm not surprised. There's two in our street (along with a Ferrari at the same address)
 Biggest Seller in June? - Manatee
They remind me of margarine tubs, like something Reliant might have made. I wouldn't have one - except of course as a free company car.

It's criminal that the rest of us are subidising such a generous tax break for the users.
Similar picture in France with both EV adoption, and Model 3 steaming ahead in sales.

www.automobile-propre.com/dossiers/chiffres-vente-immatriculations-france/
 Biggest Seller in June? - PeterS
Perhaps because it wasn’t on last year or perhaps because of the rate of progress in mass market EVs in taking market share, but the focus on them at Festival of Speed is markedly more apparent than it was when I was there in 2019. A whole area called Electric Avenue, and BMW had an electric boulevard in the stables are. FoS itself was a very pleasant experience, busy, but the usual good natured crowd, lots to see and some interesting kit. Some notable absences on the manufacturer front with VAG and Mercedes not there, but still plenty to see
 Biggest Seller in June? - Boxsterboy

>> The biggest seller was Tesla 3
>>

Tesla sale tend to be cyclical, depending on when deliveries arrive on the boat from the US. This is also seen in the French sales figures below.

July car sales (and YTD)

www.speakev.com/attachments/july-fuel-2021-and-ytd-cars-768x901-png.148025/

Hybrid/PHEV/EV nearly 30% of sales

At the 'affordable' end of the EV market MG have increased the battery of their MG5 small estate car to 61kWh (~250 summer miles range) and added the 'autopilot'/ACC stuff from the ZS.

Under MG's Affinity scheme it is £22,699 in base spec (metallic paint inc), £24,577 if you must have heated plastic seats, roof rails, and parking camera.

I suppose it's an EV equivalent of Zeddo's old Lancer estate.
 Biggest Seller in June? - smokie
Please do not feed the dinosaurs! :-)

Actually my neighbour recently did his first long run in his electric Kia eNiro. He's new to EVs and EV route planning. He had mixed success with en route charging, such that eventually he was absolutely fine with it but his wife said never again (with a smile!) He said even using public charging the journey cost him well under half the petrol cost. As for the car....
Must have been a 'proper' long run as eNiro can do 250+ miles on a charge.

Despite having owned an EV for over 4 years I still take the Honda for anything beyond its range.

Rumour has it that MG are going to be unveiling an uprated ZS in Sep/Oct with a 71kWh battery.

Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 6 Aug 21 at 13:58
 Biggest Seller in September? - Lygonos
And again in September - over 6,000 Model 3s.

Figures no doubt somewhat flattering as Tesla tend to deliver more at the end of each quarter.

Here's the latest sales-by-fuel-type charts:

www.speakev.com/attachments/september-fuel-2021-and-ytd-cars-png.150769/

Pure EVs 15% of sales.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Oct 21 at 10:22
 Biggest Seller in September? - Manatee
Model 3's are certainly not a rare sight round here. To me they have that margarine tub look, especially in white.
Looks are a bit polarising, not unlike the jelly mould Sierra post-Cortina.

Looks good to me.
 Biggest Seller in September? - Boxsterboy
Yes, Tesla Model 3 sales spike as the boats land - they have been the best selling car on individual months but do not feature in the top 10 year to date. I suspect we may see a similar profile in MGs EV sales?
>>I suspect we may see a similar profile in MGs EV sales?

Difficult to know MG don't do a 'per car' release, though somewhere between a third and a half of all sales are electric according to the sales director - sales since Jan of all MGs are over 20,000 according to a press release last month - in 2020 they sold just over 18,000 for the full Jan-Dec (which itself was 65% more than the previous 12 months).

They're expecting 30k sales this year and targetting 40k next year.

I wouldn't bet against them.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 6 Oct 21 at 11:16

October's figures for car sales:

www.speakev.com/attachments/october-fuel-2021-and-ytd-cars-png.152163/

Overall sales have gone off a cliff from 140k to 100k units.

Full EV over 15% of sales. Diesel less than 11%.

November - Full BEV almost 19% of sales (nearly 22,000 units).

MG's ZS is number 6 (which will include ICE variant sales), and Tesla 3 is 3rd on the list.

www.speakev.com/threads/are-ev-sales-doubling-every-year.16466/post-3136340

I suspect any legacy manufacturer with a strong EV plan in the pipeline will be sweating like Randy Andy now.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 6 Dec 21 at 12:49
 Biggest Seller in September? - Zero
>> November - Full BEV almost 19% of sales (nearly 22,000 units).
>>
>> MG's ZS is number 6 (which will include ICE variant sales), and Tesla 3 is
>> 3rd on the list.
>>
>> www.speakev.com/threads/are-ev-sales-doubling-every-year.16466/post-3136340

The manufacturer body remains concerned about the speed of roll-out of the charging network required to support the switchover to plug-ins. Its analysis shows the number of cars sharing an on-street charger has deteriorated from 11 in 2019 to 16 now. It says just one on-street charger was installed for every 52 new plug-ins registered this year.
 Biggest Seller in September? - sooty123
I wonder if there's any numbers on chargers at home being fitted.
>> I wonder if there's any numbers on chargers at home being fitted.

Probably for pure Evs its near one per car purchase (or one per multiple evs in the household)

I mean would you buy an EV car and depend just on public chargers?

I dont think anyone knows the ideal ratio of public chargers to EV cars yet, and probably not till it reaches 50% mass.
 Biggest Seller in September? - smokie
"I mean would you buy an EV car and depend just on public chargers?"

I wouldn't, and I was surprised that some of those on the (admittedly small) MG forum I joined seemed to depend either on a local Tesco/Adi/whatever or on being able to charge at work, or using the 13A socket granny cable at home.

I didn't fit a home charger when I had the B250e - only got one when I leased the 225xe for the gaffer.

We have a couple of public chargers within 10 mins walk from my house.
We have a couple of public chargers within 10 mins walk from my house.
>>

I just had a look on a site called zap map, nearest one to me that's open to the public is 2 hours walk away.
 Biggest Seller in September? - Crankcase
Used to use zapmap back when I had the Zoe. It wasn't accurate, and often marked non existent chargers, or old broken ones, or sometimes nearly but not quite the right place, which when you need it in the dark in an unfamiliar area isn't much fun.

Maybe it's got better. Any users here?

In the meantime, my charger sits outside unloved and unused and turned off. Maybe one day, if we don't move house first.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 6 Dec 21 at 17:38
using the 13A socket granny cable at home.
>>
>>
>>

How long is that in say the mg5 to charge from full?
>> >> I wonder if there's any numbers on chargers at home being fitted.
>>
>> Probably for pure Evs its near one per car purchase (or one per multiple evs
>> in the household)

Probably so, plus a few plug in hybrids.

>k anyone knows the ideal ratio of public chargers to EV cars yet,
>> and probably not till it reaches 50% mass.
>>

I'd say not, might not need as many as we think, with battery range increasing. I read something the other day about daily useage of cars. I don't know how true it is but, 31 miles av use for the main car in a house hold and 11 miles a day for the second car.
 Biggest Seller in September? - Boxsterboy
>> I'd say not, might not need as many as we think, with battery range increasing.
>> I read something the other day about daily useage of cars. I don't know how
>> true it is but, 31 miles av use for the main car in a house
>> hold and 11 miles a day for the second car.
>>

Yes, but according to a mate who has a Model 3, it's not as simple as that. Tesla tell owners to plug in every night to condition the battery, regardless of how much (or little) use it has had. It's not at all like an ICE which you can just fill up when it's empty.
Yes, but according to a mate who has a Model 3, it's not as simple
>> as that. Tesla tell owners to plug in every night to condition the battery, regardless
>> of how much (or little) use it has had. It's not at all like an
>> ICE which you can just fill up when it's empty.
>>

I guess though there's not much draw on the grid if you are just adding a small amount of range. I wonder how much difference it makes to the battery life?
The manual says 20 - 22 hours for a 0 - 100% charge on the granny charger. 7.5 hours on my wall charger. About 40 minutes on a public rapid charger. The capacity is 61kWh.

Your stat about 31 mile daily mileage is certainly true for me, there are many days when the car doesn't go anywhere. That's why I hardly ever had to put petrol into the Ampera, with a range of 30 - 40 miles. And even less for the 2nd car usually. Of course, when i was working things were different but only when I was on a project based away from home somewhere. On average 30 miles a day (10000 a year) is probably about right for most.

And you're right, if you are "topping up" it take a lot less. The MG people seem to be getting 3 - 4 miles per kWh in this weather. So 8 - 10 kWh of them for the average motorist per day. (My battery is 61 kWh I think)

The manual for the MG says that an equalisaiton charge happens after each charge but if it hasn't been done for some time it will prompt you to do it. ISTR someone on the forum said a month of partial charging prompted the message. Certainly not nightly.
>>Tesla tell owners to plug in every night to condition the battery

Unnecessary - plug is whenever you want but don't leave the battery very low or very high for days on end.

Once a month charge to full and leave the car on charge to balance the cells.

I'd never really thought of it before but the likes of MG, where the cars are imported, are heavily dependent on suitable vessels then road transport to get cars registered. MG had at least 4 boats come in last month loaded with cars, often around 2000 apiece IIRC.

They usually dock at Bristol then of course there needs to be about 250 x 8 car transporters to move them elsewhere (maybe some go by rail).

I only happened on this because mine was delivered to Southampton (allegedly in error) and they couldn't get transport to take it to Bristol where their checking in facility is, then onwards to the dealer, hence a couple of weeks extra delay on my delivery.

I was asked if they could register mine in Nov even though I wouldn't get it till Dec, which I was OK with. That's not unusual is it, when they are either trying to achieve a sales target or get a score in the sales tables.
 Biggest Seller in September? - No FM2R

>> I was asked if they could register mine in Nov even though I wouldn't get
>> it till Dec, which I was OK with. That's not unusual is it, when they
>> are either trying to achieve a sales target or get a score in the sales
>> tables.
>>

Not unusual, no. But I'd have been firmly in the "what's in it for me?" Camp.

>> They usually dock at Bristol then of course there needs to be about 250 x
>> 8 car transporters to move them elsewhere (maybe some go by rail).

Not from Portbury, I think, tho they are regrading the line. Southampton is a heavy user of rail based autoloaders, but then you have to makes sure the transport ships dont overturn on Bramble bank.

cars into southampton... www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fa5KkRKQlU&t=317s

Cars not making it out of Southhampton. www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1IpH2kJ_Q

Biggest Seller in December ? - Lygonos
Don't have the figures but here's a wee graphic of December sales.

Lots of manufacturers taking a hit from poor supply.

Tesla sales almost twice that of Ford (and they have a single model for sale: the 3)

Over 25% full electric sales.

www.speakev.com/attachments/20220104_090402-jpg.155035/
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 4 Jan 22 at 20:09
 Biggest Seller in December ? - smokie
"General Motors 90-year reign as top US car seller ends"

www.bbc.com/news/business-59874070
 Biggest Seller in December ? - Boxsterboy
>> "General Motors 90-year reign as top US car seller ends"
>>
>> www.bbc.com/news/business-59874070
>>

Just as they end their reign in the US, their former subsidiary has the best-selling car this year in the UK - the Corsa.
 Biggest Seller in December ? - Boxsterboy
>> Lots of manufacturers taking a hit from poor supply.
>>
>> Tesla sales almost twice that of Ford (and they have a single model for sale:
>> the 3)
>>

I read that Ford are concentrating their limited semi-conducter supply into van production, which is more profitable than cars. So I suspect that Stellantis and VW may well be doing the same - which might partly explains the drop in sales from the larger manufacturers?
 Biggest Seller in December ? - Lygonos
Year-on-year figures by vehicle type:

www.speakev.com/attachments/december-fuel-2021-and-ytd-cars-900x1061-png.155131/

Model sales December/whole 2021:

www.speakev.com/attachments/december-2021-best-sellers_cars-1024x479-png.155132/

Sales of BEV by model 2021:

www.speakev.com/attachments/fy-2021-best-sellers-bev-cars-1024x880-png.155133/
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 6 Jan 22 at 11:35
 Big Seller - Rolls Royce - VxFan
Rolls-Royce sold a record number of vehicles during 2021. The company delivered 5,586 cars globally, which represents a 49 per cent increase over the previous year.

That figure is the highest annual sales figure Rolls-Royce has achieved during its 117-year history. The growth was primarily driven by the new Ghost saloon, but order books for the firm’s stalwart model, the Phantom, are also full well into the third quarter of 2022.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/357050/rolls-royce-sales-49-cent-during-2021
 Big Seller - Rolls Royce - Rudedog
From what's been reported Bentley also had a record breaking sales year in 2020/21.
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - Lygonos
Fill yer boots with March's sales figures.

Top is Tesla, second is Tesla...

www.speakev.com/threads/are-ev-sales-doubling-every-year.16466/post-3218593
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - Terry
It may be because:

(a) they are the best motor around
(b) they were the only ones with stock in March due to component shortages
(c) they held back in Jan and Feb to play catch up in March

Probably a bit of all these.
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - Biggles
(d) the boat from China arrived in Southampton.
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - Rudedog
Interesting for a company that has very mixed reviews especially around build quality... also on the R4 business news this morning I heard them say that EM has not spent a single dollar on Tesla advertising.
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - Crankcase
Here's a man who isn't a fan. Don't need to watch the whole thing, but his attempt to get the Tesla even moving amused me.

youtube.com/watch?v=A-M9Z6F18Vk
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - legacylad
Enjoyed that.
re charging points.....last Thursday I was led on a mountain walk from the small compact village of Famorca, inhabitants 48, a two donkey place just up the twisty CV-720 from Castell de Castells.

Tucked away near the old font were two recently installed EV charging points. You couldn’t make it up. My fluent Spanish speaking friend asked a local farmer, in his 15 yo Vitara, why ? He laughed, shrugged and thanked the German taxpayer ...when we returned the bays were occupied by an old Shogun and battered Berlingo.
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - Bobby
Actually enjoyed that Tesla video. I know it’s the future and I’m no technophobe but they really have taken things to a new level with regards to complicating things! Too much going on in the iPad as opposed to normal switches and buttons. I mean, press an option on the iPad to open the glove box??
But one thing I noticed- says there are no front USB ports for the driver. I thought Apple Play and the like had to have a hard connection to work?
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - smokie
My car has Android Auto and requires hard wire but from others on the forum there are (more expensive) cars which do it wirelessly.
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - Crankcase
One of our better educated Tesla owners will confirm, but I THINk the model 3 does have USB sockets, but they are under the wireless charging area. Which is why Stavros missed them in the video.
>> One of our better educated Tesla owners will confirm, but I THINk the model 3
>> does have USB sockets, but they are under the wireless charging area. Which is why
>> Stavros missed them in the video.
>>
In my MY2020 Focus I have both wireless charging for my telephone and USB to hardwire it so I can use the Apple Car Play facility. Which doesn’t work wireless.

And a heated steering wheel, plus head up display. And 3 cylinders. It’s all the car you would ever need.

I’m sure Zeddo would agree :-)
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - VxFan
>> And 3 cylinders. It’s all the car you would ever need.

At least a cylinder short of a proper engine ;)

Plus all those 3 cylinder units sound like sewing machines when revved up.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 7 Apr 22 at 12:52
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - bathtub tom
>> Plus all those 3 cylinder units sound like sewing machines when revved up.

Until the cam belt expires from being bathed in oil.
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - RichardW
(e) because they're all company cars, sponsored by the tax payers with huge tax breaks. It's also the reason diesel cars have fallen away.
Possibly some good deals to be had on diesel cars ? Friend of mine has just bought a 2.0 Tdi Tiguan ex demo at a massive saving on list. His previous car was a 2.0 Tdi Golf Estate. Like the Golf he’ll probably run it for at least 10 years. ...doesn’t drive in cities, rural motoring and the increase in diesel fuel prices has probably worked in his favour by reducing demand for such vehicles.
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - Bobby
Interesting re Diesel.
Friend has a Mazda CX-5 Petrol.
Asked me the other day my thoughts on a used diesel Audi Q2. I told him not to touch diesels with a barge pole now, especially coming from a petrol just now and only doing about 8k Town miles a year.

I fully expect him to roll up in that Q2 sometime soon…
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - zippy
My Tucson Diesel only did 5k miles last year and this week has already done 500 as I am back on the road so hopefully the DPF can be regenerated.

I have had difficulty getting diesel though and the cost is eye watering (£95 a tank for the premium stuff as that was all that was available, that up from £62 in January).

Not bad consumption figures though at 58mpg brim to brim without taking too much care but not hammering it on motorways.
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - zippy
>> I have had difficulty getting diesel though and the cost is eye watering (£95 a
>> tank for the premium stuff)

It wasn’t me Guv, honest!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10693973/Daring-thieves-steal-250-000-diesel-meant-power-Royal-Navy-warship.html
 Biggest selling model - Tesla - Boxsterboy
>> (e) because they're all company cars, sponsored by the tax payers with huge tax breaks.
>> It's also the reason diesel cars have fallen away.
>>

Exactly this. After all, when was the last time that a £55,000-plus car was the best seller? (answer: never)
 Car sales ICE & EV - Lygonos
Can't find whatever thread I posted in previously (was the summer I think) but latest sales figures show full EV sales now over 20%.

November and YTD figures:

www.speakev.com/attachments/nov-fuel-2022-and-ytd-cars-768x901-png.169794

Top 10 makes/models (Nov & YTD):

www.speakev.com/attachments/nov-2022-best-sellers_cars-768x359-png.169793

Expect a spike in BEV sales in December as that is usually when Tesla dump a load of cars (end of quarter)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 5 Dec 22 at 14:08
 Car sales ICE & EV - VxFan
This one?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=29102
Attaboy :-)
 Car sales ICE & EV - VxFan
Now merged.
December and 2022 full year pics:

www.speakev.com/attachments/dec-2022-best_sellers_cars-1024x478-png.170907/

www.speakev.com/attachments/dec-fuel-2022-and-ytd-cars-900x1056-png.170908/

Summary:

A third of December's car sales were BEV (Tesla's end-quarter sales always bump this), through whole of 2022 16.6% of new cars were full EVs (up from 11.6% in 2021)

Tesla's Model Y (which starts at over 50 grand) was the 3rd biggest selling car model of the year (only a spit away from being 2nd).

This pic is the top ten EVs sold during 2022:

www.speakev.com/attachments/20230106_050936-png.170948/
 Car sales ICE & EV - Boxsterboy
I wonder what proportion of these sales are private? I would guess that given their high list price and incredibly generous taxation status for companies and company car drivers, the vast majority will be company purchases/leases
 Car sales ICE & EV - zippy
A lot of staff have opted for electric cars from the company car scheme here but there are none within the standard budget, which used to be based on the equivalent of a Passat but you'd be lucky to get a base Fiesta within budget now.

Whilst BIK may be lower, there is a contribution to be made to the overall cost of the car and that grinds because you still have to pay it if you leave the company or move to a role without a company car so I haven't bothered.

Also, the lease company's website doesn't seem to work for company car choices but does for salary sacrifice cars. The salary sacrifice car scheme is more expensive than deals one can find on sites like Nationwide Lease and Lease Loco, even with the 40% tax saving so it appears to me as straight out profiteering and thinking that people will not check the market. Funny that the company car side of the website doesn't work with predatory pricing for salary sacrifice being so prominent.

I was surprised the Govt didn't start upping the BIK on electric cars. They have had the beneficial rate for a number of years now and is probably one of the reasons that prices remain high.
cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/tesla-prices-are-in-free-fall-as-latest-used-car-data-shows-huge-drops-in-value/277342

New EVs are popular to business buyers for taxation/BiK reasons, but those benefit largely disappear once they are used and as Teslas start to arrive on the second-hand market it seems used car buyers are not convinced. The highest depreciating new cars are EVs - Tesla in particular. And their price drop of up to £8,000 last week will only make residuals worse, which in turn of course will affect the monthly payments for new EVs.
 Car sales ICE & EV - Bromptonaut
So what's the retail price of a 3 year old Tesla that's been on a business lease?
There are over 1,000 Model 3s on Auto Trader, the cheapest is £26,000 for an 3-year old with 88,000 on the clock. I have no clue what the 'book' value is!
Stacks of 'em coming off lease so will crash the prices.

The knock-on of course is pushing other makes to cut their prices too.

2 years ago a boggo VW iD3 could be had for 25k, and last year I bought a 73kWh MG ZS for 26.6k.

This year will see the supply:demand ratio spring back to a more 'normal' level due to improving supply and weakening demand.
 Car sales ICE & EV - CGNorwich
That would have been around £40,000 new in 2020 so doesnt seem too bad
 Car sales ICE & EV - Bobby
Interesting explainer in a recent video from Harry Metcalfe why so many EVs registered towards the end of the calendar year. I didn’t realise the full implications and fines applicable if manufacturers didn’t balance their total emission sales. Thus many need to quickly sell electric cars to balance the ICE cars produced that year.

youtu.be/rCywUzKJs30
 Car sales ICE & EV - martin aston
Thanks for this Bobby. There was a lot of advance coverage of the fleet average fines a couple of years ago but I’ve found little since.
The cost of emissions fines (even if part offset by EVs) must be adding to the retail price of ICE cars but it’s getting obscured by all the other upward price pressures.
 Car sales ICE & EV - sooty123
cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/car-planet-boss-says-supermarket-group-will-no-longer-stock-used-evs-due-to-nuts-price-drops/282536
 Car sales ICE & EV - Zero
cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/revealed-the-electric-used-cars-that-increased-and-decreased-the-most-in-value-in-march/282430
 Car sales ICE & EV - Shiny
China has encouraged foreign car makers to invest massivly there as it represents 1/3rd of the global market. There is a stock of 4,000,000 new cars awaiting sale that are now illegal - they recently pulled the plug on them. Their way of bankrupting the competition.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdyisjUs_2g
Latest Forum Posts