Motoring Discussion > Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 92

Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - VxFan
The latest series of WD debuts on UK screens tonight at 9pm on Discovery. Some 3 months after it was first broadcast in America.

Sky - 125 (HD), 822 (SD)
Virgin - 250 (HD), 251 (SD)
BT - 322
Amazon Prime Video
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 15 May 19 at 10:24
 Wheeler Dealers - R.P.
Watched a couple more, Capri and the VWRabbit GTi. This Ant is very good, seems far more skilled at metal work than Ed - making stuff fit and work. The Golf/Rabbit turned into a lovely looking Euro style motor.
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
>> This Ant is very good,

Or is he? In the credits at the end there are something like 3 or 4 other mechanics also listed.

Edd used to have a mate called Paul that made the occasional appearance on screen as a third hand when he needed help with a heavy gearbox or exhaust, but it would seem Ant's mates are a lot more shyer.

i.e. Rumours elsewhere on the web are that Ant isn't doing all the work himself.
 Interview with Edd China - No FM2R
It's not very enlightening, and despite the title it's nothing to do with why he would or would not rejoin WD.

But there you are anyway....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-41nLtleX0
 Wheeler Dealers - No FM2R
I'm really enjoying this series, I particularly enjoyed the VW Fastback and the Mazda RX-7.

Not quite so sure I'd have bothered with the Merc 300td Estate though.

Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
Mark, are you going back a few episodes of the older series?
No, don't think so. All on the TV recently.

E.g. www.dailymotion.com/video/x75x90v

5 episodes so far, though this link only seems to show two of them.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 17 Apr 19 at 12:20
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
I was just wondering, as IIRC the Mazda RX-7 episode was the one that had the partial snake skin vinyl wrap and still had Edd on board, and a Google search said it was first aired in 2014.
No, these are new episodes, not "Edd" episodes.
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
Hmm, I'll have to look on Kodi tonight to see if series 17 is out. I can't find any of those cars you mention with Ant at the helm.

www.tvguide.com/tvshows/wheeler-dealers/episodes-season-14/348752/
www.tvguide.com/tvshows/wheeler-dealers/episodes-season-15/348752/
www.tvguide.com/tvshows/wheeler-dealers/episodes-season-16/348752/
Season 17 1 - 6. I know they're out, I'm watching them.

Look at the link I gave above.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 17 Apr 19 at 13:25
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
Cheers. Seems season 17 has been kept quiet.

Unfortunately the link didn't work on my office PC, and I was too lazy to get my iPad out to check ;)
It has a slightly different feel, this season.

The banter between the two, and Mike's involvement, seem to have increased. Also they've added a bit more to the time they spend with the finished vehicle.

I was amused by their stated intention to "De-Gary" the RX-7. You'll need to watch the show to understand.

Also, they are doing more tech work than previously and so they are not showing some of it in the episode.

No doubt it'll settle down again, as new things tend to do.

But it is enjoyable. No point in putting it on some God-like pedestal, but it remains an enjoyable bit of almost entirely motor-oriented entertainment.

The link I posted above seems to have the entire episode, although not great quality, which might be interesting since I am assuming from your reaction that it is not being shown in the UK yet.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 17 Apr 19 at 20:17
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
>> The link I posted above seems to have the entire episode, although not great quality,
>> which might be interesting since I am assuming from your reaction that it is not
>> being shown in the UK yet.

It's usually 3 or 4 months before it's aired in the UK on The Discovery Channel. I did find 6 episodes earlier via Kodi, but only watched the Mazda one so far.

You're right in that something has changed from the previous 3 seasons with Ant. I thought it skipped through some of the technical stuff, the reason Edd gave when he decided to quit. It does seem to becoming more centred around Mike this time too, which is a bad thing. People primarily watch it for the workshop procedures and tech stuff, and not to watch Mike Bloater.

I can't see the Mazda seller being happy at being referred to as a "Gary", but then again it has been previously mentioned that the sellers and buyers of the cars are stooges of Mike's anyway. How true that is, I have no idea.
Over the last year or two, Mike Brewer has been growing on me. He takes a bunch of abuse/criticism, but I think it is all too easy to ignore his input and value in this show.

The Producers would have ditched Mike faster than that if they thought he was harmful to the show, but they didn't. Instead, when it came to it, they let Edd China go. There's a message there. Perhaps on a personal level you think you prefer watching Edd to Ant or Mike, but I think you might be missing the point.

As a show, it is on it's 17th season, that makes Mike Brewer a revenue God. Edd's pilot failed, at least insofar as it wasn't picked up. There is also a message there. The show needs balance from someone like Mike. That's why the oily bits are enjoyable, the contrast and the story.

Mike Brewer is a crabby git, and often hard work, but he is also b***** good at what he does, you just have to look closely or with perception. Television companies are prepared to bet money on what he does.

Anyway, much as these things are constructed, I thought this was rather good....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B11EnhToj1s
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
Don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying.

Trouble is, Wheeler Dealers is now catering for a different market, and a different audience. The UK is small fry now in comparison to what the US wants to watch, which is what Brewer is delivering.

It doesn't matter what car repair show it is though. It tends to stem around the workshop owner, their personal lives and the "me me me" attitude, rather than the mechanics or workshop practices which come second.

There is this mysterious cult who think Edd China is some sort of god. No, I'm not one of them, but they do seem to have it in for Ant and not giving him a chance.

Ant and Edd do have different talents, but are both skilful in their own way.
>>but they do seem to have it in for Ant and not giving him a chance.

A friend of mine has bought many pubs over the years. He buys up spit & saw dust out of the way locals, smartens them up, puts food on the menus, doubles the prices, discourages groups of drinkers, takes out the dartboard and seeks the family crowd.

Without fail every "local" beer drinker is determend to "show them". "We won't be there, then they'll be sorry". Failing to understand that their 10 pints a week represent about £1.00 profit where as one gammon and chips represents £2.00 profit.

They never get it, they always lose.

This is similar.

These few Edd worshippers are determined that they will never watch it again, because that will teach them a lesson. They seem never to understand that they are a minority which is of no interest to the advertisers and therefore the television production companies, which brings no financial value to the show nor even significant viewership.

There is a reason it's one of the few such shows. And, sadly, part of a rapidly dying genre. There will never be more than there are now, only less.

I always thought Edd was ok, no better nor worse than any other competent television presenter. I marginally prefer Ant, but I'll watch either of them. Edd just didn't think that supporting and changing for the revenue desires of his production company was a priority. I hope he likes YouTube.
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
>> I hope he likes YouTube.

There are those that can make quite a living from their broadcasts on YouTube. Unfortunately Edd has yet to hit the sweet spot. IIRC he made a pilot show about restoring a VW Golf with someone, which I actually found quite boring. There was going to be some kind of E-Type Jag rebuild which he had his name attached to very briefly and it died of death once his loyal fans realised he wasn't going to be involved with it after all.

He's also done a few promos and endorsements for oil products, but that's about it if my memory serves me correctly.

Hardly putting bread and butter on the table for his family I would have thought?

I guess he's still got his garage business as well as making inanimate objects into motor vehicles, such as sheds, sofas, toilets, and shopping trolleys? But then again it looks like Cummfy Banana (the business name for his sofas, etc) has been dissolved.

looks like he's resorted to selling merchandise through another of his websites - www.greasejunkie.com/
I'll check but I thought his garage business had come a cropper. It was certainly more complex than simply wound up.

The Golf program was that one in Scandinavia? It was wrist-slashingly bad.

It seems Edd hasn't been a particular loss to Wheeler Dealers or Velocity. Not because there's anything particularly awful about him, there isn't, but because he was easily replaced and doesn't standalone.

Edd has 390,000 YouTube subscribers. Markiplier has 23.4milion. I think Edd has a way to go yet.

On another subject, and yes I am very bored, I measured the period of time from when the mechanic (Edd or Ant) is given the car, until they do the budget conclusion and excluded the little Mike bit in the middle; (I do have a video editor, I'm not sat here dicking around with a media player.

Season 5 (Edd) Average over a random 4 episodes; 25' 2"
Season 16 (Ant) Average over a random 4 episodes; 27' 1"

So Edd's previously incessant banging on about how Velocity were planning to reduce the technical content makes no sense and certainly hasn't occurred.

[sigh, I need to get out more].
 Wheeler Dealers - Fullchat
Some quality self reflection there :))
 Wheeler Dealers - BiggerBadderDave
"There is this mysterious cult who think Edd China is some sort of god. No, I'm not one of them, but they do seem to have it in for Ant and not giving him a chance."

I remember in the late 80s/early 90s when the only reason I watched F1 was because Senna was in it. How fabulous he was. When I wouldn't book a holiday unless there was a guaranteed telly showing F1 on the Sunday. Senna this, Senna that. Then he was killed and I spent a year in mourning, vaguely hoping that Hill would take the championship. But wow, wasn't Schumacher fantastic? And very quickly, the only reason I was watching F1 was because Schumacher was in it.

I enjoyed Edd China in WD, he was fantastic, I learned a lot from what he could do and it's a shame he's gone. But that Ant, he's fabulous isn't he? Really enjoy what he does. Etc. etc. etc.

It's like Blue Peter presenters and Dr Who. There's always someone, waiting to fill the vacuum. And they're usually as good as the last even if they're different.
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
Haven't watched any of the episodes yet, but some folk are saying a car show called "Flipping Bangers" is the new Wheeler Dealers.

It's being shown on Blaze TV. Freeview 63, Sky 187, Freesat 162, Virgin 216, and also online.

www.blaze.tv
I just watched an episode of Flipping Bangers, the one with an MGB GT.

The show is ok, but they're really bodge merchants. I wouldn't want to buy that MG. The car wasn't rubbed down properly, the chrome trim wasn't removed they just tried to spray up to it using aerosol cans, they didn't rub it down properly around the headlights, they put in a sunroof which was a frighteningly bad job, the welding was not done very logically and I doubt the longevity of the car's structure. etc etc,

The buying process was awful, they didn't even look under it and they certainly didn't seem to do a thorough job of bringing it up to scratch.

They tried to introduce false tension and pressure which didn't really work.

But it's a car show, so I guess more is always better, but it's a bit 'meh'.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 2 May 19 at 03:33
p.s. Some rather misguided individuals saying how it is much better than Wheeler Dealers has ever been and this will teach WD a lesson.

If only the production team of Costello, Hodgson and Brooker wasn't actually all ex-WD production. And you can kind of tell.

Though I am sure that Flipping Bangers will shake out it's own personality if it continues for a few seasons.
 Wheeler Dealers - martin aston
I havent see FB yet but seen many WDs. I recall that in the earliest series Ed too used to use aerosol sprays with suspiciously good results. The wonders of post production I suspect.

On the repeats of all these sorts of car shows its amusing to look the cars up on the MOT history site if they have shown the reg on screen. Often they disappear from the records after a year or two.

I've no issue with this, its an entertainment show after all.

However I've also no illusions as to the overall quality of the finished car. Why would they go above and beyond a quick fix-up of the immediate issues? It would add cost with no benefit to the production.

Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
>> I recall that in the earliest series Ed too used to use aerosol sprays with suspiciously good results.

Oh yes, who could forget the 'excellent' job he made of those Capri wings with a rattle can.
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
>> I just watched an episode of Flipping Bangers, the one with an MGB GT.
>> The show is ok, but they're really bodge merchants.

Like I said, I haven't watched it yet. Just seen a few positive comments about it.

From what you're saying, it sounds very similar to a recent "car" show that was broadcast on Dave called Lazy Boys Garage featuring 2 blokes that had brief careers on Fifth Gear, namely Jonny Smith and Tom 'Wookie' Ford. It was absolutely dire!

Out of all the wrecks they bought, IIRC they only made a profit on one of them.

dave.uktv.co.uk/shows/lazy-boy-garage/
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 May 19 at 09:33
 Wheeler Dealers - bathtub tom
I watched a bit of 'lazy boys'. It proved you can't buy a car, unseen, from ebay, ship it from abroad and make a profit. Don't know why on earth anyone thought otherwise.
 Wheeler Dealers - Fenlander
I watch 99% of these shows with horror. Even the much praised Ed will replace a fraction of the stuff I would to support the spiel and prices asked at the end. I watch with disbelief sometimes as the oft newly refurbed alloys are thrown on and the ramps lowered for them to take the usual celebratory test drive... with me thinking why didn't you do the XYZ?

Either they do more than is seen on TV after the camera stops rolling or the cars will be needing another go through next year.
 Wheeler Dealers - VxFan
>> I watch with disbelief sometimes as the oft newly refurbed alloys are thrown
>> on and the ramps lowered for them to take the usual celebratory test drive

I can remember the MGB-GT episode. A nice fully restored set of Rostyle wheels were fitted, and then Edd uses rusty old wheelnuts, that a very long time ago had a chrome finish.
Yep exactly the sort of thing that makes me wince.
 Flipping Bangers - No FM2R
I have just watched another episode; an Alfa 155.

I think we need to have a word with Mrs. Fenlander. If Mr. Fenlander shows any sign of moving towards the TV when Flipping Bangers is on, especially the Alfa episode, he needs to be tackled to the floor and locked in the coal bunker until it is over.

It would not be good for his nerves or his heart. At a minimum it will reduce him to tears and it may well just push him over the edge.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 2 May 19 at 22:21
p.s. specially for Bromp and Previous_Fenlander

Episode 4 of series 1 is a Citroen BX.
 Flipping Bangers - Bromptonaut
>> Episode 4 of series 1 is a Citroen BX.

Away in caravan this weekend but must have a look at that on return.
 Flipping Bangers - VxFan
>> p.s. specially for Bromp and Previous_Fenlander
>>
>> Episode 4 of series 1 is a Citroen BX.

Blaze are now showing a re-run of series one for those not able to access it via other methods.

Still thoroughly enjoying it. For me, it's a British car show, and 2 blokes who both muck in together. By their own admission, they're not on a mission to make the cars they buy pristine again. They just tart them up a bit, give them a new MOT and then sell onto someone else who can either continue restoring the car to it's former glory, or treat the cars as bangernomics motoring. Hence the name, "flipping bangers".
All those who hold the Saab 99 in any level of regard should categorically *not* watch Episode 10 of Flipping Bangers.

It may make you cry. Or throw things at the screen.
>>> especially the Alfa episode, he needs to be tackled to the floor and locked in the coal bunker until it is over.

Flipping bangers... flipping nightmare.

I don't have ch.63 Bravo on Freeview at the moment... might try a retune. However watched the MGB one online and words fail me. Spraying over other gungy spray that's already covering filler repairs to rust where there should be new metal. And the accuracy of their masking off is just ghastly.
 Flipping Bangers - VxFan
>> I have just watched another episode; an Alfa 155.

I've been unable to watch earlier episodes of Flipping Bangers (series 1). Only watched the 3 episodes of the current series 2 so far. Getting used to the presenters now, although the one who has the 'posh' voice irritates me at times.
As per Wheeler Dealers, inconsistences are creeping in. Take the latest episode of the MG Maestro for instance, they get a professional spray job done on the bonnet, but no mention of whether they removed the rust from the panel below the radiator grill and resprayed afterwards.
They also fitted a new clutch, but used the old thrust bearing. It's common practice to replace the bearing, and lets face it, not very expensive. So much for their claim of giving the buyer "peace of mind".
Still, on the whole I am enjoying Flipping Bangers, and it reminds me of early episodes of Wheeler Dealers where the cars bought were bangers on their last legs.
>>but used the old thrust bearing.

No, they didn't. He did say "lubricate the thrust bearing" but if you look at the one he had in his hand as he said that, it is new. If you watch carefully you can see him take it from the polythene wrapper.

>> whether they removed the rust from the panel below the radiator grill

They did not.

Inconsistencies, such as they are, arise from the editing not the actual activities, in my opinion.

This series has to be watched as a couple of blokes, not professionals, tarting up old bangers and then selling them as tarted up bangers.

Once you do that the annoying things become less annoying and more the laughable antics of bodgers which you may well have indulged in yourself [I have]. Usually it's their antics around paintwork which are the most toe-curling. When I think back to my own youth I was pretty competent at any level of mechanicals or electricals, but I probably b*ggered up just about every piece of bodywork I ever touched.

As an entertainment show I must say it is growing on me. I have watched all the episodes and it is improving all the time.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 15 May 19 at 18:18
 Flipping Bangers - VxFan
>> If you watch carefully you can see him take it from the polythene wrapper.

I watched it first time around on my iPad via the Blaze App. I must admit to not seeing it being taken from its wrapper. When I heard him say I'll just slap some grease on it I naturally assumed he was just greasing up the old one. Given the shortcuts and bodges these two guys get up to, it was entirely feasible the same bearing was being reused.

>> Once you do that the annoying things become less annoying and more the laughable
>> antics of bodgers which you may well have indulged in yourself [I have].

Oh yes, I have carried out many a bodge on vehicles over the years. Nothing however that would compromise the safety of them though.

Ta for the link, btw.
You're welcome.

But I warn you, even more full of holes than Season 2.
 Wheeler Dealers - Zero

>> I can remember the MGB-GT episode. A nice fully restored set of Rostyle wheels were
>> fitted, and then Edd uses rusty old wheelnuts, that a very long time ago had
>> a chrome finish.

Its called patina.
 Wheeler Dealers - Fullchat
I too remember the rusty nuts :O You often catch sight of new components that are not even mentioned in the rebuild.
 Wheeler Dealers - Rudedog
That was the difference between WD and Car SoS, Car SoS as far as I could see would do a full rebuild down to new nuts & bolts and all of the hidden bits giving the finished car true value, WD were good but they were there to 'turn a profit' so the small bits like the rusty nuts were over looked and it was mostly only skin-deep.
The difference between Wheeler Dealers and Flipping Bangers is the car they start with.

FB is starting with an utter POS and then bodging it in a non-lasting way. Like I should think a second MOT will be out of the question.

WD is starting with a much better foundation car. They may not be doing everything it needs, but it'll probably keep going for a few years.
Though I must say, negative though I have been about Flipping Bangers, I do like the two presenters. I just don't think they've got their broadcast vehicle right.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 3 May 19 at 03:42
 Wheeler Dealers - bathtub tom
>> I too remember the rusty nuts :O You often catch sight of new components that
>> are not even mentioned in the rebuild.

I tightened the wheel nuts on a pre-war car and mentioned to the owner how slack they were.
"£4.50 each they were" they informed me. "I didn't do them up too tight in case I damaged the chrome".

You can't win them all.
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - No FM2R
Somewhere along the line I somehow missed the episode with the Dodge A100 van. Quite by chance I just caught it today.

A different vehicle and a very interesting episode. Normal editing issues, of course, but apparently this was a 96 man hour effort.

If you see it, watch it. one of the more enjoyable episodes even if the final vehicle doesn't appeal to you, though. other than the suspension, it does to me.

Also makes a bit of a mockery of Edd China's claim that the technical work was going to be reduced.

Episode 5, Dave.
Not meaning it in a mean way, but having watched a lot of episodes of Flipping Bangers it does give one an appreciation of Wheeler Dealers, which is better quality that one might think.
>> having watched a lot of episodes of Flipping Bangers it does give one an appreciation of Wheeler Dealers, which is better quality that one might think.

I'm actually starting to prefer watching Flipping Bangers over Wheeler Dealers.
>> Episode 5, Dave.

Pretty sure I've seen it. Is the one where Ant heavily modified the suspension, changed the gearbox, and had to modify the floorplan to incorporate it? Plus made some chrome bumpers for it by joining two together from a totally different vehicle?
That's the one.
Just been watching the Landcruiser episode.

They seem to be having difficulty cramming all the work they are doing into the program and are starting to get involved in the "and here's one I prepared earlier" approach. They started one section with the gearbox already removed and only ever spoke about the paintwork rather than showing any of that effort.

Now that this season is finished I guess they'll have some time to think about that.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 26 May 19 at 13:18
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - DP
Just watched the E46 M3 episode, where Mike bought a car with the SMG transmission, and had Ant convert it to a conventional manual (adding $3k to the value in the process). It gave a really good insight into how the SMG transmission works, and also the VANOS system, including how to service it. Fascinating episode, at least for me.

I always liked Edd, but Ant clearly knows his stuff too. Good presenter, too.

Pretty much the whole episode was devoted to the techie stuff. Mike bought the car, turned up with a bag of VANOS service parts, and then wheeled a gearbox bellhousing off to an external supplier where we saw it being adapted for manual operation. I recall Edd saying that the techie part of the show was being increasingly sidelined, but there was no evidence of it here. Quite the opposite, in fact.

And I still want an E46 M3! :)
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - BiggerBadderDave
I do like 60/70s American cars but I'm starting to lose interest. It's not my manor. And Brewer's clumsy attempts to drop in a bit of yank slang just irritates me. Ant is an exceptionally good presenter, no doubt about that. I think that's why I still watch it, his wizardry with the mechanics fascinates me but what the actual car is, I'm starting to not give a crap.

It might be a good idea to have a Wheeler Dealer US and a Wheeler Dealer UK. I would like to see our classic and modern classic cars being featured again, sourced in Blighty. I'd like to see Ed doing his stuff on the telly again. That black dude off Car Strippers is a really likeable guy and he looks the part. It would be ideal to pair them two up.
I agree with most of that. I'd rather see Granadas and Jags and the like.

That said, I've just watched the episode with the Volvo Amazon, which is one of the more recent ones. That was quite good.

As for Edd, can't say I'm bothered one way or the other. He was ok in WD before, but he's come across as pretty special and needy since then. Ant is, in my opinion, a better mechanic and a better presenter.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 17 Sep 19 at 23:06
A Cortina or a Maxi. That'd be good.
I've been watching the latest season of Wheeler Dealers. I don't know if my threshold has been lowered through quarantine or if their presentation style is getting more polished, but it's been really enjoyable.

I've just been watching one with a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S bought for £7,500.

Rather made it clear as to why mere mortals shouldn't go within a million miles of an old modern Porsche.

Recently they've also done a Saab 9-3 and an Audi S3. I find it enjoyable, not earth-shattering, if you see what I mean.

I've no idea where you'll find it on UK TV, Discovery I expect.
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - Robin O'Reliant
It's on Quest over here.

I'd enjoy it more if Mike Brewer toned down the cockney geezer bit, it get's on my nerves.
The newer the better, I think. Or certainly the less.
>> It's on Quest over here.

That's the older episodes. The latest ones are on Discovery. Ch 125 on Sky, and wherever on Virgin, etc.
Is Sky reasonably uptodate?
A few weeks behind what's shown in the States I believe.

Next Monday's episode is the 2001 SAAB 9-3. Previously it was the Datsun Roaster, and the Audi S4.

I used to be able to watch the latest episodes through Kodi before they were shown in the UK, but not for at least 6 months now. I must find another repository to try instead.

I've missed some of the recent previous episodes as well through forgetting to set a series link on Sky. Mind you they're repeated often enough on Quest, Discovery Turbo, and possibly other channels, so I'm bound to see them eventually.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 11 Sep 20 at 11:20
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - Manatee
>> A few weeks behind what's shown in the States I believe.
>>
>> Next Monday's episode is the 2001 SAAB 9-3. Previously it was the Datsun Roaster,

The last being the one without air conditioning...
>> watch the latest episodes through Kodi

I've never been a particular fan of Kodi, always seemed like a lot of faff for an unreliable end product.

Nonetheless a week or so ago I gave it a go in search of episodes of 'The Repair Shop'.

It's still a faff, but whereas it used to have an unsatisfactory end product it now mostly seems to have no end product at all. It can be frustrating trying to watch out of country stuff.

If the TV industry wants to defeat pirating then they need to take a leaf out of the music industry's book, and the film industry to an extent, and make their products more readily available internationally.
The latest Wheeler Dealers is a Mazda MX5. Apparently a Mazdaspeed MX5. I've never heard of such a thing but it mostly seems to involve a turbo and different wheels.

Anyway. I mention it in case Manatee is interested enough to seek it out.
Thanks for the thought. I don't think I have any means of watching WD. In our temporary house we have no terrestrial aerial that works, and no subscriptions other than Amazon. We get the main UK channels via the firestick, plus whatever is free on firestick apps.
I could be wrong, but I thought Amazon Prime customers could watch WD for free?

Failing that, install Kodi on the firestick, and you can watch WD on that. Mind you, from recent experience, it can be hit or miss.
I've never quite got Kodi, is it illegal or isn't it?
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - Kevin
> I've never quite got Kodi, is it illegal or isn't it?

Kodi is entirely legal. It is an excellent open source media player application that is highly configurable and customizable (the full version). Ignoring all the other features you basically just point it at a media source/file and it will decode it and play it. It is the user's responsibility to ensure that the content does not infringe copyright or any other applicable laws.
>>I've never quite got Kodi, is it illegal or isn't it?

Go back in time;

Your VCR was always legal. And playing a pirate tape on it did not make the VCR illegal. Playing the pirate tape was illegal though. Selling or otherwise passing that pirated tape to someone else for playing on their VCR was illegal, even though their VCR was perfectly legal.

Still with me?

The argument against Kodi, and similar, is that much as it may be a VCR player it is designed to be perfectly suited to playing pirated material and thus should be illegal itself.

The defence for Kodi is that it can be used to play totally legal and freely available material and thus should not be restricted.

Consequently if one sells a Kodi unit configured to play pirated downloads, then the machine is illegal. IF one does not sell it pre-configured, then it is not.

I think the media owners bring it upon themselves. They make pirating attractive, even inevitable. And their biggest problem is that they have always maximised their revenue by using geographic licensing and release strategies.

Without that geographic approach then things like Prime & Netflix would make the entire problem go away.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 21 Sep 20 at 18:28
I hadn't thought to search for it on Amazon but they are there! At a cost - some are on something called Motor Trend, others on Discovery, which require a subscription. Most can be watched for £2.49 each.
You can watch many episodes on Quest. Online free and legal at dPlay for UK residents. Everything with the exception of the latest season I think.

www.dplay.co.uk/show/wheeler-dealers

Some discussion, particularly watching UK TV in another Country has been moved to Computer related questions.
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=28310

Wheeler Dealers is coming home.

And that bloke “Elvis” is replacing Ant. Although from time to time he will still be popping in.

All the info here

youtu.be/IwWk02fLjog
Watched the last one last night. It was ok. A review of their time in the US with Edd and Ant.

I'll wait to see the UK version, but I expect it'll be not quite as good.
>> Watched the last one last night.

They've just shown the TR7 one here, and the BMW one last week.

I'm wondering if moving WD back to the UK has some kind of hidden reason behind it. e.g. treading on the toes of some of the long established car shows out there, and some of the big boys aren't happy about some Cockney geezer trying to muscle in.
I very much doubt it. That's not really how it works.
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - Duncan
In my case my like or dislike of WD hinges upon whether or not I can stand Mike Brewer. When Ed was there, I could stand him, now I can't.

Not logical, possibly, but that's the way it is.
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - DP
>> In my case my like or dislike of WD hinges upon whether or not I
>> can stand Mike Brewer. When Ed was there, I could stand him, now I can't.
>>
>> Not logical, possibly, but that's the way it is.
>>

I'm with you on that.

WD is one of the few car shows that my wife will watch. She suggested way back in the Ed China days that you could take Mike out of the equation completely, have Ed do the running about for the parts as well as the mechanical bits, and the show would be more enjoyable.

She insisted that Mike added very little value to the show at all, and the chirpy " 'old aaaht yer aaaahnd" " 'av a deal wiv me." Cockney car trader nonsense is grating (and she's London born and raised herself).

I think she's right.
Well, it's back with MB & "Elvis". He's ok, gets better.

I found the first couple a bit awkward and obsessed with getting the phrase "ex F1 mechanic" into every sentence.

But it settled and I increasingly enjoyed it. I liked the selection of vehicles also;

Mk1 Mini 850
TVR Griffith
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
Bedford CA Dormobile
Land Rover Series 1
Porsche 997
Jaguar XJ6
Renault 5GT Turbo
Mitsubishi Evo 7
VW Golf Cab.

One needs to remember it's an entertainment show, not a documentary, but I enjoy it.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 31 Oct 21 at 21:57
Did you see my previous mention that Edd China now has his own You Tube channel?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=28831&m=628035

His old mate, (and background helper) Paul was on the channel the other day, and was allowed to speak too ;) He didn't have a good word to say about the current Wheeler Dealers. When asked what he thought of it.

Interview here. youtu.be/axo4JS-mHiM?t=574
I like Edd's YouTube channel. Kinda relaxing with none of the drama and I want to see how things are done.

I love the Orange and all the Range Rover stuff and the electric ice cream van but skipped all the the modern mini stuff.

It was funny to see Paul speaking. They weren't uber-derogatory about Wheeler Dealer, certainly Edd wasn't. Paul just said 'Oh dear'. Pretty much what I thought.

I'm trying to like the latest Wheeler Dealer but it's not floating my boat at the moment. What was all the wedding stuff? I felt he was stealing their thunder. Just buy one, improve it and sell it on with a little bit of urgency. It worked before.
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - Duncan
>> I'm trying to like the latest Wheeler Dealer but it's not floating my boat at
>> the moment. What was all the wedding stuff? I felt he was stealing their thunder.
>> Just buy one, improve it and sell it on with a little bit of urgency.
>> It worked before.
>>

Bangers and Cash on Yesterday are about to start a new series. They are also (AIUI) going to buy cars, restore them and then sell them again to see if it is possible to make money doing that.

yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/bangers-and-cash/episodes/
"Bangers and Cash on Yesterday are about to start a new series"

Without the hot milf unfortunately, but she's having a go with YouTube. She has a Morris Ital...
And Flipping Bangers is possible one of my favourites. Built-in urgency without the fake drama. One week to buy, sell and double their money. Two very likeable guys despite the ginger sideburns. Sometimes they succeed and quite often they don't.

They don't have the funding or the resources that Edd has, neither does the production company. They're more the underdogs in an ego-free zone and I hope there'll be another new season.

I enjoy the repeats. And repeats of repeats.
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - Pezzer
Yes agree, I have seen another format with these two which I didnt like much I think it was a trading up concept. However this one I am enjoying, I think the choice of cars has helped.
New series of WD started last night on Discovery. Their 20th year of broadcasting the show.

A tribute to the Ford Fiesta, and the recent announcement by Ford ending production.

Mike spend £4000 on a very rusty V reg Fiesta, It looked like a pepper pot. Spent a fortune on repairing it, to then have it stolen just before a car show event he had organised to pay homage to the little car, along with other Fiesta enthusiasts.

www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1822808/wheeler-dealers-stolen-classic-car-ford-fiesta

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 17 Oct 23 at 11:43
I quite like the latest Mechanic, the ex F1 guy Elvis. I was never too keen on Ant Anstead.
>> the ex F1 guy Elvis.

Did he used to be an F1 mechanic? I would have thought they would have mentioned that on WD occasionally :)

>> I was never too keen on Ant Anstead.

Likewise.
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - carmalade
AA is ex Plod . Never saw him get this hands dirty on WD .
 Wheeler Dealers - Volume 2 - Rudedog
He used to do this weird thing with his hands where he handled everything as if it was some priceless work of art.
'I was never too keen on Ant Anstead'

I'm ok with Ant Anstead. I like a good alliteration.

He did annoy me with his puppies. Any diff or other piece of machinery clamped in a vice was always a 'puppy'.

Mind you, Mike and his wiws always irritate me. It seems every car has a wiw on each corner, I just can't work out what a wiw is.
Latest Forum Posts