Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Avensis - 08 2.0 Key Replacement
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 7

Toyota Avensis - 08 2.0 Key Replacement - nice but dim
Dad has lost his main key leaving him with just the spare grey fob key.

He has sourced a replacement for £120 at a non-dealer - all good.

General question and probably car specific but is it possible to de-register the old (lost) key from being able to start the car? I know there cant be much done if they found the key and used it to open the car.

I assume the ECU has serial numbers of keys that can unlock it to start?
 Toyota Avensis - 08 2.0 Key Replacement - Zero

>> General question and probably car specific but is it possible to de-register the old (lost)
>> key from being able to start the car? I know there cant be much done
>> if they found the key and used it to open the car.
>>
>> I assume the ECU has serial numbers of keys that can unlock it to start?
>>

Its is very car specific, even same model by year specific. I had to get a new key for the 2012 Volvo, (at enormous expense) and they de registered the old lost key as part of the programming.
 Toyota Avensis - 08 2.0 Key Replacement - Bromptonaut
Acquired an extra key for both Berlingo and Roomster so there was a 'spare' for kids to use when they drove either. On both occasions we had to present all extant keys so that they could be re-coded. Any not presented, we were told, would stop working.
 Toyota Avensis - 08 2.0 Key Replacement - carmalade
Adding a key and deleting a previous key can only be done via the diagnostic system with the correct software.The cheapo non original keys are usually complete garbage.You may have wasted £120.
 Toyota Avensis - 08 2.0 Key Replacement - nice but dim
Thanks for the advice given, I have asked about this proposed replacement and told him to check everything before committing. I just hope the original key is now well lost far away if it is outside, but it most likely in his house despite it being turned upside down to try and find it.

He is asking for advice but I've never been faced with this type of scenario.
 Toyota Avensis - 08 2.0 Key Replacement - BiggerBadderDave
"most likely in his house despite it being turned upside down"

Look in the ignition.
 Toyota Avensis - 08 2.0 Key Replacement - slowdown avenue
i did it myself a few years back on a corsa b got key and chip from ebay and an op-com .bit of kit of ebay probably dodgy, but yer did it . had to drag all the computer stuff outside to the car. and was able to erase original key. it took a lot of time because i had to research a lot and am not the brightest, saved me a bundle, sense of achievement
a couple of months later up in the loft laying down to reach something and my foot went ting jingle .and there was the key ring
 Toyota Avensis - 08 2.0 Key Replacement - slowdown avenue
he probably had the keys in his hand, when he wanted to pick up something else. try all old work clothes pockets
Latest Forum Posts