Motoring Discussion > Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 13

Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump - Bromptonaut
Does anyone else here have problems using Morrisons Pay at Pump facility ?

I've had an issue over an extended period of time where my Santander Select Visa Debit Card the identifying numbers, apparently called a BIN number, for which are 4757 31 being refused with the message Kiosk Only. This happens at multiple stores at home, in Liverpool and last week in Fort William. After some customer service ping pong between Morrisons and Santander I've finally got Morrisons to look into it.

My suspicion is that it's being treated as though it were a Basic account card with no overdraft etc facility. These require a more extensive check for funds etc which may not be possible at an pump terminal - hence 'kiosk only'.

It works fine at all the other supermarkets including Tesco, Sainsbury and Asda.

Morrisons initial line, as well as telling me I'd need a new card, was that it was a one off and nobody else had mentioned it. I know that's not true I reported it to them by phone last year and have mentioned it to counter staff. Today they've told me it's because my card is issued in Ecuador - I think some digits got switched.

Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump - zippy
From work's system - I don't know anything more about BIN numbers.

BIN/IIN number 454731
Brand Visa
Is Prepaid No
Card Type Credit
Issuing Bank Banco De Credito E Hipotecario, S.a.
Issuing Country Ecuador

BTW we have a notice that Santander are switching from Visa to Mastercard which could be part of the problem?

Perhaps it has been mis-coded by Santander's subcontractor or our database is wrong?
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 8 Jun 21 at 17:54
 Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump - smokie
I'm sure I'm stating the obvious but the BIN you have used Zippy is different from Bromp's. I guess you are pointing out a similarity.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 8 Jun 21 at 19:21
 Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump - No FM2R
>>475731

...is a Yorkshire Bank Visa debit card.

475714 is a Santander Visa.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 8 Jun 21 at 20:12
Doh! Sorry Fat Fingers - good thing I don't enter any figures for a living!!!
>> From work's system - I don't know anything more about BIN numbers.
>>
>> BIN/IIN number 454731
>> Brand Visa
>> Is Prepaid No
>> Card Type Credit
>> Issuing Bank Banco De Credito E Hipotecario, S.a.
>> Issuing Country Ecuador

Are you sure it's a fingers issue Zippy?

The 4547 thing is exactly what Morrisons quoted to me when stating the issue was my 'Ecuadorean' card. I've had cards with a 4547 prefix previously but was changed to 4757 when I invested enough to be a Santander Select customer.
 Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump - PeterS
Whether relevant or not I don’t know, but my Santander Visa debit cards were replaced with MasterCard debit cards either earlier this year or at the end of last. I don’t use either at pay at pump though.
The bin / iin for Santander should be 4547 42 for Visa.

These should be the first 6 digits of your card's long number. Please note that I have no experience of how the card system works.

I have checked on the history reports and 4757 13 also appears on the list as a CLASSIC debit card for Santander so I guess that there isn't an overdraft link or someone's SOAP service's database has got corrupted data and is saying that the card is Ecuadorian and therefore we can't give credit.

Perhaps they mistyped the 31. Cross check it with your card, does it say 4757 13xx or 4757 31xx?

Last edited by: zippy on Tue 8 Jun 21 at 22:44
>> Perhaps they mistyped the 31. Cross check it with your card, does it say 4757
>> 13xx or 4757 31xx?

The raised numbers on the card are 4757 3100.

I've had cards with other numbers including the 4547 series previously - we've been with Santander since it was the Abbey National. 4757 31 came up when the card first expired afer I became a Select customer. The card is branded as 'Select'.

My own research had identified the Yorkshire Bank issue, but that would still be a valid debit card. The caed works fine everywhere except in Morrisons forecourts.

Santander are changing their default supplier from Visa to Mastercard. Mrs B's card expired recently and was replaced by a Mastercard. Mine, replaced last October after I mislaid its predecessor has a short expiry in 2022 for the same reason.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 9 Jun 21 at 07:42
 Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump - Bill Payer
>> My suspicion is that it's being treated as though it were a Basic account card
>> with no overdraft etc facility. These require a more extensive check for funds etc which
>> may not be possible at an pump terminal - hence 'kiosk only'.

The 7th digit for those cards is a 5.
 Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump - legacylad
I’m obviously in the minority but this morning I paid cash for my train ticket to Ribblehead. Paid cash for my pot of tea mid afternoon. Cash for beer & nuts in two pubs after finishing a long walk. Cash again for chips n gravy on the way home.
To be fair on Sunday a friend used his ‘Round’ app to both order and pay for beers, nuts & crisps in a local country pub. I gave him a tenner.
 Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump - Bobby
How was the trip over to the Isles?
It's been excellent. Last day today, crossing back to Uig (Skye) tomorrow after a fortnight near Tarbert. Weather has been mostly good except for part of this week where we got the full wind/rain/low visibility treatment.

Now off for a drive down the West Side to make the most of sun and walks on the Machair.
 Problems at Morrisons Pay at Pump - Solved - Bromptonaut
After a bit more to and fro they've now conceded that the range of numbers on these Select Accounts was not added to the list of cards permitted for Pay at Pump.

They're going to update it but as these are done on a quarterly basis it may not happen immediately.
Latest Forum Posts