Motoring Discussion > Catesby Tunnel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 15

Catesby Tunnel - Zero
catesbytunnel.com/thetunnel/
 Catesby Tunnel - R.P.
What a superb project.
 Catesby Tunnel - Fullchat
Interesting. A recycled tunnel.

Ive been looking at quite a bit of stuff on you tube recently around exploration of disused railway lines particularly by Martin Zero.

I started by looking at stuff relating to the old Scarborough to Whitby and further north along the coast having spent some time up there this summer.

And that took me nearer to home and the Burdale Tunnel.

Then I found some CGI stuff which was geographically extremely accurate. Impressive stuff.

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wetwang++to+Malton.

I find the engineering of the time fascinating only to be destroyed.
 Catesby Tunnel - Bromptonaut
I remember trying to walk through what I think was Catesby tunnel, certainly an ex GCR tunnel close to the then Badby Youth Hostel c1983. There were of course various obstructions and hazards including drainage holes. Not a sensible venture at all. Several of the girls opted to go over the top on a footpath. The males, pretty much all of them under 25 pressed on.

One of our number was an older bloke, Mike 40+, who wasn't quite the full shilling. Like Cyril Heslop in Porridge he was always a bit behind the flow. Lived with his Mum and Dad and swept the floors at a factory.

About half way through each of the rest of us perceived an oddity on the floor and broke step to avoid it, Mike went straight down. The hole wasn't that deep and his worst injury was that he'd bitten through his lip.

Managed to cart him out and somebody took him to hospital in Northampton where he was stitched up.

It was a bit embarrassing dropping him back at his Mum's and explaining why he was a bit of a mess.
 Catesby Tunnel - Zero

>> I started by looking at stuff relating to the old Scarborough to Whitby and further
>> north along the coast having spent some time up there this summer.

Check out Paul and Rebecca Whitewick, they have filmed this line.
 Catesby Tunnel - tyrednemotional
Fondly remembered from my childhood, when (my father being a railwayman) it was used for holidays at such places a Robin Hoods Bay and Staithes.

It makes a cracking walk nowadays, particularly the views from Ravenscar heading North to Robin Hoods Bay.

If you cycle, then the length from Scarborough to Whitby and back is possible in a good day, though short sections are slightly more daunting on a bike than walking. We last did the round bike trip Scarborough to Robin Hoods Bay in August (out by the old railway but returning via an inland route to push the miles up a bit).
 Catesby Tunnel - Zero
>> Fondly remembered from my childhood, when (my father being a railwayman) it was used for
>> holidays at such places a Robin Hoods Bay and Staithes.
>>
>> It makes a cracking walk nowadays, particularly the views from Ravenscar heading North to Robin
>> Hoods Bay.

Yes I have done sections of it, including the chain home radar station site.
We had a lovely week in Robins Hood Bay beginning of March. Walked on the cliff tops to Ravenscar and returned on the Railway. Likewise to Whitby. In my younger Army Cadet days stayed at Burniston Barracks in Scarborough then hiked up to Bent Rigg just outside Ravenscar several times. Lovely walks and the cinder track bed is maintained.
Yes I did see their films about this line Z. Very good :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 3 Jan 21 at 15:47
 Catesby Tunnel - Duncan
>> Interesting. A recycled tunnel.
>>
>> Ive been looking at quite a bit of stuff on you tube recently around exploration
>> of disused railway lines particularly by Martin Zero.

I can't stand his commentary.

I prefer these two, although they are not perfect. Edit - just noticed others mentioning these two.

www.youtube.com/user/pwhitewick1

Not far from where I grew up, the other way round - Google Cavalry Tunnel, or 40 Acre Tunnel - a tunnel under the Feltham Marshalling yards, it carries the River Crane and a parallel relief tunnel, which we use to walk through in the dark when we were kids. It's now being changed back to a railway depot, for new trains, IIRC.

www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2020/05/13/south-western-railways-new-rail-depot-at-feltham/

Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 3 Jan 21 at 16:05
 Catesby Tunnel - Zero

>> Not far from where I grew up, the other way round - Google Cavalry Tunnel,
>> or 40 Acre Tunnel - a tunnel under the Feltham Marshalling yards, it carries the
>> River Crane and a parallel relief tunnel, which we use to walk through in the
>> dark when we were kids. It's now being changed back to a railway depot, for
>> new trains, IIRC.
>>
>> www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2020/05/13/south-western-railways-new-rail-depot-at-feltham/

Ah the tunnel that collapsed shutting the line. It was discovered that hidden water scour had undermined all the foundations.

Very history rich river the crane, interesting to visit the old shot towers alongside one section
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 3 Jan 21 at 16:29
 Catesby Tunnel - Duncan
>> Very history rich river the crane, interesting to visit the old shot towers alongside one
>> section

They do conducted tours of the tower on Saturdays(?) Probably all stopped because of YKW.
 Catesby Tunnel - Duncan
Not old railway tunnels, but a series of youtube videos about cruising the canals on a narrow boat.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC6SNxiLzSlh8e0yjndE9o_A

A demonstration of how narration should be.
 Catesby Tunnel - James T
I watched this the other day. Great facility.

www.my5.tv/walking-britain-s-lost-railways/season-3/episode-4
 Catesby Tunnel - Duncan
Too late for the edit.

I should have that this bloke's not too bad

www.youtube.com/user/MrKnowwun/videos?app=desktop
 Catesby Tunnel - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I should have that this bloke's not too bad
>>

...you are, I hope, restricting your opinion to cover only the commentary/narration.....
Latest Forum Posts