Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Reversing light switch sticking? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 6

Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Reversing light switch sticking? - Haywain
I noticed earlier today that the reversing lights were switched on when the Astra was in gear and moving forward; they went out when the ignition was switched off. My assumption is that the switch attached to the gearbox is sticking.

I understand that reversing lights are not an MoT-able item so I am prepared to wait a few months until the car goes in for its next service before I can get it fixed but, in the meantime, I need to somehow inactivate those lamps. What would be the best way to do this?

I could take the bulbs out, but it might be easier if I could simply take the fuse out, though the snag with that is that the owner's manual does not identify which fuse is the appropriate one.

Anyone got any ideas?

Oh yes, something else - would the removal of a couple of bulbs or the fuse (if I could find it) upset the rest of the canbus electrics?

Many thanks H

Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Reversing light switch sticking? - Bromptonaut
Sticky switch in gearbox or canbus problem is most likely but another possibility is current, stopped from finding it's designed path to earth, is using the reversing bulbs as an alternative route.
 Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Reversing light switch sticking? - VxFan
Just disconnect the wires from the switch on the gearbox. That way it won't put up any bulb warning failures (if that feature is fitted) on the dash if you were to remove the bulbs.

They might not be even protected by a fuse, but through the REC (Rear Electronic Centre, which is part of the CanBus network) instead, which I believe the tails lights go through instead of fuses.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 21 Jun 17 at 01:39
 Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Reversing light switch sticking? - carmalade
Interestingly,for such a simple car,the reverse light circuit is not that simple.The reverse switch on the gearbox puts the circuit to earth,which in turn signals the front underbonnet electric centre.This then puts a signal on the network to the rear electric module,(if fitted) to bring on the reverse lights.Very likely to be a switch fault.Probably easier to remove the bulbs.
Thanks very much for the replies ......... it looks like an intermittent fault caused by a sticking switch......

I took a look under the bonnet this morning after the car had been standing on the drive all night. It was as crowded as London under there and there was no way that I was going to be able to get at anything from the top.

I had decided that I'd call in at my local indie later this morning and, for the meantime, I stuck a patch of silver gaffa tape over the reversing light areas on the clusters. Then, when I switched the ignition on - the lights were out - the switch must have freed itself overnight. I engaged reverse - the lights came on .......... I disengaged reverse - the lights went out. The switch now appears to be working fine.

Is it something to do with the engine being hot/cold??? Anyway, I'll leave that gaffa tape in place for a while and keep an eye on things.
 Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Reversing light switch sticking? - VxFan
Sometimes the CanBus system can get its knickers in a twist and simply leaving it overnight or a reboot (i.e. disconnect battery for 30 mins) can clear problems.
"Sometimes the CanBus system can get its knickers in a twist............."

My wife borrowed the Astra yesterday and I was only able to see the problem with the reversing lights as she drove down the road. Mrs H is always bad-mouthing the poor car (too slow, too uncomfortable, drives like a tank etc) - maybe it was simply showing its disapproval of her? ;-)
Latest Forum Posts