Non-motoring > Football Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 166

Football - Duncan
I am surprised no one has posted this.

Our Scottish chums came second in the footie. Not bad for a first effort.
 Football - Robin O'Reliant
They only game most of them care about is the one against England on Friday, tournaments don't really matter.
 Football - Fullchat
Found some submarine racing on one of the channels :)
 Football - henry k
>> Found some submarine racing on one of the channels :)
>>
Was it Aussie rules ?
 Football - Duncan
England v Scotland

Well, I sort of watched it, well, bits of it.

Are all football matches as boring as that?

If there was a system where you paid for your ticket as you left the ground and the price you paid was your assessment of the enjoyment and pleasure you had got from the game, how much would you have paid for that game last night?
 Football - sooty123
No they aren't as boring as that, was that the first football match you've watched?
Some of the stories and headlines on the BBC seem a nonsense, things like Scotland 'bossing' England and so on. Must have been watching a different game.
It was a cagey dull nil nil draw, they happen time to move on and ready for the next game.
It was a very good game.

But if you don't like football you just won't understand it, just as a pulsating rugby match would leave me cold.
 Football - No FM2R
I do like football, though I am certainly no expert.

How was it a good game?

I found it tedious, tentative and very, very boring. The people I watched it with, two of home are far more expert than I, seemed to think much the same.
 Football - Zero
It was about as exciting as any Scottish team gets, which is not much.
 Football - No FM2R
I think the Scottish were only 50% to blame for the boredom levels.

I've never been impressed with Kane as an all round player, and yesterday even less so. Time he stopped starting, if you see what I mean.
Kane has carried Tottenham all season and is probably knackered.
 Football - No FM2R
That could be. In which case he should be doing what he does best which is to hang around the goal area pouncing on anything that moves, not trying to run around midfield.
 Football - Duncan
>> No they aren't as boring as that, was that the first football match you've watched?
>>

It was the first football match that I had watched for a looong time. The secondary school I went to played rugby, I converted, loved it, have been involved ever since - played rugby into my 50s, steward at Twickenham, steward at Harlequins, tour guide at Twickenham, various offices in my rugby club etc.

Today I went to my rugby club, watched on the telly the premiership semi-final between Bristol and Harlequins, Quins came from 28 - 0 down to beat Bristol 36 - 43 in extra time.

Which do you think was the better game to watch? England football last night, or Harlequins rugby today?
 Football - sooty123
I only watched the England game, so I'm not able to compare them.
 Football - No FM2R
>>Which do you think was the better game to watch? England football last night, or Harlequins rugby today?

Rather depends on which sport you prefer, surely?
 Football - James Loveless
It's always going to be better to watch a good game than a poor one, whatever the sport.

Both soccer and rugby have their good and bad games.
 Football - No FM2R
With limits.

Ice hockey & basketball. I can't stand more than about 60 seconds of either on the TV, though both are a little better live.
The Scots have a new national anthem.

"Oh wilting flower of Scotland".
 Football - PeterS
Looks like Scotland might be leaving Europe against their will a second time ;)

caveat…I know nothing about football, but I heard someone say it and it just sounded funny
 Football - Zero
Think I want to vomit actually. "They did well", "They can build from this" "So proud of them"

They won nothing, they came bottom, all they are returning with is a new strain of covid.

But they drew against England, which makes them a superpower.
 Football - Kevin
Five minutes in and England have completed more passes to German players than their own.
 Football - Zero
Yeah, its one of the export guarantee rules we sighed up to under Brexit.
 Football - Zero
Jezuz Mary Joseph and a whole corral of wee little donkeys
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 29 Jun 21 at 19:01
 Football - No FM2R
I didn't win the sweepstakes. 8-(
I missed the second goal and thankfully for the benefit of my heart also the Muller chance. I couldn't stand the tension and had to go out for a cigarette.
 Football - zippy
I enjoy a game when I have the time, but I don't follow any team.

I do try and watch the England games and tonight's was good fun!

Well done lads!
If Muller had buried his chance England would have gone on to lose, odds on.
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> If Muller had buried his chance England would have gone on to lose, odds on.

Meanwhile, in other news, Mark Cavendish won today's stage of the Tour de France and took the Green Jersey.
>>
>>
>> Meanwhile, in other news, Mark Cavendish won today's stage of the Tour de France and
>> took the Green Jersey.
>>

I watched it Brompt, his first in five years and 31st in total. Only four behind Big Ted now.
 Football - sooty123
>> If Muller had buried his chance England would have gone on to lose, odds on.
>>

If buts and maybes, not required tonight! :-)
 Football - Duncan
And it is not worthy of mention that the oiks booed the other team's anthem and booed the other team every time they got the ball!

Shakes head in disbelief.
 Football - sooty123
>> And it is not worthy of mention that the oiks booed the other team's anthem
>> and booed the other team every time they got the ball!
>>
>> Shakes head in disbelief.
>>

I think someone mentioned it.
 Football - No FM2R
>> And it is not worthy of mention that the oiks booed the other team's anthem
>> and booed the other team every time they got the ball!

I think we need to congratulate them on reaching the absolute limit of their potential.

They have little other than grunts to contribute to the universe, so one can understand their pride in the sound of their grunts.
 Football - legacylad
After a hot sunny day in t’Dales i decided to go on an evening walk. I’m now indifferent to football, despite watching it since I was 7yo and having a season ticket for a decade in times past.
Amazingly quiet on the hill, and like Forrest Gump I kept on going..my normal 6 mile walk from home turned into double that and the sun had set by the time I got home.
Just in time to watch the goals on itv news...I hope they do well, it’s good for the country, but I just don’t get why people wear football shirts and throw beer in the air.
Glad I was nowhere near a pub tonight.
As was my liver.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 29 Jun 21 at 23:41
 Football - Lygonos
Wasn't watching the game, but there's a pub across the road from me.

Heard a big cheer go up and immediately thought "That'll be the Germans ahead", then another later on.

Surprised it was England goals being cheered!
 Football - Dog
>>Surprised it was England goals being cheered!

Clearly, 3 sheets to the wind.
 Football - Dog
>>like Forrest Gump I kept on going..my normal 6 mile walk from home turned into double that

Pah! .. I doos 14km every day on my Branx treadmill - at 5km ph + an incline of 8%

OldDog.
Bloomin' hell!!!
 Football - zippy
>> Bloomin' hell!!!
>>

I'm just checking that I'm not in a strange alternate reality.

Miss Z is in London with the girls for a weekend away and reports that the pubs are all showing the game.

Mrs Z has announced that she loves Harry Kane :-/
 Football - No FM2R
Indeed.

What do you reckon on 5?
 Football - sooty123
I don't think I've seen Eng so comfortable in a big game. Only minor flap was when Pickford came running out, probably due to boredom. I think it's the first time a team has kept 5 clean sheets on the bounce in the Euros.
It's important not to get carried away though. Denmark are going to be a tougher proposition in the semi final.

Southgate does however do a very good job of keeping the player's feet on the ground.
 Football - legacylad
Marvellous.
Only 2 of us in the gym tonight. I watched some of the game, without sound, and on a small screen, on an elliptical cross trainer thingy.
Plenty of sore heads tomorrow if the noise from the Social Club is anything to go by as I walked home at 21:30.
 Football - bathtub tom
I reckon most of the country don't care any more, they're so pleased at beating Germany any other success is just the icing on the cake.
 Football - No FM2R
Well, going by the very few English I have contact with I would have to disagree.

Huge enthusiasm today and great anticipation for Wednesday.

A win is a win. And England need 2 more.
 Football - legacylad
I shouldn’t be surprised but I still find it amazing that near KO time the streets and roads become quiet like a zombie apocalypse. At least they do in Settle.
19:30 hours yesterday the market square was almost deserted. No bikers, a handful of younger folks scurrying to local pubs, raucous noise and voices emanating from the 3 pubs.
A strange experience.
Followed by the mother of all thunder and lightning storms at 22:30, but a sunny AM and the hills beckon
 Football - Fullchat
Mr FC is doing some 24 super running event at Bramham Park outside Leeds. It was suspended due to lightning and heavy rain late evening. Shes not home yet so was either struck or they resumed :)
 Football - helicopter
Apparently Bobby Charlton was asked how the 1966 England team would fare against todays team. He replied that the 1966 team would win 1-0.

'Why only 1-0 'he was asked....

'Well half our lot are dead and the rest are in their seventies'..

Football - sooty123
Wrong thread
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=27627
 Football - No FM2R
Actually, not Charlton it was Martin Peters. And it was 15 years ago.

www.theguardian.com/football/2006/apr/08/newsstory.sport
 Football - Bromptonaut
Apparently the Ukraine team were unable to select a key player for last night's game after he tested positive for Covid.

It was their right back bt the name of Tiklij Chestikoff.
 Football - sooty123
Well, Eng are through to the final.

I thought I'd never seen that written down.
 Football - Zero
My gob is well and truly smacked. My ghast is flabbered.
 Football - zippy
Enjoyable game!

Can't wait 'till Sunday.
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 7 Jul 21 at 23:23
 Football - No FM2R
Well done England, not a comfortable match but a fair win.

On to the final.
 Football - Kevin
Yes, but it took the Danish goal to get England to take it up a notch. They didn't seem to be making much effort until that point.

That penalty decision is going to be a talking point though. On the replay I didn't think it was a penalty but maybe that's why I'm not an international ref. Just glad it didn't go to penalties after watching Kane's effort. I hate penalty shootouts and wish there was a better way to decide the winner.
 Football - Zero
This is from Il Gazzettino an Italian Newspaper

Google translate conspires to make this a remarkably poetic piece. -

The final of Euro 2020 will be Italy-England . Coming back, up to extra time, from the great fear to the explosion of Wembley: England overturns Denmark and, for the first time in their history, conquers the European final: on Sunday evening they will face Italy. It is a concentration of emotions and uncertainty, the second semi-final of Euro 2020 which is resolved only after 120 ', decided by a penalty - much contested by the Danes - awarded for a foul in the area by Joakim Maehle on Raheem Sterling.

To rewrite the history of the Three Lions is the captain, Harry Kane, clearly the best in the field, who redeems the error from the spot by replying on the net the rejection of Kasper Schmeichel. Deserved epilogue for the home national team - driven by the incessant fans of the 60,000 present in the stands of the London stadium - which thus becomes the 13th finalist in the 60-year history of the European Championship. In the stands, in addition to Prince William, honorary president of the English Football Association, there is also - for the first time in the tournament - Premier Boris Johnson, accompanied by his wife Carrie. Ready-to-go, and England is off to a flying start, propelled by the vibrant sound waves of Wembley, the beating heart of a nation in anticipation. Compared to the last victory, against Ukraine, he finds a starting shirt Bukayo Saka, favorite to Jadon Sancho: usual form, back four, with Kane offensive terminal. But Raheem Sterling is usually the first scratch of the evening: primed by Kane, he chokes the conclusion, he saves Schmeichel easy.

Having overcome the initial setbacks, Denmark is not long in getting into the game. And, when it does, for the English fans, it's chills. Because Kasper Hjulmand's team, which confirms the 11 winners over the Czech Republic, plays boldly, pressing across the board, without fear. To give her a hand, unwittingly, thinks Jordan Pickford who first saves on Pierre-Emile Hojgberg but then returns badly on the feet of Martin Braithwaite: ball just on the bottom. Shortly before the half hour Mikkel Damsgaard, a young talent from Sampdoria, takes the chair: after having taken the measures with a round conclusion, which ends on the bottom, he carries on his own with a spectacular free kick from 30 meters. A ballistic solution of rare power, albeit central, which interrupts the inviolability of the English goal after 555 minutes.

Those who expect the immediate reaction of the hosts are disappointed: Kane and his companions seem to feel the blow, the cold falls on Wembley. Southgate calls for calm, but it's still Kane, in the guise of inspirer, who has to play the charge. With a blatant assist for the usual Sterling who kicks on Schmeichel. It is the prelude to the equalizer, which takes place before the break: Kane finds Bukayo Saka in depth, on his low cross Simon Kjaer - to anticipate Sterling - bags into his own goal, for the 11th own goal of this European. A casual draw, but deserved because now England is there. And he confirms this when he returns to the field, when he definitely takes control of the maneuver. Pressure is increasing on Denmark, which is increasingly struggling to restart. But Schmeichel's rescue on the sure shot of his former teammate Harry Maguire is even spectacular: a plastic postcard flight worthy of the surname he bears. Beyond a Danish start, with Martin Braithwaite, it is only England, who presses, but without finding the tear or the winning invention. So Southgate plays the Jack Grealish card, but as the minutes pass the fear of losing prevails and both teams end up relying solely on individual initiatives. After Maguire's last header, the semifinal drags on to extra time. Immediately lit by Kane's diagonal: save Schmeichel. Who also rejects the penalty of Kane, but can do nothing about the retort of the English center forward, in the fourth European center. There is still an extra time to win: a long deafening countdown, lived in emotional apnea, until the final triple whistle. When Wembley is an eruption of irrepressible joy.

Football - Kevin
>This is from Il Gazzettino..

This is the headline from today's Basingstoke Gazzettino -

"Adorable mini dachshund Sidney wins Gazette and Advertiser Pet Idol 2021 contest"
 Football - tyrednemotional
>>
>> "Adorable mini dachshund Sidney wins Gazette and Advertiser Pet Idol 2021 contest"
>>

.....did he win it on penalties?.....
 Football - Zero
>> >>
>> >> "Adorable mini dachshund Sidney wins Gazette and Advertiser Pet Idol 2021 contest"
>> >>
>>
>> .....did he win it on penalties?.....

No-one picked up after him for sure, Bastokians have embraced the fashion philosophy of sh it bags, but not the concept of poo bags.
 Football - Zero
>> Well done England, not a comfortable match

You need to learnt to win in ways like this.
 Football - henry k
....and the reports of the match in the Danish press ?
 Football - Zero
>> ....and the reports of the match in the Danish press ?

Most of them claim to have been robbed by a dubious penalty.

From Kristeligt Dagblad

The Danish football adventure is over for this time.

40 days after the European Championship team showed up at Kastrup Airport and traveled to training camp in Austria, Kasper Hjulmand's team was sent out of the European Championship by England in the semifinals.

It happened on Wednesday night at Wembley, where a hard-fought Danish team had to capitulate after extended playing time. The 90 regular minutes ended 1-1 before England won 2-1 after extra time.

Mikkel Damsgaard had otherwise put Denmark ahead 1-0 on a free kick in the first half, but before the break the English equalized on an own goal by a relegated Simon Kjær.

In goal, Kasper Schmeichel showed world-class time and time again, and he also saved a penalty kick from Harry Kane in extra time, but the English star was first over the return ball and won the match.

That goal was the end of an emotional European Championship final, which began with Christian Eriksen's cardiac arrest and resuscitation. Since then, the European Championship team helped to unite the Danes about football, which was the basis for the folk festivals that have been in the streets and alleys across the country in recent weeks.

On Sunday, however, the football parties will take place in Italy and England, when the two teams meet in the European Championship final.

The first Danish European Championship semi-final in 29 years was intense and captivating from the first to the last whistle.

The English tried to kiss the Danes with an energy-based pressure in the beginning of the match, but after Denmark had resisted it for a quarter of an hour, the English had for a while run out of energy.

The first attempt of the match came after 25 minutes of play, when Mikkel Damsgaard turned the ball just past the goal frame.

That was apparently enough to make the football comet from Jyllinge hot. Five minutes later, he blasted Denmark in front directly on a free kick a handful of meters outside the field and sent the 8000 Danish fans behind one goal in ecstasy.

Maybe the English thought it was Jens Stryger Larsen who should take the free kick, but instead it was 21-year-old Damsgaard. He ran to the ball and banged it over Harry Kane and the rest of the English Wall.

In the goal, Jordan Pickford got the tip of his fingers on, but not enough to fend off the tournament's first goal against England.

The lead goal came as a shock to most of Wembley, and the next few minutes both the English players and fans just had to find themselves before they were ready to allocate forces for a sporting and vocal response.

When the English first got themselves picked up, the reward came.

First, however, Raheem Sterling managed to burn a huge chance when he on a straight cross from Harry Kane got the ball all alone with Kasper Schmeichel from close range. However, Sterling only managed to smash the ball in the middle of the Danish bouncer.

A few moments later came the equalizer.

The ball was then played back to Jannik Vestergaard who had the whole net open before him, but only managed to hit the post.

In an attempt to ward off the post, Simon Kjær directed the ball into his own net. Had the Danish captain not tried it, Sterling, despite the blur the seconds before, could hardly have avoided equalizing anyway.

Thus, the score was 1-1 after 39 minutes of play, and it would take another 65 minutes - and two breaks - before the match's next goal fell.

In the long intermediate period, England were the best and the home team could also have settled the match in regular time.

Ten minutes after the break, Kasper Schmeichel had to dish up a world-class save on Harry Maguire's header attempt after a set piece.

There were draws for many English chances, but the team's endings were either outside the goal frame or were blocked by the heroic Danish defenders.

The heavy English pressure continued into the extended playing time.

Three minutes after the short water and instruction break, Kasper Schmeichel again showed goalkeeping play at the highest level as he dived down and averted Harry Kane's hard, flat kicks.

Since then, he also pillaged Kane's penalty kick, but could not line up anything against the return ball.

Before that, the Danish players had complained violently about the penalty kick, which Joakim Mæhle committed. Seconds before the offense, there were two balls on the court - close to each other - but the game was allowed to continue. WAS then also no reason to cancel the penalty kick.

Denmark had a quarter plus the loose to equalize, and although the Danes for the first time since the first half had longer periods on the ball, there was only danger on the move once, where Martin Braithwaite forced Pickford to a good save.

The English players were carried to the final whistle by an impressive soundscape, and on Sunday they will have the opportunity to put an end to 55 years of national team suffering for the proud, but otherwise often underperforming football nation.

Football - henry k
Thanks for what appears to be a fair report.
 Football - zippy
www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15530991/england-charged-euro-2020-schmeichel-laser-denmark-uefa/

Sometimes I think I am not the same species as other people who do this sort of thing.

A very good win against a strong Danish side. The penalty was awarded after a VAR check, sometimes these are given, sometimes not. But England should have had a penalty earlier for that trip on Kane so it balanced out.

Even if you hate football, it's worth celebrating if only for the reaction of the Jocks.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 8 Jul 21 at 13:58
 Football - sooty123
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57760685

A few more views from abroad.
 Football - Kevin
Ruddy hell! 2 minutes!
 Football - Zero
Great goal too, dragging the Italian defence one way, passing it through the empty side then crossing to the late man from the back, that was a training ground goal.
 Football - Kevin
That equaliser was always coming with the way that England started the second half.

Gutted for Saka. He's played brilliantly the whole tournament.
 Football - Manatee
I didn't watch. I try to be indifferent to fi'bal and I suppose I am but I really detest all the 'football talk'.

Looking at the stats, Italy had the best of it, so a right result. I think I prefer whinging to crowing anyway.

I have actually been at an England match. World cup, 2006 I think. I thought I might understand if I was there but I couldn't really understand what was going on with no commentary. They lost that one on penalties.
 Football - Bobby
Well as a Jock, I think the best team won the tournament. Think they have gone 30 off games without defeat now. Other than the early goal I can’t remember England troubling their keeper too much.

Once Italy equalised it looked as if England just didn’t have a plan to get back in game. And I get that players make decisions, but letting a 19 year old take the kick that decides your fate? Where are all the experienced pros willing to take the responsibility? But touching on that, England are a young team and have huge potential in front of them.

But, I do actually feel sorry for the vast majority of England players and supporters. Think Southgate comes across as a thoroughly decent human being as do the majority of the players.

My last thought, as a penalty taker, before you RUN up, decide where you are hitting it and bullet it there! All this tip toeing and stuttering puts off the penalty taker more than it puts off the keeper.

Tough luck England

Football - Bobby
And if there was any justice in the world, Rashford would have scored the winning penalty.
 Football - zippy
Sad result.

Fantastic evening. Kids at home, watching with us. Cooked a curry in the slow cooker from 10:00AM, plus all the extras and a few bottles of chilled beer.

Lots of cheers, lots or noooos. Lots of get the ball up the other end....!

Football - Zero
>> And if there was any justice in the world, Rashford would have scored the winning
>> penalty.

If he had not tried to be a cocky sod he wouldn't have missed it. Worse, by showboating and failing he put pressure on the rest.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 12 Jul 21 at 08:13
 Football - sooty123
Indeed there's a world of difference between taking your time or perhaps a pause and a tap dance routine on the run up.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 12 Jul 21 at 08:33
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> Indeed there's a world of difference between taking your time or perhaps a pause and
>> a tap dance routine on the run up.

That looked odd; a strikers version of the Grobelaar technique. I don't follow football enough to know whether it's the same in the domestic game but several of them did it in last night's match.

Rashford's attempt was so near, the goalie went completely the wrong way. An inch or so to the right and it would have counted.

Football - Duncan
>> Rashford's attempt was so near, the goalie went completely the wrong way. An inch or
>> so to the right and it would have counted.

And if my aunt had testicles and been called Robert, she would have been my uncle.
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> And if my aunt had testicles and been called Robert, she would have been my
>> uncle.

I guess it's a bit like the classic Colemanballs 'If that had gone in it would have been a goal'.

What I meant was it wasn't one of those complete miss kicks that balloons way over the top.
 Football - Zero
>
>> What I meant was it wasn't one of those complete miss kicks that balloons way
>> over the top.

The keeper went the wrong way SO he had 14.5 sq meters of goal to score in from 12 yards away.

You are right its not a miskick, its negligence.
 Football - sooty123
That looked odd; a strikers version of the Grobelaar technique. I don't follow football enough
>> to know whether it's the same in the domestic game but several of them did
>> it in last night's match.

Some of it is from the training ground and briefs they've had (sports statos and the such), there's a school of thought that many players miss because they rush their penalty and taking your time increases the chance of scoring. Whether taking your time includes a tap dance routine up to the ball I don't know.

>> Rashford's attempt was so near, the goalie went completely the wrong way. An inch or
>> so to the right and it would have counted.
>>
>>

There's no thing as good or bad penalties, you score or you don't that's all that matters.
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> There's no thing as good or bad penalties, you score or you don't that's all
>> that matters.

True of any goal I think.

What I meant was that it could have bobbled the other way. Comparison is with the wild shots that go over the top or half way to a corner flag.
 Football - sooty123
I don't want to flog a dead horse so I'll just say, I know what your trying to say but it doesn't matter. Miss by an inch or mile makes no difference on the day.

It's either a tick or cross that's all that matters.

I'll leave that point there, I think I've made mine.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Jul 21 at 20:48
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> It's either a tick or cross that's all that matters.
>>
>> I'll leave that point there, I think I've made mine.

I entirely get your point. I got it before Duncan made the same point.

My comment was about Rashford's skills.

Who was it who ballooned a penalty in either Italia 90 or Euro 96?
 Football - sooty123
Who was it who ballooned a penalty in either Italia 90 or Euro 96?
>>

Chris Waddle put one over the bar in 90, I don't remember anyone in 96 putting one over. Might have I just don't remember one.

Edit, Or were you thinking of G Batty in 98?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 12 Jul 21 at 18:16
 Football - Kevin
>.. but I really detest all the 'football talk'.

I must admit that I'm not a big fan of some of the presenters and 'expert' guests.

In fact I'm working on an App for android TVs that blanks the screen and mutes the sound when it detects them. I was thinking of calling it the "Continuous Removal of Annoying Pundits" App but need a catchier name for it really.
Last edited by: Kevin on Mon 12 Jul 21 at 08:05
 Football - No FM2R
If I'm honest I never care very much about the result or outcome of any sporting competition, I just enjoy the process.

I have enjoyed the Euros very much, I look forward to the next one.
 Football - Lygonos
Be nice if the thicker fans stopped booing national anthems.

As well as being retarded and disrespectful it probably just winds the opposition team up even more.
 Football - legacylad
A fantastic evening. The sun came out so my neighbour and I walked to my local beer garden. Of the 17 tables, only one was occupied by a solitary walker...normally it would be rammed with walkers and dogs.
Indoors was equally quiet, just the one small TV tucked into a corner with three couples watching. So I was told.
Great attentive service, excellent beer, good conversation. Stayed rather too long and one more for the ditch turned into several. Home in time for a pork pie and Branston.
A lot of disappointed supporters but worse things happen at sea.
 Football - Zero

>> As well as being retarded and disrespectful it probably just winds the opposition team up
>> even more.

Its a completely counter productive protest, specially as the Italian National anthem is so long and boring and would put any team to sleep.
 Football - zippy
>>booing.

We also found that distasteful.
 Football - Zero
Alan Shearer says about the comments

""On the negative side, what on earth do people think about when these guys have been brave enough to go and take a penalty?"

we dont want "brave" people taking penalties, we want cool headed confident penalty takers, old heads.

Every one of those missed Penalties was telegraphed in the faces of those taking them, It was obvious they would fail just looking at them prior to the kick.
 Football - Rudedog
Surprised no one's mentioned the number of yellow cards given to Italy.

As a non football person watching the match I don't understand how some of those fouls didn't get a red card. Maybe they know exactly how to play the system.
 Football - zippy
>yellow cards...

We were making up law changes as the game progressed and thought it would be a good idea to reduce the number of penalties your team could take by 1 for each yellow card and by 2 for each red card.
 Football - zippy
There have been lots of comments re racism on the news.

That's really not on. The colour of one's skin or country of birth should not come in to any sports or other activity.

I will be forever thankful to the doctor of north Asian heritage who got me well and the nurse of African heritage who cared for me with utmost kindness not to long ago.
 Football - Zero
>> Surprised no one's mentioned the number of yellow cards given to Italy.
>>
>> As a non football person watching the match I don't understand how some of those
>> fouls didn't get a red card. Maybe they know exactly how to play the system.

As a football person of many years watching , yellow cards and Italian football go hand in hand and always have and always will, a large part of the Italian game, both domestic and international is intimidation.

One of the fouls should have been hit with a red card.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 12 Jul 21 at 11:25
>>
>>
>> Every one of those missed Penalties was telegraphed in the faces of those taking them,
>> It was obvious they would fail just looking at them prior to the kick.
>>

^^This^^

I got every single one right, as I normally do. One look at the player walking from the centre circle will tell you whether they are up for it or crapping themselves.
 Football - Manatee
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800431

Unforgiveable, and unbelievable. Irrational I know, but it makes me feel ashamed to be English. What the hell is wrong with people?
 Football - Falkirk Bairn
If England had been half as good as the TV pundits/newspapers had lead us to believe they would have walked away with the trophy.

The truth - apart from 1 England game, the goal tally was modest - early stage 1 win and 2 draws - a Scotland draw and that is a team that had qualified for nothing in over 20 years.

Southgate & the penalties - 2 x very cold players brought on with almost zero ball contact & a 19 year old virgin penalty taker
 Football - Lemma
I have little knowledge or interest in football. I have only ever been to two matches, one of them on a wet mid week evening so at least I didn’t waste a nice afternoon.

Watching the match it was obvious even to me that the Italians were aggressive and unafraid to foul their opponent. I saw the foul when an Italian grabbed the neck of the shirt of a Brit and pulled him down. What do you have to do to get sent off? Not sure if they have a sin bin as with some other sports?

How about if instead of penalties the first decision point as to the winner in the event of a draw is the team with the least yellow cards? That way yellow cards have some meaning.
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> Watching the match it was obvious even to me that the Italians were aggressive and
>> unafraid to foul their opponent.

Several observers have noted that Italy were lucky to finish with 11 men.
>>
>>
>> How about if instead of penalties the first decision point as to the winner in
>> the event of a draw is the team with the least yellow cards? That way
>> yellow cards have some meaning.
>>

If diving to win free kicks is a problem now, bring that rule in and the average football match would put a Red Arrows display to shame.

The penalty for infringements is at the behest of the referee and they mostly get it right. The view on whether an offence is a red or a yellow card largely depends on whether it goes for your side or against it. Rather like the soft penalty England got in the semi final.
 Football - Bobby
Re driving. Over this season Harry Kane had developed a reputation for diving. Have heard pundits refer to it periodically.

Once you are aware of this and watch him, you do see why he has that reputation.

Sadly this is a scourge across football. In fact I read some reports leading up to the Final that England are now getting streetwise and “winning fouls” like opponents often do.

Until rules are changed, or referees stop treating diving as normal, then this is just going to get so much worse.
 Football - Zero
A good dive, in the heat and speed of the game, cant be distinguished from a real foul unless VAR from every angle is deployed. And that just slows the game down and takes the drive and immediacy out of it.
 Football - No FM2R
Winning is winning and it is only ever the losers who care about bad decisions. Or remember them. Be that Maradona and a handball or Sterling and a soft penalty.
 Football - sooty123
Few teams run away with the trophy and have faultless through modern tournaments, they all have off games.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Jul 21 at 20:49
 Football - Kevin
> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800431
>
>Unforgiveable, and unbelievable. Irrational I know, but it makes me feel ashamed to be English.
>What the hell is wrong with people?

"Former England defender Gary Neville criticised the stance of the prime minister.."

Did Bojo miss as well?
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> "Former England defender Gary Neville criticised the stance of the prime minister.."
>>
>> Did Bojo miss as well?

Not well edited but I suspect it refers to the refusal of the PM, in answer to a Yes/No question, to condemn those who booed 'taking the knee'.

Ms Patel was similarly, or possibly even more, reticent in doing so.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 12 Jul 21 at 15:08
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> Not well edited but I suspect it refers to the refusal of the PM, in
>> answer to a Yes/No question, to condemn those who booed 'taking the knee'.
>>
>> Ms Patel was similarly, or possibly even more, reticent in doing so.

Tyrone Mings lays into both Bojo and Patel.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/13/england-tyrone-mings-criticises-priti-patel-over-racism-remarks

In effect those MPs who refuse to condemn booing are dog whistling.

As for the muppets on the green benches who cannot separate a basic anti-racism campaign from the political movement that's sought to appropriate its name, they shouldn't be allowed out on their own.

Jonny Mercer MP (Con) agrees with him.
 Football - Duncan

>> In effect those MPs who refuse to condemn booing are dog whistling.
>>

What the hell is dog whistling?

Why am I the only sane one left?
 Football - No FM2R
From Google...

"In politics, a dog whistle is the use of coded or suggestive language in political messaging to garner support from a particular group without provoking opposition"
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> What the hell is dog whistling?

I'd swear we've explained the term before.
 Football - bathtub tom
>>As for the muppets on the green benches who cannot separate a basic anti-racism campaign from the political movement that's sought to appropriate its name, they shouldn't be allowed out on their own.

I guess that makes me one of your muppets.
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> I guess that makes me one of your muppets.

Not an MP are you?
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> I guess that makes me one of your muppets.

No intention to cause offence but seriously can you not tell the difference between:

(1) Black Lives Matter (as much as white lives); a simple issue over racism/black deaths in custody and;

(2) A political campaign of dubious parentage which is a parasite on cause (1)

???????????????????
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 13 Jul 21 at 22:40
 Football - No FM2R
Obviously philosophically they are quite different.

In reality actual activity in the street can be quite difficult to allocate to one or the other. Though there's surely no confusion over the kneeling?

I don't know why it bothers people so much. It's not offensive, surely. It could be regarded as pointless or ineffectual, but offensive?

Don't like it, don't do it. However I dislike the idea that everything must be approved by everybody.

Football - No FM2R
From the BBC....

"Rather than demonstrating opposition to racism and support for the Black Lives Matter movement, it has been argued that kneeling actually shows support for a campaigning organisation also called Black Lives Matter."

I might actually be more confused now.

Nonetheless, why is people kneeling so annoying?
 Football - bathtub tom
I've said before, but I'll iterate: I'll no more take the knee than put on a white hood and burn a cross.

This is because taking the knee and BLM are associated.

Two of the top aims of BLM are:
1. Closure of prisons
2. Abolition of the police force
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> I've said before, but I'll iterate: I'll no more take the knee than put on
>> a white hood and burn a cross.
>>
>> This is because taking the knee and BLM are associated.

I would compartmentalise the two. Taking the knee or supporting the concept the Black Lives Matter (as much as white lives) as a protest against racism is one thing. One can do so while making absolutely clear that whatever the political aims of the so called BLM organisation they are not endorsed.

Actually, knee taking now seems to be making less use of the phrase Black Lives Matter but rather as a generic protest against racism including that directed at Black and Minority Ethnic sports people.

>> Two of the top aims of BLM are:
>> 1. Closure of prisons
>> 2. Abolition of the police force

Not aware of those two in the UK (but not saying you're wrong). BLM is a fairly diffuse organisation and the media are keen to seize on the egregious words of one or two self proclaimed activists.

Defund the police, rather than is one objective I've heard. If that meant removing dealing with drugs from the police/prosons and moving the corresponding funding to Health I'd say that was a good thing. I've heard BLM spokespeople in the US articulate 'defund' along those lines.
 Football - Zero
>> I've said before, but I'll iterate: I'll no more take the knee than put on
>> a white hood and burn a cross.

i think the chances of you being involved in any venture where knee taking is considered, is pretty, nay completely, unlikely.

As an aside, I wouldnt take the knee. I believe that sport should be completely devoid of *any* political or protest movement, no matter what the cause. To do so enables the sport, sportsmen or cause to be misrepresented. As indeed it has been.

If you have a cause you raise it outside the sport.
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> As an aside, I wouldnt take the knee. I believe that sport should be completely
>> devoid of *any* political or protest movement, no matter what the cause. To do so
>> enables the sport, sportsmen or cause to be misrepresented. As indeed it has been.

Unsurprisingly I disagree. It seems to me that, aside from deaths involving arrest or custody, there is a legitimate interest in highlighting racism as it affects sportspeople. As we saw at the weekend it's endemic in football.

And I'll bet it's in other sports too; Lewis Hamilton has a few stories to tell.
 Football - No FM2R
Saying that sports should be free of politics is a dream, not a reality. Remember playing international sports in South Africa?

However, I think the knee before football bit has in some weird way helped the racists. It's kind of allowed a link between the s***ty racist and the normal non-racist who is merely irritated by politics. Almost making the racist s***bag feel like a normal person, or at least like he has common ground with a normal person - I realise I am not putting this well.

They've kind of painted themselves into a corner now though and it'll be difficult to get out of.

Football - Zero
>> Saying that sports should be free of politics is a dream, not a reality. Remember
>> playing international sports in South Africa?

Indeed a prime case where it hindered more than helped.
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> However, I think the knee before football bit has in some weird way helped the
>> racists. It's kind of allowed a link between the s***ty racist and the normal non-racist
>> who is merely irritated by politics. Almost making the racist s***bag feel like a normal
>> person, or at least like he has common ground with a normal person - I
>> realise I am not putting this well.

Bit like Brexit. Not all those irritated and booing are racists but you can be damn sure all the racists are irritated and booing.

>> They've kind of painted themselves into a corner now though and it'll be difficult to
>> get out of.

The motive is a wholly good one. It must not be given up just because you cannot, as ever, please all of the people all of the time.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 14 Jul 21 at 13:54
 Football - Runfer D'Hills
I think what saddens me the most, is having only come to realise quite late in life, and in relatively recent times, just how many people there are walking among us who are overtly racist, xenophobic, and frankly, ignorantly tribal.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't naive to the existence of such people, I just hadn't thought there were so many of them.

I had begun to believe, that in general, such views belonged to a time long gone.

Sadly, it would seem not.
>> Sadly, it would seem not.

It is worldwide, Runfer. We are by nature a tribal species, suspicious and distrustful of those we see as different. Nationality, skin colour, sexuality, what football team you support, whether you ride a motorbike or a scooter, all are or have been reasons for thinking yourself superior to others and deriding them, and in some cases killing or beating the crap out of them.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 14 Jul 21 at 20:14
 Football - Zero
Fundamentally the people of the UK are not racist, xenophobic maybe but not racist. If you are "on our side" it don't matter the colour of your skin to most people

If you don't believe me checkout the real tale of " The Battle of Bamber Bridge"
 Football - Kevin
>Fundamentally the people of the UK are not racist,..

Two quotes from an article on Guido Fawkes this morning:

"Sanjay Bhandari, chairman of Kick It Out, revealed that roughly 70% of all abuse over the past two seasons came from foreign accounts, adding:

“These are not football fans…They are people who have never been inside an English football ground.”

The Centre for Countering Digital Hate, meanwhile, found 105 Instagram accounts had directed abuse towards England players after the final. BBC Newsnight’s investigation revealed the locations of 64 of those accounts, of which only 5 came from the UK.
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> Fundamentally the people of the UK are not racist, xenophobic maybe but not racist. If
>> you are "on our side" it don't matter the colour of your skin to most
>> people

Come off it. There have, at least in football, always been people who absolutely regard black people as 'not full people'. That goes back to opposition to early black players from Walter Tull via Albert Johanssen onwards via monkey chants, bananas and even 'he's got a pineapple on his head'.

Very clearly extant today with the abuse thrown at Rashford (who is as British as you or me) and others this week.

My son, a braver chap then I am, called somebody in the Liverpool pub he was watching in on Sunday for a remark about 'get up you black bar steward'.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 14 Jul 21 at 20:39
 Football - Zero

>> Come off it. There have, at least in football,

you know nothing of football, or the fans.

Marcus Rashford will get a hell of a lot of abuse in grounds round this season and next probably. Beause of the High Profile penalty miss. If I were still going to the grounds, I would be there in the crowd doing same.

Because he showboated, tried to be flash, and cocked it up. With consequences.

He'd get the same if he was as white as a freshly laundered sheep.

I'll not take lessons on Racism from a middle class civil servant champagne socialist.
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> Marcus Rashford will get a hell of a lot of abuse in grounds round this
>> season and next probably. Beause of the High Profile penalty miss. If I were still
>> going to the grounds, I would be there in the crowd doing same.
>>
>> Because he showboated, tried to be flash, and cocked it up. With consequences.
>>
>> He'd get the same if he was as white as a freshly laundered sheep.

I've no doubt others guilty of egregious penalty taking get stick as well. But if you don't believe black players face a whole further dimension both on social media and at grounds you're displaying a Nelsonian field of vision.

I'll not take lessons on racism from a retired football hooligan :-)
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 08:53
 Football - Zero

>> I've no doubt others guilty of egregious penalty taking get stick as well. But if
>> you don't believe black players face a whole further dimension both on social media and
>> at grounds you're displaying a Nelsonian field of vision.

Again you show no experience of a football ground, you have absolutely no idea of the potential verbal cruelty in a large football crowd. The abuse from rival fans will be so bad, there wont be space for a racial element. His life away from home turf will be hell.

The next 24 months will determine if he has the metal toughness or not. I suspect he will go off the boil big time, confidence shot.

None of this has anything to do with race, but political meddling for his own public image is no help
 Football - Bromptonaut
>> Again you show no experience of a football ground, you have absolutely no idea of
>> the potential verbal cruelty in a large football crowd. The abuse from rival fans will
>> be so bad, there wont be space for a racial element. His life away from
>> home turf will be hell.

One doesn't need to have spent hours getting you nadgers frozen off at Upton Park to understand the dynamics of a football crowd. We've all heard it on the telly and read about it in the press. Whole crowd singing along to a ditty rhyming Poll with hole and aimed at the ref is at the more gentle end. I've the odd experience at Anfield and youthful proximity to Elland Rd when LUFC were in their pomp to draw on too.

The idea that there's no space for a racial element from those parts of the crowd thus inclined is to put it mildly implausible.

One of the above deals with SM.

>>
>> The next 24 months will determine if he has the metal toughness or not. I
>> suspect he will go off the boil big time, confidence shot.

No view. You may be right. I'll watch what the pundits say when the season gets underway again.

>> None of this has anything to do with race, but political meddling for his own
>> public image is no help
>>

The guy has a social conscience and has not forgotten his own upbringing. The idea that his work on Free School Meals etc is either political meddling or for his own aggrandisement id nonsense on stilts.

To be honest though you're just being provocative. You're as capable of grasping the issue as I am.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 11:49
 Football - Zero

>> One doesn't need to have spent hours getting you nadgers frozen off at Upton Park
>> to understand the dynamics of a football crowd.

Of course not
 Football - No FM2R
I understand what Zero means.

The football crowd is not racist, it is abusive. Of course there will be racists in there, but the crowd motivation is to be abusive. They will say anything to be abusive. They will criticise sexual preference, appearance, race, religion, partners, in fact anything.

By far the majority are not racist and to try to deal with them as such misses the point. As soon as a, say, black player states that he has been affected by racism, the abusive crowd sees that as a win.

Yet if one accused the culprit of racism he would loudly, and probably truthfully, deny it.

Saying racist abuse is wrong is akin to saying that black lives matter. Both are true, both are incomplete. All lives matter, all abuse is wrong.

Someone spouting racist abuse can, perhaps rightfully, deny being a racist. He cannot deny being abusive. We should pursue him for being offensive.

By and large football crowds are obnoxious. Whether that is because they are football supporters or just because they are large crowd, is difficult to know.

Football - Manatee
"black lives matter" is just a shorthand inversion-the obvious meaning is "There is a problem which is that black people are treated by authorities as if their lives don't matter [because they are black]"

To condemn this statement because all lives matter, white lives matter or whatever is just racist.

If somebody says there is a speeding problem that needs to be cracked down on we don't complain that all crimes matter.

Sometimes focus is needed to make things better.

I am just appalled that Johnson et al refused to take a position on the booing of the kneelers. Whether you agree with the kneeling or not, should they be abused for there views? I can see no justification fora neutral stance on that at all. I suspect Johnson is thinking there is mileage in being "anti-snowflake", pandering to his constituency of thick bigots. Patel, I can't weigh up at all. She seems to have a nasty streak - I can't forget her tussle on QT with Hislop when she was promoting death penalties as a "deterrent". Painful viewing-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrsVhzbLzU
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 18:57
 Football - bathtub tom
>>I am just appalled that Johnson et al refused to take a position on the booing of the kneelers.

Kneeling is a political statement. To boo or jeer is an accepted method of disagreeing. Listen to the house of commons.
 Football - Manatee
>>Kneeling is a political statement.

I thought it was about human rights. I suppose BLM is a nexus for all manner of stirring, but I'm pretty sure the kneeling thing is about racism.

>>To boo or jeer is an accepted method of disagreeing. Listen to the house of commons.

I wouldn't take lessons in manners from there.

I may be looking down the wrong end of the telescope, I do sometimes.

Football - No FM2R
>>I am just appalled that Johnson et al refused to take a position on the booing of the kneelers.

I don't entirely agree with that. The majority of the public is pretty thick and incapable of dealing with anything other than saying it is good or bad.

Trying to say something like "I personally wouldn't take the knee though I am anti racist and support their freedom to do so" would just get torn apart by everybody.

I have little faith in Johnson's character but I'm not sure he had much choice or space on this one.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 19:52
 Football - Kevin
Actually, on 11th June in an interview with the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg about the boo'ing, when Kuenssberg asked him "Why won't you condemn them?"

Bojo said “I think it’s totally wrong to boo the English team”.
Last edited by: Kevin on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 20:21
 Football - No FM2R
Since bathtub tom made me realised I was confused, I have been trying to become unconfused.

BT said....

>> Two of the top aims of BLM are:
>> 1. Closure of prisons
>> 2. Abolition of the police force
>>

The clearest agreed upon summary I found..

Black Lives Matter UK calls for among other things, an end to the sale and manufacture of arms in Britain; an end to police surveillance and armed police; an end to immigration enforcement in Britain; the abolition of tuition fees; and an immediate reversal of all cuts made during austerity”. The platform carries the prominent American slogan “defund the police”

Depending on where you look it is anywhere between "abolish police/prisons" to "reform police/prisons" even including such enlightening statements as "without the police people's mental health would be better so there'd be less crime".

So I am now right there with BT. Despite being vehemently against racism, I will never take the knee in any context that could conceivably be associated with BLM, which pretty much means I'd never do it.
 Football - bathtub tom
>>So I am now right there with BT. Despite being vehemently against racism, I will never take the knee in any context that could conceivably be associated with BLM, which pretty much means I'd never do it.

I also said, I'd never put on a white hood and burn a cross.
 Football - No FM2R
I was pretty sure that went without saying, but of course I realise you said that.
 Football - smokie
My (first hand) experience of BLM is that they are disruptors, much like Extinction Rebellion, with an ostensibly Good Cause which has become somewhat subverted.

My experience is solely in in a private Facebook group where supporters came along, initially with good relevant arguments and a fresh view, but in the end it turned into a melee of unprompted and unnecessarily offensive insults and attacks on people who hadn't even expressed an opinion.

So maybe that is not a very representative experience but it's the only one I have, first hand.

Putting aside any political agenda which the BLM organisation may have, there is certainly a point to be made but I do think the world is not unaware of that and sometimes the methods used to reinforce an organisations message does, in the end, do it no favours.
 Football - zippy
Our HR director sent an email out this afternoon warning about posting to social media that links to who you work for, even if it's on personal accounts / personal pc's if you can be linked to the employer.

Some idiots have been suspended for posting racist comments from work's pcs.

I have a feeling they will end up being sacked for something like gross misconduct for bringing the organisation in to disrepute.

If true, then goodbye to bad rubbish.
 Uefa opens investigation into events at Wembley - No FM2R
The chances of the knuckle draggers giving a damn is small, even the few that can read.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/57823364
 Uefa opens investigation into events at Wembley - smokie
I've been away for a few days and missed most of the match (and all of the chat), but can someone tell me why the England players took off their medals as soon as they'd been presented? I'm sure it wasn't meant to be the unsporting gesture it appeared to be to me.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 17:45
 Uefa opens investigation into events at Wembley - Robin O'Reliant
They are professional sportsmen and a losers medal is just that.

Who wants a reminder that they weren't good enough?
 Uefa opens investigation into events at Wembley - Zero
There is one winner, and there is the rest - losers.

(unless you are jockish of course, when it comes to football there is the deluded)
>> They are professional sportsmen and a losers medal is just that.

Presumably then though we would have admired them if they won, we should completely forget them and dismiss them as failures?

What a bunch of spoiled princesses.

Southgate continued to wear his. So there was one man amongst them.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 20:29
Oh, I'd assumed there was a sensible reason for it.

I can't think of any other sporting event where I've seen the runners up do similar. Most are proud to have achieved whatever they did.

Poor sportsmen if you ask me.
>>
>>
>> I can't think of any other sporting event where I've seen the runners up do
>> similar. Most are proud to have achieved whatever they did.
>>
>> Poor sportsmen if you ask me.
>>

If you come second in a bike race with 200 riders you can feel proud standing on the podium, you've finished ahead of 198 other guys. But in a football match there are only two contestants on the pitch so the loser has come last.

Nothing to celebrate there but despair and heartache.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 22:15
>> Nothing to celebrate there but despair and heartache.

^^^^^^^

He knows what he is talking about, A hammers fan, dreams fading and dying......
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 22:20
>>Nothing to celebrate there but despair and heartache.

So respect is only something football players demand, not something they offer? Kind of helps understand the behaviour of their supporters.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 15 Jul 21 at 22:20
>> >>Nothing to celebrate there but despair and heartache.
>>
>> So respect is only something football players demand, not something they offer?

Yeah thats about right - that died in the 60s
>>
>>
>> So respect is only something football players demand, not something they offer? Kind of helps
>> understand the behaviour of their supporters.
>>

Unless you are or have been a true supporter, attending matches and supporting your club through hell and high water you can never understand. Football is a game of tribal loyalty, there is as much pleasure in your rivals failures as there is in your own success. There is hardly a card carrying fan of the other 92 clubs in the league who won't be willing Manchester United or Chelsea to lose when they play opposition from abroad in a European final. West Ham have never won the league but one of my best football moments was when Tottenham got relegated in the early seventies. And it is exactly the same for every fan in in every other country.

That's what makes the game the most popular in the world, you can identify with your home team with total passion and hatred for everyone else. Were it not like that it would be like most other sports, popular during Wimbledon or The Open or whatever, largely ignored the rest of the year.

And long may it continue like that.
 Uefa opens investigation into events at Wembley - James Loveless
"you can identify with your home team with total passion and hatred for everyone else."

This is exactly what disgusts me about soccer - or rather its "supporters" (if the two can ever be separated). Crude, uncontrolled, feral.
 Uefa opens investigation into events at Wembley - Lygonos

Just a very gimpy version of the Romans going to the Colosseum.

>> Unless you are or have been a true supporter, attending matches and supporting your club
>> through hell and high water you can never understand. Football is a game of tribal
>> loyalty, there is as much pleasure in your rivals failures as there is in your
>> own success..............

Fascinating, thank you, though I cannot imagine feeling that way about anything.

I can see how the supporters become obsessed and dedicated.

However, something that causes them to wreck the property and physically attack others cannot be a good thing.

Clearly it would be better for most if the Premier League, and all other major soccer leagues, were to fade and die and football to become like other sports.

>> Fascinating, thank you, though I cannot imagine feeling that way about anything.
>>
>> I can see how the supporters become obsessed and dedicated.
>>
>> However, something that causes them to wreck the property and physically attack others cannot be
>> a good thing.

Err no, that's not the case. when you run with one of the firms or crews, the game, the club and even the result mean not much. There is no dedication or obsession to or with the club, merely the name and the facilities and environment provides the backdrop for gang tribal warfare. All about territory and face. Yup gladiatorial it is (or was)

On the other hand if you are a fan at a big club on match day there is no atmosphere like it, and the humour can be delightfully spontaneous and sometimes hysterically funny.

I'll try and tell a tale to explain

Back int he 70's I was in the big West Stand at Upton Park for the Hammers against Man City (when they were carp and poor) City had a traveling female fan who carried a school playground hand bell, and she was a few rows from me.

City were losing, and the bell was doing overtime, DING DING. DING DING and it was really getting on everyone tits.

Finally the Hammers fan in the seat behind her tires of this row, and snatches the bell from her hand and hurls it towards the pitch, describing a long slow arc, with a pathetic weak tinkling noise, whereby it hits the pitch 7 yards in, nearly hitting a city player (sumerbee I think) and the handle falls off and the bell is in pieces

Everyone in the West Stand applauds this magnificent throw, whereby the Northbank (all 9 thousand of them) erupts into the famous church bell peal "DING DONG DING DONG - DING DONG DING DONG. whereby the whole ground erupts with laughter.
There are plenty of other events where that's true aren't there? Never seen boxers or rugby players be so petulant.

I suppose it's partly based on the unrealistic expectation of the fans that the team are always good enough to beat all the others.

Whatever, that's yet another football "feature" which doesn't endear me to the game, along with dives, feigned injuries, gobbing on the pitch, arguing with the ref, booing the opposition's anthem etc etc etc.

>> Whatever, that's yet another football "feature" which doesn't endear me to the game, along with
>> dives, feigned injuries, gobbing on the pitch, arguing with the ref, booing the opposition's anthem
>> etc etc etc.
>

Right there with you.
This is behind their paywall, which is a shame. If you can read it or find it somewhere it gives a pretty detailed and most certainly shocking story of the night with pictures and video.

And as someone who is quoted in the article said, "Thank God we lost, can you imagine the carnage if we had won?"

I hope we never see a major soccer competition in the UK. I cannot imagine the shame and embarrassment which would result.

We should have denied the entry of the UEFA VIPS and simply smiled knowingly as the final was moved to Hungary, smug in the knowledge that we dodged a bullet. Instead we allowed exceptions for the VIPs and were forced to deal with the animals ourselves.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wembley-under-siege-how-england-fans-stormed-the-euro-2020-final-wl6gv9rd5

And I'm tired of hearing "but they're not the real fans". Who cares? Stop the big games happening in the UK at all and we won't have to deal with them, whoever or whatever they are.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 16 Jul 21 at 19:14
archive.fo/4JCfM
Excellent. Does that work consistently?
No, not always but it's pretty good. If you go into the page clean you can sometimes archive the page yourself, but it didn't work properly for me recently with one paywalled page, but I think it did with another. There is another tool called the waybackmachine.com which does something similar.

I only found out about them recently but I gather you can often find earlier published versions of web pages too - it was tools like this that enabled someone to spot that Dominic Cummings changed something on his blog to try to prove he had predicted coronavirus in 2019.

fullfact.org/health/cummings-blog-coronavirus/
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 17 Jul 21 at 00:33
Latest Forum Posts