Motoring Discussion > Car will not be used for 9 months - advice? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Jacks Replies: 7

Car will not be used for 9 months - advice? - Jacks
My son's Astra Mk4 1.6 petrol will not be needed for the next 9 months.
We'd prefer to hold onto the car rather than sell and then have to find something else so what to do?
It's on the drive at the moment (tax until Dec & passed the MOT last week without any problems) ), it could if necessary go in the garage but this would mean leaving my wife's car outside through the winter - something she's not keen on but it could be negotiable!
If I start up the Astra - say once a week - and take it for a run to get it thoroughly warmed up will this be sufficient.
Any other advice?

Many thanks

Jacks
Last edited by: Jacks on Thu 2 Sep 10 at 16:32
 Car will not be used for 9 months - advice? - Runfer D'Hills
I think I'd be inclined to find a reason to use it once a week rather than make it a chore. For example, could one of you decide to take it to work one day a week or maybe it could be used as transport for a regular event like a Granny visit or the weekly shopping run or something ? Rather than having to remember to use it, if it just became a routine thing that it had a normal task to fulfill on a particular day it wouldn't really be any trouble I'd guess. As long as the trip involved the engine getting properly warm I'd think it'll be fine.
 Car will not be used for 9 months - advice? - idle_chatterer
If it's newish and depreciating I'd strongly consider selling it, otherwise find some way to use it once or twice a week such that it gets properly warmed up and charges the battery. Don't forget to wash / wax it too and watch out for bird poo.
 Car will not be used for 9 months - advice? - henry k
I had a similar requirement with my daughters car.
She got it insured on a classic car type insurance with a max mileage of 2k and I used it regularly.
 Car will not be used for 9 months - advice? - -
Agree with the others, use it if poss, cars do not fare well standing without preparation.

Most important make sure the anti freeze is up to a good 50% mix, it may well stand for a week or more in very sub zero temps.
 Car will not be used for 9 months - advice? - Dave
I lay 2 of mine up for the winter. Last year it was for 5 months due to the long winter (due to global warming). They get a mini service with an oil change, tanks full of diesel, and I lift the wipers off the windscreen. I swap the trickle charger between them every few weeks, and apart from surface rust on the discs, I don't have any problems. They are in the barn though, but it was below zero constantly for over three of those months. I reckon it's better just to leave them be than mess about starting and running them, hoping to get them warm - probably does more harm than good.
 Car will not be used for 9 months - advice? - Jacks
Thanks for the advice - I was going to change the oil & filter anyway but I'll check the coolant (It's the Vauxhall "Red" coolant which is supposed to be "lifetime" and doesn't - according to the handbook - require changing).
He's cancelled the insurance - so the DOV insurance on his Mum's policy doesn't apply now.
I don't have my own insurance (I've got a lease/company car) so I could probably insure the Astra in my name with full NCB quite cheaply on a TP only no frills no legal etc <1000 miles pa basis and - as suggested - use it a couple of times a week.

The issue with selling and buying something else is that whilst the car is sound mechanically (sailed through the last 2 MOT's) it does have a nasty scrape on the rear door and wing - bad enough to kill the sale value - it's a V reg- but from our POV not worth spending the £350 I was quoted to respray the 2 panels. the classic case of it's worth much more to us than it's resale value!

J
 Car will not be used for 9 months - advice? - henry k
>>so I could probably insure the Astra in my name with full NCB quite cheaply on a TP only no frills no legal etc <1000 miles pa basis and - as suggested - use it a couple of times a week.
>>
IIRC you may have to own it to insure it unless things have changed.
I was offered the use of an old vehicle from my then boss as a stop gap prior to sourcing a replacement for a write off. It was transferred to my name. I sorted it out MoT etc and after I had finished with I transferred it back to him.

For the period of my daughters absense, She insured it with me as named driverwith www.footmanjames.co.uk/.
IIRC it worked out something like max 100 miles a week for me and the balance of approx 800 miles for her when she came back for a break /holiday

There were some restictions - maybe it was no protected NCB unless you have five years with no claims.
Latest Forum Posts