Non-motoring > Anti inflammatories Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 26

Anti inflammatories - MD
I need to take them for an issue with an extremely painful leg and have taken them yonks ago without issue. However, I have one question:

The gastro resistant pill to be taken prior, states to take 30-60 mins before food which seems wholly reasonable, but my question which may sound stupid is: If one didn’t eat for say 4 hours would the benefit of the tummy protector pill be diminished?

Thanks. MD.
 Anti inflammatories - Ambo
I doubt it. If it is Lansoprazole you are speaking of, the effect is supposed to last for a bit over 24 hours.

What anti-inflammatory are you using? Years back, Diclofenac was suspected of giving me an ulcer and I was taken off the entire NSAID group for good. Now I don't use any such drug routinely.
 Anti inflammatories - Roger.
I've never found that anti-inflammatory meds. do anything for me.
As for the widely touted and very expensive, Ibuleve, it's as much use as a cup of cold sick.
 Anti inflammatories - CGNorwich
It was a great song though:

Ibuleve for every drop of rain that falls,
A flower grows,
Ibuleve that somewhere in the darkest night,
A candle glows.
Ibuleve for everyone who goes astray,
Someone will come to show the way.
Ibuleve
Ibuleve.
 Anti inflammatories - Runfer D'Hills
Yes indeed, another favourite being that timeless classic, the "Hard Egg" song...
m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8VGQTtENSs
 Anti inflammatories - Haywain
.... and, not forgetting 'My ears are alight'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxtfdH3-TQ4

BTW, MD, I reckon your question ought to be addressed to a pharmacist or a doc.
 Anti inflammatories - tyrednemotional
"Go and get stuffed"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n3sUWR4FV4

(Not to mention the Whitney Houston classic - no, I think I'd better not :-) )
 Anti inflammatories - jc2
Anything available over the counter won't be particularly effective-I've been on morphine(prescribed)for some time now and it only just takes the edge off the pain.
 Anti inflammatories - Bromptonaut
>> Anything available over the counter won't be particularly effective-I've been on morphine(prescribed)for some time now
>> and it only just takes the edge off the pain.

Agree 100%. I have an occasional back problem which flared badly over Christmas. Probably a prolapsed disc but whole of lower back seemed to be in some sort of spasm. OTC remedies like Nurofen + are enough for normal twinges but not this time.

Fortunately Mrs B had a stock of prescription co-codamol (500mg Paracetamol/30mg of Codeine). Those eased it until I got home and got prescription for 30mg Codeine which I can mix/match with standard Nurofen or Paracetamol.
 Anti inflammatories - sooty123
Fortunately Mrs B had a stock of prescription co-codamol (500mg Paracetamol/30mg of Codeine). Those eased
>> it until I got home and got prescription for 30mg Codeine which I can mix/match>> with standard Nurofen or Paracetamol.

I've a few of those tucked away, along with some naproxen. Got some after my car accident, worked wonders for me. From hardly being able to move to up and about in a couple of days.
 Anti inflammatories - Lygonos
>>If one didn't eat for say 4 hours would the benefit of the tummy protector pill be diminished?

No, it suppresses acid production for up to a few days, give or take.

It works best on an empty stomach hence the 'before food' guidance.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 18:38
 Anti inflammatories - MD
Thank you Lygonos, a decent answer. Whoever sent in the clowns I sent them out!

Yes Lansoprazole. It’s all worked before, but I wanted other opinions/experiences. Currently I couldn’t survive without the Naproxen (day 1 atm). I know both the upsides and downsides, but without it I could gladly amputate half a leg! Some days the pain HAS made a grown man literally scream.
 Anti inflammatories - Lygonos
Since you're saying leg rather than toe/ankle/knee I presume it's not gout.

I like gout, mainly because it's the only arthritis we can fix - all the rest are a patch-up job :-)
 Anti inflammatories - Pat
I'm not allowed NSAIDS at all even as an ointment but when I had an attack of Gout last year and ended up visiting our village small hospital walk-in centre on a Saturday morning in agony they couldn't have been more helpful.

Naproxen was what they wanted to prescribe but was unable to, so they found a Doc who was at that moment visiting a patient and asked him to come and see me.

He sat down and explained that I could have just 3 doses of Naproxen but absolutely no more.

I MUST take them in the middle of eating a meal and I MUST sit upright for at least 30 minutes after the meal.

I often wondered why perhaps Lygonos could explain?

I was so grateful for the pain relief I only ever took one dose which did the trick and I always keep them with me now in case of a flare up.

Pat
 Anti inflammatories in gout - Lygonos
>> I often wondered why perhaps Lygonos could explain?

The thinking is that taking the tablets with food reduces the risk of stomach complications from the NSAID.

It probably only helps a little as much of the effect is systemic (ie once the medicine is absorbed into the bloodstream) rather than a local chemical issue.

If someone has a dodgy stomach (history of ulcers or bad heartburn) then you'd typically give an acid reducing medicine with the NSAID (omeprazole/lansoprazole etc) - many 'dodgy stomachers' will already be on these medicines of course.

A sub-group of NSAIDs (known as COX-2 inhibitors - etoricoxib I think is the only one licensed for gout) may be of some value for these groups as they have a lower incidence of stomach problems, although they have the same risks of kidney and heart complications.

For acute gout you can also use colchicine (the Romans many have used this by munching on autumn crocus for their gout) and steroids like prednisolone where NSAIDs can't be used but as with everything in medicine each approach has its pros and cons and needs worked out as appropriate for the patient in front of you.

I found this page which is very useful:

www.ukgoutsociety.org/PDFs/Final_All_about_gout_and_treatment_2016.pdf
 Anti inflammatories in gout - Pat
Thanks Lygonos

Pat
 Anti inflammatories - Duncan
>> I like gout,

I don't.
 Anti inflammatories - bathtub tom
We've a new volunteer joining us at the charity where nearly all of us are old men, he's a retired GP. Reading this thread I reckon he'll think he never retired.
If I ever get some kind of ailment, I just sort of have a word with it and tell it in no uncertain terms that it's not welcome, and should pack it's bags and leave without delay.

Works mostly. Some folk seem to embrace their sicknesses and become slaves to them. I treat them with a combination of disdain, denial and contempt. I shall of course die from one of them in due course I suppose, but whatever it is, it'll not get me without a fight.

I'm a great believer in keeping the lurgies at bay by taking regular exercise and a sensible diet rather than relying on pills and potions.
 Anti inflammatories - Zero
>> If I ever get some kind of ailment, I just sort of have a word
>> with it and tell it in no uncertain terms that it's not welcome, and should
>> pack it's bags and leave without delay.

I drink lots, I fall over, I break bones, they get fixed, I carry on drinking.
Get a group of over sixties together and I within ten minutes they are discussing their medications. Makes me run a mile.
 Anti inflammatories - Dog
>>Some folk seem to embrace their sicknesses and become slaves to them. I treat them with a combination of disdain, denial and contempt. I shall of course die from one of them in due course I suppose, but whatever it is, it'll not get me without a fight.

>>I'm a great believer in keeping the lurgies at bay by taking regular exercise and a sensible diet rather than relying on pills and potions.

De acuerdo. 65 now, don't any pills, and haven't visited a GP since 1992, thankfully.
I know of people who ARE their illnesses (or the other way round) they seem to relish telling peops what illnesses they suffer from. and what medicines they take.

My ole (70) sister is coming down to Cornwall (Mullion) next week, end-stage kidney dis-ease, mastectomy, myeloma. Never mentions how she feels or what she has to suffer thrice-weekly with dialysis, in fact, she leads a more 'normal' life than me, and I'm as fit as a Stradivarius.
A Stradivarius in shorts.
...and a G string presumably?
 Anti inflammatories - Dog
Commando of course!
 Anti inflammatories - Roger.
Get yersen on Trammie, Bor !
(Tramadol Hydrochloride)
I've managed to persuade my GP to allow me 100 X 50mg tablet per month.
It can be addictive: it's effectiveness can diminish over time.
I, from time to time and to prove to ME that I can, stop taking it completely for around a week or so. It's not particularly pleasant stopping an opoid, but I control it: it does not control me.
 Anti inflammatories - Ted

I have suffered badly from Diabetic neuropathy in my tootsies for many years. Usually when I lie down. The doctor put me on Temgesic together with a tablet to stop me being sick. What fun ! I ended up getting hooked on the Temgesic and popping one if I felt a bit low. They had to be dissolved under the tongue. Eventually I went ' cold turkey ' and chucked them down the bog.

For over twenty years I've taken 2 510mg Co-Dydramol at bedtime plus 1 75mg Dothiepen Hydrochloride. This seems to work and I haven't felt addicted. I sometimes wake about 0300 hrs but taking two more Co-Dy lets me sleep ok 'til morning.
Latest Forum Posts