Non-motoring > Ever Given Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 48

Ever Given - Duncan
The Ever Given has been freed,

Change the scale in the bottom right hand corner.

www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000
 Ever Given - Zero
Not quite, they have managed to widen the canal round it tho.

The bow has been dug out, and they are currently trying to swing it round.
 Ever Given - henry k
The stern has certainly been moved a lot.
They are hoping to complete the move as the tide rises from about 10:00 GMT.
video at www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56559904
 Ever Given - Zero
The interesting shot is the wider level of the area, from the Gulf of Aden up the Red Sea to the Gulf of Suez.

Normally it looks like the M25 on a busy day, now it looks like the M25 on a Bank Holiday when the Qe2 bridge is shut! Tens of billions $ of world trade is jammed up.

www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:43.2/centery:22.7/zoom:5
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Mar 21 at 10:04
 Ever Given - Manatee
Going to be a lot of insurance angst I should think.
 Ever Given - henry k
BBC lunchtime update.

High winds have blown the stern back across the canal.
 Ever Given - Zero
The salver is seriously talking about having to unload the thing
 Ever Given - henry k
>> The salver is seriously talking about having to unload the thing
>>
From what I understand that is a long difficult task.
Not just a large lifting device, transported overland or maybe a ship with a suitable crane.
Then there is the problem of selecting the containers so the balance of the ship is maintained and not overstressed.

New rules / procedures will be required for such vessels in high winds ??
 Ever Given - No FM2R
>>High winds have blown the stern back across the canal.

But apparently have caused no particular extra difficulty because only the bow remains stuck.

I'm surprised that the ship's engines can't pull it back. Perhaps it would churn up the bottom too much. Seems like only regular dredging keeps it navigable as it is.

I see there are increasing murmurings about the original cause being human error. That'll be one pilot/naviagtor with a career direction which is no longer up, then.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 29 Mar 21 at 14:18
 Ever Given - Ambo
I would have advised him to do what I often did, with a full-length narrowboat. It, too, offered a lot of windage but could be kept going ahead in winds off the beam by dint of offering it slantwise to the wind. This took the full width of the "cut" however and would not work with fore and aft winds.
 Ever Given - Ambo
According to Microsoft News, the ship is on the move, being tugged to the Great Bitter Lake for inspection. With the stern being dragged as it was, apparently through solid material, I would expert rudder or propeller damage.
 Ever Given - Manatee
I also have a certain amount of experience of helming narrowboats of 60 & 70 feet in high winds but I wouldn't try to apply it to piloting the Ever Given.

What's tricky is when you stop as you have no easy means of preventing it blowing on to the bank when the wind is abeam as we seafarers call it. But a ship of any size now will have side thrusters at the bow and probably the stern. Perhaps they were overwhelmed, or the pilot's eye was off the ball and momentum took over. I'm pretty sure there'll be some human error involved, high winds can't be as rare as all that but is is relatively rare that the Suez canal is blocked.
 Ever Given - R.P.
A crowd of us went narrowboating on the Llangollen canal last September, put it like this, wasn't like any RWD BMW I've ever driven. The aqueduct at Pontcysyllte was incredible.
 Ever Given - smokie
History repeated itself, sort of

www.snopes.com/fact-check/truck-evergreen-block-highway/
 Ever Given - henry k
Egypt seizes ship that blocked Suez Canal over $900m compensation claim

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56743556
 Ever Given - Fullchat
Where there's blame there's a claim.
 Ever Given - Zero
Huge expense to both stranded shipping and for recovery, someone has to pay.

However

Wasnt the Suez canal authority pilot in charge of the ship?
 Ever Given - No FM2R
And didn't I see something about $300m for damage to reputation? Seems ever so slightly ridiculous.

Bearing in mind that all the external contractor salvage costs are being paid by another insurer.
 Ever Given - henry k
>> Huge expense to both stranded shipping and for recovery, someone has to pay.
>>
>> However
>>
>> Wasnt the Suez canal authority pilot in charge of the ship?
>>
IIRC No - the captain is alway in charge.
 Ever Given - Biggles
For the Panama canal, the pilot assumes command of navigation but for Suez they are there to provide 'advice'.
 Ever Given - Zero
>> For the Panama canal, the pilot assumes command of navigation but for Suez they are
>> there to provide 'advice'. take the pilotage fee but avoid responsibility
 Ever Given - Zero
Excellent vid on how the canal operates and its fluid dynamics

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-m4pm8oog
 Ever Given - No FM2R
Yes, it was interesting. A bunch of stuff that I didn't know which seemed obvious when it was explained, which is my kind of video.

I wish he'd said more about how it happened, or at least could have happened. I like a bit of speculation from experts.
 Ever Given - BiggerBadderDave
"Even the moon helped".

Fantastic video. Liked his his model crane, too.

I remember watching a video or documentary years ago about the bulbous bow and how it developed and evolved. It was fascinating because they showed clearly the effects of a fluid medium at hugely reduced scale, just as this guy shows. But the medium of air at a reduced scale would show you very little. As in, a jet would fly at 100 mph but a model 100th of it's size at 1mph wouldn't do anything. Their conclusion, not mine.
 Ever Given - Manatee
I like that sort of stuff.

Anybody who has done a reasonable amount of canalling with a narrow boat will recognise the "squat" phenomenon - I had always put it down to the prop throwing water out from under the stern but clearly there's a bit more to it, if it happens with a brick that has no propeller! I should have known Bernoulli's principle would have something to do with it.

I wouldn't say it qualifies me as a Suez pilot, but about 25 years ago we took a lovely hire boat, probably about 60', called Poppy up the shallow Caldon canal from Stoke. Built by the renowned Les Allen it had a slightly deeper draft than is typical for such boats and even at moderate speed we had a bit of trouble running aground at the stern or removing ropes, plastic fertiliser sacks etc. from the prop despite keeping up the middle in the deepest water. Reducing speed to less than half walking pace proved to be the answer.

www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1189665

Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 21 Apr 21 at 10:38
 Ever Given - Ambo
The sound has gone from my computer so I couldn't make any sense of the link. However, we had a 72' Les Allen as our final canal narrowboat (actually built by his sons). From canals and river motor-boating I gathered that the squatting problem is down to cavitation. If forward movement is hindered energy goes to sucking in air. The mixture with water is less dense than water itself and offers less support to the hull. The stern squats and will squat still deeper if the helmsman revs up. The stern gear may be damaged. Changing to neutral usually lets the hull float free, when it can be pushed into deeper water.

Cavitation is the reason that narrowboats have broad sterns. Butties were hauled and had no engine but pointed sterns. When converted to boats, you will probably have seen the huge wings that were added to prevent the air from being sucked round the prop.

I guess Poppy had a weed hatch to give access to the prop. Less than an hour from the Allens' yard on our maiden voyage we collected a huge tarpaulin and spent a good two hours sawing it free via the hatch with a bread knife (a vital piece of equipment, not mentioned in the literature).

We once came across a hire boat sitting in the middle of the cut. The crew had cleared their prop but left the weed hatch open before cruising off. I don't know how it was freed but my photograph of it was published in a canal magazine.

Ever Given - smokie
If you mean the YouTube link Ambo then you can turn on subtitles, towards the right at the bottom of the screen - move your cursor to the bottom so you get the pop-up with the slider and it is sixth from the right.

I usually use them because the family grumble that I have the volume up too loud (usually music) but that is how it appears to them as I am upstairs on a wooden floor with a fairly chunky subwoofer.
 Ever Given - No FM2R
>>I usually use them because the family grumble that I have the volume up too loud (usually music)

I'm not sure that I would enjoy music as much with the volume turned down and relying on subtitles.

I suppose you can hum.
 Ever Given - Zero
>> I suppose you can hum.

I know we have been in lockdown and everything, but there is no excuse not to shower.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 22 Apr 21 at 11:52
 Ever Given - Ambo
Clearer with the subtitles, thanks.
 Ever Given - four wheels good...
I help run a charity boat on the Caldon based at Cheddleton. This canal is often a challenge as it is neither deep nor wide for most of its length. Often passing oncoming boats in the wrong places forces one of the boats onto the shallows. Windy days add to the excitement.

It has very few straight stretches with some difficult bends and a very tight tunnel approaching Froghall. Some boats ignore the height gauges finding that they can enter the tunnel but a little way through get stuck as it then reduces in height. On most boats everything has to be cleared off of the cabin roof and has to be steered with the helmsman kneeling on the deck, peering over the cabin roof.

Ever Given - henry k
>> The Ever Given has been freed,
>>
Not quite !

In case youare still waiting for items :-(

www.euronews.com/2021/05/05/egyptian-court-refuses-to-release-ever-given-container-ship-that-blocked-the-suez-canal
By Euronews with AP • Updated: 05/05/2021
 Ever Given - henry k
it is still in the bitter lake .

gcaptain.com/ever-given-owners-offer-suez-canal-authority/

Judicial sources said the case was postponed until July 4 to allow for “friendly settlement” between the parties.
 Ever Given - Zero
And still has lots of goods bound for the UK, including caravan Corner steadies, if you are hoping for your new caravan to arrive
 Ever Given Saga Ending - Zero
Is going to be freed!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-57719551
 Ever Given Saga Ending - No FM2R
".....It was freed six days later following a salvage operation that involved a flotilla of tug boats and dredging vessels, and during which one person was killed."

I missed that bit in the news. What happened?
 Ever Given Saga Ending - Falkirk Bairn
Egyptian Canal Authorities want $1Bn "damages & revenue loss" - pure fantasy amount.
The boat Insurers offered $100m
The boat was worth $170m and the insurers were threatening to walk

A compromise must have been reached
 Ever Given Saga Ending - Duncan
I went over there this morning and gave it a push, so it's on its way now.

www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5630138/zoom:10
And a bit more progress

www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5630138/zoom:10

Its heeeerrreeeee

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-58078100
>> Its heeeerrreeeee
>>
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-58078100
>>

I have got some nectarines on that boat, do you think they will be ripe yet?

Pendant Corner

Quote from Beeb
"Hundreds of ships were delayed as they waited for the canal to be unblocked and some vessels were forced to take the much longer route around the southern tip of Africa".

No ships were "forced" to drive round the bottom bit of Africa. They may have thought that it would be prudent, but they were not forced to do so.
It depends, given time, money and shelf life of goods on board, they may well have been forced to take the longer route.

Dictionary - Forced

1 : compelled by force or necessity
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 3 Aug 21 at 19:29
 Ever Given Saga Ending - Bromptonaut
>> It depends, given time, money and shelf life of goods on board, they may well
>> have been forced to take the longer route.
>>
>> Dictionary - Forced
>>
>> 1 : compelled by force or necessity

Or necessity is the key bit.

There's a message from time to time that nobody is forced to claim Universal Credit. On the other hand, if old regime benefits have stopped and you still want to eat and pay the rent, then necessity means you claim UC.
 Ever Given Saga Ending - No FM2R
A person *needs* to eat, a ship does not *need* to arrive on time.
 Ever Given Saga Ending - Bromptonaut
>> A person *needs* to eat, a ship does not *need* to arrive on time.

Was thinking in terms of the cargo being needed asap and/or its useful life.

Being paid for its arrival to keep business viable isn't that far off an analogy for needing to eat.
 Ever Given Saga Ending - Manatee
Forced is fine.

It's an oft-used word amongst dialect speakers in Yorkshire with a range of meaning. As in "tha'd best tek thi coit, it's not foarced t' bi sunny all day" (the weather looks changeable, I suggest you attire yourself accordingly).
Cambridge English Dictionary - definition of forced.

forced
adjective
UK /fɔːst/ US /fɔːrst/

done against your wishes:
forced repatriation
 Ever Given Saga Ending - Rudedog
From the radio this afternoon.... the price of a container has now jumped from £2500 to £15000, apparently the interviewee said that this increase would be passed straight onto the customer... no idea what might be in these containers or if it will affect anything i might buy?

Expect Christmas to be expensive this year.
It's now left Felixstowe, on its way to Suez.

Suez!? What's it going to Suez for? Another session?

www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5630138/mmsi:353136000/imo:9811000/vessel:EVER_GIVEN
Latest Forum Posts