Non-motoring > help placing an accent Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 24

help placing an accent - sooty123
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09sqfww/inside-out-yorkshire-and-lincolnshire-26022018

At about 21 mins there's a group of men stopped and the presenter talks to them. Their accent i feel i should know and is familiar but for some reason I can't place it.

I'm sure someone on here will know it.
 help placing an accent - Bromptonaut
The hare cousers?

I'd guess somewhere on Northern/Western fringes of Lincolnshire but it's quite well suppressed, possibly because the group concerned all share a similar social background/upbringing?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 1 Mar 18 at 21:24
My original thought was Mansfield or worksop?
 help placing an accent - Manatee
Sounded a bit East Yorkshire at one point, but the diner in the background is at Long Sutton near Wisbech.
No its at holdingham roundabout at sleaford, you can see the maccy d's in the background.
>> No its at holdingham roundabout at sleaford, you can see the maccy d's in the
>> background.

So close to my 'fringes on lincs' estimate.

But there's something else present that's changing what would normally sound more obviously 'northern'.

Could be upbringing/education or else they're from somewhere else altogether and are only there for the hares.
> But there's something else present that's changing what would normally sound more obviously 'northern'.

Yes that's what I thought, it's like an accent I should know but subtlety different.

>> Could be upbringing/education or else they're from somewhere else altogether and are only there for
>> the hares.

Almost certainly, not popular in Lincolnshire itself but is in places like south Yorkshire. Nearly all those I'd bet would be from outside the local area.
Placing accents is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Being from the West Riding identifying south or north of Leeds etc isn't too difficult and neither is Manchester from further north towards Burnley/Blackburn but even then the SE Lancs/NE Cheshire bit round Ashton and Stalybridge can deceive.

At my paid work I'm dealing with people from outer east London round coast and Humber/Trent to North Nottinghamshire and back. Even locally there's a fair mix of people who've moved around for work.

Being able to recognise accents and comment along lines of 'you're not from there originally are you' is one amongst several tools one can use as an 'icebreaker' to turn what the other party might otherwise feel to be an interrogation into a conversation.

I really like that bit where I've got someone to relax and talk openly - It's what the job's about.

help placing an accent - Zero
Predominantly worksop, but they are not all from the same area, and one of at least has moved down from country durham at one stage in their lives.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 1 Mar 18 at 22:50
 help placing an accent - nice but dim
Zero might be on the ball there, sounds a bit Geordie to me.
Not quite Geordie but I did catch what sounded like Teeside, probably the bit that Zero heard.
It's a bit of an odd accent that's for sure.
 help placing an accent - Fullchat
This is a strange blend of North and East Yorkshire with a bit of Cleveland thrown in. Maybe East of York, Malton way on.

Listen to this guy, Jonny Milner ex British Rally Champion X 2. The Iplayer characters immediately reminded me of him. Only briefly talking to him a month ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccxG4moUtyc

Very similar accent. He's from the top end of rural East Yorkshire, South of Malton.
 help placing an accent - Roger.
Many years ago I was in the 5th./8th. Sherwood Foresters, TA. I lived in Nottingham at the time, but the drill hall of the company to which I was assigned was in Worksop.
(Never thought I'd end up living there, though!).
The private soldiers, at that time - the mid 1960s - were mostly mine workers.
Their accent was so broad that I, as a southerner, had real difficulty in understanding them sometimes.
I'd put the accent then, as being more aligned to South Yorkshire, rather than Nottinghamshire.
Interestingly, now that I'm living in the town, I'd say that the accent has softened considerably.
Perhaps the influence of TV?
Last edited by: Roger. on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 11:41
Definitely not Sheffield, Barnsley, Rotherham.

Yes regional accents are now very diluted. Compare vox pops from Leeds with those of 50, even 30 years ago and today's are full of whiny diphthongs that just weren't there before.
 help placing an accent - Harleyman

>> I'd put the accent then, as being more aligned to South Yorkshire, rather than Nottinghamshire.

It should be remembered that in many mining communities, there are North-East twangs as many miners moved around and brought their local accents with them; most noticeable today in places like Corby which is home to a lot of ex-pat Scots.

This lot sound North Notts to me, and I'm from mid-Nottinghamshire myself.
 help placing an accent - tyrednemotional
...there is still a large NE influence on the accent around the ex-Nottinghamshire coalfield.
 help placing an accent - Haywain
Apologies if this is Merseysideist but, watching Sky Sports, nothing grates quite like the voice of Jamie Carragher in full flow.
 help placing an accent - Clk Sec
Caan't beet a good Suffolk accent, Boy...
 help placing an accent - Haywain
"Caan't beet a good Suffolk accent, Boy..."

I like the Suffolk accent but, like other accents, it's being eroded. Time has largely taken away my Leics accent, though it returns when I go home.

Accents are catching - after 2 years in the Black Country, I found that I was picking up the local lingo and my nephew, who has spent the last 28 of his 48 years now sounds like a full-on Geordie.
 help placing an accent - Pat
>> though it returns when I go home.<<

Mine too, even when I'm talking on the phone to family there....why is that?

After 35 years in the Fen it is still home to me

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 14:57
 help placing an accent - BiggerBadderDave
"Mine too, even when I'm talking on the phone to family there....why is that?"

Happens to me. When I met my wife I had to deliberately speak slowly and enunciate clearly and I kind of stuck with it. But when I'm back in Manchester or chatting to my mates on the phone, she can't understand what I'm saying.
 help placing an accent - Roger.
I can tell the difference between a Cardiff accent and a Swansea accent, but not much more as far as South Walian speech is concerned.
My wife is Welsh, but you would only hear a Welsh accent if she was speaking, or listening to, other Welsh folk. I noticed it especially when she spoke to her mother on the phone
Pembrokeshire is divided historically by the Landsker line which roughly follows the route of the A40 road. South of the A40 is the Englishry, (South Pembrokeshire, aka Sir Benfro) where true native speech is much more aligned to broad Devonshire than Welsh.
North of the A40 is much more Welsh, with Welsh being spoken quite a lot, especially in rural hamlets and villages.
Sir Benfro is a part of Wales where the Welsh language on dual language road signs once was more likely to be defaced than the English portion!
 help placing an accent - rtj70
>> Cardiff accent and a Swansea accent

I'd say Cardiff and Swansea have quite different accents and the Welsh accent gets stronger the further west and north you go. I had a strong Welsh valleys accent when I got to Manchester as a student in 1989. I gradually changed and it's a bit Manchester I guess now. At times I say something that makes people realise I am Welsh in the way I occasionally pronounce things.

We had a lot of teachers with strong Welsh accents from all over Wales - but I did go to a Welsh bilingual school.
>> Mine too, even when I'm talking on the phone to family there....why is that?

My kids used to say I whipped out my West Riding accent after crossing the Yorkshire Frontier on Tinsley Viaduct.

A colleague 20yrs ago said he could tell if I was talking to members of the public etc from God's Own County.
Latest Forum Posts