Motoring Discussion > TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 14

TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - bathtub tom
AH, sad!
tinyurl.com/5buy8nuw
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Thu 15 Apr 21 at 19:34
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - CGNorwich
Never did rate those new fangled modern RMs anyway.

The classic London bus is the RT. Part of the landscape when I was young and living in Ilford.The 129 ran by the top of our road.
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - Robin O'Reliant
I remember a kid at school dying because he fell off the platform of one of them. No busload of grief councllors turning up at the school next day or group hugs, just a warning at assembly not to act like a fool on a bus and a load of jokes among pupils which contained the words "Ding ding".

Them were the days.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 16 Apr 21 at 14:16
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - No FM2R
>> which contained the words "Ding ding".

I love that sound. We still get it on some of the older buses.
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - Bromptonaut
People tumbled off the platforms of Routemasters and their cousins in the regions (in Leeds we had Bristol/ECW Lodekkas) with monotonous regularity.

The vast majority dusted themselves down and walked or limped away.

The odd one banged their head awkwardly and had much worse outcomes.
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - Robin O'Reliant
>> The vast majority dusted themselves down and walked or limped away.
>>
>> The odd one banged their head awkwardly and had much worse outcomes.

The boy in my example had the misfortune to fall off as the bus was turning right at a junction and landed in front of a car which was passing on the left to go straight on.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Apr 21 at 19:39
It's a difficult line to draw; how far to you impose safety regulations on everybody to protect the potentially unfortunate <1%.

I don't know the answer, though I'm pretty sure that we've gone too far.

I remember some of the stuff I used to get up to when a kid, much of which could have had nasty outcomes. I've let my daughters do most things, but even though they are still more restricted than I was at their age.
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - CGNorwich
Surely you all learnt how to jump off a moving bus as a kid ?

Stand on the platform Hold the hand rail rail with your left hand,wiht your left foot on the platform and swing round to the back of the bus and as you drop start running. Basic life skill.
Absolutely.

And with b***** heavy train doors as well. But every now and again someone came a nasty cropper.
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - BiggerBadderDave
I saw it happen at the bottom of Regent Street. I was waiting to cross so I was watching the approaching traffic. A Routemaster was coming with a girl getting ready to jump off. I absolutely knew she was going to do it far too soon. I was thinking 'don't do it'. But she did. And it was nasty. Her glasses eventually landed at my feet. I nipped in a shop and asked them to call for an ambulance, no mobiles in those days.

I'll never forget it, early twenties and very long ginger hair. A real stunner but bereft of all road sense.
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - henry k
The Routemaster my school bus. Fun days!!.
The 37 was one of those long routes. It went from Houslow to Peckham so the timetable was "flexible" which ment turning the busses around at one of the many chosen locations so we ended up with a depleted service.
www.google.com/maps/search/london+road+isleworth+station/@51.4751903,-0.337002,80m/data=!3m1!1e3.

Our solutions to the homeward bound bus trip.
The bus had to had to deviate from the direct route to get under the railway.
Our foot route was to come south down College Road after school.

1. Us early/ on time. Turn right to the bus stop.
2. Us a little late . Turn left and sprint after the bus knowing it had to slow down, change down gears to turn right and crawl up the slope. Many folks must have thought we ere doomed to failure as the bus was initially accelerating away from us.
3. Us even later. Run straight across the London Road dodging the trafiic.
Run through the carpark along side the railway turn left under a low railway bridge and leap on board at the next stop.
Mad days !!!
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - Duncan
>> The Routemaster my school bus.

Spring Grove?
Spring Grove?
Nah! SG was a " mixed" grammar school on the London Road nearer Hounslow and next to the , still existing Fire Station.
Isleworh Grammar School - chaps only, was opposite Borough Road College,( Brunel Uni then flogged off) just off the A4 near Osterley Tube station and Osterley Park.
 TFL to discontinue Routemaster buses - PeterS
When I lived in Kew back in the early / mid nineties the H37 came over Kew Bridge, along Kew Road and to Richmond. Definitely wasn’t a routemaster though, usually a single decker boxy thing
H37 etc.
In days of yore so many of the routes were so long they eventually split them up , renumbered parts of the routes and reorganised them
The old 37 could have unscheduled turn rounds at Wandsworth, Putney Richmond and Isleworth etc thus badly depleting the service to the far end of the route.
www.londonbuses.co.uk/_routes/current/037.html
Other routes I recall
265 Chessington, Kew East Acton -
33 Twickenham to Old Ford ( beyond Bethnal Green )

Latest Forum Posts