Non-motoring > central heating radiators Miscellaneous
Thread Author: slowdown avenue Replies: 19

central heating radiators - slowdown avenue
how old are your radiators
 central heating radiators - sooty123
God knows, quite some years old. Only lived here for less than two years, so a guess years /decades, they are all single skin radiators. So from that I would guess they've been in a while .
 central heating radiators - R.P.
Same here - mixture here as well. None seem to have any problems as far as I can see
 central heating radiators - R.P.
Same here - mixture here as well. None seem to have any problems as far as I can see
 central heating radiators - Zero
Most are 25 years old minimum, tho various room and c/h re-configurations have seen some modern replacements.
 central heating radiators - bathtub tom
Mine are over forty-odd years. Here when we moved in '75. Had one replaced when a shonky plumber damaged it whilst fitting t/stat valves (I now overrule SWMBO when she insists on getting professionals in).
Appreciate modern radiators with lower capacity would heat up quicker.
Largest rad's in the main bedroom.
 central heating radiators - Kevin
We have changed rads as we have updated the house so the rad in the small bedroom/office is over 20yrs old but others are less than 2yrs. Many of them are now the vertical type which don't take up as much wallspace.
 central heating radiators - Bromptonaut
We bought house as new build in 1998 so rads were installed by the builders. Bog standard single or double panels depending in room size etc.

Replaced one in lounge because of unsightly rust but took opportunity to get something a tad more efficient.

Had kitchen 'done' last December and fitted 1.8metre combined rad/towel rail in place of original panel radiator.

central heating radiators - Falkirk Bairn
47+ years
 central heating radiators - Duncan
Nobody has asked "why do you ask?"
 central heating radiators - smokie
>> Nobody has asked "why do you ask?"
>>

...and still...
 central heating radiators - Crankcase
We won't get an answer. Because nobody has asked.
 central heating radiators - Robin O'Reliant
House built in 1989, original radiators (But replaced the boiler).
 central heating radiators - Ambo
We, too, moved in in 1975, when we found 7 single rads. I guess they had been installed a long time before but they have not proved troublesome. We added another 6, all doubles.

We decided to replace the gas stove in the main sitting room as it was very old and the Sellotape that had been used to repair a leak in the feed pipe was also showing its age.

central heating radiators - slowdown avenue
iam in the process off doing up daughters property. and have the rads off for redecorating. flushed them out ,loads and loads off sludge. then only to find one air vent valve has seized in. on ebay i,ve found a valve that you can drill straight in to the rad.
is there a way of dating rads. although it seems the last for ever
 central heating radiators - smokie
I'm no expert but I think that sludge is the crap from where the insides of the rads etc has corroded. A power flush would clear it out properly (if you have the time/money) but you need additives afterwards to prevent further build-up. (I suffer sludge and it seems pretty inevitable)
 central heating radiators - sherlock47
>>>I'm no expert but I think that sludge is the crap from where the insides of the rads etc has corroded. A power flush would clear it out properly (if you have the time/money) <<<

and find out all the pinholes (and non soldered joints) which have been self sealing for the last 20 years.
 central heating radiators - Duncan
>> I'm no expert
>>

I used to be an expert, but am prepared to accept that my expertise may be out of date.

Generally speaking....... I would leave well alone.
 central heating radiators - sherlock47
Most boiler manufacturers require a power flush is carried out to qualify for their extended 7/10 year warranties. Must be a nice little earner for plumbers fitting a new boiler!

I think I would prefer a chemical flush or physical radiator removal / clean. For my last new boiler i flushed the sytem using tap water, but lots of it. Boiler has now passed the 7 year point. I self installed, but left final gas connection/ commissioning tests to a Gas safe friend.
 central heating radiators - No FM2R
Aside from their condition or the amount of sludge on them, older radiators are simply less efficient.

20yrs old is about where you should start to think about replacing them if you need more room heat for less boiler activity.
Latest Forum Posts