Motoring Discussion > Driving Licence Renewal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 83

Driving Licence Renewal - Fullchat
My Driving Licence photograph and HGV entitlement are due for renewal on the 29th.

I'm letting the HGV bit go as I cant remember the last time i drove anything bigger than a fully loaded riot van and at 65 I'm not going to pursue a career as a Yorkie munching trucker + it would now be an annual medical.

So I sent off 3 weeks ago all the paperwork to ditch the HGV entitlement and renew the photograph.

It asked the question had I had any form of procedure on either eye? I stated 'yes' as a couple of years ago I had a single cataract operation. So my eyesight is probably better than when I last renewed.

Nothing has been returned and there are 2 days to go. I have tried every avenue to contact DVLA to no avail and just get binned off to try again. I would just like to know that they have actually received my renewal application and it is being processed. If it hasn't then theoretically, according to them, I could be driving without a licence after the 29th. As I understand it if they are processing then I can continue to drive.

Had this happened up to the 31st December 20 I would automatically have received a 12 month extension. We have of course been in in another lockdown but no further extensions given.

Anyone any similar experiences?
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 27 Apr 21 at 14:44
 Driving Licence Renewal - Runfer D'Hills
Renewed mine last month. Took about 2.5 weeks to arrive. Yours might turn up yet.
 Driving Licence Renewal - maltrap
My wife received a reminder to renew her 70+ license in January. She applied online, her 73rd birthday was on the 11th April. To date she has had no response whatsoever. She re-applied online and filled in the reminder form with a covering letter and sent it 2 weeks ago. HJ mentions problems at DVLA on his website.
 Driving Licence Renewal - sooty123
Aren't the dvla going on strike due to issues with covid working practices?
 Driving Licence Renewal - Bromptonaut
>> Aren't the dvla going on strike due to issues with covid working practices?

Yes there was strike action:

www.pcs.org.uk/news/over-1400-walk-out-on-first-day-of-strike-over-covid-safety-at-dvla

Further walkouts threatened for May.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Terry
My limited experience of DVLA following medical advice not to drive for a period is that they are a bunch of total incompetents.

They clearly fail to understand reliance on on car transport - work, leisure, emotional etc. Whilst I wholly accept that if rendered medically unfit to drive for a period there may be a very good reason, there is no excuse for so woeful a level of "customer" service.
 Driving Licence Renewal - No FM2R
My experience of them over the last few years is that if you can work within their online systems then they are very good indeed.

It does rather tend to fall apart when you need human intervention though.
 Driving Licence Renewal - PeterS
Did a change of address online, and opted to renew at the same time as I’d only got a year left on the o,d one, and the replacement came in 2 working days!
 Driving Licence Renewal - Dave_
I’m on a few motor trade FB groups; the DVLA are dealing with the 95% run-of-the-mill work in a day or two, but the 5% that requires a proper look is taking weeks and weeks to process. Not that that’s much help to you, I know.
 Driving Licence Renewal - bathtub tom
Whatever you do, check the entitlement on the new licence (you'll probably need a magnifying glass, I did). I've heard of several motorcyclists who didn't have the relevant category on their new licence and it wasn't spotted until they got pulled by thr BIBs. They had to re-take their test!

SWMBO got the motorcycle group on her renewal, she's never ridden one, but according to her new licence she passed her motorcycle test sometime in her sixties.
I've heard that story several times BT. Both sides photographed :)
Little update. No licence but Ive managed a webchat where the DVLA operative said thet I dont need to carry a licence and I'm OK to drive as the licence is still valid.

I'd argue that technically you do have to produce a licence if required etc etc but in any event I've got a copy of the webchat saved. You just never know.
Can you let me know how you managed to do a webchat.

Many Thanks
This is where I started:

contact.dvla.gov.uk/driving-licence

Then answered a series of questions the answers of which leaned towards actually having to speak to someone. Once accepted waited about 7 min to start the conversation.

I tried yesterday and got binned off as they were busy.

Driving Licence Renewal - R.P.
FC - go to the DVLA website,
www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Check your details and print them off, to ensure you don't lose entitlements.

Police rarely ask for DLs these days as they're all on PNC
Thanks both.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Robin O'Reliant
>> Check your details and print them off, to ensure you don't lose entitlements.

I've just tried that, but my personal details and list of entitlements are on separate pages with nothing to link the two.

Am I missing something?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 29 Apr 21 at 13:47
 Driving Licence Renewal - R.P.
I see what you mean, the format appears to have changed.
Just doing a nozzel clean on my printer.

Page 4 'Get your check code' . Theres a Print option there. Gave me all my catagories and start/expiry dates. Full and Provisional entitlements.

All mine printed off yesterday.
Open with Adobe and then print Adobe PDF file on 2 pages.

Can also save electronically.
I gave up on Webchat after 20 minutes. Then made a 4th application (3 online+ 1 postal)
This time i actually received an acknowledgement with a reference number, fingers crossed, this one works.
Mine comes up for it's ten year renewal in August. I've not only photographed it but taken a video as well, panning the camera and zooming in and out in case they accuse me of photoshopping it to add the bike entitlement.

Maybe overkill, but one can't be too careful. When we moved here in 2001 I had the solicitor make a signed copy of it as it was about the time tales of missing catagories were surfacing during the transfer to computerised records.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Update - Fullchat
Well the news is that there is no update.

Over 2 months in now. Nothing received.

Thought I'd make an effort today and wish I hadn't bothered.

Telephone - Operators extremely busy, binned.

Webchat - Some sort of automatic bot. After having to re type the same personal information as it progressed eventually binned as no one to take over the chat.

Have they got my licence and form?? Is it sat in a mail room somewhere whilst they deal with Covid or go on strike? Did it get there? Who knows?

If it takes much longer I'll have to have my photo re done :S

What a mess!! The good news is that my VEL reminder for the motorbike arrived on time with an increased rate.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Further Update - Fullchat
Further update and some success.

Following day actually got myself in a queue to talk to a human. Who put me in another queue to talk to another human.

After 45 minutes informed that they had received my documentation. it was being processed and the Medical Unit had sent out a Medical Declaration Form.

So it appears that because I had ticked the 'Have you had an eye operation Yes/No' and I responded Yes they had passed to Medical Unit which I understand.

Couple of days later said form V1 arrives which doesn't really cater for a historical cataract procedure but does for a whole host of other eye conditions. Inquires who my GP is, despite being referred by Opticians with no GP intervention, and whole host of other questions - dates, Consultant's details etc which I cant recall. However a quick call to our local eye hospital and all queries answered. I was fully expecting the 'Data Protection' routine and can you write in but it was not an issue.

Final question can you read a number plate from 20M uncorrected/corrected etc.

Form completed with a covering letter to cover up any potential ambiguities.

I'm thinking that the only relevant part for my circumstances is the the final question which is all you are asked to declare in any event with a standard licence.

Can't beat a bit of bureaucracy. They claim that it could be another 6 weeks. So that's around 4 months in total if there are no other hiccups.

They do appear to be having staffing issues for one reason or another.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 21 Jun 21 at 14:29
 Driving Licence Renewal - Further Update - bathtub tom
>>After 45 minutes informed that they had received my documentation. it was being processed and the Medical Unit had sent out a Medical Declaration Form.

>>Couple of days later said form V1 arrives

What a coincidence!
Indeed.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Further Update - Bromptonaut
Once you've spent time searching for and finding Mr Chat's record you might as well process it.
On contact the information was returned quickly I believe from a screen.

As an aside I was informed that if I didn't return the paperwork within 2 weeks my licence may be revoked. Cheeky monkees. :O
Looks like I am not on my own.

www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jun/26/uk-drivers-dvla-licences-delays
>> Looks like I am not on my own.
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jun/26/uk-drivers-dvla-licences-delays

You're not. Outfit just about managing on staff goodwill brought to its knees by pandemic's requirements for social distancing.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Further Update - No FM2R
>> just about managing on staff goodwill

I have no idea whether or not the staff have a point, though I suspect not, but it's not my idea of an organisation being held together by staff goodwill.

www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/hundreds-dvla-staff-walk-out-5553285

www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56977799

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/dvla-staff-strike-swansea-covid-20878244

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dvla-workers-swansea-public-health-wales-welsh-b930899.html

And so on and so on.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Further Update - Ambo
Delays pretty much my experience. I applied over a month ago and sent in my cut-up licence as instructed. In view of eyesight conditions (which DVLA already knew about) my application was passed to the Drivers Medical Group. About a month later, a phone call (No dice due to industrial action) and two letters asking for an acknowledgement (no response) I have given up but carry a copy of the first letter in the car in case I am stopped by the police. I believe I am legal.

No doubt Covid has a hand in it all but, come on, an acknowledgement? DVLA used to be excellent, with fast responses.

Does anyone know the Medical Group's email address or direct phone number please?
>> Does anyone know the Medical Group's email address or direct phone number please?

Does this help?

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/945842/inf94-drivers-with-medical-condition.pdf
 Driving Licence Renewal - Further Update - No FM2R
Bromp has given you the information you need, but as a general reference for others.....

contactnumbers.buzz/dvla/
Correction: I actually applied early March and got confirmation but then nothing.
Many thanks for useful leads.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Further Update - Robin O'Reliant
We just renewed ours today as they reach their ten year life in August. We had to go to a post office with the forms they sent (Nothing to fill in) and our existing licences. Photo taken by one of the assistants in their booth and receipts issued, £43 handed over for the pair and should be with us in two weeks.

All very quick and efficient.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Further Update - Duncan
>> We just renewed ours today as they reach their ten year life in August. We
>> had to go to a post office with the forms they sent (Nothing to fill
>> in) and our existing licences. Photo taken by one of the assistants in their booth
>> and receipts issued, £43 handed over for the pair and should be with us in
>> two weeks.
>>
>> All very quick and efficient.
>>

And expensive.

Says £14 if you renew online?

www.gov.uk/driving-licence-fees
>>
>>
>> And expensive.
>>
>> Says £14 if you renew online?
>>
>> www.gov.uk/driving-licence-fees
>>

You need to scan a photo and my bottom range HP all in one printer does not scan images to the PC, something I find a bit of odd cheapskatery.
Well that was quick. Both arrived yesterday after our post office applications on Tuesday.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Continued - Fullchat
Little bit more to this saga and I'm grumpy.

My 2year old BMW bike has creeping corrosion starting on the front face of the cylinders and cylinder heads. (Black coating) Bike has been examined at service and BMW have agreed to replace the engine casings and cylinder heads under warranty .

The claim has moved fairly quickly and the bike was booked in for me to deliver last Friday and a loan bike supplied. A few days prior I'd had a call from the Service Receptionist if I'd mind, pretty please, delaying to job as they had an urgent warranty issue to sort out. No problem to me. And today was agreed for me to deliver the bike to them.

Rang in this am to check everything was still to plan and a 3pm time arranged for delivery subject to a loan bike being returned to the from a previous service customer.
So a slow ride to Cleethorpes where me and a mate enjoyed a coffee to kill some time. Then the mother of a rain storm came down the Humber and we got wet - very wet!
Storm eased and to the Dealership we rode and got wet - very wet!

So we started the admin for the loan bike and she asked for my Driving Licence.
I had a photograph of my licence and the DVLA code for them to access my record. However as the licence is showing photograph expired as the end of May that was it. The insurance page she was filling in and due to the expired photograph the computer said 'No'.

I explained the issues and she went of to speak to someone else who also said 'No'.
So that was that. They could pick up my bike from my home address 30 miles away on Friday and return it but I wasn't getting a loan bike. So I left in disgust.

The dealership will have allocated workshop time of a mechanic/week starting next Monday.
So I've wasted a day, 60 mile round trip. I'm soaked to the skin and my bike is filthy.

Post Office tracker shows my recorded delivery medical declaration as being delivered to the DVLA Medical Unit 2 weeks ago.

This is 3 months now. Not acceptable!!
 Driving Licence Renewal - Continued - Bobby
Fully understand why you are grumpy.

But.

If I was going to pick up a hire/ loan vehicle and my license was expired I would have thought it prudent to phone ahead and explain the issue.
Ah yes. But under Sec 88 RTA I'm still authorised to drive and the DVLA driver remote record corroborates that.

DVLA could revoke my licence for not complying with their requirements but they have no reason to do that.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 7 Jul 21 at 22:17
DVLA Driving Licence Status indicates 'You have a full Driving Licence'
 Driving Licence Renewal - Continued - sooty123
I think i would have checked, yes dvla says so but any slight grey area especially as you travelled a distance. Too easy for people to go 'computer says no' regardless of if you're right, you've been left at a disadvantage. Mind you we've all been there one way or the other.
Strongly worded email to my MP about the overall situation has elicited a response and he has written to the Director of the DVLA.

So that's my licence revoked then :)
 Driving Licence Renewal - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57916619
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57916619

But that's come from the PCS and specifically MArk Serwotka. You cannot rely on a bunch of layabout lefties and a down right Trot for your facts :-P
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 21 Jul 21 at 17:24
 Driving Licence Renewal - No FM2R
>> >> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57916619
>>
>> But that's come from the PCS and specifically MArk Serwotka. You cannot rely on a
>> bunch of layabout lefties and a down right Trot for your facts :-P
>>

I don't. Especially him.

Unfortunately the other side of the battle are rubbish management and the usual politicians, and I don't believe them either.
 Driving Licence Renewal - At Last - Fullchat
Today is a good day :/ After 5 months.

My licence finally arrived. All categories are intact including motorcycle.

Other than their being the UK sign instead of the EU sign in the top left corner.

It arrived along with a separate letter from DVLA announcing that from the information received (as submitted by myself in the form of a simple declaration) that a Group 1 licence will be issued in the next 14 days.

Don't think I will re-apply for the HGV entitlement back to assist the haulage industry in its time of need. There could be a long wait.
 Driving Licence Renewal - At Last - Zero

>> Don't think I will re-apply for the HGV entitlement back to assist the haulage industry
>> in its time of need. There could be a long wait.

With 25 quid a hour on offer, and a new maximum of 56 hours a week driving, = £70k a year!

That'll top the pension pot up a bit.
 Driving Licence Renewal - VxFan
Going through this process at the moment.

As I have more than one medical condition, I cannot renew online.

Sent off the completed forms on the 31st Jan 2022. Recorded delivery.
Royal mail tracking still showing the letter to the DVLA being at the post office. I have been told by other people that DVLA have probably received it, but no one is there to sign for it as they're all working from home.

Tried phoning DVLA. "All our lines are busy at the moment. Try again later" click.
Tried emailing them, to eventually get an automated response saying if you're checking to see if we have received your application, or the progress of an application, then we are unable to provide this information.

Seems the only way to communicate with DVLA is either by post, or Fax machine!!!

How many people still have access to a Fax machine, FFS?????

Well I did 3 years ago when I last applied for my licence. But that option has since gone when our IT dept switched off the phone line and no one noticed for 9 months.
There are also Fax Apps, but who wants to faff about with them?

DVLA seem to be living in the dark ages. Whilst everyone else has dealt with Covid and managed to arrange alternate working arrangements, etc, DVLA are still running scared of it.

Why can't they process online applications if a person has more than one medical condition?

Why can't they accept applications via email?

Oh well, it looks like I'll be using Section 88 of The Road Traffic. Act 1988 if I get stopped after the 19th March.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 Mar 22 at 13:25
 Driving Licence Renewal - RichardW
If you keep the car insured and MOT'd, and don't drive like a dick you will never get stopped, and no questions will ever be asked!!
 Driving Licence Renewal - CGNorwich
A quick check of the website reveals that paper applications for the over seventies are currently being processed for applications submitted on the 10th January.

You can drive legally whilst DVLC have the application so no need to panic.

www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-coronavirus-covid-19-update
>> for the over seventies

Oi! I'm only 54.

>> You can drive legally whilst DVLC have the application so no need to panic.

That's million dollar question though. Do they have my application? Royal Mail tracking says no, and there is no way that I can get DVLA to confirm either.
I feel your pain ! :/
Guess that’s how I always imagined you. :-)

Apologies
 Driving Licence Renewal - Kevin
>Guess that’s how I always imagined you. :-)

A bit like Victor Meldrew but older?
>> >Guess that’s how I always imagined you. :-)
>>
>> A bit like Victor Meldrew but older?

Cheeky Gits ;)
>> Sent off the completed forms on the 31st Jan 2022. Recorded delivery.

My new licence finally arrived last Thursday. No apology for the delay, nothing.

Oh well, hopefully in 3 years time when I have to renew it again, the DVLA might be back in their offices and will have caught up on the backlog.

Oh look, a flying pig.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Timeonmyhands
SWMBO is seventy in September, green paper licence to renew. Did it online on the Monday, new plastic licence back on the Friday. DVLA took picture from passport. Very pleasantly surprised.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Terry
Not driving licence but passport a couple of months ago. Renewed online, confirmation that replacement was being couriered back with 5 days, received 3 days later.

It is obviously all a bit erratic but Passport Office (and possibly DVLA) normal annual demand is ~7.5m applications, for 2 years during Covid demand dropped to ~4m, now back up to 9.5m as a catch up. Furloughed staff have found other jobs, capacity reduced and demand up.

No surprise there are problems.

Driving Licence Renewal - Duncan
I am/was due another renewal of the 'Over 70' driving licence. One can renew up to 3 months before the 'every 3 years' anniversary. I was trying online the moment the 3 months was in place and I was rejected several times. I was all set to give up and use the snail mail renewal method, when the system finally decided to accept me.

Various people have said that they got their licence back within a few days. IIRC DVLA said inside 2 weeks. We will see. Presumably it is a completely automated service?
 Driving Licence Renewal - tyrednemotional
>>One can renew up to 3 months before the 'every 3 years' anniversary.....

I believe it's 90 days, which is slightly different, and might account for being rejected in the very early attempt(s).
 Driving Licence Renewal - Falkirk Bairn
I applied on-line on Friday for my "over 70" licence renewal.

Looked on-line on Sunday at my Driving Licence record - my on-line details has my licence expiring in 2025.

I will keep my eye open for the Postie in the next few days.

Looks like I am one of the lucky ones.

My next door neighbour is barred from driving due to a health concerns in 2021.
Although his 12 months is up fairly soon there seems to be no movement /acknowledgements from the DVLA processing anything. Although barred in 2021 it was only in the Spring of 2022 that this was seen on the DVLA on-line status of his licence.
>> Various people have said that they got their licence back within a few days. IIRC
>> DVLA said inside 2 weeks. We will see. Presumably it is a completely automated service?

Generally applying online for a new driving licence is reasonably quick.

It's when you have to apply by post (or fax!), there is a HUGE delay. I had no choice but to apply by post as I have more than one medical condition.

DVLA are really behind the times with regard to modern technology.
I've been on a DVLA website which told me the expiry date of my license, is there a DVLA website
that will tell me the date i actually passed my test ?
It’s on the back of you licence under column 10. If you had a licence for a long while however the date might be shown like mine i.e. <12.12.75. i.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 27 Jul 22 at 16:01
 Driving Licence Renewal - BiggerBadderDave
1975, CGN?

What did you pass in? I think mine was a Nissan Cherry.
Morris Minor. I actually passed the test in 1969
 Driving Licence Renewal - Zero
1973 Red Ford Escort 1300XL
My license shows 11/06/74 I know it was about 10 years before then.
1958 Ford Escort.

tinyurl.com/d2z7szd3
 Driving Licence Renewal - Falkirk Bairn
My licence shows <22.10.1976
Actual test pass was 22nd September 1964 - I was almost 18.

A brother lent me his car when he went on holiday in 1965
19 year old student driving around in a new Rover 2000 for a fortnight - nearly a 500 miles in 2 weeks!

You will be pleased to learn that my new 3 year licence arrived on Friday.

Well done, DVLA Swansea!
 Driving Licence Renewal - Crankcase
What, you mean it's three years since you applied?
 Driving Licence Renewal - tyrednemotional
>> You will be pleased to learn that my new 3 year licence arrived on Friday.
>>

...only if one lives North of Watford....
>> Well done, DVLA Swansea!

Mine came from a different address to the usual one.
I applied for mine online on Saturday, arrived today!
It's the postal applications that are taking forever to be processed.
Does anyone bother sending their old licence back, as requested?

Or just the bin?
 Driving Licence Renewal - Slightlyfatdirector
I sent mine and my wife's back. Couldn't see why not, and it's stated as a requirement.
I don't think there was any request made to return mine.

I just put it through the shredder at work.
Was asked to return the paper one when a photocard was issued but never did.
Latest Forum Posts