Non-motoring > Help with elderly relative? Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 17

Help with elderly relative? - Lemma
My dear old mum, now 95, started to go downhill some years ago and we recognised things weren’t quite right. There was a family meeting with her GP, a man about my age. He said with great sincerity, learn from my experience and get an LPA in place now! The best advice for a long time. Obviously no help in the OP’s case, but if an issue for you and yours then JFDI now, do not delay.

There was a realisation that driving was not a good idea when mum went out in the car with her best friend, who she had known since childhood and had been bridesmaids for each other half a century plus ago. The car came back k with scrapes and marks down the side, neither had any recollection of any problem. The car then broke down apparently and it took forever to fix it, by which time we had all moved on and no driving was past the emotional stage and accepted.

Now her bungalow is visited by carers three times a day, with family whenever. The whole place is wired with CCTV, several of us can click in and check on her. Interestingly things we might have put down to her - open doors etc - have turned out to be carers etc, not quite the batty old dear after all!

There is a slow downhill trend and issues continue to arise. Right now she has lost track of time and will happily watch tv, at full volume being deafish, all night. At 7am the other morning I saw her on the cctv watching Heartbeat having been up all night. We are currently chewing on how we encourage her to get to bed at a sensible time and maintain a reasonable daily cycle with consequences for meals, bodily functions etc.

Whatever, the great thing is she is happy, and at 95 that is important to those of us who worry about her.
 Messages Author Date
 Help with elderly relative? new No FM2R 4 Nov 20 22:29
 Help with elderly relative? new Duncan 4 Nov 20 22:34
 Help with elderly relative? new No FM2R 4 Nov 20 22:54
 Help with elderly relative? new Zero 4 Nov 20 22:38
 Help with elderly relative? new No FM2R 4 Nov 20 22:53
 Help with elderly relative? new tyrednemotional 4 Nov 20 22:39
 Help with elderly relative? new Duncan 4 Nov 20 22:42
 Help with elderly relative? new tyrednemotional 4 Nov 20 22:45
 Help with elderly relative? new No FM2R 4 Nov 20 22:56
 Help with elderly relative? new Fullchat 4 Nov 20 23:06
 Help with elderly relative? new Crankcase 4 Nov 20 23:47