Non-motoring > New Knee... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 44

New Knee... - MD
...has anyone had one and if so any wisdom that you could impart please?
 New Knee... - Zero
Be prepared for a long tough journey, the key word is mobilise, mobilise, mobilise or regret it for ever.
 New Knee... - Dulwich Estate II
A mate of mine had one done a year back. He's not overly happy. He says he can't kneel on it at all. Apparently this is normal and nobody told him pre-op. I'm not so sure, but simply pass on what I have been told.
 New Knee... - Bromptonaut
Spoke to a client yesterday who had one. She can no longer carry out her previous full time occupation as a cleaner. Restricted to light duties and only managing 16 hours a week.

OTOH it may have cured pain etc.
 New Knee... - Zero
I know a dog trainer with one, she is no worse than she was with her old real knee. On the other hand the old knee would have been useless and getting worse by now.

For sure tho its not the best mechanical replacement going.
 New Knee... - MD
I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t asked, but I did so keep ‘em coming.
 New Knee... - Rudedog
Find out the actual type because there are many..

The older hinge type are not really used anymore, the more modern hybrids can be half (tibial or femoral) or just resurfacing the worn bone ends with or without cement.

Key to most of these is the physio after to keep them moving while you recuperate.
 New Knee... - Dog
Friend of the ole woman's had both knee joints replaced this year!!
Mucho pain wiv the first one - swore blind she wouldn't even think about going through THAT again.

Had the 2nd one by the same surgeon in the summer, last we heard she was doing OK and getting back to going oot and aboot. She's 70 BTW.

Neighb (78) had her knee joint replaced a couple of years ago - she's a tough old bird, farming stock, pasty cruncher, she just got on wivvit and to hell with the pain.
 New Knee... - No FM2R
My Father. In no particular order;

Loads of pain immediately after and for a couple of months. You must exercise and keep exercising throught the pain. Ultimately pa9n will be a thung of the past, as will be kneeling.

Overall my Father says it was the most painful and overall worst experience of his life, but even though he can no longer kneel, the ability to walk without pain means it was worthwhile.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 29 Jan 20 at 10:36
 New Knee... - bathtub tom
Folk I know who've had hip or knee replacement have convinced me it's not worth having it done until it's really bad, but by that time you're heading for a wooden overcoat.
 New Knee... - Lygonos
I would suggest 90% of hip replacement patients are happy or very happy with the outcome, and notice a big improvement to their pain within days of surgery (still takes a couple of months to rehabilitate after probably years of a crappy hip.

Knees are more of a mixed bag.

Surgery for osteoarthritis is to relieve pain, and not to improve joint flexibility. Range of movement will typically be worse, with knees managing perhaps 90º of bend at best after replacement.

Recovery, assuming no complications such as infection or DVT, is gradual and many people take 3-6months until they feel the surgery was worthwhile.

My rule of thumb is the more pain a patient is in, the better an outcome they will get: if you can still walk a mile albeit in pain, don't have the surgery - if you are crawling like a dog after 100 yards then you'll probably have a good result.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 20 Dec 18 at 17:31
>>if you can still walk a mile albeit in pain, don't have the surgery - if you are crawling like a dog after 100 yards then you'll probably have a good result.

Precisely my point.
 New Knee... - Robbie34
I had a total knee replacement on both legs about five years ago. Very painful for a few weeks and you must exercise as soon as you are allowed out of bed.

Two problems with knee replacements: I can't kneel without excruciating pain, and I am unable to ride a bike as my knees don't bend sufficiently.
 New Knee... - Ambo
I had a double knee replacement in 2001. I was not conscious of much bad pain but the invasion must have been massive and I did emerge with acute squeamishness; I can't now witness pain or cruelty (which abound on TV and film, real or created) or even imagine them, without distress. The other bad effect is that is that I cannot kneel. My mobility was greatly improved although it is poorer now. I asked my doctor how long these replacements last and was told that 10 years is a good result...

New Knee... - Dog
My wife's father lived the last years of his life housebound and in pain due to being denied a knee joint replacement by his GP.

His wife was treated for Bells Palsy by the same surgery, eventually dying from a brain tumour at age 45.

And you wonder why I avoid doctors, like the, um, plague.
 New Knee... - MD
I’ve had Bells Palsy. Not pleasant and still carry some effects nine years later.
 New Knee... - MD
Hi Ambo,

Did you have them both done at the same time?

Best,

MD.
 New Knee... - Duncan
How is your Bell's Palsy now?

A friend of mine got it 3/4 years ago and it seems to be taking a long time to diminish/disappear.
 New Knee... - Ambo
Yes. Two decades on my mobility is now quite bad but my knees are only painful if I try to kneel. I suffer more from dizziness and vertigo, also fear of falling. Pain is mostly from neck and shoulders. Also hips but not bad. I have several other maladies, two chronic, and doubt I could survive hip replacements.
 New Knee... - Fursty Ferret
Lady who lives opposite (in her 70s) had both done and now trots up and down the 99 steps + steep hill to and from town every day.
 New Knee... - Dog
A former work colleague of the ole woman's had both kness done, one after the other.

Successful ops but she's now lost her mind. 2 general anaesthetics didn't help IMO.
I've problems with my ankles, knees, hips shoulders and thumbs - osteoarthritis. I may, one day consider having my hips done, but as for the rest, the prognosis ain't good.

There was some woman on the BBC news tonight, happily chatting away to the camera while a surgeon was hammering away with a drill and a tool on her thumb!. Not for me, I'll take the pain for as long as I can.
 New Knee... - MD
Well the metal work is in and I'm at home being waited on by the Wife. As far as I know it went well and I remained fully awake throughout the whole procedure. Grinder, Drills, Hammers and Lord knows what else were employed (I still haven't you tubed the op). It was a very strange sensation and I cant believe just how many folk were in the theatre. I've just had the dressing changed after six days and it all looks tickety boo.
 New Knee... - Falkirk Bairn
You mentioned

Grinder
and
It was a very strange sensation and I cant believe just how many folk were in the theatre

or did I not read it properly?
 New Knee... - MD
I think you did read it correctly or have I missed something?
 New Knee... - Bromptonaut
>> I think you did read it correctly or have I missed something?

Yopu might want to look up Grinder, or rather Grindr, but not on a work machine......
 New Knee... - Runfer D'Hills
“They” wanted to put pins and plates in my wrist/arm/hand after my low flying bicycle incident a few weeks ago. Wouldn’t let them.
Healed/healing fine without.
Did 800m front crawl in the pool last night. Ok, I had to stop for a bit of a cry every 5 lengths or so, but y’know…
;-)
>>"They" wanted to put pins and plates in my wrist/arm/hand after my low flying bicycle >>incident a few weeks ago. Wouldn't let them.

They wanted to do that to me when I broke my ankle. They put me in a ward with four other guys who were all there because they'd had plates fitted and now had bone infections. Iasked what was the risk of an infection - 10% and another 10% when they took the plate out. I opted for six weeks in plaster and physio - it's working fine.
I’ve had my plaster off for two weeks now. Still don’t have full mobility back but I’m getting there. Like I said, swimming most nights, doing stretching exercises and squeezing my little egg shaped balls ( stop it )
“They” want me to start physio next week but I’m doing fine on my own to be honest and anyway, really CBA.
;-)
>>"They" want me to start physio next week but I'm doing fine on my own to be honest and >>anyway, really CBA.

I had to wait a couple of weeks after my plaster came off for physio. Found out I was doing most of the right things, but taught me some more which helped. Like training dogs, they don't do it for you, but teach you what you should be doing.
 New Knee... - Dog
You are very brave effendi, but at least you dodged a general anaesthetic, and the side effects of anaesthesia.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery while you're being waited on by 'er indoors.
 New Knee... - legacylad
Indeed....speedy recovery.

I know Runfer likes swimming....I’m in a crappy ( to me) place called Protaras, fortunately away from the main strip, but I’ve found a superb cove for swimming only a 10 min walk from my accommodation. Just a few of us every AM, 8-09:30 in crystal clear waters, on and off throughout the day until sunset, yet only half a kilometre from the regiments of sun umbrellas and loungers on Fig Tree Bay.
If I may, I’d like to offer a bit of advice to anyone recovering from multiple arm fractures. In so far as I strongly recommend they avoid using, or even attempting to use any petrol powered garden implements. It will almost certainly not end well.

As I can testify from very recent personal experience. Yesterday, I decided to use my petrol strimmer. Lifting it at all with my left hand was mildly challenging, but I decided to attempt to start it anyway. Grasping it as best I could in my injured left hand, I tugged on the rope starter thing with my right hand. This caused a fairly unreasonable amount of pain to shoot from my fingers all the way to the top of my head leading to me letting go of the machine. However, it had caught first time on full choke.

On its way to the ground it spun in mid air and strimmed my legs and ankles on both sides causing me to attempt to leap above it’s apparent trajectory. My right foot must have caught it during this manoeuvre, sending it flying into a flower bed my wife has been cultivating with some erstwhile really quite pretty bedding plants this year.

Being still on choke and spinning at high revolutions, it then managed to massacre a goodly number of those and create a small crop circle in the flowerbed.

It was at this point that my wife got involved, seemingly, and I’d have to say disappointingly, far more exercised by the damage to her plants than the obvious temporary agonies I was then enduring.
All in all, it proved to have been an error of judgment on my part at a number of levels.

New Knee... - Manatee
The silver lining is that the kind of vibration you get from those things probably isn't good for recently traumatised soft tissue or healing bones.

Have you still got your toes?
Yes, everything is still attached thanks.
 New Knee... - Zero
So its the chain saw and the tree branches next is it.

Do you still have private medical cover BTW?
 New Knee... - MD
OUCH! You have my greatest sympathy. I too am deemed a bit impatient being stuck at home. She's still living:-)
I think the most disappointing element of it all was the venom with which my wife reacted to what had been from my side an attempt to contribute to the management of our garden under reduced circumstances.
I guess I would have expected more of a “never mind darling, at least you tried, but perhaps it’s a bit ambitious just yet. Here, sit down and drink this tea I’ve prepared” etc…

However, the reality was more along the lines of unnecessarily prolonged repetition of “what kind of (four letter word) wit are you?”

My lower legs and ankles still look as if I’ve been indulging in some strange form of self flaggelation and my arm has most definitely regressed. I would I think, have reasonably expected more spousal sympathy don’t you think?
 New Knee... - Duncan
>> My lower legs and ankles still look as if I’ve been indulging in some strange
>> form of self flaggelation and my arm has most definitely regressed. I would I think,
>> have reasonably expected more spousal sympathy don’t you think?

I am reminded of the man raising/lowering bricks to/from a scaffold using a barrel, a length of rope and a pulley, plus a lack of forward planning.

www.physics.smu.edu/scalise/www/misc/bricks.html

What's happening to your old Merc while you are injured? Do you want me to keep an eye on it?
I can drive it again now thanks, but it was good of you to ask.
 New Knee... - tyrednemotional
...when does the video hit Youtube, I could do with cheering up...
 New Knee... - tyrednemotional

>> I am reminded of the man raising/lowering bricks to/from a scaffold using a barrel, a
>> length of rope and a pulley, plus a lack of forward planning.
>>
>> www.physics.smu.edu/scalise/www/misc/bricks.html
>>

...and for those of you who like musicals....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=np8iLIt7G0A
 New Knee... - Dog
If it had been a cordless rechargeable strimmer, ewe would still be on good terms with the missus.

All my garden machinery is cordless, strimmer, garden vac, hedge trimmer, and mower.

I wood knot go back to those noisy smelly oily things again.
I bought myself a parachute jump for my fortieth and broke my ankle. SWMBO had arranged a party and, fortunately, I was out of hospital. Three decades later she still hasn't forgiven me.
 New Knee... - Zero
I broke my hip on my Wifes birthday in Cuba.

Despite the fact I took her (Me on crutches) to the Copa Cabana show at the famous Hotel Nacional de Cuba that night (we went in a Cadillac coup de Ville) I ruined her entire birthday.

She says every year.
Latest Forum Posts