Motoring Discussion > Remote Petrol Stations Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 29

Remote Petrol Stations - No FM2R
A pleasant read from the BBC

www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/fuelling_communities
 Remote Petrol Stations - R.P.
Becoming fewer and further between. The village I lived in (2 villages ago) had a thriving Indie. All the local tradesmen congregated there in the morning and was a real community hub. He sold it on and the place has now deteriorated in the community sense.
 Remote Petrol Stations - henry k
A small petrol station in West London ( Sheen).
I suspect there are not many small ones remain like this one.
tinyurl.com/ycl2tbgx
 Remote Petrol Stations - hawkeye
This little gem on the right saved saved us a walk when Mrs H and I were touring in Scotland on the motorbike in 2015. I hope it's still there.

tinyurl.com/yc2ld263
 Remote Petrol Stations - MD
Hi Mark. I focused on that this morning during my usual early read. What a pleasant piece. I may well seek out the Lake Vyrny one. It was just a pleasure to read something of substance to takes one's mind off of the appalling Brexit Balls up.
 Remote Petrol Stations - Bobby
Hawkeys, was there last weekend - it is still there!
 Remote Petrol Stations - Old Navy
It amazes me that some people do not seem to plan journeys to even a basic level in remote areas they do not know. How difficult is it to leave point A full with fuel and aim to fill up at point B having checked that fuel will be availiable allowing for a contingency reserve. It must be a bit like running an electric car without a clue where recharging is availiable.
 Remote Petrol Stations - sooty123
Some people are just like that, scatter brains. Planning doesn't come naturally to them, they could more likely jump to the moon than sit down and plan anything.
 Remote Petrol Stations - CGNorwich
The main users of local petrol stations are not ditzy travellers who lack your vastly superior planning skills and run out of fuel but locals and holidaymakers who do dot want to make a 50 mile plus round trip to fill up.
It is down to my maritime background, if you don't take it or enough of it (loo rolls?) with you you do without it. It is always a good plan to have enough fuel to complete the task and also to get home.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 14 Dec 18 at 12:30
I don't plan refuelling in the UK.

Anytime after I'm down to a quarter, I'll fill up if I see a convenient one.

The red light comes on with 50 miles left. Can you be 50miles from a fuel station in the UK?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 14 Dec 18 at 14:20
>> The red light comes on with 50 miles left. Can you be 50miles from a
>> fuel station in the UK?
>>

Not normally, but possible in a few of the really remote parts of Scotland, which is a lot bigger than many people expect. Also many of the local village fuel supplies can have limited opening hours.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 14 Dec 18 at 14:44
So, not really much need for planning normally?

Not that I am denying the stupidity of people, or the fact that they sometimes run out of fuel unnecessarily, but it is also possible to go far too far the other way and indulge in excessive planning.
Anyone NEVER run out of fuel? I can remember at least 3 times but all in pre computer days with very dodgy fuel gages and very limited finances.

You don't see many people trudging up the road with a fuel can these days.
>>and very limited finances.

That was always my issue. Combined with a mixture of optimism and fatalism.
 Remote Petrol Stations - bathtub tom
>>Anyone NEVER run out of fuel?
Yes once, a bubble car that took 2T and I hadn't switched to reserve, so I knew it had enough in it. Someone must have syphoned it - I hope it fouled their plugs!
Resulted in my first locking fuel cap.
 Remote Petrol Stations - Crankcase
>> Anyone NEVER run out of fuel?

Me. Might have got a bit near once or twice, hard to tell. But never actually run out (yet).
 Remote Petrol Stations - Zero
In a car? never, close enough that I had to weave the car from side to side to slosh it about a bit tho.
 Remote Petrol Stations - Runfer D'Hills
Ah, that'll be why you keep hitting things is it?
;-)
>> ... all in pre computer days with very dodgy fuel gages and very limited finances.
>>
>> You don't see many people trudging up the road with a fuel can these days.
>>

I ran out of fuel in my first (and still current) car with a computer. The dash said 17 miles to go and it petered out on a roundabout 100 metres from the fuel station.
 Remote Petrol Stations - Mapmaker
>>I ran out of fuel in my first (and still current) car with a computer. The dash said 17 miles to go
>>and it petered out on a roundabout 100 metres from the fuel station.

I have never run out of fuel.

17 miles to go is three pints of petrol. Out of a tank that takes 120 pints. Why would you do that to yourself?
Don’ know about the OP but I hate fuelling the car. Will always do it at the last moment, sometimes when the computer is giving a range of zero miles. Would certainly not be fussing to fill up if I had a whole 17 miles left!

Live dangerously! Planning is for wimps.
 Remote Petrol Stations - Runfer D'Hills
I'm the opposite, I always fill up when I get down to a 1/4 tank, in fact I start getting a little nervous once it's below 1/2 a tank.

Not sure I'm cut out for an electric car yet, the thought of having less than 100 miles range at any time would quite possibly bring me out in hives.

;-)
 Remote Petrol Stations - henry k
>> I'm the opposite, I always fill up when I get down to a 1/4 tank,
>> in fact I start getting a little nervous once it's below 1/2 a tank.
>>
>> Not sure I'm cut out for an electric car yet
>> the thought of having less than 100 miles range at any time......
>>
Having a total range of only about 300 miles I always ensure a full tank before any Mway trips.
Fortunately I have never got stuck in any major hold ups :-)
 Remote Petrol Stations - PeterS
>> I'm the opposite, I always fill up when I get down to a 1/4 tank,
>> in fact I start getting a little nervous once it's below 1/2 a tank.
>>
>> Not sure I'm cut out for an electric car yet, the thought of having less
>> than 100 miles range at any time would quite possibly bring me out in hives.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

The BMW was down to 9 miles range when I filled it up on Friday... Mind you, in the past I’ve had the Audi down to 0 miles battery range (and still moving on the motor) plus 5 miles of petrol range! Never actually run out, though as a student in ‘91 I recall coasting onto the forecourt of Asda at the top of Coronation Road in Bristol with an empty tank :)
 Remote Petrol Stations - PeterS

>> 17 miles to go is three pints of petrol. Out of a tank that takes
>> 120 pints. Why would you do that to yourself?
>>

Filling up the BMW after 300 miles rather than 250 saves me 10 trips to the petrol station a year!
Filling up is easier here but they still have men on the pumps, but even so I drive it until it is gasping and fill it until it is sloshing. Anything to reduce the number of visits.
>>
>> 17 miles to go is three pints of petrol. Out of a tank that takes
>> 120 pints. Why would you do that to yourself?
>>

In my niaevety I believed the display. And I didn't think about it with the clarity that you have.
I don't think I've ever encountered an optimistic fuel gauge that wasn't actually broken. They all seem to err on the conservative side.
 Remote Petrol Stations - Bromptonaut
>> This little gem on the right saved saved us a walk when Mrs H and
>> I were touring in Scotland on the motorbike in 2015. I hope it's still there.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/yc2ld263

Similarly with this one but in a car:

goo.gl/maps/x7ocwzGuhz72

Sign where we left main road indicated there was a filling station so we set off eschewing option of a deviation into Stornoway to fill up. Not quite on low fuel light when we got there but too near for comfort.

Only excuse is that stop/start single track roads gave very poor fuel economy (1.6 petrol BX RS).
Latest Forum Posts