Motoring Discussion > Girly colours Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 33

Girly colours - legacylad
....my last white car was a Hillman Avenger estate. I think I was about 20yo, needed a van, bought an estate, long story.
I’m favouring white metallic..safer car ? I also like the metallic reds, first seen as Soul Red on various Mazda models.
Any opinions, and reasons why please ?
 Girly colours - zippy
Some cars look great in certain colours and not others.

I don't think the soul red on Mazdas is a "girly" colour.

My Tucson was in that light bright metallic blue that really suits it. I also like the dark ink blue that Nissan do, it's a very rich, deep colour. I think blue might be my favourite colour at the moment. The 3.2l Audi was deep metallic red, with a black roof and looked the business.

Not so keen on the vivid greens and oranges that seem to be on certain cars at the moment. I think they will age quickly.

Dad had a new Corrola Fastback in the 90's and whilst it was a dusky silver colour, in certain lights the pearlescent paint looked a bit pink. I wasn't impressed.
 Girly colours - Lygonos
ZS is white ("free" colour)

FRV is metallic black (hateful colour to keep clean, and Honda's Nighthawk Black Pearl is ridiculously easy to scratch)

Metallic red probably my favourite for most cars that aren't huge: looked good on my Swift Sport and Forester XT, but a bit much on a Shogun (mine was white)

Soul Red looks very nice - I think Alfa do/did a similar red that was a £££££ option.

i.wp.pl/a/f/jpeg/10937/alfa-romeo-8c-competizione-07.jpeg
I had a rental Renault in a dark red metallic which was nice. Someone locally has an E Class Estate in hyacinth red, and Ford have ruby red.
I’m equally tempted with a similar colour, more so than a metallic white, although I think that white is a safer colour as the car is more visible, especially at night.
Or maybe that’s cobblers !
 Girly colours - Dog
Howls about yellow? .. Out of all the cars I've owned, I've never had a yellow car.

I had a yellowish cream Zephyr back in the 70's, but that's about as close as I got to yellow.

I nearly bought a Primrose yellow MGB once, but ended up with BRG.

A mate had a yellow Cortina 2000 GT with a black vinyl roof which looked the biz, I thought.

The ole woman says she doesn't like yellow - I pointed out that it's said to be the safest car colour.

She replied "that's because there aren't that many about" ... she's from Essex!
Yellow. I almost bought a yellow Triumph Spitfire back in the day. Bought one in BRG...my first highly successful passion wagon. I still have the brochure...Triumph Spitfire 1500...which has a yellow one on the cover, boys n girls in climbing breeches, Bristow Rescue helicopter, photo taken at Buttermere I think.
I’ve also got an MG Midget-MGB-MGT GT brochure, with a yellow Midget on the cover. At the time my gf’s mother had an MGB-GT and I almost bought that.
The car. Not her mother. Best not go there.
 Girly colours - Dog
Some cars look okay in yellow - Spitfire, Midget, Dolomite Sprint etc.

Neighb had a TVR Chimera, peops used to call it the flying banana.

Red 'coachwork' used to suffer under the ole UV, maybe things have moved on since then though b'cos my red Forester was okay when I part exed it for a white CRV, a nice white, as it wasn't white white :)
 Girly colours - No FM2R
My Roadster was yellow. I always thought it looked pretty good. Not sure I'd have anything other than a sports car in yellow though.
 Girly colours - Bromptonaut
>> My Roadster was yellow. I always thought it looked pretty good. Not sure I'd have
>> anything other than a sports car in yellow though.

According to his colleagues my Dad had a taste for cars in 'non conservative' colours. Until 1966 the company changed it's cars every year. Various bi-colour or two tone Vauxhall Victor Estates in FA, FB and FC101 guise. When I was about 4 the new arrival was red to the waistline and grey above. I told our neighbour, a courtesy Uncles, the Daddy's new had a red bottom and a grey top to which Uncle Eric replied that he had too!!

A bright red Simca 1500 GLS estate followed which stayed until 69.

One of his last cars with the firm, c1978, was a Ford Granada 2.8GLS in Signal Yellow. A Colour usually associated with Fiestas but it looked quite good with a black vinyl roof.
 Girly colours - Dog
I wouldn't say no to a yellow submarine.

:o}
 Girly colours - Dog
What a grey day: www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/105731/car-colours-grey-uks-favourite-again-2020
 Girly colours - MD
>> Yellow. I almost bought a yellow Triumph Spitfire back in the day. Bought one in
>> BRG...my first highly successful passion wagon. I still have the brochure...Triumph Spitfire 1500...which has a
>> yellow one on the cover, boys n girls in climbing breeches, Bristow Rescue helicopter, photo
>> taken at Buttermere I think.
>> I’ve also got an MG Midget-MGB-MGT GT brochure, with a yellow Midget on the cover.
>> At the time my gf’s mother had an MGB-GT and I almost bought that.
>> The car. Not her mother. Best not go there.
>>
Own up.... Did yer....................
 Girly colours - No FM2R
Lots of white cars here, to do with the sun I guess.

I have some sort of really dark grey/green, almost black. One of my more stupid ideas, always looks dirty.

I like reds. The Mazda red is especially attractive.
 Girly colours - Runfer D'Hills
As I only tend to clean my cars if there's an Equinox or a solstice, or every ten thousand miles if that comes sooner, it really doesn't matter what colour they are. Except maybe for the four days a year when they are actually clean I suppose.

But, I dislike pale blue, beige, pale green, white and yellow. I do like bright red, dark red, dark blue, dark green, silver, grey and black.

Girly colours - Manatee
Soul Red, which has morphed into the even more popping Soul Red Crystal, is said to be quite soft - not sure whether that goes for other similar looking finishes. I nearly bought an MX-5 in the original colour but it wasn't right and I ended up with Mica Blue Reflex, which can look quite blue, or grey, depending on the light incidence. Whether that is soft or just thin I don't know, but the top layer chips easily - maybe just a consequence of a droopy snoot quite near road level.

I've had white/light cars as a safety default when I couldn't get a colour I liked. Green is said to be 'unlucky' and certainly proved to be so for my dad, he had a couple of green cars that might as well have had targets painted on them.

Two of my white ones still got rammed up the chuff while I was stationary, waiting to turn right. Maybe they stand out better at night, but blend in during the day? When I had a company Ford in 1983 I had a choice of dark brown metallic or something the colour of sick called Coral Beige. I went for the lighter colour and was still hit amidships while minding my own business.

We have 3 blue cars at the moment - the Mazda, a Cosmic (dark) Blue Outlander and a metallic turquoisy blue Roomster. The Roomster has proven to be a bit of a target, with 3 body shop visits in 6 years, although it caused the first conflict.

Girly colours - No FM2R
Hmmm, we have a multitude of colours but the one that seems to take all the hits is a burgundy Landcruiser.

Though I don't think that's caused by the colour so much as my wife's insistence on using the ricochet approach to manoeuvring.

Currently it has got a vertical, straight line dent about 4" long asnd an inch deep in the middle of the rear door directly above the window. I am mystified but curious though I am, not sufficiently so to risk injury by asking.
 Girly colours - MD
A friend has a 70 plate 208 three pot petrol turbo. The red (Lord only knows its name) is a colour to die for. Car goes well too since they added the turbo, but as all 208's its a bit cramped. Good looking motor though.
 Girly colours - hawkeye
>> Currently it has got a vertical, straight line dent about 4" long asnd an inch
>> deep in the middle of the rear door directly above the window. I am mystified
>> but curious though I am, not sufficiently so to risk injury by asking.
>>

Excellent! Now we can guess the cause of the dent as potentially described on the insurance claim form. I vote for "axe damage". Regrettably, we may never find out.
 Girly colours - hawkeye
I've had red cars since 1996 for no particular reason other than that's the colour they were at the time of purchase. Unfortunately, that only represents 3 vehicles.

The Jaguar's metallic Radiance Red looks very nice since I polished it last year. Mrs H's first Citroen C3 was metallic silver with a pink, sorry, rose tint. I sold it on Ebay to a chap who was buying a car for his son. I've often wondered what happened when the son saw it for the first time.
 Girly colours - PeterS
We’ve only had one white car, a VW Up! Back in 2012. White suited it I think. Not sure I see the point in a metallic white, through MINI do a silver that looks almost white. The short lived Ibiza was a lovely metallic red - called Desire Red I think. Nice and bright. I also liked the misano red pearlescent colour the A3 was in, though often it just looked like a flat bright red. The M235is metallic estoril blue was also a good colour - bright but not too garish, and reminiscent of the E36 M3. There’s a paler version on the 1/2 series which looks insipid.

But not all colours suit all cars, so what car are you looking at!
Well....as I hope to drive over to Spain, staying en route with French friends who live outside Nantes, spend time in the Picos de Europa and dump the car on mountain roads & tracks used by manic granjeros I don’t want something too precious.
A Focus Active Estate seems to fit the bill. Insignificant increase in ride height, but that model has lots of toys fitted as standard. The 1.5 150 engine, Ruby Red. A 12/24 month old model should have depreciated significantly, but I quite fancy spending the intervening months before I travel driving around in a small hatch which I can then get rid of at short notice.

Surprisingly my pal in the trade, the past 18 years as workshop manager in some large main dealers, now heading up a large indie, has warned me off the 1.0 3cyl Ford engine. Apparently it doesn’t like being thrashed, which is what I did with my rental ones. It’s known in his trade as the ‘chocolate engine’. I was looking for a cheap high mileage ST Line Fiesta. In their favour he does say that new replacement engines from Ford are cheap, circa £1200. He’s fitted quite a few.
 Girly colours - Bobby
Is that the “Ecoboost” engines? If so, they have long been known as very poor lasting.

My mechanic once tried to explain to me why this was the case. Cant pretend I had a clue what he was talking about, was it something about the oil being recycled through it in some way ?

Yes. He said ‘Ecoboost’. Thing is, and I wasn’t going to argue with him, is that there are millions of them so it stands to reason that there will be more where the engine goes bang.
He said they were ok as a shopping trolley, great handling, nice to drive, just don’t drive them hard over a long period of time....presumably several months or years.
He put me right off in one fell swoop as I fancied thrashing one around after favourable experiences with rental ones.
 Girly colours - Duncan
>> Is that the “Ecoboost” engines? If so, they have long been known as very poor
>> lasting.
>>
>> My mechanic once tried to explain to me why this was the case. Cant pretend
>> I had a clue what he was talking about, was it something about the oil
>> being recycled through it in some way ?

Quote.
"1 LITRE ECOBOOST ENGINE PROBLEMS
Loss of engine power and serious valve damage is commonplace on higher mileage EcoBoost engines. The EcoBoost engine features only direct fuel injection with no fuel to naturally clean leading to a build up of carbon on the intake valve stems, which restricts airflow.

High-mileage EcoBoost engines also can suffer from fuel pressure problems. Low pressure produced by the fuel injector pump restricts the engine, hampering its performance. This can often be resolved by simply replacing the fuel pump.

The most significant and notorious issue with EcoBoost engines is related to overheating. Early Ford models fitted with EcoBoost engines had coolant pipes made of nylon, which were to prone to failing at high temperatures. A Field Service Action (FSA) was issued in March 2015 which saw Ford replace the pipes of 96% of 44,682 affected vehicles."

End Quote.

Yes, there was a problem. It has now/should have been fixed.
 Girly colours - PeterS
>> Is that the “Ecoboost” engines? If so, they have long been known as very poor
>> lasting.
>>
>> My mechanic once tried to explain to me why this was the case. Cant pretend
>> I had a clue what he was talking about, was it something about the oil
>> being recycled through it in some way ?
>>
>>
>>

I had a hire car (Foxus) with the 3 cylinder turbo engine once; while almost brand new the engine failed on a 500 odd mile journey from Edinburgh to Gatwick via North Yorkshire. I limped it back to LGW and gave it back...they’d seen loads go pop. Admittedly back in 2015, but I wouldn’t buy one with my money.
Plenty of other small capacity 3 cyl engines about. I wonder if it’s just the Ford Ecoboost which suffers regular problems, and as I wouldn’t be buying new, but an older high mileage Fiesta I’ll be giving it a miss.
Just about every hire car I get these days is a small 3cyl job.
A lot to be said for an old straight six as per my third hand 2004 BM 330
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 6 Mar 21 at 22:06
 Girly colours - Zero
Ford Ecoboost engines had early issues with coolant hoses, but they have been in use for some considerable time now - 9 years - and they are as reliable as any other. They also suffer from inlet valve issues, but thats common with all GDI engines, which most new designs are.
 Girly colours - bathtub tom
I thought a major problem with the ecoboost engine was the timing belt sitting in the oil. I believe Peugeot have had problems with the same design due to the belt breaking up and shedding small pieces that block the oil strainer in the sump. I think Peugeot are now on the third design of this belt.
 Girly colours - Bobby
Think that’s what my mechanic was explaining to me!
 Girly colours - PeterS
Ah well, if it is a Focus (current shape?) then the bright metallic red looks good. Mind you I also think it looks good in dark grey and black. Especially if an estate.
 Girly colours - Bobby
>>Not sure I see the point in a metallic white,

My X1 is solid white ( though creamier than Ford’s solid white), but BMW also do a lovely Pearlescent White which is stunning when cleaned and polished ( so irrelevant to 95% of this forum)

I have had a Peugeot 309, Citroen ZX, Hyundai ix35 and now the X1 in white. I like white cars especially for cleaning and lack of obvious scratches and swirls that you get with darker colours.
 Girly colours - Boxsterboy
I saw Jordan/Katie Price driving her Range Rover Sport a couple of years ago. It was pink. That is a proper girlie colour!

Mrs BB's BMW Gran Tourer is flat white and our daughter's Up! is also white. White is a good colour in that it keeps the car cool and does not show dust, but if flat can lose its shine quickly. I think metallic white is a nice colour.
 Girly colours - VxFan
>> I saw Jordan/Katie Price driving her Range Rover Sport a couple of years ago. It was pink. That is a proper girlie colour!

I believe she has all her vehicles painted in pink. Even her horseboxes!

tinyurl.com/yjfgvxhz
 Girly colours - Zero
Indeed, makes a tempting and productive target for Sussex police, one they never fail to take advantage of.
Latest Forum Posts