Motoring Discussion > Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 18

Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - Dulwich Estate
It's time again to get prices for annual breakdown insurance to include for homestart and European travel.

A firm that says in it's renewal is more-than wants £93. A firm who offers a quoteline direct wants a mere £59 and that outfit say the service is provided by Britannia, who on their own website want £130.

Is the £59 pa company worth a punt?
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - Perky Penguin
I went to moneysupermarket.com who woulddn't quote without age, age of car and annual mileage. I made up some middle of the road figures, on your behalf, and came up with this.
tinyurl.com/3ylnfy6

There are 4 levels of cover which depend on whether you want your car recovered to a suitable repairer or returned to your home, from the South end of Italy! The price varies a bit!

Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - Falkirk Bairn
Green Flag wanted £122 for 2 cars (£93 the previous year) - been with them over 25 yrs and brokedown 2 x in that time - GF were OK on both occasions.

Changed to GEM @ £64 for 2 cars for approx same cover - cannot comment on service levels as I have only been with them 3 months and I have not broken down as yet - 2 x Japanese cars so hopefully I am wasting £64 / year.

Gem have good reports on user surveys.

Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - Iffy
...Is the £59 pa company worth a punt?...

Can't see why not, particularly if you think your car is reasonably reliable.
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - Bellboy
i see quoteline have a 0844 tel number but prefer you to email them
from personal experience i am not a fan of 0844 or email when you are in a situation of quick need
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - tyro
For me, Green Flag were looking for £100 for me to renew my Recovery policy with them for two cars.

My cars are insured with NFU Mutual who include Roadside Assistance level breakdown cover in their ordinary fully comprehensive insurance. They will add Recovery to that for about £21 per car per year. (They use RAC cover.)

It seemed to me that I was throwing money away being with Green Flag, so I simply moved added the Recovery to my NFU Mutual policy, and informed Green Flag that I was not renewing because they were too expensive, since I could get the same level of cover elsewhere for under £50. The gent at the call centre said "Let me see what we can do", but when he got back to me, all he could offer was £90 instead of £100.

Moral of the story is that getting breakdown cover through your ordinary car insurance may well be the cheapest way of doing things.
any 085? numbers may have landline equivalents which are 0800 or 01????? and free on your call Plan. visit www.saynoto0870.com to search
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - bathtub tom
I thought autoaid was recommended here.

www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - jc2
The OP is asking about European travel as well!
Eurorescue is the recommended company for European cover by AutoAidBreakdown. It's £100 per year. Er, No Thanks.
Indeed he is - sorry. I have just come off the phone from renewing the free Cover that came with my Ford, bought last October. I got 75% off the renewal, for one person/one car, and paid £55 for the top level of cover. Does not include European but they said they could do that on an individual trip basis for about £40 for 8 days
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - tyro
And as for NFU Mutual, they do offer Continental Breakdown cover as an extra on car insurance, but I have no idea how it works or how much they charge. I gather that one tells them the dates that one requires cover for, and they quote accordingly.
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - Iffy
...from renewing the free Cover that came with my Ford...

I did the same - about £50 for AA everything.

Bet they try to hammer us next year.

Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - madf
SWMBO was offered £35 Breakdown cover by AA in a desperate attempt to keep her insurance..
Instead we went to Saga. (no breakdown cover)
Ford were offering me 3 services and 2 more years Europwide breakdown cover for £640. With the services @ £150 each this meant the breakdown cover was about £100 a year so the AA cover that ifithelps and I have bought for £50 for another year looks like a better deal and if I want Euro cover I will buy it seperately in the unlikely event that I go abroad in my car.
"SWMBO was offered £35 Breakdown cover by AA in a desperate attempt to keep her insurance..
Instead we went to Saga. (no breakdown cover)"

Very, very curious - it's the same company !
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - Zero
If you never have a need to use it, its always a terrible deal.
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - Collos
ADAC no other company remotely comes near them 78euros a year any car any country,car repatriation ,pay hotels,airfares,doctors,hospitals and mich more check their web site.
 Breakdown Insurance - is it a good deal ? - jc2
ADAC cover only available to German residents.
Latest Forum Posts