Motoring Discussion > Good time to buy second hand? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

Good time to buy second hand? - Bobby
Cousin has £10k budget to replace her 2006 Golf She is thinking of another Golf but I am also suggestion Leon, Focus, C Max.

Whats the general consensus on when is best to buy? Now when all the showrooms are appt only or wait till they open up again?

I am thinking they might be keen on getting a sale just now, but on the contrary, with all the furlough / Govt subsidies, they might not be bothered too much about any cash flow?

Once markets open up again these cars will have been sitting unmoved on forecourts for a few months - big incentives to sell the stock and turn it all over at that point? Or will it be a sellers market and no deals offered as there will be so many buyers desperate to get new wheels?

Up here, 90% of the showrooms seem to be owned by Arnold Clark.
 Good time to buy second hand? - legacylad
As and when, she may wish to add the Mazda 3 to a short list of possible replacements.

I’m not happy with the situation of buying blind..I’d like a decent road test or careful inspection of a vehicle I was buying second hand. And how do you take a road test when it’s supposedly essential journeys only ?
 Good time to buy second hand? - Duncan
www.autotrader.co.uk/ have more cars 514,000 than I can remember seeing previously. Now might be a good time.

Has she considered Kia and Hyundai? Very reliable and generally cheaper than the Honda and Toyota.
 Good time to buy second hand? - Zero
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/ have more cars 514,000 than I can remember seeing previously. Now might be a
>> good time.
>>
>> Has she considered Kia and Hyundai? Very averagely reliable and generally cheaper than the Honda and
>> Toyota.
>>
 Good time to buy second hand? - Stuartli
A good friend, who has two disabled children and acquires vehicles on the Motability scheme, had immediate troubles with successive Kia and Hyundai vehicles (the former was replaced with the latter).

The dealership failed to solve the problems and proved so inefficient that, following complaints, the charity stepped in, refunded the deposit and waived the much higher deposit on a Mercedes replacement.

Trouble free travel since then and vital in view of the requirements for the children.

Good time to buy second hand? - zippy
>> Hyundai vehicles
>> The dealership failed to solve the problems and proved so inefficient that, following complaints, the
>>

I had a leased Tucson - diesel, DCT. Occasionally it failed to accelerate, even going down a steep hill.

It also totally died on a sharp and dangerous corner.

Dealer found nothing wrong with it and reluctantly I took it back.

So I drove it again and it totally died. Even the AA couldn't get it going again. So got it dumped at the dealer at night and visited them next morning and got the lease company to call as well.

It took a visit from Hyundai technical services to resolve, plus a new part, but they wouldn't tell me what the issue actually was (though I speculated failure to burn soot in the DPF even though I would regularly drive to Manchester, Birmingham etc from the South Coast).

Good time to buy second hand? - Stuartli
Snap. My friend understood it was something to do with the Tuson software, but was not prepared to put the children at risk if or because the vehicle stalled or suffered acceleration problems.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 8 Feb 21 at 23:11
 Good time to buy second hand? - PeterS
Interesting that there are so many cars for sale when the talk is also of strong used car prices as well; even the nearly new stuff is not particularly cheap. I guess the large drop in new car registrations has had a knock on effect on the availability of used car stock? Maybe dealers are less inclined to sell what they have cheaply when replacing the used car stock will be difficult? It could easily be 18/24 months of new sales being hugely down, so maybe the used dealers are now taking a sell less but at a higher per unit profit approach? Who knows....
Latest Forum Posts