Non-motoring > Repairing a tap... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

Repairing a tap... - smokie
I think it's called a monobloc style. MFI type kitchen approx 8 years old in a nice but now unobtainable dark green. Mixer tap is two halves of moulded plastic which are coming apart a bit at the seam of the spout. so it now sprays as well.

I can't find a suitable spare, what's the best way to try to fix it?
Hmmm...browsing screwfix, is pipe weld suitable?
 Repairing a tap... - Robin O'Reliant
Replace it with a chrome tap. That goes with anything.

I had the same problem when our monobloc went whatsits up a few years ago, most of them seem to be cheap rubbish from the far east and you can never find a colour match or even get a replacement for the non-standard washer.

I actually have a replacement for the original replacement (which is leaking where it swivels)waiting to be fitted when I can no longer stand Mrs RR's nagging. It's been sitting in the garage for eighteen months and I went as far as buying the tails last week.
 Repairing a tap... - teabelly
www.bes.co.uk/products/094.asp

The right kind of washer might be in that lot above.
 Repairing a tap... - FotheringtonTomas
*Plastic*? I can't believe it! Do you mean the whole spout (curvy bit that you can swing about) is plastic, or just the plastic flow straightener shoved up the nozzle?
 Repairing a tap... - teabelly
Wonder what would happen if you used a soldering iron to munge the two bits back together a bit more?!

Silicon sealant might be the easiest. Just smear it on.

Also use some vinegar to soak off any limescale as you can find the spray pattern goes all over the place if the end is gummed up.

The whole arm is plastic. Hadn't thought of silicon sealant, you mean bath sealant type stuff? Interesting idea with the soldering iron, that;s probably the last resort though. I recall that I may have a "spare" arm in brown in the garage, so a job for the weekend is to get the old one off, remove limescale as above and tinker...
 Repairing a tap... - rtj70
IKEA do reasonably priced kitchens. You want a new kitchen really don't you ;-) No point in messing with the tap alone. I'll get my coat.

Seriously, if you can get the tap off to look it, maybe something harder than silicone sealer could work better. I was thinking along the lines of Araldite but that's not white. I know there are different variants of Araldite and similar products for different jobs (plastic, wood, metal etc.)
 Repairing a tap... - Ted

We have a poncey black tap in the kitchen. Square in section with a flat rectangular spout and a flat handle. Looks really good on the black sink but........the whole tap swivels in a bearing. It's fitted with flexible tails and that means it's got a memory.
Try to leave water running into the small bowl and the tap returns to it's natural place, splashing all over the place as it passes over the divide between the sinks. Mad design and £250 as well. Still, Mrs Ted likes it's looks...what do I matter ?
Fit a chrome tap, with a swivelling spout......job done and Brownie points earned !

Ted
 Repairing a tap... - bathtub tom
We live in a hard water area and I refuse to have any sort of swivelling device as a result.

We've two taps on the kitchen sink, stylishly retro was the kitchen fitter's comment. The stuff mixes well enough when the hot hits the cold.
 Repairing a tap... - Iffy
...We live in a hard water area...

Softish water at Iffy Towers.

I'm sure that's why appliances last a long time and one of the reasons why I get good results from a cheapo washing machine.

The water doesn't fur up the old boiler, either.

Repairing a tap... - Old Navy
>> Softish water at Iffy Towers.
>>

Good stuff, my Sis in law while visiting used a London sized dollop of shampoo in the shower, she described it as a lather explosion. Took her ages to rinse it off. :)
 Repairing a tap... - bathtub tom
>>>> Softish water at Iffy Towers.

Dissolving all that lead in the pipes. Could explain a lot. ;>)
Latest Forum Posts