Motoring Discussion > Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 103

Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - tyro
Ouch.

My 7 year old Ford Ka has just been serviced and put through its MOT at the Ford dealership I always take it to, leaving me £801.37 poorer. Getting it through the MOT was an expensive process this year.

For those who are interested in such things, this is where the money went.

£225.05 - 75,000 mile service. Actually it only has 41,000 on the clock but it it only does 6,000 miles a year, so this was its 7th annual service. It struck me as surprisingly expensive. Last year's service was £99, the year before's was £145.

£40.00 - Brake fluid change.

£54.85 - MOT

£140.55 - yet another new coil spring

£146.45 - new front discs

£155.71 - two new front suspension arms. (The bushes were worn on both sides, and when the bushes are worn on a Ka, it apparently means a new wishbone arm.)

£29.23 - set of new wipers

£9.53 - one of the wheels was badly worn, so I asked them to swap it with the spare.

I've no idea whether those prices were good or bad; I just paid the bill and tried to smile nicely.

All comments welcome.

Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - henry k
>>£146.45 - new front discs
and pads?
"and pads?"

I assume not. The carefully itemised bill (which includes such things as 2 fasteners @95p) does not mention pads.

FWIW, the discs were last replaced at 25,000 miles, and the pads, to the best of my knowledge, at 19,000.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Fenlander
Sadly this is why it doesn't make sense to take an older car to a main dealer. What they have done looks to be priced every job as a stand alone ignoring the fact that there was loads of overlap in the jobs you had carried out. For example while doing the suspension arm you would have done half the work to change a spring. When I was involved in pricing such things from the point of view of an indy I'd have allowed you a fair amount of time rebate against the book times to equate more to the actual time taken.

I'm guestimating the parts could have been around £195 (should have been at an indy anyway) plus the MOT at £55 leaves £550 labour. A half decent mechanic would have breezed this in well under a day. That's a big profit for the workshop.... which of course is what it's all about.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Runfer D'Hills
For what it's worth.....

I took my 8 year old 180k odd Mondeo in for a "full" service a couple of weeks ago ( including front pads ) at my local indy and the bill came to £180.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Zero
I can buy a whole 7 year old Ka for that price.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Boxsterboy
Just what I was thinking, Zero
More or less the same thought went through my mind, RF, when I was at the dealers. However, there is only one 2003 Ka at £800 on Autotrader. The average price is actually about £1500. But still . . .

Fenlander, the total cost for labour for the coil spring, suspension arm, and front discs was £275.66 (including VAT).

And yes, I had already decided that I won't be taking the car back to the dealership - more because of the quality of the experience than the cost. The MOT slot was at 11.00 am. I phoned at about 2.30 and they couldn't tell me whether the car had passed or failed. That, in my view, is unacceptable.

Last edited by: tyro on Wed 25 Aug 10 at 18:46
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - corax
.*******
Mods, what did you do to my message?
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - RattleandSmoke
You would have triggered the wear filter. Probably for using more than one mild swear word.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Tooslow
We have a quota?

JH
Sort off, I've been 'victim' of it a few times pretty much know how it works. Swear more than once the entire post tends to be deleted :).
>>You would have triggered the swear filter

Yep, it was pretty mild (one swear word), and I was going to edit it, but my message disappeared too. Anyway, I was just repeating what you and bellboy thought, expensive for a service, and best to look for an independent considering the car is supposed to be cheap to run.
Last edited by: corax on Wed 25 Aug 10 at 19:15
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - R.P.
Corax,

No-one edited you it was a swear filter thing...! If we edit you can see who did it (edited by donkeybrain etc.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Bellboy
and i thought highway robbery was illegal
i am going to try and promise to never ever recommend independant garages again if long time members on here have more money than sense
Wow thats quite a big bill especialy when it will be crushed next year when the terminal rot sets in. (sorry inherited Bellboy's optimism today).

Makes my dads service and MOT seem cheap, £140 for a new sill, brake clips and the cert. £25 for the oil change and £5 for the filter (to be fitted myself over the weekend).

The labour rate seems very high especialy since I assume the spring would need to be removed to change the wishbone? Its all stuff we've had done on the Fiesta. I would hate to see the bill they charge for the rear axle bushes when they go (which they will).

I paid £100 for two pads and discs earlier inc labour, I have no idea what quality they are though but 5000 miles later they look as new.

Find a good indie next year and your repair bills will be halved. The entire point on older Fords is they are supposed to be dirt cheap to repair.

>> And yes, I had already decided that I won't be taking the car back to the dealership - more because of the quality of the experience than the cost..

None of my beeswax but if you have reached that conclusion, I'd tell them so, in writing with your reasons why. May not be anything other than satisfaction of closure but you never know, it might, just might, invoke a positive response of some kind. Next service half price or somesuch.......
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Tooslow
"Next service half price " and we all know how that works... Just double the number you first thought of, then apply the discount :-)

JH
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - crocks
>>£155.71 - two new front suspension arms. (The bushes were worn on both sides, and when the bushes are worn on a Ka, it apparently means a new wishbone arm.)

I believe the bushes are available but the wishbones are relatively cheap.
My independent just replaces the wishbones.

You wouldn't want to pay for half an hour at £100/hour just to save £20 on parts.
I think thats the problem, it takes far longer in labour to remove the bushes than the cost of the complete arm. I certainly wouldn't want to try and press then out of a propably already rotting arm.
>> >>£155.71 - two new front suspension arms.

I can get two genuine front wishbones for my BMW for £140. The rubber encased balljoint wears out. Surely a pair of wishbones for a Ford Ka should be cheaper?
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Skip
I presume that the prices quoted for the various jobs are inclusive of labour as there isn't any labour listed anywhere else on the post.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - DP
>> I can get two genuine front wishbones for my BMW for £140. The rubber encased
>> balljoint wears out. Surely a pair of wishbones for a Ford Ka should be cheaper?

Known brand aftermarket arms are readily available for £20 a side. It wouldn't be so bad paying £140 for Ford ones if they actually lasted any longer than a couple of years.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - ....
It would appear more has been shared between Ford & Volvo than platforms.
What part of the country was this ? SE, SW will do if you don't want to give away location.
Duplicate entry
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 25 Aug 10 at 19:44
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Robin O'Reliant
Thirty quid for a set of wipers (a fiver in Wikinsons) and nearly £10 to swap the wheel for the spare.

Fifteen minutes of your time would have knocked £40 off the bill.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - madf
So you gave the delaership a blank cheque by not getting a quote first and then are surprised when they fill it out big style..

They must love you there.. "One born every minute" is I suspect what they think.

No work is ever done on any car of mine at any garage without a quote first.

Period..

So no surprises and no stupid prices - which frankly is what the OP has paid.
Apologies for the bluntness.
>>They must love you there.."One born every minute" is I suspect what they think.

Maybe they do, but with an attitude like that and charging those sorts of prices for someone with an older car, maybe thats why Ford come so low on the list for dealer satisfaction. I don't know if they're trying to encourage people in with older cars like some other marques, but they're not going about it the right way in this instance. No wonder there's such a thriving aftermarket.
I think this particular dealership is taking advantage of the fact the OP always takes his car to the same place, and rewards him by robbing him. Nice one. But then I suppose they do have to keep that expensive coffee machine topped up....
""One born every minute" is I suspect what they think."

The phrase that went through my mind was "a fool and his money are soon parted."

:-(
you know the real annoying thing? You have spent a shed load of money on it that wont be recouped if you sell it. YOu are now going to have to run this thing for another 5 years and hope nothing major goes wrong

Or the bottom falls out of it.

Every KA i saw over 4 years old at a recent auction was going rotten round the sill and doors.
"You know the real annoying thing? You have spent a shed load of money on it that wont be recouped if you sell it. You are now going to have to run this thing for another 5 years and hope nothing major goes wrong."

Nah, that's not an annoying thing. I want to keep the thing for at least another 5 years. Hopefully 15. Maybe 20.

The really annoying thing is that the rust is going to reappear with a vengeance in 18 months time.

On the plus side, when we get it cut out and welded and resprayed by some indy, and he charges us £600, I'll be able to say "That's not too bad really. We paid more than that to get it through its MOT a couple of years back."

You see, there are different kinds of idiots out there. Some throw their money at unlikely old cars they see on ebay, others throw their money at keeping worthless wrecks on the road. And in the year 2029, someone will post an item in the Unusual Sightings thread claiming to have seen a 53 reg Ka, and everyone will marvel that such a thing is still on the road.
"I want to keep the thing for at least another 5 years. Hopefully 15. Maybe 20."

As I've already said: see tinyurl.com/38jcyfc at Thu 23 Jun 2005 11:46

Mad?
>>>You see, there are different kinds of idiots out there. Some throw their money at unlikely old cars they see on ebay, others throw their money at keeping worthless wrecks on the road. And in the year 2029, someone will post an item in the Unusual Sightings thread claiming to have seen a 53 reg Ka, and everyone will marvel that such a thing is still on the road.

Nice chilled attitude Tyro :-)
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Every KA i saw over 4 years old at a recent auction was going rotten
>> round the sill and doors.
>>
I looked at a few recently, and anything over about 5 years seem to have a problem with rust on the bodywork around the filler cap. Seems a strange place to suffer, being well above ground level.
"I looked at a few recently, and anything over about 5 years seem to have a problem with rust on the bodywork around the filler cap."

Precisely where the worst rust on mine was.
"I looked at a few recently, and anything over about 5 years seem to have a problem with rust on the bodywork around the filler cap."

If you look underneath, mud collects there.

(adn Mark2/3 Fiestas).

Hose it down, wait till it dries, remove it all by hand and spray on dinitol...

Been there, done that.. and it still rusts : but more slowly..

There was zero rust protection on KAS from new...cost saving...
Bellboy, can you shed any light on why the 7 year service should cost £225, excluding the cost of changing the brake fluid - when the same garage (IIRC) charged me £100 for the first service, £130 for the second, £100 for the third, £130 for the fourth, £145 for the fifth, and £99 for the sixth? That's the thing that really puzzles me. What is so special about the 7th service?

gmac, it's in Scotland - as per my profile.

AndyP Yes, all the figures in my original post include labour. I can break them down into labour and materials should anyone want a breakdown.

Regarding suspension arms, I had them replaced by a local indy in 2006 for about £140.

Humph, thanks for the idea, but I've decided I'm not going back. And what I would basically be complaining about the fact that the business is just too big. And they can't do anything about that.

You see, I use an indy in town for my Citroen. It was people on this site, like Bellboy, who persuaded me that this was a good move. My town indy (as opposed to my local indy, who is much more limited in what he does) has done some work on the Ka, and from now on I'll probably use him for all the work on the Ka. But for various reasons, I used the dealership for the service and MOT. I've used them for 11 years now, and they've generally been OK. This is the seventh service they've done on the Ka, and the fifth MOT. So far, their bills have been very reasonable. Last year and the year before, the car came through its MOT without even an advisory, and in previous years, the bill was reasonable. Furthermore, they have provided a courtesy car (something which is useful when you live a couple of hours drive from a dealership, and which my indy doesn't do.) And then there is the fact that if my first 5 services had not been done at the main dealer, I would not have been able to get a huge amount of work done on the rust/paintwork warranty. (Remember the saga? tinyurl.com/3yuyfb9 )

The service manager at the dealership is a nice person. He's helped me in the past. But in the end of the day, there is something about glass palaces that puts me off. They are simply too big. They are full of people on telephones and computers. When I go to my indy, it's much more relaxing. Shame he doesn't provide a courtesy car, but I'll just have to do without it. In fact, on one occasion, he asked me if I could give another customer a lift into the town centre. It's the sheer human-ness of small businesses that I like. And if you get a decent human running the small business, then it's really great.

"Thirty quid for a set of wipers (a fiver in Wikinsons) and nearly £10 to swap the wheel for the spare."

£25 last time I bought a set in Halfords. As for the £10, well, it's not a lot of money, and to tell the truth, the tread was, er, ahem, such that I would have had to do it on their workshop floor, if you see what I mean.
"So you gave the delaership a blank cheque by not getting a quote first and then are surprised when they fill it out big style. . . . No work is ever done on any car of mine at any garage without a quote first."

Regarding quote for service - I've never asked for a quote for a service in my life, and I've always been charged a reasonable amount before. I am not questioning the integrity of the dealership.

Regarding quote for work done to get car through MOT - they told me how much it could cost. And I told them to do it, since I live 2 hours drive from the MOT centre, and my main priority was to get the car through the MOT and get it home as quickly as possible. Time is money, and if one lives in remote areas, one has to do things differently.

>> gmac, it's in Scotland - as per my profile.
>>

Thanks for the clarification.
I don't always get my car serviced where I live. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Skoda
From armchair analysis i reckon the over-payment is around £325 vs. a fairer minded main dealer carrying this work out.

ok the bill's a bit OTT and could be avoided in future, but, i don't think it's the end of the world like some make out.

To be honest, it's still a desirable car (these sell like hot cakes according to ebay & AT websites at this age) crucially with a full main dealer service history. That's worth a couple of hundred on its own.

Yeah definite over payment, but not by enough to loose any sleep over - the overpayment would pay for itself if sold tomorrow.
Last edited by: CraigP on Wed 25 Aug 10 at 21:47
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - BobbyG
I don't doubt for a minute that you have paid well over the odds for this.
However this is part of the trap of running an older car like this. Without the MOT its not a car, its not fulfilling the role of a car and its just a lump of metal.

So you need to pay hundreds to keep it on the road. So say he has spent £700 and the car is now worth £1k.

Or the other other end of the equation, you have a £20k car, pay it up at £300 per month and the depreciation on it is costing you £5k a year.

We shiver at the cost of paying £700 a year on maintenance, but say "thats life" to spending £000's a year on depreciation?
I think it's more that the op could have halved the cost by using an independent garage. I can see no value in having a £1,000 car maintained at a £100+/hr main dealer. An indie would have done just as good a job at half the labour rate, been able to use cheaper, but still decent quality pattern parts, and the car would be just as safe, roadworthy and legal afterwards.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 25 Aug 10 at 23:19
My ex had an 8 year old Ka, it was so rotton that I snapped the cross member in half with my bare hands. I thought the MK4 Fiesta is a rust bucket but compared to the Ka its a modern FIAT.

Lets just hope the Ka in this example is one of the better ones and isn't rotton tot he core.

The annoying thing about the Fiesta apart from all the clonks (which wasn't even an advory) its running so well. The engine gearbox and clutch all work perfectly. It pulls very well with plenty of torque, its 13 year sold with 88k on the clock, the engine could easily do another 40k but the rust will kill it bell before then.

Its such a shame that the Ka has such a strong engine and gearbox but such a weak bodyshell. That said I still see a few P regs about/
ts such a shame that the Ka has such a strong engine and gearbox but such a weak bodyshell. That said I still see a few P regs about/

>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>you will do its car thief city ,they will all be ringers of 54 plates,look carefully at the colour of a p reg next time you see one ask yourself did they really offer that colour in 96/97 with that interior
My sister chopped in her 1998 Ka last year for a cracking deal on a year old Corsa. Believe it or not, the Ka had never had, or needed welding for the MOT, although it was definitely coming. The sills and boot floor were looking decidedly iffy.

This particular example's biggest problems were mechanical. The fuel injection system was playing up, it spewed oil from an increasingly porous sump and various other places, and generally looked and felt tired. It had just over 100,000 miles on the clock.

They are a great little car, but the fact they are built to a very low price becomes painfully obvious as soon as you venture under the bonnet, or the car itself. I have never worked on anything with such rotten / poor quality fasteners. Getting any bolt or screw undone on it was an absolute nightmare.

Last edited by: DP on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 09:40
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Stuu
Im assuming the reason for the £225 for the service is its been done at main dealer labour rates - quite possibly would be half at an indie.
Brake fluid/MOT sound ok.
£29 for wipers? Thats crazy, they cost less than half that and take 5 mins to fit.
£9.53 to change a wheel? And you paid that? They should have taken the wheels off to service it anyway so your being charged twice.

Shame you cant name the dealer so they can be avoided.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - lancara
Bookmarked for next thread on Kia 7 year warranty and the resulting high servicing costs
>>>Shame you cant name the dealer so they can be avoided.

Most main dealers have the same pricing structure.
Shame you cant name the dealer so they can be avoided.

If you can't work out who the dealer is, you have not been reading my posts carefully enough.

;-)

I think dealers should be more honest. If I see a seven year old computer with 256MB RAM, a Celeron processor and a failing hard drive I just tell my client to ditch it. I may not make as much money on the short term but when I explain it will cost £80 for the repair and you still end up with a slow old computer, or £250 for a new one it gives them trust. I also do not sell computers for this reason due to a conflict of interest.

When my dad takes his Fiesta to his garage for an MOT he always gives it a quick check over first (free) to make sure its worth doing. I find it quite unethical that this garage has charged £800+ on a car which is essential rotton. I know they have to make money for shareholders and all that crap, I understand its a business etc, its just not the way I like to do things.

By doing this they have also lost a customer. There is a little Ford garage in Rawtenstall its privately owned by two old men but it is a proper Ford main dealer. They get praised all over that area because unlike the big chains they are not trying to make a fast buck all the time.
"If I see a seven year old computer with 256MB RAM, a Celeron processor and a failing hard drive I just tell my client to ditch it. I may not make as much money on the short term but when I explain it will cost £80 for the repair and you still end up with a slow old computer, or £250 for a new one it gives them trust."

Rattle, has anyone ever told you that you were prone to overstating your case?

I find it quite unethical that this garage has charged £800+ on a car which is essentially rotten.

Or to exaggeration?

:-)
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Iffy
Hats off to Tyro for the equanimity and good humour with which he is bearing a nasty bill.

I don't think the precious 'indy' of internet forum fable would be much cheaper.

The last research I read suggested a wide variation of charges, with main dealers being cheaper than indies on some things and dearer on others.

Some on here don't like Fords, but the wider populace does, which means this car is worth £2.5K all day.

I think Humph had the best suggestion, rather than just withdraw his business, I'd suggest Tyro goes back to the dealer and voices a few concerns 'on reflection' about the size of the bill.

It does rather look like the jobs have been charged individually, when in reality some of the labour will have overlapped.

They might not want to reduce the bill now, but a service discount voucher or a free MOT next year might be forthcoming.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Number_Cruncher
>>All comments welcome.

Tyro,

I didn't see wheel alignment in your list of items charged for. As the garage has had the suspension fully apart, they should have checked the wheel alignment after they put it all back together.

It may be included in the prices you've listed, but, if they didn't check it, and if the alignment is now way out of adjustment, your tyres might wear rapidly.
Thanks, Number Cruncher.

There is nothing about checking wheel alignment in the bill. I'll ask them if they checked alignment and tracking. If not, I'll get it looked at.
>> Some on here don't like Fords, but the wider populace does, which means this car
>> is worth £2.5K all day.

Alas its not worth anything near 2.5k at any part of the day. Check autotrader.
...Check autotrader...

I did.

Asking prices for 53-regs vary from about £2,000 to £3,500.

So I reckon £2.500 is a reasonable figure for our purposes.

But there are lots on there, and I don't have the time to go through them all.

what autotrader are you looking at? the first three pages are 7 year old Kas that max out at 1.2k.
...what autotrader are you looking at...

A search for Ford Ka £2,000 - £3,000 up to seven years old brings up quite a few 53-regs.

And some newer and some older ones, of course.

well search on Ka's up to 7 years old with no price guide. You might find whats hiding from you.
The OP has a 7 year old KA and it's had its 75k service.

Auotrader has 6 pages of cars up to 80k miles, 2003 UNDER £1500.

...The OP has a 7 year old KA and it's had its 75k service...

The OP says: "Actually it only has 41,000 on the clock."

There might be three million Ford Kas on autotrader for less than 50p, but there are also a number of Kas in comparable condition to the OP's which are realistically priced.

I think you wil find most people buy the cheapest and best. Thats realistic. Now stop being a DH.
...Now stop being a DH...

Eh?

Zero,

I don't post on here to be called names by the likes of you.

Kindly remember your manners.

You earned it. Its yours to keep, free, gratis, and for nothing.
"The OP has a 7 year old KA and it's had its 75k service."

The invoice described it as the 75k service, madf. The car has done 41k.

Ifithelps may not be so far from the mark. If one looks on Autotrader for 2003 Kas with less than 60,000 miles and full service histories, the average price is about £2,400, and there are very few at under £1500.

And mine has new front suspension arms and front discs and 12 months MOT.

;-)
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - Bromptonaut
>> I don't think the precious 'indy' of internet forum fable would be much cheaper.
>>
>> The last research I read suggested a wide variation of charges, with main dealers being
>> cheaper than indies on some things and dearer on others.
>>

Mirrors my experience. We have a 'French Specialist' indy here. A family business, very freindly and much more obliging than the former main dealer. But their charges are only just below the dealer's, possibly a little more for some jobs.

I'd rather use them because they're convenient, know me & SWMBO and treat us as valued customers. Not prepared to gamble either car on looking for somewhere a bit chepaper.

We do miss the franchised repairer who went under at the turn of the year. I suspect their car business was profitable, unfortunately a lot of the site was given ober to the LDV vans sale side.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 17:03
The clutch change on our Grand Scenic was £950 at a recommended Renault specialist indie, against £1200 from the main dealer. The parts used were the same - the difference was purely due to a £30 per hour saving on the labour (£80/hr vs £110/hr). And thanks to Renault's idiotic mechanical design on this car, there was a heck of a lot of labour involved. Front of the car almost had to come off!!
>> The clutch change on our Grand Scenic was £950 at a recommended Renault specialist indie,
>> against £1200 from the main dealer. The parts used were the same - the difference
>> was purely due to a £30 per hour saving on the labour (£80/hr vs £110/hr).
>> And thanks to Renault's idiotic mechanical design on this car, there was a heck of
>> a lot of labour involved. Front of the car almost had to come off!!

Agreed. This is where having a car that is relatively easy to work on comes into it's own. French cars are not the most logical machines, and you pay for that through higher labour costs. Part of the reason I own an old BMW is that mechanics never have a problem working on them, and subsequently get things replaced quicker, and cheaper. For £800 I could get four new tyres and a clutch change on my car.
>>I don't think the precious 'indy' of internet forum fable would be much cheaper.

If I owned that car and took it to my local mechanic, he would charge nothing like that, but then I am very lucky to have someone who will charge reasonable labour rates, and will also fit parts that I've supplied, something I know that many garages would have a problem with. 20 minutes walk from my house is the icing on the cake.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - WillDeBeest
Aren't the 7yo Kas priced at £3,000 on Autotrader still there precisely because no-one has bought them at that price? I've done no research on the subject, but instinct tells me that's an absurd price for a tiny, tatty, old car with well-known design problems.
It's about what I'd ask for my 7yo S60 D5 - and I'd expect to have to drop that a bit, not that I'm selling. But a straight swap for a Ka? Come on!
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - BiggerBadderDave
"Aren't the 7yo Kas priced at £3,000 on Autotrader still there precisely because no-one has bought them"

Everything is on AT because no-one has bought it.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - WillDeBeest
That's my point really, Badders. Makes it a poor guide to setting your own selling price, unless you watch it for weeks and see what sells and what rots on the shelf.
Anyone knows that dealers selling cars get the highest prices.

To suggest a Private Owner's car is worth dealer prices is misleading and incorrect..

Of course, a Private Owner may ask more: but the chances of achieving it are slim ...
the one reason this car could attain £2500 is apparently because it is in the back of beyond
im sure i could find the same car in lets say leeds for a lot lot less
its called supply and demand
so no-one is right
and AT is a dammed good barometer, its the friend of anyone who sells cars or vans so there
Well here's a thing ( do hope you don't mind the temporary thread theft Tyro ) I had my company Qashqai in for a service today. My employer insists it goes to a Nissan dealer. the service itself wasn't too steamy really given that it was at Nissan and came in at £207. Still a lot more than I could have got it done for at my local garage but hey....

The really eye watering bit though was the advisory on front discs and pads. Apparently it needs both and so it may well but the quote is £332.92 !

Now I shouldn't care. It's a company car. They'll pay up without a murmur. Why should I bother.

Well, I can't help it I'm afraid. It's preposterous. I'm going to get my trusted local indy to give me a quote tomorrow and run that by my employers. If it was my car I'd never go back. My Ford has never been anywhere other than my local firm in its long and faithful life and I trust them implicitly to do a proper job at a fair price and I want to engineer a situation where they get the business on my company car too.

So there.....
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 18:42
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - rtj70
It will depend on whether it's a leased car - in which case it will go to where they prefer. My lease car would end up at a non-franchised garage for servicing if I'd let them. But I doubt they'd put in the right Mazda oil that meant to handle dilution by diesel and also the ECU needs resetting for an oil change (DPF related). And the service history of Mazda's is electronic so how would that be updated by an independent?
They own it.
>>Apparently it needs both and so it may well but the quote is £332.92!

I thought our previous Accord's discs were expensive at £120 the pair!
...Apparently it needs both...

I blame the driver - too much right foot leading to too much middle pedal.

>> ...Apparently it needs both...
>>
>> I blame the driver - too much right foot leading to too much middle pedal.

Thats a bit harsh, ifithelps, the mans' an icon in my eyes :-)
Last edited by: corax on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 19:37
..the man's an icon in my eyes...

An icon - a symbol - but of what?

Aw shucks corax, you'll make me blush.....

I think you're a decent cove too, in a manly way of course.....

( shut it BBD and Zero ! )

Edit - and you Iffy !
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 19:51
...and you Iffy !...

Back to motoring, as some used to say....

Isn't the squashy an auto?

Common sense tells me that makes it harder on brakes.
Wow

MAN LUUUUUUUUUUURVE
Nothing wrong with a bit of man love between good friends Humph
Oh crap, he was nice to me so I was nice back ! Nowt wrong with that is there ????

Now stow it you lot !

lol
No, want I meant is that anyone who can coax that sort of mileage out of one of those troublesome TDCi's we've heard so much about demands the utmost respect. And reverence :-)
Yes it is an auto. I guess that would be a reason for brake wear. I normally get a lot more out of discs and pads. Pretty certain the Mondy has only had one set of discs when it was at about 100k.
Have you put on weight perhaps...?
Racing snake mate.
>> Yes it is an auto. I guess that would be a reason for brake wear.
>> I normally get a lot more out of discs and pads. Pretty certain the Mondy
>> has only had one set of discs when it was at about 100k.

How many miles has the squashy done?
short 50, 48 something I think
Its those brothel creapers of yours, No feel through the pedal.
>> short 50, 48 something I think

The Accord's were done at 55k and that was an auto, don't know how heavy the car is compared to a squashy, but it sounds about right, assuming similar disc quality, which I was told was very good on Jap cars.
Fair enough, I suppose the brakes do take a lot more punishment in an auto. I'm still in two minds about auto boxes. Sometimes I just love it, especially in London or in motorway queues or indeed any heavy traffic. Even though you can switch it over to a sort of manual sequential mode I have to say, on twisty fast "A" roads I still prefer a manual.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - An expensive trip to the dealers - John H
>> Fair enough, I suppose the brakes do take a lot more punishment in an auto.
>>

As HJ used to report on his FAQs, the new pads/discs needed advisory is often a scam.
Hmmm thanks John. I'll get another opinion on them.
1867 views on a ka- ka
most undurable car ford ever made and everyone has an opinion
brilliant :-)
at 48k miles, in an auto, I would not be suprsied if its getting thin on brake pads.
depends on the auto box
if its like mine a cvt then yes as you get no engine braking
if its an old converted auto out of one of those discarded zodiacs then you can get the box to slow you down if you are a professional driver who is alert because we need more lerts
;-)
Well I got the quote from the indy. Bear in mind the Nissan people wanted £332.92. He'll do the job for £194 inc VAT. So I roll it along to him this PM, he's only round the corner, just to check if it really does need doing. He advised me to come back in about 10k miles.....

He'll get the job, I'll make sure of it.
Latest Forum Posts