Motoring Discussion > BMW Connected drive Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 12

BMW Connected drive - Bobby
Can anyone link / explain what functions this offers etc?

Anything I can find wants you to start by putting your car details in and the rest is pretty vague.

I can make out that it offers pre loading of satnav destinations but what else does it do?

I guess my question is, if I bought a current shaped, used X1, would it have this feature and if so, what functions does it do?

Could I defrost and demist my car remotely?
 BMW Connected drive - Zero
>> Can anyone link / explain what functions this offers etc?
>

You can pretend destinations and routes to the sat nav from Google Maps, you can replicate your gmail diary to the car, and it will automatically route you to any addresses it finds, you can check the status of the car (tank level, range, warnings, oil levels etc) You can lock it, unlock it, flash the lights, turn on ventilation (you can time that) but best of all you can find the b***** thing in a huuuuuuge car park, because you can get walking directions (to within 15 yards or so)

Most of that you can do via Alexa as well.

>> I guess my question is, if I bought a current shaped, used X1, would it
>> have this feature and if so, what functions does it do?

It might or might not, depends on the year you get, and if anyone specced some of the features.

>> Could I defrost and demist my car remotely?

Ventilation possibly, but defrost? no not on the X1 you are buying.
So ventilation - is that switching on the car heating and heating the inside up?
Switch on heated seats?

What keywords would you look for in a used advert to know what features it has?

and does it come with subscription type costs?
Here's an example
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811032096983
>> Here's an example
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811032096983
>>

The teleservices and online is probably due to expire, but you simply get the BMW dealer to extend them or you wont buy it, It dont cost much for them.
>> So ventilation - is that switching on the car heating and heating the inside up?

No because that would require the engine to be turned on unattended remotely, which is not legal or be fitted with a pre heater, not a UK option

>> Switch on heated seats?

Nope that would flatten the battery because you cant turn the engine on.

>> What keywords would you look for in a used advert to know what features it
>> has?

no idea

>> and does it come with subscription type costs?

depends on car, but after three years, yes

Dont get hung up on it, its really not a major consideration when choosing your car.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 1 Mar 19 at 23:11
 BMW Connected drive - Lygonos
If you want a toastie car before you get in it best buy a milkfloat like mine...
Good to hear from you doc!

Would be interested in an update on the 2-series phev? How is that six speed box?

Either of you bmw owners advise on what is best bmw uk owners forum is?
>> Would be interested in an update on the 2-series phev? How is that six speed box?

2000 miles - 15-20 miles electric range (which covers the gaffer's commute). The engine/gearbox are seamless when they engage, gearchanges under power are smooth.

Suspect there's a sound synthesiser thru the speakers as the 3-pot sounds like a mildly fruity V6 under wide-open throttle.

Average mpg currently 78.4 after a couple of 100 mile runs needing the ICE more than usual.

As for forum, I only use the ev forum www.speakev.com
>> If you want a toastie car before you get in it best buy a milkfloat
>> like mine...

It has drawbacks . www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-47427311
Looks pretty toastie to me Z.

BMW Connected drive - Crankcase
>> No because that would require the engine to be turned on unattended remotely, which is
>> not legal or be fitted with a pre heater, not a UK option

I'm not a BMW man, more a Volvo person. And interestingly, Volvo UK offer an app, and using that you absolutely CAN start the engine remotely, which will heat the cabin. They also offer a pre-heater, though not in the UK market.

It's probably illegal to use if your car is parked on the street, and possibly a car park, but OK in your own garage or driveway. Volvo do give it to you though.

You can see from this thread that folk have found this all a bit confusing, but do report that you can start the engine remotely in the UK and it does give some limited heating if everything is set up right.

www.xc40forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=201

Incidentally, someone mentions there that remote engine start works this way on an F-pace too.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 2 Mar 19 at 07:22
>> >> No because that would require the engine to be turned on unattended remotely, which
>> is
>> >> not legal or be fitted with a pre heater, not a UK option
>>
>> I'm not a BMW man, more a Volvo person.

bobby had better buy a Volvo or a F-Pace then.

I would have bought an F-Pace, but for the size of the car the boot space is pathetic.
Latest Forum Posts