Motoring Discussion > Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 38

Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Falkirk Bairn
I see the odd Infiniti running around but I could pass a good few days / weeks before seeing another one.

When they started to sell in the UK there were a handful of outlets selling 3.7 litre petrols - not the best size for the UK - Dealers in major cities + the odd one here & there. Big announcements when another site opened, eg Hull, Cambridge (Banks Chain) 2/3 years back but all seem to be quietly closed, likewise their Newcastle outlet (Vertu) are no longer about since a few weeks back. They keep "opening service centres" / AKA a Nissan dealership to fill in the geographic voids caused by having only 7/8 outlets

What outlets are left? Basically the Infiniti Retail Group - ownership is Sunderland based with the same Post Code as a major car manufacturer!
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - sooty123
I suppose the market for a posh toyota/Nissan etc is fairly limited and lexus got there first. I always thought that they were odd looking things not exactly good looking cars.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Zero
The SUV thing the QX30/Qx50? is quite popular round here. By god its an ugly munter.

The nearest service centre is miles away
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - R.P.
The brand has little impact in the UK. I see a few around on my daily drives especially around Wrexham.

Whilst writing this I checked their network and surprise, surprise, they have a dealer in Chester, which I guess isn't surprising given the perceived wealth in the area.

Car may not be on many people's radar, so I guess some people buy them because they're a little bit rarer than BMW, Mercs etc.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Runfer D'Hills
I got a bit lost in Wrexham on Sunday funnily enough. There was some sort of blockage to our normal route home from Llandegla and I found myself somewhat spirally trapped in deepest Wrexham.

It's a great place to leave really, everything around it is so much more capable of improving your mood.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Bill Payer
>> Whilst writing this I checked their network and surprise, surprise, they have a dealer in
>> Chester, which I guess isn't surprising given the perceived wealth in the area.
>>
Well, the Nissan dealer has been appointed an Infiniti service centre.

I know someone on The Wirral who bought one from Infiniti Stockport and they told him they'd collect and deliver it for servicing. When he asked them to, they refused.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - rtj70
I am often near an Infinity dealership.... rarely see Infinity cars on the roads.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Runfer D'Hills
>> rarely see Infinity cars on the roads.

Oh I dunno, ever been on the M6 between J16 and J19 at rush hour?
;-)
Oddly saw a newish one (18 plater) in Ruthin...probably see a load now after this thread popped up.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - legacylad
I had a most damp wander across Ilkley Moor today, and when returning to my car through town spotted two Q30s within yards of one another. Only the badge gave them away. Without it I wouldn’t have had a clue what marque they were.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Duncan
When this sort of thread pops up, I sometimes look at AutoTrader to see what the new cars cost, where the nearest main dealer is, etc. For Infiniti they don't know where my nearest dealer is!
Reading
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - sooty123
I just had a look, my nearest one is in Watford!
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - VxFan
Infiniti, Infiniti, They've all got it in for me!

My nearest one is also at Reading.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Bill Payer
>> My nearest one is also at Reading.
>>

That's their original dealership.

Story was they came to UK with $10M and a plan to set up 5 dealerships around the M25!

They soon realised they had somewhat over-estimated how far $10M would stretch on prestige dealerships in the SE.

So they settled on having just one, in Reading.
As expected after this thread...saw two newish ones today in Flintshire.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - No FM2R
Infiniti is planned to become Nissan's electric/hybrid brand, right?

So in answer to the question "how long can they last in the UK? " I'd be going with "a long time".
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Sep 19 at 10:26
>> Infiniti is planned to become Nissan's electric/hybrid brand, right?

I've not seen that said elsewhere. But maybe it's true.

The association with Red Bull F1 racing has had them try to be a performance brand with Vettel previously help tune the vehicles, e.g. the QX70.

Infinity are meant to be releasing a performance electric car in early 2019.

The Q30 of course is a previous model MB A-Class in a new body.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 26 Oct 18 at 18:42
>> >> Infiniti is planned to become Nissan's electric/hybrid brand, right?
>>
>> I've not seen that said elsewhere. But maybe it's true.

Damn, you scared the crap out of me there, I thought I'd dropped one, but it is actually publicly announced.

www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/01/16/nissan-ceo-infiniti-luxury-brand-switch-electric-cars-hybrids/1038293001/

electrek.co/2018/01/17/infiniti-go-electric-2021/
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 26 Oct 18 at 20:07
Thats very US centric, always infinitis intended market place and by far their largest market. Infiniy, and nissan are a whole different ball game in the UK. I suspect that article does not apply and will not be relevant to the UK or Europe
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 26 Oct 18 at 20:24
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - tyrednemotional
....given where they are headquartered, I suspect Infiniti's current target market is China.

(One of my relatively near neighbours, a Scottish ex-engineer, has one - we used to regularly chat cars at his behest - it all went very quiet on that front since he bought it, and I daren't ask now :-( )
>> I suspect that article does not apply and will not be relevant to the UK or Europe

Well, the idea of a separate luxury brand has always had more traction in the States, it's true, but I think it will become more relevant in the UK rather than less.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Old Navy
Infinity may not want to last in the UK. On a worldwide scale it is a tiny market and maybe not worth the investment.
>>On a worldwide scale it is a tiny market and maybe not worth the investment

A valid and concerning point.

A tiny island of diminishing importance which is unlikely to be given significance over any other major market.

The availability of products in our market will increasingly become a subset of what is determined by the major markets.

The whole RH drive thing doesn't help.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - zippy
SQ
>> The whole RH drive thing doesn't help.

Don't worry, we have UK entrepreneurs like Dyson that will design and build cars here!

Oh, sorry, just heard that the factory is going to be in Singapore! So the arch Brexit supporter is setting up in a place that has just signed a free trade agreement with the EU.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 27 Oct 18 at 20:36
A sign of the UKs relevance in the car market shows in the UK specifications and options. We get what the big markets want. With the steering wheel moved over! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 27 Oct 18 at 21:10
>> A sign of the UKs relevance in the car market shows in the UK specifications and options. We
>> get what the big markets want. With the steering wheel moved over! :-)

Nissan and therefore Infinity is a Japanese company. What side of the road do the Japanese drive... I don't need an answer.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 27 Oct 18 at 22:43
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - The Melting Snowman
Dyson can breeze around the country in his Singapore-built electric car, hoovering up agricultural land. His farming business (Beeswax) seem to be buying up plenty of land. Is he really interested in farming or is it to escape inheritance tax? The panel can decide.
>> Nissan and therefore Infinity is a Japanese company. What side of the road do the
>> Japanese drive... I don't need an answer.
>>

You do, but no one else does because they understand what I meant.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - PeterS
>> A sign of the UKs relevance in the car market shows in the UK specifications
>> and options. We get what the big markets want. With the steering wheel moved over!
>> :-)

We are one of the largest markets for new cars in Europe. We change cars more frequently, perhaps as a result of the now virtually extinct company car culture. We have a greater propensity for consumer debt, or rather we have followed the US before the rest of Europe... And the UK market ‘demands’ sportier looking cars than much of the rest of Europe. Hence the proliferation of M Sport / AMG Line / S Line / R Line German metal, which your average German wouldn’t buy, on lease/PCP/PCH schemes. We get what the UK market wants. It’s just that that might not be what you want...! I’d hazard a guess that you are the outlier though, not the UK market as a whole ;)
9% of BMW's global sales are in the UK.
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Roger.
> The whole RH drive thing doesn't help.
>>
>>

Yeah, but right hand drive is best 'cos it's British :-)

>>
>> The whole RH drive thing doesn't help.
>>

Genuine question; with India forecast to overtake China in terms of population in the next 5 years, how long until they too have a middle class growing as quickly as China? And what then for LHD/RHD demand? Though, to be fair, they have a pretty loose definition of driving on the left, so perhaps a shift to driving on the right is already under way :)
 Infiniti - Infiniti - how long can they last in the UK? - Lygonos
www.rhinocarhire.com/CorporateSite/media/Blog-Images/Blog-2017/Countries-Drive-Left-or-Right.jpg

Malta's too small for the map but they drive on the left.

Badly.
>> www.rhinocarhire.com/CorporateSite/media/Blog-Images/Blog-2017/Countries-Drive-Left-or-Right.jpg

Australia is great, they drive on the left, have speed limits and distances in KMs, and American road signs.
Isn't it statistically safer the drive on the left ?
Only in the countries coloured orange on the map. The map also missed out the countries where they drive down the middle of the road and go for the widest gap on seeing someone coming the other way. Indonesia is good for that.
A reasonable number of the small SUV Infiniti here in Ibiza; the QX30? Is it based on the Qashqai (sp?) of the MB GLA?

Either way, without the critical mass of a dealer network it’s had to see how they’ll grow in the short term. Long term dealer networks are dead, people will buy online and it’ll just be manufacturer owned showrooms where people can go to ‘experiece’ the product. Without a huge dealer infrastructure to keep happy in the short term, maybe the likes of Infiniti will leapfrog the existing players since they have much less skin in the old game..?
QX30 is based on the previous model A-Class so related to a GLA. The Q30 is made in Sunderland. Not sure about the QX30.

Infinity seem to be making few inroads in the UK. How long did Toyota take to establish Lexus?
Latest Forum Posts