Motoring Discussion > Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 8

Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 - henry k
The Department for Transport will reduce the grant from £3,000 to £2,500 and restrict it to cars under £35,000.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56441639
 Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 - Rudedog
The 35K limit can't be good, that will hit for drivers looking at a decent new EV.

I guess that's total price including extras?

Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 - sooty123
35k should still get you a decent new EV.
 Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 - Zero
>> 35k should still get you a decent new EV.

Indeed, in fact they only need to lop 4k off the price (and they will) and you'll get a basic Tesla mod 3
 Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 - Terry
For anyone buying a new £35k+ car, a £500 cut in subsidy is just about a complete irrelevancy.

Even for an EV with a price below £35k it is hardly a deal breaker - the decision to go EV or ICE is more fundamental than a set of upgraded alloys, pearlescent paint or proper spare wheel (for example)
 Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 - Lygonos
Plenty of capable EVs under £30k just now.

£30-35k gets you into Korean/German metal that can realistically travel 250+ miles (KIA eNiro & Soul, Hyundai Kona, VW iD.3)

My comfort zone for cars is sub-£30k anyway so not a big issue.
 Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 - smokie
My experience of some other govt grants has been that when the grant comes down the cost comes down with it. The one I'm particularly aware of is solar panels but apparently some bits under the current energy grant will come down once the grant ends (air source heat installation being the example I know pretty much for sure). Also they are currently giving £350 grant towards the cost of a home car charging point (EVSE) which I suspect will come straight off the cost once the grant ends.
 Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 - No FM2R
Indeed. The market is excellent at working out what people will pay and adjusting to it.
 Grants to buy electric cars to be cut to £2,500 - Mr Moo
Wonder why they didn’t go for £40k, so that the limit is consistent with HM Government’s definition of a ‘luxury car’?
Latest Forum Posts