Motoring Discussion > Learner drivers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

Learner drivers - bathtub tom
Has anyone noticed they seem to be proliferating? I suppose we didn't miss them when driving schools weren't about during lockdown, but they appear to have returned in large numbers.
I had to go out the other day and kept joining slow moving queues of traffic with one at the front. Are there more now than ever used to be?
 Learner drivers - Bobby
In short yes.
No one has been able to pass a test so by inference, that means more learners.
 Learner drivers - No FM2R
Traffic is also dead slow because of the number of [older?] people who simply haven't driven in a year and are taking a bit to get back into it.
 Learner drivers - Clk Sec
>> How very dare you...
 Learner drivers - Bromptonaut
Several lads/lasses locally who have hit 17 during the pandemic and have now had first lessons.

We were all learners once; live with it.
 Learner drivers - Robin O'Reliant
I think we've had about nine months out of the past twelve with no tests or lessons, so there is bound to be a big rush now they are back on again.

If this situation had arisen Twenty years ago when both Mrs O'Reliant and I were ADIs we'd have been Donald Ducked. Many instructors, particularly the younger ones with families and mortgages plus cars on finance will have had to pack up by now. Tax bills from 19/20 that were due to settle in January will have caused a few tears as well.
 Learner drivers - No FM2R
One of my cousins is a full-time learner instructor. I just asked and apparently he has now got an overload of bookings. Which is just as well, it's not been a good year - young-ish man, young children, mortgage..
 Learner drivers - Terry
Not only are 2 years worth of learners all trying to learn in one year, I suspect that those who have delayed tests booked are keen not to fail as:

- the waiting list for a re-test is now over 4 months.

- limits on the validity of the theory tests - after which they may need to re-sit
 Learner drivers - bathtub tom
>> One of my cousins is a full-time learner instructor. I just asked and apparently he
>> has now got an overload of bookings. Which is just as well, it's not been
>> a good year - young-ish man, young children, mortgage..

Talking to a property surveyor who said he's never been so busy. He tried to retire a while ago!
Latest Forum Posts