Non-motoring > Museum "treat" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 27

Museum "treat" - Crankcase
The Science Museum have created a "never been seen before" website. Click and you get a random digitized object nobody has (allegedly) viewed before.

I got a 200BC terracotta head, if you see what I mean. Lucky me.

If you want a go and get a blue splodge, just click it to get to the actual "treat".

thesciencemuseum.github.io/never-been-seen/index.html
 Museum "treat" - PeterS
I got a hot water bottle cover from 1920 ~ 1950

collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co121874/hot-water-bottle-cover-hot-water-bottle
 Museum "treat" - sooty123
collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co221598/railway-uniform-overcoat-british-transport-police-overcoat

A British transport police overcoat for me
 Museum "treat" - CGNorwich
A urethral lead sound with tapered proximal end from 1880 for me.

Just what I've alwasy wanted!
 Museum "treat" - Haywain
I got this - but I can only guess at what it could be used for ....

Fire-piston (length 3 ins); cylinder of turned horn, slightly carved at tip; piston-head of same, slightly carved; piston of wood.
Someone might find this of interest too. I found it in the National LIbrary of Scotland. Its a collection of historic maps of the UK (not just Scotland) and it enables you to compare past maps back to the 1840s with a current map.

Spent a few hours wandering around it.

maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/
Excellent, thanks for that one.

In return, if you've not seen it, the Smithsonian have created an open access site, with "millions" of items to view or download.

www.si.edu/openaccess

Museum "treat" - Clk Sec
A brass plunger for a hypodermic syringe circa 1901 - 1940, when I really wanted a hot water bottle cover!
>> A brass plunger for a hypodermic syringe circa 1901 - 1940, when I really wanted
>> a hot water bottle cover.

Well, maybe next year, eh?
 Museum "treat" - smokie
... if you're a good boy LOL

I got Page 2 from snapshot photograph album no. 14; members of the Russian Imperial Royal Family dated July 1914 to December 1915. Comprises four black and white photographs mounted through pre-cut apertures.
Thanks for that. Good for quite a few hours I think
 Museum "treat" - Zero
Yes been using the NLS map site for a while, its good for finding old stuff on new maps or Google earth, the old railway line ramblers use it all the time
 Museum "treat" - smokie
Hmmm that's interesting site. Shame it doesn't have satellite view for the 1852 map, I'd be quite interested to see Wokingham from the sky... :-)
 Museum "treat" - No FM2R
Bound volume entitled: "Water-Supply in Gaza and Wadi El Ghuzze" 1917

Hmmm.....

Sadly I can't find a copy of it online or I would have had at least a brief look. Surprising amount of other books around that time on a similar theme with a military perspective though.
 Museum "treat" - henry k
I got a scull saw.

Plus related objects - An amputation saw and a myoma screw ( looks like a simple corkscrew
for a wine bottle. 0000ch! )
 Museum "treat" - Robin O'Reliant
A case for a Caustic Applicator (Incomplete), probably English 1870 / 1910.

Just what I've always wanted.
 Museum "treat" - Haywain
Having spent last year clearing out the garage and shed contents of my late father and my late uncle, I reckon I could come up with a similar succession of fascinating objects. I have, on the floor to my right, a piece of shaped, thick leather about 14" x 5" with a couple of buckles; the internet informs me that it is a WW2 despatch rider's gaiter.

Does anyone know a one-legged despatch rider who might be able to find a use for it?
 Museum "treat" - Zero
Green glass alembic, domed body, narrow tubular neck, tubular outlet, projecting spout, Western European, 1801-1900
 Museum "treat" - helicopter
Early X Ray tube 1900 - 1920.
 Museum "treat" - Zero
>> Green glass alembic, domed body, narrow tubular neck, tubular outlet, projecting spout, Western European, 1801-1900

Second try

collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co102922/white-stone-zoomorphic-amulet-tapering-away-into-a-amulet

Ooooo Thats much better than a spout.
Nice. If you have Spotify, try this search:

label:"Folkways"

Then choose albums, and you'll find a million recordings of things like African Pygmies doing hunting songs recorded in 1953. Go nicely with that.

Yes, I do use that search a lot.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 20 Jan 21 at 19:24
 Museum "treat" - hawkeye
Oh dear. I'd like to join in but I'm invited to download a 'redirect.php'. No idea what to do with it or even what it is. Anyone able to help please?
Try copy and paste the address into your browser, rather than click it in the thread here?
 Museum "treat" - hawkeye
Thank you CC. I get a few blocks that might represent pixels and little else. I'll leave it for the mo.
If it's the blue splodge you get at first, you just click it again to reveal your present.
 Museum "treat" - hawkeye
One reboot later and I'm in!

Oh joy; I feasted my eyes on "Brown peat from Ireland compressed into a cylindrical shape by hydraulic machinery, presented by J.R. Wigham"

For peat's sake!

And this; "VHS video in black box, of the film 'HIV, Travel and the Law', describing US law which restricts the travel and immigration of HIV-positive people to the United States, and its implications for future scientific cooperation, 7.5 minutes duration, made for the Harvard Aids Institute, USA, Autumn (Fall) 1990"

I feel I'm being sucked into the rabbit hole ...
Last edited by: hawkeye on Thu 21 Jan 21 at 10:49
 Museum "treat" - Zero
You are certainly dragging the bottom of the hole for detritus for sure.
 Museum "treat" - Bromptonaut
>> One reboot later and I'm in!
>>
>> Oh joy; I feasted my eyes on "Brown peat from Ireland compressed into a cylindrical
>> shape by hydraulic machinery, presented by J.R. Wigham"

I remember seeing similar peats, and a machine for harvesting them, on the Isle of Lewis about 30 years ago. Presumably not a success as they seem, in so far as peat is still gathered, to have reverted to hand cutting.

The Irish were using it to generate electricity at one time.

The smell is utterly evocative of the history of the places it's burned.

The then Public Trustee around 91/2, who was of Irish heritage, used to burn it in the fireplace in his office.
Latest Forum Posts