Computer Related > Best phone copy app. or other suggestions Computing Issues
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 16

Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - hawkeye
It's way past time to retire my Nokia 5; there's not enough storage. I've bought a Samsung S9 and I want to be able to copy the apps etc. onto the new phone so I get the same start screen and I know where everything is. Excuse me for mentioning Windows Mobile but changing phones was a doddle a few years ago. Anyone able to help me out with a recommendation or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Edit; the phone apparently backs up to Google; will a restore do the trick?
Last edited by: hawkeye on Sat 12 Sep 20 at 08:03
 Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - smokie
If both phones are using the same Google account then when you set up the phone it will usually grab (nearly) all of your apps and data during the setup phase. I have had it miss a few but I suspect these might have been ones which were no longer valid for one reason or another.

I have used programs which you can explicitly backup specific programs and data but for me they haven't been 100% reliable (as some app authors can prevent it copying data - e.g.Candy Crush).

I'm not sure you can copy the start screen but you will probably find you have more screen space available so you can improve your start screen anyway, It's not that difficult or time-consuming.

One thing to watch out for is that your contacts have all come across as in my experience, unless you were careful, it used to seem fairly random whether they were stored on your SIM card or in your phone. I can't remember how (so come back if you need help) but there was a way to move them all from one to the other. That alone is a good reason to delay ditching the old SIM and phone too quickly.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 12 Sep 20 at 09:11
Thanks for the quick reply. I may have been a bit premature asking for help. The phone seems to be as new and came in its retail box with bits and pieces. In there was advice to use Samsung Smart Switch. It seems to be doing its stuff with the apps as I type. Time will tell ...

All my contacts and calendar are on Outlook so I'm pretty sure they will be around.

Amazingly, all the charging cables and the 2 wireless chargers that I have kept from my obsolete Lumias seem to work. Never throw anything out; hoarding has paid off in this case!

Ta again.
 Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - smokie
Good. You may find that chargers and cables work considerably faster than your older stuff, due to new standards.

I would be interested if your Home screen ends up looking like your old one. That'd be quite cool.
Well I used the Samsung app but declined to use all the other Samsung stuff. Consequently I've had to manually copy my own home screen. The apps are there; my app login details are there but my 40 saved WiFi networks are missing, which is annoying. So, not cool and pretty underwhelming. The phone itself seems OK and is comparatively blindingly fast.
 Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - Zero
The idea of copying a wallpaper, home screen and look set up, across quite a few versions of Android from the sound of it, was pretty much a non starter.
I wouldn't know; I'm just a dim user :)

Microsoft seemed to manage it with Windows Mobile.

Ooops.! There I go again :x
 Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - Falkirk Bairn
My Iphone 6S was 5 years old but I thought I'd buy a new one before it goes obsolete (i.e. cannot go above IoS 14.

New I-phone SE was £384 after shopping around. Sold 6S for £82 so a net £302.

Transfer of all data from 6S to SE took 10 mins - everything came across apart from WhatsApp and the Blutooth connection to my Honda - that required getting the Honda User manual out and took longer than the data transfer.
 Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - VxFan
>> everything came across apart from WhatsApp.....

I upgraded my original SE to the SE2 earlier this year. No probs with WhatsApp at all. All previous messages, photos, etc mirrored what was on the old phone.

Maybe there's something in the settings somewhere that prevented yours doing the same?
 Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - MD
And your opinion of the mk2 SE? I have the original and am very pleased I read somewhere that the battery life is not very good.
I am a light user but I got rid of the 6S for 1) no upgrades after IOS14 2) Battery was failing

SE2 doing everything I want - I get 2 days out of battery rather than 10 hours on 6S

Pleased with it. I was going to order another but swmbo declined - she moans about the screen & the camera BUT it fits in the pockets of handbags - SE2 is same size as 6S, 7 8 etc. and buying more handbags was not on the agenda.

I did not want to pay 2 to 3 times the cost of SE2 for the bells & whistles my sons pay for - as a family we stretch from 1 x SE1 through to 12.

SE2 does everything I want and wireless charging is a great addition IMHO.

>> And your opinion of the mk2 SE? I have the original and am very pleased
>> I read somewhere that the battery life is not very good.

Very happy with it. Battery life is far superior to what my SE1 was like. I was also struggling to read text on the screen of the SE1. Going up slightly in screen size to the SE2 has helped.

Even with a new battery in my old SE1, it was drained down to below 20% by the end of the evening. I was having to give it a top up charge most of the time to get it through the day.

My SE2 is still above 40% most of the time by the end of the evening with similar use to my old SE1. However I updated to iOS14.2 last night and word is that can have an effect on battery life.

I bought a cheap wireless charger from Home Bargains for £3.99 (removes wear and tear on the charging socket). Similar can be found on E-bay. You will need a 2amp USB charger for it though. I used my old Ipad charger, but you can get one from Poundland for £2, and comes highly recommended by Big Clive on YouTube, who has done a full breakdown and safety test on it.

The only negative thing I have found with it is if I mute the speaker and only have it on vibrate, I don't feel it vibrating in my pocket, unlike my old SE1. This is something to do with the Haptics vibration feedback device inside the SE2. It seems a lot weaker than the old mechanical device the SE1 has in it.

Oh, and buy a grippy case for it, as I've found the ergonomic deign of the SE2 to be a bit slippery in the hand.

Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - MD
Thanks for both reviews. Very useful..
 Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - Duncan
>> My Iphone 6S was 5 years old but I thought I'd buy a new one
>> before it goes obsolete (i.e. cannot go above IoS 14.
>>
>> New I-phone SE was £384 after shopping around. Sold 6S for £82 so a net
>> £302.

I bought a new 6S as soon as the 7 came out, so mine is of similar vintage. I am toying with the idea of buying a new iPhone, but which one? Or should I keep my old phone? The battery health - maximum capacity has been at 89% for quite some time.

It does everything I want, so, should I keep it?

Hmm...
>> should I keep it?

What does SIRI think? ;)
Your 6S is worth some money today - it can IoS 14

12 months time it will likely drop off the upgrade list and the value will fall.
I got £82 for mine 2 months ago.

As you know you will not really get much of an upgrade in function as they both run IoS 14 - it's quicker, camera is better but it's £300+ more.

Santa might be good to you but on the other hand just treat yourself.
 Best phone copy app. or other suggestions - Duncan
Just about sums it up, I feel, Mr Bairn.
Latest Forum Posts