Computer Related > Java (TM) Quick Starter binary is trying to ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 6

Java (TM) Quick Starter binary is trying to ... - tyro
I keep getting these security alerts from ZoneAlarm.

I'm still not sure whether I should permanently allow Java (TM) Quick Starter binary to access this, that, and the other, or not.

What should I do?

And, as a supplementary, is it time that I dropped ZoneAlarm in favour of another firewall? (I have this feeling that I might be a few years behind the times.)
 Java (TM) Quick Starter binary is trying to ... - Zero
If its getting your wick, then yes allow it. Its a fairly safe process that is asking for permision.

I dropped Zone alarm completely two years back.

I use Vista and win 7, both are using microsoft security esentials, both utilise the built in windows firewall, and both run through the netgear router firewall.

My systems are safe, not been infected for years, very unobtrusive and does not suffer performance degradation
Thanks, RF.

I use XP. Would the built in firewall be better than ZA?
 Java (TM) Quick Starter binary is trying to ... - Zero
No its not "better" per say, its not as feature and function rich as ZA, but the point is the built in firewall is sufficient, when coupled with MS security esentials. It certainly takes up less memory, cpu and disk space.
Thanks. That's helpful to know.
 Java (TM) Quick Starter binary is trying to ... - rtj70
If you use a broadband router which most of us will then the MS firewall is probably fine. All routers will offer some basic protection simply from offering Network Address Translation - yes you can punch holes through this by forwarding particular ports.

But with my work laptop, I use it in hotels and sometimes with a USB dongle for Internet. I therefore prefer the fact I have a full copy of a paid for security product. It's also encrypted in case lost or stolen.
 Java (TM) Quick Starter binary is trying to ... - ....
>> If you use a broadband router which most of us will then the MS firewall
>> is probably fine. All routers will offer some basic protection simply from offering Network Address
>> Translation - yes you can punch holes through this by forwarding particular ports.
>>
Microsoft themselves trample straight through their own firewall so I do not trust it to block anyone else.
I found this out when I was rebuilding my machine. I set the Vista firewall to block all traffic, the updates still came thick and fast. I had to unplug the Ethernet cable until I'd done all the admin stuff including setting update to alert only.
Latest Forum Posts