Non-motoring > Sabine Schmitz RIP Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 17

Sabine Schmitz RIP - Rudedog
Just heard that she died today due to an ongoing illness.

Always brightened things up on TG.
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - Fullchat
She certainly did. I think she also did some appearances on 5th Gear. Taken too young.

RIP Sabine
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 17 Mar 21 at 10:58
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - smokie
She was driving the Ring taxi once when I went - tried to get in but fully booked. Didn't she do the TG transit van drive round the Nordschlief? I see they are devoting this week's TG to her, will be worth watching.

Sabine Schmitz RIP - VxFan
>> Didn't she do the TG transit van drive round the Nordschlief?

She did indeed. Tried to do a lap in under 10 mins after boasting to Clarkson, who did a lap in a diesel Jag in just under 10 mins, that she could do that time in a van.

IIRC, she managed it in something like 10 mins, 24 secs. Quite an achievement. It's on YouTube somewhere.

Didn't she have the nickname, "Queen of the Ring"?

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 Mar 21 at 12:27
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - Zero
I saw last year that her cancer had progressed to terminal. Bit of a legend really, and one of the few Germans who could take the P. Hand it out and take it.
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - smokie
That's a pre-req for being on Top Gear I expect... !!
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 17 Mar 21 at 15:41
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - MD
Rest in Peace young Lady. My God couldn't she drive.
Sabine on 5th Gear at Cadwell Park

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cwz115Uhz8&t=9s
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - No FM2R
Well, not to be difficult but I didn't really like her as a presenter, I'm sure she was great as a human being.

No doubt she was a very good driver, but not a world great. Nonetheless, far better than I ever could do. But I found her a largely wooden presenter who had been almost forced into that role by Top Gear.

I think Top Gear saw a gimmick which could replace the pretty worn out Stig idea, and be some kind of foil to Clarkson or Clarkson$imitators.. They forced the idea too hard and for too long before conceding that it wasn't really catching fire.

Sabine Schmitz RIP - Zero

>> found her a largely wooden presenter who

For a German she was as wooden as a sparkling waterfall.
I found her personality quite infectious. Each to their own :)
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - Bromptonaut
I've only seen the odd bit of her stuff on TG but it included the Nurburgring Transit sequence.

She managed to drive round there in the time she did and keeping up a semi ironic commentary in a foreign language while doing so.

I gave up on TG years ago but I might watch the 'memorial' episode.
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - sooty123
But I found her a largely wooden presenter who
>> had been almost forced into that role by Top Gear.
>>
>

Same here, she always seemed very awkward and stiff as a presenter.
I never knew she had been a presenter on TG. I though she'd only occasionally made a guest appearances on these shows. Then I don't make an effort to watch TG.

I did however watch this weeks where which involved a Metro 6R4 being driven in Grizedale. If you saw Car SOS, also this week, they restored a 6R4 and had a guest ride and drive in a similar machine around Blyton Park race circuit which is round these parts. I've subsequently spoken to the owner of the car. Going to have to silver tounge a ride :) (Bucket List)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 18 Mar 21 at 13:44
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - No FM2R
>>Going to have to silver tounge a ride :)

I can't help but think that there was a better way of phrasing that.
>> I never knew she had been a presenter on TG.

She was one of the presenters on the German equivalent of TG (D Motor on TV channel DMAX), along with Tim Schrick and Carsten van Ryssen.
 Sabine Schmitz RIP - John Boy
Sad to say I'd never heard of her. Nevertheless I had to find this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

She wasn't exactly "wooden" when she was expressing her pleasure in driving, was she?
Top Gear will unveil a 30 minute specially produced tribute to former presenter Sabine Schmitz this Sunday, April 4th, on BBC iPlayer at 9pm.

And it will be on BBC1, Wednesday, April 7th at 730pm.

www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/bbcstudios/2021/top-gear-a-tribute-to-sabine-schmitz-to-debut-this-sunday-following-series-finale

Latest Forum Posts