Computer Related > Free Video Editing Computing Issues
Thread Author: neiltoo Replies: 12

Free Video Editing - neiltoo
I have to edit a ZOOM mp4 video to save a 2 minute section out of the middle of a 1 hour recording.
I need something that's easy to use.
Any ideas please?

Neil
 Free Video Editing - Crankcase
I use avidemux, which is free and pretty intuitive.
 Free Video Editing - tyrednemotional
If you're on Win10, the pre-installed "Photos" app makes MP4 trimming easy.

Open the MP4 in Photos, click the "pencil" icon at the bottom for editing, select "trim" and drag the white (start and end) "buttons" on the timeline to the start and end of your selection respectively, and then save it.

You can check it's the correct section before saving by pulling the blue button to the start, and playing it.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Thu 25 Mar 21 at 11:49
Thanks both.

I'm on W8.

Wonder if I candownload Photos?

Cheers
Last edited by: neiltoo on Thu 25 Mar 21 at 12:57
No, It's only supported on W10

8o(
Just downloaded avidemux and edited the video with just a few false starts.

Many thanks

8o)
 Free Video Editing - Crankcase
Phew. After I posted I thought, ooh, hang on, MP4? But luckily yes it does.
It was completely new to me, and not immediately obvious. Finding exact points in a two hour recording took a lot of toing and froing, but was easier once I decided to approximate, and then home in on the first edit.
There's lack of an "execute"command, so you have to go to the edit dropdown for this -which took me a little while to pick up -I wondered what exactly I was going to cut.

I'm unlikely to be using it very often, but it is a useful weapon in the armoury.

Thanks again.
 Free Video Editing - smokie
I've only needed to edit videos once in a very blue moon so each time have to search for a solution but I see I have that program installed too so I suppose that's what I've used successfully. (If something doesn't do it for me, I delete it right away)
 Free Video Editing - No FM2R
I did that Top Gear clip a few days ago. The Windows 10 Photos app also edits videos. And very simple and intuitive it is too.

Though I was only clipping, not actually editing if you see what I mean.
 Free Video Editing - bathtub tom
>> Open the MP4 in Photos, click the "pencil" icon at the bottom for editing, select
>> "trim" and drag the white (start and end) "buttons" on the timeline to the start
>> and end of your selection respectively, and then save it.
>>
>> You can check it's the correct section before saving by pulling the blue button to
>> the start, and playing it.

I'm trying to edit a video using th 'photos' app. I select the 'pencil' icon and then 'trim' and I get a blue marker that I can slide along the video timeline. I don't see how I can select a start and finish for the piece of video I want.

I've looked at tutorials, but they seem to be for a different version and have completely differen facilities
 Free Video Editing - tyrednemotional
.. as above, pull the white blobs marking the start and end of the unedited video to your desired start and end points respectively.

(The blue blob is simply the current "play" position)
 Free Video Editing - bathtub tom
Aah, all becomes clear thank you.
Latest Forum Posts