Motoring Discussion > Nankang tyres - any experience? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 28

Nankang tyres - any experience? - Auntie Lockbrakes
I have taken the plunge in to the unknown... have ordered 2 Nankangs for the rear of my A1. Came recommended by my trusty local fitter.... Never heard of the brand before, but established way back in 1940 apparently.

Have I just signed my own death warrant?!

The not-cheap Bridgestones that I bought less than a year ago for the front have increased in price by 25% over the past year!!! Excessive. Cue those gags about tyre inflation...
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Videodoctor
I have these on my Mondeo and have found them to be as good as the Michelins they replaced.Noise and grip levels have been fine but i don't drive fast anyway.Recommended from me.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Old Navy
I have suspected that there are regional differences in tyre compounds. Having driven in some of the big countries I think their tyres are biased towards harder compounds and long life as opposed to European spec tyres which have a softer compound for better wet grip. Hot dry countries can have roads that feel like black ice when the first rain for months lifts the oil and rubber out of the road surface. I have no proof of different compounds but driving a couple of not well travelled Australian visitors quite sedately in the Scottish Highlands a few months ago in rain provoked a comment "Are the roads slippery" as a hint of concern about disappearing backwards into the scenery, to which I replied "They are never dry long enough to get greasy" and explained that your wet roads are like our ice and snow on the road! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 28 Sep 17 at 07:27
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - devonite
I had them on my Prelude, and found them very good and hard wearing, our roads up here are mainly Tar-sprayed with granite chippings which always seemed to rip miles off other brands!
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - hawkeye
We have 6 Nankang winter tyres in the garage. 2 for the fronts on my C8 and 4 for Mrs H's C3. I usually put them on in November and take them off in April. We both subjectively find a useful increase in grip in cold conditions.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Hard Cheese
>> 2 for the fronts on my C8
>>

So what goes on the back? Not summer tyres I hope ...
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - No FM2R
>>Not summer tyres I hope

Summer tyres? WTF are those?
>> >>Not summer tyres I hope
>>
>> Summer tyres? WTF are those?
>>

I was simply differentiating from winter tyres though it is a term used by the tyre companies, the tyres we mostly use year round in the UK would be called summer tyres in countries where winter tyres are mandatory during the winter months.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - hawkeye
Delinte DH2 mud & snow. Cheapest round black things the tyre man had in stock in my size. An unplanned un-budgeted purchase when the rear Michelins looked as if the tread was about to part company with the carcass. Sun damage I presumed. Both with 4-5mm measured; nearly broke my heart.

I don't think the stability control program worries about what tyres are on front and back; it just does its best. It's chipped in a few times over the years enabling me to drive away from the scene of a potential loss of paint.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Manatee
No knowledge of Nankang, I just wouldn't put different tyres on front and back.

I have seen comments to the effect that they are better than the average ditchfinder and stand comparison with medium range tyres. I have heard good things about Landsail too, from people I know.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Fullchat
I would have put Nexen tyres in the cheap Chinese 'ditch finder' class however Kia fit them as standard equipment out of the factory. Just replaced a couple and have no complaints.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Lygonos
Pretty sure Nexen are in the S.Korean batch along with Hankook and Kumho.

Plenty of performance cars seem to come with Hankooks these days.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Fullchat
I stand corrected :). All brands that are now fitted by manufacturers.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Fenlander
Things have changed over the past two decades with these names that were new to us folks raised on "proper" Dunlop, Michelin, Goodyear etc.

Hankook have become a premium performing brand, Nexen mid range, Nankang upper budget, Kumho have crawled out of the gutter to gain decent reviews in some types and so on.

I still have serious reservations about Sunnday, Landfill, Kimjongs, Sailaway, Luckyface and the like. From 70mph on a wet road some of these ultra budgets can take 6 car lengths extra to stop than the best premium tyres.
Falken are premium in Germany, Japan etc and very good value here where they are priced as mid range.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Dog
>>I still have serious reservations about Sunnday, Landfill, Kimjongs, Sailaway, Luckyface and the like. From 70mph on a wet road some of these ultra budgets can take 6 car lengths extra to stop than the best premium tyres.

And that's precisely why I wouldn't have them on any car of mine
>> >>I still have serious reservations about Sunnday, Landfill, Kimjongs, Sailaway, Luckyface and the like. From
>> 70mph on a wet road some of these ultra budgets can take 6 car lengths
>> extra to stop than the best premium tyres
>>
>> And that's precisely why I wouldn't have them on any car of mine
>>

Problem with that is the car behind you on Singalongamax tyres can't stop a well as your Supersticky specials. It all depends which end you want smashed, expensive engine or empty boot. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 29 Sep 17 at 17:45
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - CGNorwich
Interesting comparison of stopping distances by brand.www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Autobild-50-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm

I do like the fact that "Infinity" brand were third from bottom!
>>Interesting comparison of stopping distances by brand.www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Autobild-50-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm

I see the Runway Enduro tyres came in at 40th - I had those on my Subaru when I bought it.
They were brand new, I ditched them for Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme and sold the ditchfinders to the chap who empties my sceptic tank :)
>>Problem with that is the car behind you on Singalongamax tyres can't stop a well as your Supersticky specials. It all depends which end you want smashed, expensive engine or empty boot. :-)

I don't mind so much my car taking a hit so long as me and mine, surrounded by crumple zones and bags of air are okay.
Hancook have a pretty good reputation these days.

Son had Jingus (spellin' ?) on the front of his Clio III 1.2t and Barums on the rear, the rears needed changing and although the fronts had a lot of tread we did not much faith in the Jingus (it felt skittish compared to the Contis on our old Clio III 2.0) so we put four Avons on it and it's transformed, much more grip and feel.
Who owns the brands.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies
Quick side question for Manatee if I may: what tyres are on your Outlander? Ours is coming up 3 years old and 24,000 miles, still a few months tread left to go, but will change them before the next antipodean winter. Forgotten what brand they are, specially made for the Outlander so the hype said. Pretty underwhelmed by their grip levels tbh...
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Manatee
They are Toyo R37. I haven't noticed any problems, it seems to go where I point it and I can usually shake off a tailgater at a roundabout:)
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - DP
The Nankang NS2R is generally very highly regarded as a track day tyre.
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Bobby
>>No knowledge of Nankang, I just wouldn't put different tyres on front and back.

Why not? What difference does it make if the squiggly line in the front tyres is a different squiggly line from the rear tyres?
Cheers Manatee. Yes, mine are Toyo as well. A24s. M+S designation. Plenty of tread on the rears so I guess I will be stuck with them awhile!
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - Focal Point
I had never heard of Toyo tyres until I bought the CX-5 in the summer. Apparently they are original equipment. (225/55 R19)

Having noticed that the fronts didn't have a lot of wear left, I shopped around for alternatives and was advised that the extra cost of, for example, Michelins, would not translate into that greater mileage and that Toyos are probably the best value. Certainly their ratings for wear and noise seem OK and the grip seems fine to me.

It does surprise me that at 20,000 miles the fronts were that worn, but apparently that's par for the course.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Sat 30 Sep 17 at 11:15
 Nankang tyres - any experience? - cosec
I have Toyos on my Outlander PHEV. Just changed all 4 at a mileage of 44k from new. Never had a set of tyres last that long. I don't drive overly fast but even so I thought that mileage was excellent for such a big heavy car.
Latest Forum Posts