Motoring Discussion > A motoring snaphot..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 21

A motoring snaphot..... - Dave_
I used to do that kind of driving every day for a living (finished doing it last July, home circumstances won’t allow me to go back to it for a good 10 years, ‘til they’re all grown up and moved out). It’s surprising just how much there is to take in on a long m/way trip, especially from the higher vantage point afforded by a van. A few responses to your observations:

>> 1. The Audi A4 is the most common car on the Motorway.

No, it’s the black Astra diesel. Audis only appear more numerous because you notice the LEDs coming up in your mirrors. ;-)

>> 6.. lit signs at the rear of their cabs, these surely must reflect on the windscreen?

Not really, the windscreens are actually angled slightly backwards even though they don’t look it.

>> 9… very strange accident, artic sitting in lane 2, a Skoda Octavia estate was wedged diagonally into its front corner but did not seem to have any damage

I’ve seen this happen right in front of me on the M1. A 306 moved from lanes 3 to2 after overtaking a lorry without fully passing the cab. The car was thus gently collected by the lorry’s front bumper and gracefully rotated round 90 degrees until it was skidding sideways, passenger doors against lorry’s front bumper. The lorry slowed down to a halt in the middle of the road and several passing motorists stopped and leapt out to clear the (scuffed, but perfectly driveable) car off to the h/s. (Car driver was completely unhurt but absolutely beside herself, bless her.)

>> 10. Police in Hull use strange cars, struggled to make them out but maybe old style Mitsubishi Charismas or Protons?

Proton Impians, from memory. They used to have some great plain clothes cars up (down?) there, including a VW Bora VR6.

>> 11. Lorry drivers must have some way to keep themselves occupied and amused whilst trundling along for hours at a time at 56mph.

Radio 2 mainly, or Berlitz CDs, or in the summer counting the number of flies on a given area of windscreen and extrapolating the figure to the number covering the whole frontal area of the truck (although this one may just have been me…)
 Messages Author Date
 A motoring snaphot..... new BobbyG 4 Mar 10 22:13
 A motoring snaphot..... new smokie 4 Mar 10 22:44
 A motoring snaphot..... new Dave_ 4 Mar 10 22:49
 A motoring snaphot..... new rtj70 4 Mar 10 23:00
 A motoring snaphot..... new BobbyG 4 Mar 10 23:08
 A motoring snaphot..... new Bellboy 4 Mar 10 23:19
 A motoring snaphot..... new MD 4 Mar 10 23:32
 A motoring snaphot..... new BobbyG 5 Mar 10 08:40
 A motoring snaphot..... new BiggerBadderDave 5 Mar 10 08:45
 A motoring snaphot..... new Pat 5 Mar 10 09:05
 A motoring snaphot..... new Bellboy 5 Mar 10 09:06