Motoring Discussion > Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 114

Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - R.P.

Top Gear chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 24 is HERE:-

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Dec 19 at 03:02
 New presenters... - No FM2R
Not sure what I think about this, could be ok.

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45937945
 New presenters... - sooty123
Not sure it'll work, when i see AF on tv I think he sould stick to cricket. He comes across as very wooden and awkward not a natural presenter or funny man. PM can be ok, in some things not sure this is his sort of show.
 New presenters... - No FM2R
It's Savage I was unsure of, I've only ever seen him on MotD and he was awful.
 New presenters... - Crankcase
Had the email from Amazon the other day asking for Grand Tour ticket applications, so I guess the final series of that is about to be broadcast too. I'll watch whatever they do, but won't be watching Top Gear unless they do some car I care about.
 New presenters... - Boxsterboy
>> Not sure what I think about this, could be ok.
>>
>> www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45937945
>>

Brave of the Beeb to employ presenters on a car show who only have their driving licences thanks to the 'skill' of Nick 'Mr Loophole' Freeman!
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Fullchat
Can anyone identify the hill which they drove the Ignis and the Panda up in tonight's episode 17/2/19. I'm making an assumption it was in Scotland.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 17 Feb 19 at 21:29
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Boxsterboy
They mentioned the name, but I didn't catch it - one for catch up.

As very pleasant as Sabine is on the eye, she could do with shouting less and talking more.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - zippy
Really enjoyed it and it is certainly more polished than The Grand Tour.

I liked the bit with the two small cars, shame that they didn't get the new Jimny, its higher clearance might have made quite a difference on that hill.

Gurlet Hill

www.themountainguide.co.uk/scotland/gurlet.htm

Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - tyrednemotional
...weren't the shots of the Lofoten Islands brilliant?

(actually, come to think of it, it might have been the Atlantic Highway given the other locations).
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Mon 18 Feb 19 at 11:49
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Fullchat
Gurlet Hill. I'm obliged.

I tried Googling what I'd thought they had said and was nowhere close.

Top Gear extra showed how they had filmed the feature and the type of vehicles, equipment and staffing they used. Quite good.

Being the Saddo I am I have tried to home in on where they started the climb. The A924 runs to the South from Pitlochry to the West to The Bridge of Cally and the A93 to the East. Nothing obvious there. There is another minor road to the NorthWest side but not covered by Google Street.

Seriously, my interest stems from finding decent riding roads for my Scotland trips and the aforementioned A924 seem to fit the bill.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Bobby
Will watch Top Gear extra in due course.

Re Ignis v Panda, assume they tell the suppliers that the car will be given a hammering?

Wonder if the suppliers are just happy with the coverage and not too bothered about the outcome? There will be someone out there that picks the Panda over the Ignis cos the Ignis needed an anchor and winch to get up the same hill that the Panda just drove up!
>> There will be someone out there that picks the Panda over the Ignis
>> cos the Ignis needed an anchor and winch to get up the same hill that
>> the Panda just drove up!

I thought they both used land anchors. I will need to re-watch that section.

Re the suppliers, that sort of free advertising must be worth millions. Remember when Toyota lent them a "team" of Aygos and they used them to play football? Must have been on for about 15 minutes - primetime - to a dedicated audience.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 19 Feb 19 at 02:13
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - VxFan
>> I thought they both used land anchors.

Correct.
Sunday 10th March.

Quite a humorous episode I thought (with the exemption of star in a fast car - why don't they get rid of it?)

3 blokes, given £6k each to spend on a 2nd hand car, and compete against a new Dacia Sandero in a series of challenges, including a 6 hour endurance race at Silverstone.

Yes, it's pretty much the same format all over again, but it seems to work, so why change the recipe?

www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/recap-top-gear-series-26-episode-4#1

ps, wonder if Roger watched it?
Sunday 16/06/2019 - Season 27 E1.

Not impressed.

There was very little personal connection with and between the presenters.

Some of the roads in Ethiopia had fewer potholes than the roads here!
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Zero
That was very weird, Started off well, and then I just cant figure out what happened between the presenters, it seemed quite hostile at one point.

Very disjointed.
Seems we have another shouty person who goes by the name Paddy McGuinness. I can just about tolerate him on other stuff, but on TG - No Likey.

They really need to think about changing the format though. All they're doing is just trying to mimic past presenters and their antics, but doing it very poorly.

"Oh look, Harris is shorter than us, lets take the mick about his height." That's already been done guys, many series ago with Hammond the Hamster. Find some new material.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - No FM2R
In the Telegraph they are quoted as saying 'they would bring a “different vibe” to the revamped show'.

I guess I missed the different vibe and the revamping.

>>>All they're doing is just trying to mimic past presenters

The behaviour, the 'banter' and even to the extent of the tone changing towards the end of a trip to the "we suddenly realised we had grown to love our cars / the country / our holiday..........".

They are never going to be as good at being Clarkson, Hammond and May as the originals continue to be - obviously. They need to stop trying to faithfully copy them and decide how they are going to present it in an original style..

The forced shouty stuff and forced mickey taking was toe-curling. The original three had been working together for 15 years before they fully achieved that, and these guys are faking it on the first show?

Flintoff could be ok I think, Harris is a bit grey and meh, but McGuinness is unbearable.

I actually missed Rory Reid. He got on with Matt LeBlanc and Chris Harris and was generally a cheerful chap.

He also did some of the testing of more normal cars like the Suzuki Ignis which was very watchable.
>> I actually missed Rory Reid.

+1.

Has Top Gear Extra Gear been cancelled? It used to follow after TG. If so Rory won't be back hosting it either.
I think Rory Reid is now presenting Top Gear: Electric which is online only.

Not seen anything about Extra Gear.
I miss Mat LeBlanc. He really did grow into that role, becoming the very dry, sharp and cruel humour based lead. I thought he was a knob before TG, but I liked him a lot at the end.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Duncan

>> Flintoff could be ok I think, Harris is a bit grey and meh, but McGuinness
>> is unbearable.

Who are/were they?

Flintoff was a cricketer, I know that.

What about the other two?
McGuinness has appeared since I left the UK, so I know no more than Google, though I've seen him pop up on the odd quiz show. As for Harris, not a clue.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Manatee
I'd never heard of McGuinness either. I don't think I can stand him. I watched the intro then found something else to do with the vague intention of watching it another time.

To start the first show by mocking Harris's height was pathetically banal - if that makes the edit, how bad is the rest of it?

I'm not expecting erudition, but some wit would be nice. Bad show BBC.
>> What about the other two?

Here's what DP previously said about Harris.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=26348&m=582993

Surely you've heard of Paddy?

Been hosting "Take me out" for a number of years now. Some sort of crap dating program.

He's also done various things with Keith Lemon (Leigh Francis).

Keith & Paddy's picture show.
Has recently taken over from Fern Cotton on Celeb Juice.
Just Google his name and he's been on the 'celeb' scene for a long time.

Doesn't make him less of an irritating tit though.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Lygonos
Saw a couple of Keith and Paddy's picture show and thought it was pretty well done.

But in most other shows he does chafe my nipples.
Seems some of the critics were watching a different episode of TG to the rest of us.

"Top Gear: 'Warm' return praised by TV critics"

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48660623

===========

"Top Gear off to a flying start as new line-up lands best viewing figures in three series"

www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-gear-flying-start-new-16532138

===========

"Based on this first episode though, the BBC programme looks to be back on track with a winning formula, combining the bits viewers love with some genuine charm."

www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a28035721/top-gear-review-episode-one-paddy-freddie-flintoff-series-27/

===========

"Paddy McGuinness and Freddie Flintoff ‘saved’ Top Gear says original The Stig"

metro.co.uk/2019/06/17/paddy-mcguinness-freddie-flintoff-saved-top-gear-says-original-stig-9980659/

Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Netsur
I found it rather cringeing at times; forced humour and wooden set pieces. The Ethiopian road trip could have been great but wasn't a patch on the old TG; Cinematography was not as good, less excitement on the roads and no explanation about how the Boxter got its fans.

Didn't leave me wanting any more, only, the opening credits have got me interested as they have clearly driven a Matra-Simca Bagheera, which was a car both my father and I wanted to own. We found the only one on the North West about 25 years ago, but was a total dog so we walked. So I am interested in watching that episode.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Kevin
>..a Matra-Simca Bagheera, which was a car both my father and I wanted to own.

A friend has one fitted with the 1.9 engine out of a Pug 205GTi.
I always wanted a Matra Rancho - a Discovery before Landrover made Discoverys.

It was probably crap but I always wanted one.
My brother had one. Had longitudinal seats in the rear IIRC. It was mechanically a bit iffy and also only 2WD unless my memory is at fault - it might well be, it was a long time ago.

I watched the rest of TG. I mostly just wanted McGuinness to shut up for a while.
Yes, I think it was 2WD. I've never been in one but the chap down the street had one and I always fancied one myself.
I always wanted a rancher as well, till I found out they went rotten faster than a chysler 180
>> they went rotten faster than a chysler 180

I had the Chrysler 2litre. Same car, different engine. I absolutely loved it. OK, it looked like a b***** great Hillman Avenger, but it was gloriously comfortable to drive, had tons of space, and was bullet proof.

I only ever had the one and I got it by mistake, so I knew nothing about them. Mine didn't rust, but I don't doudt you.
I used to get the annual Daily Express car magazine in the early 80s and the Bagheera did look funky at the time.

I also recall the Porsche 924 costing something like £9103, and the Panther Kallista looking cool as.

What do children know?
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Kevin
>I also recall the Porsche 924 costing something like £9103,

The 924 and 944 were criticised as the poor man's Porsche but practically saved the company.

When I was given the producer I was driving a 944 Turbo S. Even in standard tune it would easily see off a Sierra Cosworth and yet insurance premiums were about one third of the Cosworth's. With the rear transaxle it needed sympathy with gearchanges though.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - bathtub tom
Wasn't the Rancho a Simca 1100 with the same tappety, rattly engine?
>> Wasn't the Rancho a Simca 1100 with the same tappety, rattly engine?

I believe so, and the same level of rustproofing. EDIT - just looked it up, it had a 1400 engine.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 19 Jun 19 at 09:41
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Bromptonaut
Like others here I fancied one for a while but even with my penchant for things French a Simca was a step too far.

My Dad had a Simca 1500 estate as a firms car from 66-69. By the end of that time it was shot.
Tonight's episode was dire.

More shouting, forced humor and the electric shock thing was infantile and then fat shaming.
>> More shouting,

I get the impression that Paddy McLoudmouth thinks he's in charge of the show. If anyone should have that role, it should be Chris. He's been there the longest and has a real connection with cars.

Why didn't they show Stig's lap in the Tesla? That could have been interesting, given how the Tesla isn't set up for handling.

Is it me, or is Flintoff's presenting style wooden?
Just awful. Forced, contrived and not funny. Surely they cannot continue like this.
>> Surely they cannot continue like this.

Apart from the studio stuff, most of it will have been filmed - unfortunately.

Amazingly though, the new series is getting rave reviews! I've seen comments such as

"so funny, I almost peed my pants"
"It's great now Leblanc's gone"
"Top Gear is funny again"

They must have been watching different episodes than I've been watching.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Dieselboy
Or they were watching the same episode and just have a differing opinion. The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same.

Just don't watch it if you find it that awful.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Crankcase
Not watched it myself, but did see a comment along the lines of "it was always three old blokes complaining about the younger generation and the world changing around them. Now it's three younger blokes complaining about the stuffy older ones. It's great".

Any truth in that?
>> Just don't watch it if you find it that awful.

Can't argue with that. And McLoudmouth (I like that) has his fans - but I'm guessing they aren't typical TG watchers, if there is such a thing.

Is this is what he is 'famous' for?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=khYxW8iCVDw

It's possible that TG will find a new audience - the wit has gone to be replaced by shouty, lager and shots laddishness (cf. the red wine drinking laddishness of Clarkson/May Hammond).

I don't think so, but it might turn out to be a successful repositioning. Or it could turn out like Marks & Spencer's, when it moved away from its middle-aged fanbase, failed to capture enough of the younger, trendier target market and floundered, such that it has never really recovered.

Flintoff is struggling I think. Maybe he'll get the hang of it. Wouldn't be surprised if Harris bails, depending on how attached he is to the money.
>> Wouldn't be surprised if Harris bails

He does seem to be at the brunt of the new boys "jokes". References to his thinning hair, height, weight, etc. Seems the BBC haven't heard of the Equality Act ;)
Seems the BBC haven't heard of the Equality Act
>> ;)
>>

Where is Rory!

The only reasonable bit in the entire episode was the segment with the Tesla 3. Chris did say it was the sporty model and they start at £39k. The one he drove was nearer £60k. The paint alone is nearly £2k!
Model 3 Performance now £49k base.

Would wait until July when flat white is due to become the 'free' paint rather than black....

Episode was horselumps apart from Harris's review of the Tesla - must admit to a smile when they did the drag vs M3/Alfa/C63 and it shot away from them off the line.

The Alfa looks beautiful.
It's difficult to know how much they'll settle down. It is all forced and loud at the moment, but perhaps that's because they're new.

McGuinness's loud and in-your-face approach doesn't seem to work for Harris and even Flintoff seems uncomfortable.

The future episodes may have been filmed, but editing can change a lot of things.

However, as Manatee said, perhaps they're after a different audience. Perhaps the original audience has largely sloped off with The Grand Tour.

The new target audience doesn't see to be me, which is a shame, but perhaps that's why the reviews seem to different to my own opinions.

Two of the three presenters know nothing about cars, have no experience of reviewing cars, no experience of a motor show, no knowledge of engineering, no business or industry expertise, and seemingly no relevant knowledge or experience at all.

Perhaps that's intentional.

As for not watching it, if it stays like this I guess I'll drift away from it. But I wanted to like it.
Episode 3

Hmmmm!

If it weren't for all the shouting (yes YOU Paddy!), trying to mimic past presenters, and some of the puerile stuff, then it wouldn't be too bad a show.

Watchable, yes but only in a "background, I've got other stuff to do while it's on" kind of way.
Enjoyable. no.

I really think that the BBC have lost the meaning of what falls into the category of entertainment just lately.
The reviews online continue to be good, I continue to think it's s***e.

Don't think I shall bother with any more episodes, it's not getting better.
I watched it, but it was kind of background noise, so I don't think I actually saw much of it.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - sooty123
My OH enjoys the latest series, probably as much when Clarkson did it. She remembers that its on before I do. It's ok to have on in the background.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Runfer D'Hills
That's interesting Sooty. I'm not particularly taken with the new set up, but I seem to be less irritated by it than some.

My wife though much prefers the new team to the Clarkson/May/Hammond combination and laughs out loud at McGuiness and Flintoff. I find them a bit, I don't know what to say really, childish maybe, a poor imitation of the original, a bit like one of those Children in Need spoofs of a real programme.

However, there is very little else to watch on our favourite subject and if that's all there is, it'll have to do I suppose.
>> I watched it, but it was kind of background noise,

Paddy McLoudmouth is hardly background noise, unless you turn the sound of the TV right down to nought. His voice just really grates on me, along with his accent and silly pronunciation of words.

Freddie Turnoff sounds far too much like Vernon Kay, and I don't particularly care much for either of them.

Chris is about the only decent presenter on TG right now, and he doesn't seem to get much of a look in anymore.

Stig has vanished too, and we're told if we want to see any of his hot laps then we have to watch them on-line.

Shame they didn't make the z list celeb part vanish too.
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Oldgit
I think it's awful. Crass or puerile whichever word suits this programme best.
Where have you been?
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - bathtub tom
>> Where have you been?

Keeping an eye on Rip Van Winkle?
 Top Gear Discussion Thread - Volume 25 - Oldgit
>> Where have you been?
>>
One gets out of the habit of contributing to forums sometimes. I got banned from DS by holding some strong views that they found exceeded their T&C's so thought I'd just read rather than make comments. The older I get (now in me Eighties) I find it difficult to succumb to petty restrictions at least as I see them.
>> I got banned from DS

Digital Spy?
>> I think it's awful. Crass or puerile whichever word suits this programme best.

Both. Probably why there's quite a demand for it.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 18 Jul 19 at 17:54
I have a confession, I actually enjoyed Sunday's episode.

Chris and Freddie's Iceland article was quite good.

Take Paddy McLoudmouth out of the equation, and suddenly Freddie isn't quite so boisterous and irritating.

So that's the answer. Get rid of McLoudmouth, aka Chris Evans mk2.

And wouldn't it be a hoot to have Jezza, May, and Hammond turn up as guests for star(s) in a race car.

I agree with that. Paddy is and causes the problem. The bits without him were fine. Obviously a work in progress, but fine.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 18 Jul 19 at 20:58
>>And wouldn't it be a hoot to have Jezza, May, and Hammond turn up as guests for star(s) in a race car.

They'd be fools to do it.

Nothing makes a fondly remembered older model look dated and inadequate like standing it next to the updated model.
 Top Gear Christmas Special - Nepal - VxFan
I have to say that was one of the best episodes of TG I've watched in a very long time.

IMHO it was also a whole lot better than The Grand Tour's effort as well.

TG 1, TGT 0.

I know some of it was predicable, even with relatively new presenters, but on the whole it worked. Not to mention some of the scenery too.

3 totally different cars used for the challenge too. I can remember the local farm had one of those Renault 4's, and that was a pretty much go anywhere vehicle. I've seen one driven across a muddy field and not getting stuck. So what you saw on TG wasn't staged.

More episodes like that please.

Top Gear Christmas Special - Nepal - R.P.
I didn't watch it, but a friend who sees cars as household appliances sent me an SMS to say that it was very good. Will watch it on catch up.
Just me who enjoyed the Chrimbo special then?
 Top Gear Christmas Special - Nepal - Runfer D'Hills
It was ok. I have felt that a Renault 4 was something I should have had, along with a 2CV, but I never got around to either. Had a couple of Mk1 Pandas instead at that stage in my motoring life. I reckon they might have done ok on that trip. Took one of them on Alpine skiing trips a couple of times and it coped very well with deep snow and altitude. Certainly managed very well on rough tracks in Scotland too when attempting to access stupid places to ride a bike.
 Top Gear Christmas Special - Nepal - Ateca chris
It was ok, its Paddy mqguinnis that spoils it for me he is always having a go at chris Harris and then Freddie Flintoff starts as well. When paddy isn't around Flintoff is a really nice bloke and gets on well with Harris maybe its banter but I find mcguiness a bully...
Last edited by: mazda chris on Thu 2 Jan 20 at 13:19
 Top Gear Christmas Special - Nepal - Zero
It was quite entertaining, but I'm afraid I was appalled by the treatment the rather tasty 106 got, and that of the '4 which looked in good nick and should have been feted as a classic!
>> It was quite entertaining, but I'm afraid I was appalled by the treatment the rather
>> tasty 106 got, and that of the '4 which looked in good nick and should
>> have been feted as a classic!

Come on, since when have TG ever shown any mechanical sympathy to a vehicle?
 Top Gear Christmas Special - Nepal - Crankcase

>> Come on, since when have TG ever shown any mechanical sympathy to a vehicle?

Oliver, of course.
>> Oliver, of course.

Nope. Hammond tried drowning it.

youtu.be/J9O-yg17OQI
 Top Gear Christmas Special - Nepal - CGNorwich
It’s so past it’s sell-by date. Time to do the decent thing and put it out of its misery
 Top Gear 26th Jan 2020 - VxFan
Well if the next 5 episodes of the new series are as good as last night's, then the BBC (along with Flintoff, Harris, and McLoudmouth) have managed to rescue TG from the scrapyard.

Yes, I know some of it was predictable, but that's been the way for a long time now.

It also makes up for the lack of any Grand Tour episodes this year.

And I had to laugh at Flintoff's comment while waiting to bungie jump off a dam in a Metro. "I bet Clarkson wouldn't do this"

Seems very few comments so far on this latest series (series 28). In fact only from me ;)

It's very rare that I enjoy 3 episodes of TG in a row, there is usually one dull episode in among it somewhere.

But including the recent Nepal Christmas Special, I have enjoyed each and every episode of series 28 so far.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, and some of the content is mimicking the previous 3 old duffers who used to present it, but if the format works, then why change it?

I really think that the current presenters are starting to work well together.

Looking forward to the next 3 episodes.
 Top Gear 26th Jan 2020 - bathtub tom
I confess to watching that episode - not factual is it?
To suggest hydrolysis of water would produce enough oxygen to compensate for the rarity of atmosphere. You'd need a damn great power source to do that!
 Top Gear 26th Jan 2020 - Fullchat
I created some debate on a retired Traffic site regarding the driving of the Stuttgart registered Porsche by Chris Harris on UK roads. - To be fair some of it was along the lines of 'the clue is in the title retired' and 'get a life' but discussion did ensue regarding driving foreign registered vehicles whilst being a UK resident which is more or less 'no can do'.

So unless Chris Harris is actually not a UK resident and lives in a tax haven, be definition he shouldn't be driving the vehicle.

However, and not corroborated officially, there is something titled 'Certificate of Temporary Importation' issued by Revenue and Customs which details the conditions and permissions by which a temporary imported vehicle may be driven but his is not indicated on the UK Gov searches.

Right nipping out to shops to see if there are any 'lifes' for sale :)
 Top Gear 26th Jan 2020 - PeterS
>> I created some debate on a retired Traffic site regarding the driving of the Stuttgart
>> registered Porsche by Chris Harris on UK roads. - To be fair some of it
>> was along the lines of 'the clue is in the title retired' and 'get a
>> life' but discussion did ensue regarding driving foreign registered vehicles whilst being a UK resident
>> which is more or less 'no can do'.

Academic now...but you’d have thought that being a member of the EU would mean that a vehicle from anywhere in the EU could be used anywhere in the EU by any EU citizen...? Freedom of movement of good plus freedom of movement of people ought to have made that possible...!
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Feb 20 at 18:55
 Top Gear 26th Jan 2020 - Fullchat
"Academic now...but you’d have thought that being a member of the EU would mean that a vehicle from anywhere in the EU could be used anywhere in the EU by any EU citizen...? Freedom of movement of good plus freedom of movement of people ought to have made that possible...!"

"In what circumstance was the Stuttgart registered Porsche being driven? Was it Chris Harris's own car?"

"Are we saying that if my BiL who divides his time between France and RoI came over in his French registered but RHD Berlingo I couldn't drive it?"

I am assuming the electric Porsche was a 'demonstrator' doing the rounds from Porsche in Stuttgart for the benefit of Top Gear and other forms of journalism. Hence Chris Harris having the opportunity to test the vehicle for the programme on UK roads.

As regards the total freedom of movement of people and cars there is still compromise working in the background. Different countries have different taxation rates and rules. As far as I am aware these restrictions apply in European countries as well. So whilst there was freedom of movement in mainland Europe (Schengen - which we opted out of at inception) each country still has its rules and regulations.

The restrictions in use of foreign vehicles is ultimately driven by Customs and Revenue. Imported vehicles should pay the required taxes and Vehicle Excise Duty. The rules and regulations are dictated by C&R. This is supported by the DVLA and Police as a vast amount of foreign registered vehicles are being used illegally. They are difficult to trace, proven more likely to be involved in 'hit and runs' and are capable of avoiding enforcement. Insurance validation is questionable long term if its issued out of the UK.

The term 'resident' and 'residency' is used frequently within the regulations. Simplistically if you live in a country for 185 days or more then you are classed as a resident. That then dictates your obligations as to whether you register the vehicle in that country.

The regulations are quite specific and limited regarding a UK resident driving a foreign registered vehicle so under normal circumstances you shouldn't be driving a foreign registered vehicle. There are some very specific exceptions to these rules that allow a UK resident to drive a foreign car in the UK. (Copied from Kats Gone Global)

The most commonly used exception is for rental vehicles. If you drive a rental vehicle from another country in the UK, you will not be violating any laws as a resident of the UK. This allows UK residents to travel freely. Meaning, a UK resident could fly to France, and return to the UK using a rental car registered in France.

Diplomatic vehicles are also exempt from following the same rules as other vehicles that drive in the UK long term. A diplomatic vehicle is allowed to drive on UK roads with foreign registration without being subjected to the same requirements as other vehicles.

If you work in a country that is part of the EU, you can temporarily use a company vehicle in the UK that is registered in your employer’s country. You also do not need to worry about breaking the law in this case.

So yes I'm saying you cant drive the BiLs Berlingo.

The only issue that has raised its head is for say someone who lives in UK for say 7 months and France for 5 months. They have a French registered and insured vehicle and wish to return to England for a short while. Whilst the regulations are specific there is some common sense applied but the onus is upon them to be able to prove that is there intention.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 12 Feb 20 at 00:11
 Top Gear 26th Jan 2020 - No FM2R
In Spain one can drive a UK car as a UK Citizen / Resident . The moment one becomes a Spanish resident then one can no longer drive that car without re-registering it.

It's residency which is the issue, not nationality. And one is considered resident if one spends more than 6 months a year there.

Fairly normal I think.

Same in Chile for Chilean residents and Brazil for Brazilian residents. I should think it's the same or similar most places.

EDIT: Which is pretty much what Fullchat said. Apologies for the duplication.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 12 Feb 20 at 00:31
 Top Gear 26th Jan 2020 - Bromptonaut
>> So unless Chris Harris is actually not a UK resident and lives in a tax
>> haven, be definition he shouldn't be driving the vehicle.

In what circumstance was the Stuttgart registered Porsche being driven? Was it Chris Harris's own car?

I know the rules that allow you to bring a car over as a visitor pretty much mandate it being re registered once you're resident. I've seen the odd EU resident who has been at best warned and at worst prosecuted for offences in that area.

Are we saying that if my BiL who divides his time between France and RoI came over in his French registered but RHD Berlingo I couldn't drive it?
>> not factual is it?

TG stopped being factual a very long time ago. Probably during the era of William Woollard, Chris Goffey, etc.

One quick internet search found the following.

"A BBC spokeswoman said several times in an interview that Top Gear was "an entertainment programme, and should not be taken seriously."
 Top Gear 26th Jan 2020 - Crankcase
Dipped very briefly into post old duffers Top Gear once or twice, gave up as seemed appalling whoever was presenting it.

Recently I saw a few people had said the Nepal special was really good, so I tried to put aside any prejudices and give it a go.

Managed about three minutes. It was just a carbon copy of a twenty year old TG with exactly the same "so I've bought the best car, and..oh hang on, what's this coming, oh you idiot" beginning.

It was like they were all doing impressions of the original three, but really really badly. Oh well, there's many another tv show.

Top Gear. Series 29 - VxFan
What no comments?

Apparently viewing figures have gone up, but that's more than likely because it's now on BBcC1 rather than on BBC2.

I know it's a similar format to previous shows, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? 3 geezers having fun in cars.

The celeb in a car bit has now finally been ditched. Something I shan't be sorry to see gone.

I'm even slightly warming to Paddy McShoutymouth, but that could change again at any given moment.
 Top Gear. Series 29 - R.P.
Watched the first bit...then recorded it, will whizz through it at some time.
 Top Gear. Series 29 - VxFan
Enjoying this latest series so far. Great tribute to Sir Stirling Moss last night.

Next week is the last in the current series though. Only 5 episodes which seems a bit short.
 Top Gear. Series 29 - R.P.
Great filming in my locality - referring to it as as a "great motoring playground" isn't a good thing, a number of great motoring roads have been spoiled by talentless ***heads coming here in their cars and following bad collisions have resulted in Average Speed Cameras being installed.
 Top Gear DB5. Two rev counter needles. - bathtub tom
Can anyone explain why it had one needle hovering just above 1K, while the other seemed to be following the engine revs.
 Top Gear DB5. Two rev counter needles. - Runfer D'Hills
Can't quite remember which was car it was that I had, as it's a very long time ago. But, it had two needles on the rev counter. Might have been on a Midget. One operated in the normal way, and the other could be manually positioned. I always imagined that was there to be used by the driver as a reminder of the ideal change up point or optimum power in the rev band. But, I don't know that for sure.

Or, perhaps you musht have been dreaming?

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 22 Mar 21 at 14:48
 Top Gear DB5. Two rev counter needles. - No FM2R
No, he's not dreaming. I sacrificed 5 minutes of my life and watched that bit of TG to see what he was talking about.

Indeed it is a rev counter with one needle behaving as you would expect. The second needle moves down from 12 ish to 10ish as the first needle moves from 30 to 40. (x100). So the second needle is not engine speed, nor gear changing pointer or tick over measurer. And it moves.

It's a Smiths dial, predictably. I have no idea why it has a second needle, I'll have a Google about.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 22 Mar 21 at 14:58
This one which looks otherwise identical doesn't have the second needle.

www.pinterest.cl/pin/156851999498114323/
And this is a screen grab from the TG episode.

imgur.com/gallery/fzX6V9Q
Fuel economy gauge maybe? Revs go up, mpg goes down? Or, is it some kind of hybrid battery power gauge or somesuch?
>> the other could be manually positioned. I always imagined that was there to be used by the driver as a reminder of the ideal change up point or optimum power in the rev band

That's exactly what they were for, but this isn't one of those. Sometimes they were used to show what the engine had revved to, but this isn't one of those either.
The vehicle in the TG show is actually the DB5 Continuity Edition.

In this article there is a shot of the dash.

No second needle.

robbreport.com/motors/cars/review-aston-martin-db5-goldfinger-continuation-1234570319/

So I have no idea, sorry. But now I want to know as well.
I have almost no claims to fame, and, perhaps more sadly, even fewer to notoriety. But, one thing I am covertly proud of, is that the first car I ever drove, was a DB6.

I was 14, and the car belonged to my pal's father, who was away on business at the time. It was the summer holidays and my mate assured me that "dad won't mind"...

They had a fair bit of land, so we were never on public roads.

As it turned out though, his dad did mind, quite a lot.

;-)
>>As it turned out though, his dad did mind, quite a lot.

I can only imagine.

Kind of puts my adventures in my uncle's Anglia into sad relief, though.
I thought there might be some motoring associated answer, which is why I asked here.

I emailed Aston Martin and received the reply:
"There is only one needle in the tachometer. We suspect one to have been a reflection from the camera lights."

Looking at it again, I'm not entirely convinced by their answer.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Tue 23 Mar 21 at 16:29
 Top Gear DB5. Two rev counter needles. - Bromptonaut
>> "There is only one needle in the tachometer. We suspect one to have been a
>> reflection from the camera lights."

Presumably this stuff is filmed using a sophisticated digital camera. Could the camera be too clever for it's own good?
Actually I think this particular bit was filmed with a mobile phone. Look carefully at my link above and you can see a reflection of a hand and, I think, a mobile phone.
Ask "Q"

;-)
 Top Gear DB5. Two rev counter needles. - Zero

>> Looking at it again, I'm not entirely convinced by their answer.

A reflection with the same fulcrum point aiming at a different number?

Nah that answer is pants.

I am going to have to watch TG again and record it and dissect each frame

Thanks a bunch guys.

Let me save you from the torture of shouty idiots and loss of life...

imgur.com/gallery/A25yqKr
I wonder if the shot was edited (badly).
 Top Gear DB5. Two rev counter needles. - hawkeye
I can't see that's a reflection; it looks as if the needles are different distances from the dial face in the manner of an analogue watch. The reading on the second needle might make sense if it was trying to show MPG. I know vacuum gauges were popular back in the day. Maybe there's a secret tube connecting the mechanism to the inlet manifold. My clue was the fuel reserve warning light on the tacho dial.
Last edited by: hawkeye on Tue 23 Mar 21 at 17:52
An economy gauge on a three million quid Aston Martin? Really?
 Top Gear DB5. Two rev counter needles. - hawkeye
To dismiss a vacuum gauge as merely an economy gauge is to neglect the possibility of using such a gauge for engine fault finding; thumbsnap.com/f/yaSeRmM3

Are you suggesting that a £3M motor won't need any warning lights or gauges because, after spending that much money, the car won't go wrong? Come to think of it, why bother with a speedo; the well-heeled owner will surely be able to shrug off a few speeding fines.

I'm looking forward to finding out what the second needle is for. If it really exists.
 Top Gear - Crankcase
I'm probably late to the party here, but I discovered on iPlayer last night you can watch the first ever (new) Top Gear. Jason Dawe. Hammond looking about eight. No May yet.

Clarkson's first review was an unexpected choice, but at least it was under eight thousand, new.

It was surprisingly watchable, for ten minutes.

Then I discovered it's ALL on there, every series. My word. I might rewatch a couple of the specials.

So if you want a little nostalgia, on you go.
 Top Gear - Dave_
New series coming this Sunday.
 Top Gear Axed - Reaction - VxFan

Definitely NSFW (contains lots of swearing)

youtu.be/Q2tKX_XbZCE?si=UNW-tk4A9prx4TO1
Latest Forum Posts