Computer Related > Amazon Fire Stick Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 33

Amazon Fire Stick - Ambo
I want to give my Fire Stick away but don't want the recipient to use my account. I haven't used the stick for months and can't make it communicate with my TV any longer, hence no possibility of going through the reset procedure. I have however managed to de-register it on the Amazon website. Does this make it safe?
 Amazon Fire Stick - VxFan
Personally I would want to access the stick and reset it back to "out of the box" factory settings.
 Amazon Fire Stick - Ambo
Me too and Amazon told me how, but I failed because there was no communication between stick and TV.
 Amazon Fire Stick - Falkirk Bairn
Its USB stick.
Put it in your PC/laptop and it might come to life
 Amazon Fire Stick - No FM2R
>> Its USB stick.
>> Put it in your PC/laptop and it might come to life

It's not USB, though I can see how it might look like it is. But it's an HDMI sticky-out bit, not a USB sticky-out bit.

You can have a USB power cable for it which does plug into a USB socket for power.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 25 Jan 21 at 12:48
In what way does it no longer communicate with your TV?
 Amazon Fire Stick - Ambo
Plugged in, new batteries, just no response on the TV screen.
 Amazon Fire Stick - sooty123
Could the firestick be bust and you have to bin it?
 Amazon Fire Stick - Crankcase
Stupid question, but you are actually telling the tv to swap to the input the stick is plugged into, yes?
 Amazon Fire Stick - smokie
It's not USB, at least none of mine are.

If you can't communicate with it, it's hardly worth giving it away, as the new owner would need to do so immediately to connect to their WiFi - but I suspect you're overlooking something - like the suggestion above to change the TV input to a different HDMI port?

Or are you saying you can see it on the TV but it doesn't respond to the remote?
 Amazon Fire Stick - Manatee
>> Stupid question, but you are actually telling the tv to swap to the input the
>> stick is plugged into, yes?

I didn't see an answer to this question.

Also try a different HDMI port.
>> Plugged in, new batteries, just no response on the TV screen.
>>

What do you mean "new batteries"? They don't have batteries. It has a separate plug in power supply. If it isn't plugged in to that as well as the TV, it won't do anything.
 Amazon Fire Stick - Bromptonaut
>> What do you mean "new batteries"? They don't have batteries. It has a separate plug
>> in power supply. If it isn't plugged in to that as well as the TV,
>> it won't do anything.

Batteries in the remote?
>> What do you mean "new batteries"? They don't have batteries.

The remote control has 2 AAA batteries.

But for some of the stuff, like typing in search criteria, Kodi repositories, etc, I prefer using the Firestick phone App as you have a proper QWERTY keyboard.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Jan 21 at 13:02
>> I prefer using the Firestick phone App as you have a proper QWERTY keyboard.

If you're still having difficulties then I would suggest that Dave's approach is a good way of ruling out problems with the remote control.
 Amazon Fire Stick - Zero

>> What do you mean "new batteries"? They don't have batteries. It has a separate plug
>> in power supply. If it isn't plugged in to that as well as the TV,
>> it won't do anything.

Yeah but, if its powered itself off, the only way you can reawaken it is with the remote.
>> Yeah but, if its powered itself off, the only way you can reawaken it is with the remote.

Nope. If it's powered itself off, if you unplug and plug back in the power it will reawaken itself without the need of the remote.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Jan 21 at 14:15
 Amazon Fire Stick - Ambo
All connections correct but no joy. The stick is one of the first sold and maybe dead. I will junk it rather than give it away, but to come back to my initial query, is de-registration enough to block its use by others?
If you were to junk it by way of a decent thwack with a hammer, that might help block its use by others.
I think the "decent thwack" is the way to go.

Though how much effort you put in to destruction does rather depend on what you're worried people might find out against the chances of them bothering to look.
 Amazon Fire Stick - sooty123
I don't think there's anyone rummaging around in bins for broken fire sticks :) but if it's a concern I'd just bash it with a hammer and that'd be fine.
>> All connections correct but no joy.All connections correct but no joy.

Have you tried another USB to Micro USB connecting lead, and also another USB mains adapter, which must be 1amp minimum output?

Also, have you tried the stick in another TV?
 Amazon Fire Stick - smokie
It's configured to your wireless and the password isn't visible in the config IIRC so someone else could only use it within range of your WiFi.

Maybe twist off the connecting end with a pair of pliers though.
 Amazon Fire Stick - Zero
>> >> Yeah but, if its powered itself off, the only way you can reawaken it
>> is with the remote.
>>
>> Nope. If it's powered itself off, if you unplug and plug back in the power
>> it will reawaken itself without the need of the remote.

Nope, some wont.
>> Nope, some wont.

I can only go on the experience of the two I own, and several I have set up for family and friends. All have wakened up once the power has been connected.
Same with the three I've owned. All wake up after a power reset.

Maybe they don't once they've become, as the Dutch ought to say, upgefucht.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 26 Jan 21 at 12:41
 Amazon Fire Stick - Zero
I have one, it doesn't so in my experience 100% of them dont.
But does it work, or is it broken?

Instructions for people who have lost their remote controls and need to synchronise a new one is to first unplug the firestick for 1 minute, then plug back in again to wake it up.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 26 Jan 21 at 14:02
 Amazon Fire Stick - Zero
If you remove the power from it for one minute, it won't wake up till you press the power button on the remote. And it then works fine, so It aint broke.
You're not swearing enough. Inanimate technology always works better if you swear at it. As any fule kno.
>> You're not swearing enough. Inanimate technology always works better if you swear at it. As
>> any fule kno.

I think the stage after that in the problem solving decision tree is percussive maintenance.
>> >> You're not swearing enough. Inanimate technology always works better if you swear at it.
>> As
>> >> any fule kno.
>>
>> I think the stage after that in the problem solving decision tree is percussive maintenance.
>>

Don't you start with the drop test?
 Amazon Fire Stick - Zero
>> You're not swearing enough. Inanimate technology always works better if you swear at it. As
>> any fule kno.

Its a problem solving prerequisite, abusive threats.
Ah, so you ended up with the unique one that behaves completely differently to all other Firesticks.

Rumour has it, that whoever bought it will get a free lifetime subscription to Amazon Prime. A bit like Willy Wonkers golden ticket.

Congrats you lucky devil. Don't get pressing the wrong button in the lift now, will you ;)
Latest Forum Posts