Motoring Discussion > Airport parking charges. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 77

Airport parking charges. - Roger.
What a rip-off.
2 hours 18 minutes at Leeds Bradford cost us £15 today when dropping off our grandchildren for a flight to Belfast for half term holiday.
As they were travelling as unaccompanied minors (£39 each child in fees) we were completely in the hands of FlyBe's staff as to when we could hand them over to go flightside, so the time element was outside our control.
We are also picking them up on the return trip , but we at least can time our arrival to reasonably coincide with the flight's arrival.
 Airport parking charges. - rtj70
Is there a pre-book parking option? We went to London recently (at the weekend mind) and pre-booking parking meant we could get up to 24 hour for £6. I booked for longer than we needed... and our return journey took over 2.5 hours extra. So parking was still £6 thankfully.
 Airport parking charges. - bathtub tom
I got compensation from FlyBe for a more than 3 hour delay - 250 Euros.

You can always hope for similar to pay for the parking!
We got all £20 refunded automatically by Virgin Trains for the delayed return journey (£10 each ticket). Parking was going to be £6 even if I got back 12 hours late. I booked it for 23 hours knowing/hoping I'd be back long before then ;-)
 Airport parking charges. - legacylad
Roger, LBA have only recently put up signage for the 'one hour free' parking area. It's been available for a while, but not publicised, and no mention of it on the LBA website.
When you collect the grandchildren, there are plenty of places off site to watch aircraft land. Once touched down, drive to the 'one hour free' parking place and from there it is only a 10 minute stroll, probably less, to the terminal.
Otherwise the robbers charge £3 just to drop off/pick up, even if you are only there 30 seconds!
I'm always taking & collecting friends from LBA, and flying from there myself (12 so far this year) if you need any info email me.
And if you track the flight you know when to leave home to go to the airport.
>> And if you track the flight you know when to leave home to go to
>> the airport.
>>
Yes: I tracked departure tonight and FlyBe took off a hour late, but at least we were nearly home by then. The children had a long wait though!
PS - They HATED being ae to wear FlyBe blue tabards and having their fight paperwork and passports hung round their necks in a plastic wallet. So demeaning,at 13 and 10, don't you know? :-)
Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 21 Oct 16 at 23:24
 Airport parking charges. - Slidingpillar
PS - They HATED being ae to wear FlyBe blue tabards and having their fight paperwork and passports hung round their necks in a plastic wallet. So demeaning,at 13 and 10, don't you know? :-)

Not surprised, I'd have hated it at that age too.
>> And if you track the flight you know when to leave home to go to
>> the airport.
>>

..........in a perfect world!
The trip up the A1 and A1M to school was a nightmare this afternoon. Nose to tail jams, just from so much traffic - not from incidents.
Even coming back at 9pm the northbound carriageways were at a standstill for long stretches.
Southbound, for us, was fine, thank goodness.
Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 21 Oct 16 at 23:29
Thanks for the offer. Legacy Lad.
Collection trip isfFirst leg is Worksop to LBA, then to Thorpe Underwood and back to Worksop.
We don't mind doing it, but I hate being ripped off.
Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 21 Oct 16 at 23:17
Excellent point rtj.
Slight thread drift, but I have the Flightradar app on my phone & tablet. I live under the LHR N America flight path in rural N Yorks and can distinguish between large & smaller jets as they climb to their cruising altitudes.
There is a very nice fish & chip restaurant less than one mile away.... It's called Murgatroyds. The Hawthorne Farm eatery adjacent to LBA by the roundabout is a typical carvery place. Ok for cheap bfast before 11am. Not recommended for anything else.
I have the same app on my phone. Useful to check when your homeward bound flight is due when abroad.

The icons for large and small planes differ. And I was surprised to see a helicopter on the app once earlier this year on Sicily.
 Airport parking charges. - sooty123
As if another reason was needed to avoid leeds Bradford airport, awful place to get in and out of.
My local airport. 50 mins away, only 60 in rush hour. Once the early morning flights are departed, from arriving the airport to clearing security takes me 10 mins ( not exaggerating).
Off site parking... I use Sentinel & Park2Travel which has an undercover option, is literally minutes away. Camden Food Co, before the duty free area, has decent bacon baps and a view over the runway from the bar stools by the window.
Early morning it's a zoo with lots of holiday flights departing... Crowded & noisy, which is why I always lurk at the Camden food place which is slightly more civilised, away from the 7am lager drinkers!
 Airport parking charges. - Mike Hannon
I had to pick up a friend from Bristol Airport when in the UK recently. What a place that is now. I remember when it was a shed and a runway, in a location once used by the RAF for training because of its well-known fog problems.
Anyway, did my best to time my arrival at the drop off/pick-up zone parking area, which has number plate recognition cameras and card only payment. There was a slight delay with luggage or something and on return to the car park I saw a sign that said as I had been there just over 40 minutes the charge would be £22 (as I remember it). My gast was completely flabbered but I wrote it off as one of the joys of life in the UK.
But Bristol airport's scameras are not yet clever enough to read French number plates. Price displayed and charged to my debit card - £1. Result. Choke on that you airport operator numpties.
 Airport parking charges. - Duncan
>> as I had been there just over 40 minutes the charge would be
>> £22 (as I remember it).
>> But Bristol airport's scameras are not yet clever enough to read French number plates. Price
>> displayed and charged to my debit card - £1. Result. Choke on that you airport
>> operator numpties.

airport operator numpties?

A bit harsh - what!

You could have had an hours parking in the short stay car park for a fiver:-

www.bristolairport.co.uk/parking/short-stay-and-pick-up-car-park
 Airport parking charges. - mikeyb
>> I had to pick up a friend from Bristol Airport when in the UK recently.
>> What a place that is now. I remember when it was a shed and a
>> runway, in a location once used by the RAF for training because of its well-known
>> fog problems.

Yes, its my local. Its not a bad airport to use, but very expensive. Its often cheaper to drive to LHR / LGW.

You used to be allowed 10 mins free in the drop off zone but they stopped that about a year ago
>> My local airport. 50 mins away, only 60 in rush hour.

I know it's convenient for some, but when I lived in west yorks it was a pita to get to. nearly always quicker and easier to get to Manchester airport. I did go through lba but avoided it if at all possible. Nearly everyone i knew in the area did the same. Nothing the airport can do it's just in a rubbish location.

> away from the 7am lager drinkers
>>

Guilty as charged, only once or twice mind!
When I lived in the Bingley & Keighley areas it was only a 30 min drive around Ilkley Moor, but in those years Jet2 probably hadn't been born, so it was Easyjet from MAN or LPool. MAN is only just over an hour away from where I live now, but busier heavily trafficked roads with far more chance of delays & roadworks. I even used to stay overnight in some cheap hovel before flying rather than risk missing a morning flight, which happened twice, and it reduced the stress levels.
Nowadays, Jet2 from LBA gets me virtually anywhere I want in Europe and the 06:15 KLM flight to AMS is just perfect for when I sponge off my USA friends....3 flights and I can be in their hot tub, margerita in hand, by 17:30 local time
 Airport parking charges. - Mike Hannon
>>You could have had an hours parking in the short stay car park for a fiver<<

A fiver? For an hour? What's it got - fitted carpet?
Yes. Shaft pile.
busier heavily trafficked roads with far more chance of delays & roadworks.
>>

That's what i found going to LBA, but i was coming from south of Leeds. Since i found out man airport has its own train station i use that as its a complete doddle 40 mins and a flight of stairs and your there. Not that much quicker in the grand scheme of things but at least you weren't nose to tail in grinding traffic through Leeds.
It does seem to have a small catchment area where it's convenient to use, but if like you LL your in it , it's spot on.
From my home to LBA, about 30/35 miles, there are only three sets of traffic lights to negotiate. All in Ilkley, so no problem. Several Pelican crossings. And 2 miles of dual carriageway...the burley in wharfedale bypass. The rest is lightly trafficked A road.
I used to be surprised by the number of people from NE England using LBA, but having spoken to lots of them on flights, their alternative is Edinburgh.... They all try to avoid MAN and Teeside ( if still operating) has very limited services.
I think that's the catchment area, it's much easier coming from the north of leeds than the south of it. Yes the ne does seem to miss out on a decent airport, surprised they avoid man although it is a bit further away.
Yes Durham airport is small, i thought it was quiet in 2006 when i was coming back on a charter from the middle east and then it was 'busy' it must be a ghost town now.
 Airport parking charges. - Bill Payer
For work, I often have to pick up and drop off people I'm taking to visit customers from various airports and it's become a right pain.

Oddly one of the easiet places is Heathrow - I was recently able to wait for quite while at the drop-off area while someone found me, and, unlike many airports, they don't charge either.

US airports generally have "cell-phone" parking lots, where you can wait until called.
We have decided to do next Sunday's pickup from LBA by going via the A1 & A1M, leaving at J47 and turning left. That route was straightforward enough last Friday.
J47 is our usual turn off, but to the right over the A1M, so it's a simple retracing of the route for delivery.
Are there any decent lay-bys close to the airport road turn-off where we can linger until the flight arrival is nigh?
 Airport parking charges. - Bromptonaut
If I were doing that on a Sunday I'd go M1/M621, straight through centre of Leeds onto A65 then right at Rawdon traffic lights onto A658 Harrogate Rd for last couple of miles. But that might be based on my rose tinted specs as to current traffic conditions. A1(M) junction 45 then via Collingham/Harewood/Pool is another possibility

Yeadon Cemetry goo.gl/maps/3jsQdyBFv4q tends to be a gathering space for spotters etc and should be an easy place to wait until flight has landed.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 23 Oct 16 at 19:48
There is parking for several cars by the junction of Haw Lane & Cemetery Rd, and a great view of the runway. Warren House lane has a few lay byes as does Harrogate Road (A58?) on the Hgate side. Or just park in the Travelodge car park ( no airport views as lower) but it is very close the the free one hour parking entrance.
Many thanks to all who replied with helpful suggestions :-)
 Airport parking charges. - BrianByPass
>> Roger, LBA have only recently put up signage for the 'one hour free' parking area.
>> It's been available for a while, but not publicised, and no mention of it on
>> the LBA website.
>>

They must have updated website after reading your post:
www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/airport-parking/free-one-hour-parking-zone

Drop-off at Heathrow & Gatwick are free but you are not officially allowed to pick-up from the drop-off zone. If you drive to the terminal drop-off zone, you risk being ticketed unless you get your passenger in the car and drive off immediately. However, you can get up to two hours free in a designated long term car park.

At Birmingham, the"drop & go" zones have a minimum charge of £1 for 10 minutes.
 Airport parking charges. - Clk Sec
www.honestjohn.co.uk/reader-offers-and-prizes/reader-offers/purple-parking-reader-offer/
Similarly, drop off at Manchester airport is free. Pick-up requires parking and is not.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 23 Oct 16 at 18:55
 Airport parking charges. - Mike H
>> What a rip-off.

The lack of "ripping-off" is what I notice here in Austria. First 20 minutes at Salzburg airport is free, then €1.90 for the next hour. At Linz airport, 2 hours free!

And the main shopping complex is completely free, while the (McArthur Glen) outlet centre near Salzburg airport is free for the first two hours.
 Airport parking charges. - Stuartli
Even if you just stop at John Lennon Airport, Liverpool for a minute or two you are charged.

An airport I'm very happy to leave out of my departure or arrival plans - Manchester is far superior in every way.
>> Manchester is far superior in every way.

So's Manchester airport.
>>>> So's Manchester airport.>>

Simple plane talking on your part presumably?
 Airport parking charges. - CGNorwich
Salzburg handles around 1.8 million passengers a year. Linz handles around half a million passengers a year. Leeds Bradford handles around three and a half million, seven times what Linz has to deal with.
 Airport parking charges. - Dulwich Estate II
Having travelled around a bit in Europe, USA, OZ, NZ it's very apparent that the UK has a near monopoly on rip-off parking charges just about anywhere.

Many, many places abroad don't charge or don't charge much and often have the first 20 mins / 1 hour etc. free.

For example we drove some 3000 miles around New Zealand a year or two back, visited all the usual tourist places (as you do) and didn't once come across the need to pay.

Rip-Off Britain alright !
But there is nobody in New Zealand so lots of free car parking space. We have 60 odd million people in a small island with sky high land values. On top of that we have cash strapped councils with very few ways of raising extra revenue, car park charges being one of them.
 Airport parking charges. - Dulwich Estate II
What about The National Trust ? It seems anywhere with a coastal view has a car park with a charge too.

I typically linger 10 minutes or so and move on - too mean to pay!
All our council parks have just gone free, including our village car park
Used to be free for the first two hours, no coastal view though.
>> All our council parks have just gone free, including our village car park

The main multi-storey car parks in Northampton have gone to pay on foot rather than pay/display. Now first two hours are free weekdays as is all day weekends. This morning barriers were open at 08:30, apparently to encourage attendance at the St Crispin Street Fair.

Trying to hear people on the phone over the din by late afternoon was a struggle but it provides a huge surge for town centre businesses.
> The main multi-storey car parks in Northampton have gone to pay on foot rather than pay/display.

What does pay on foot mean ? Not heard that phrase before.

Now first two hours are free

That's what ours used to be, however you did have to get a ticket to prove your arrival time. Apparently it wasn't worth charging anymore, as virtually everyone stayed less than two hours.
>> What does pay on foot mean ? Not heard that phrase before.

Airport type system. Instead of buying/displaying a time limited ticket you collect a ticket on entry and keep it with you. When ready to leave you proceed on foot to payment point where you put ticket in machine, pay for elapsed time and have 10mins or whatever within which to leave.

Works fine at shopping centres. OK at airports where mix of domestic/international and hand/hold baggage together with solo traveller v meet greet smooths out flows.

NBG at commuter rail stations where 400 people on the 18:15 arrival arrive at pay station en masse.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 24 Oct 16 at 22:07
> Airport type system. Instead of buying/displaying a time limited ticket you collect a ticket on
>> entry and keep it with you.

Yes our local hospital uses that. Not sure why that's the name of it though, pay on exit would make more sense.
>>Yes our local hospital uses that. Not sure why that's the name of it though, pay on exit would make more sense.>>

Same in the case of our local hospitals. Pay on foot means, in this case, that you collect a ticket on entering the car park and, before you leave, pay the required parking charge by inserting the ticket in one of a number of machines in the hospital or its grounds and inserting coins or notes.

You retain the ticket which is then used to raise the barrier at a car park exit.

As far as I'm aware, pay on exit has the same meaning in that the parking charge is calculated using the ticket by a payment machine based on the time since first using a car park. Literally paying on exit would presumably involve a manned payment station, which would increase operating costs.

In both cases a short period of time is allowed to reach your car and exit the car park without incurring a penalty charge.

. Pay on foot means, in this case,
>> that you collect a ticket on entering the car park and, before you leave, pay
>> the required parking charge by inserting the ticket in one of a number of machines
>> in the hospital or its grounds and inserting coins or notes.
>>
>> You retain the ticket which is then used to raise the barrier at a car
>> park exit.

I know how it, just the phrase doesn't make a great deal of sense.
>>I know how it, just the phrase doesn't make a great deal of sense. >>

It does in that you are not in your vehicle when paying the parking charge...:-) Pay on exit could mean either that or at the barrier.
> It does in that you are not in your vehicle when paying the parking charge...:-)

Well you aren't in your vehicle when you buy your ticket at the beginning in a car park where you have to pre buy your desired time.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 25 Oct 16 at 17:15
>> Well you aren't in your vehicle when you buy your ticket at the beginning in
>> a car park where you have to pre buy your desired time.

Northampton Council use the term here:

www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200072/parking/1106/parking-charges

(see payment methods)

IIRC it was also used when a similar system was installed at Northampton Station in late nineties. Lasted about 6 months before reverting o pay and display after near mutiny at ticket machine/barrier queues in evening peak.

They were told it wouldn't work but apparently it as fine at National Express's airports and bosses thought stations were no different.
Northampton Council use the term here:
>>
>> www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200072/parking/1106/parking-charges

I'm sure they do, just seems a pretty rubbish choice of phrase.
>>Well you aren't in your vehicle when you buy your ticket at the beginning in a car park where you have to pre buy your desired time. >>

True, but they are the type I and many others where I live avoid using such car parks as even a moment or two over time can lead to very expensive parking fines....:-(

At least if you pay on foot/exit, you don't risk such hefty parking fines.
 Airport parking charges. - Crankcase
>> All our council parks have just gone free, including our village car park
>> Used to be free for the first two hours, no coastal view though.
>>

Meanwhile, and inevitably, the price creeps up in Cambridge. Grand Arcade - latest plan is a price increase to £26 for five hours.

Plenty of people are unhappy about that, but of course, the queues don't get any shorter, so why would they do anything BUT keep putting the prices up?
> Meanwhile, and inevitably, the price creeps up in Cambridge. Grand Arcade - latest plan is a price increase to £26 for five hours.
>>
>> Plenty of people are unhappy about that, but of course, the queues don't get any shorter, so why would they do anything BUT keep putting the prices up?

I wonder how high prices would have to be to reduce the numbers of people parking?
 Airport parking charges. - Manatee

>> Meanwhile, and inevitably, the price creeps up in Cambridge. Grand Arcade - latest plan is
>> a price increase to £26 for five hours.

I wouldn't use it anyway, but to put that in context it is a kind of overstay charge and a fairer one that the usual PCNs, as it is cheaper and fairer in that the high rate starts after 3 hours (it's a short stay car park) and escalates, and is also linked to the likely demand - it's cheaper on weekdays, and runs at a constant £2 per hour on Sundays.

The £26 is for over 5 hours between 9am-5pm on Saturdays. <1hour costs £2.60, <2hours £5.10, <3hours £7.60. Then it starts to go up - <4hours £11.70, <5hours £20.50, >5hours £26.

I couldn't have designed it better myself, other than by designing a car park of adequate size of course, but that is clearly not the business Cambridge is in.

The last time I went there, for a SIM adaptor, I borrowed my daughter's bike.
 Airport parking charges. - Crankcase

>> The last time I went there, for a SIM adaptor, I borrowed my daughter's bike.
>>

Didn't that make the phone a trifle unwieldy?
 Airport parking charges. - Ted

Anyone here flying out of Man is welcome to leave a car chez moi. I have plenty of parking space. I can either run you to the airport or there's a tram stop 200 yds away with trams right into the terminals. Just email me as in profile.
What a lovely kind thing to say Ted. Bless you.
well joinn the Trust then. Free parking is included in the membership.
Not if the council owns the car park, i know the last couple of NT the council owned (and charged for) the car parking.
OK free Parking at most National Trust properties whihc is still a good deal.
Unlike English Heritage who seem to have your trousers off at every opportunity, and IMO piddle the money away on daft things.
Not the cheapest, but I suppose all those old houses aren't cheap.
I alway think its a bit of a bargain - around £35 I think for unlimited admission into all their properties. I'm not sure what daft things they do but they do a lot of good work. well worht supporting

I think it's a bit more, we looked at it this year but wasn't worth it.
Yes you are right it's £52. Must check the direct debits more often. These things do mount up - National Trust, English Heritage, RSPB, Norfolk Wildlife Trust and Suffolk Wildlife Trust
The National Trust looks after the Victoria Road, Formby squirrel reserve and surrounding area and charges a fortune to park there, yet the rest of the coastline in the area is looked after by Sefton MBC.

Never really understood why the NT is involved to such a large extent.....
>> well joinn the Trust then. Free parking is included in the membership.
>>
Blooming expensive for a couple's membership, these days.
 Airport parking charges. - mikeyb
>> >> well joinn the Trust then. Free parking is included in the membership.
>> >>
>> Blooming expensive for a couple's membership, these days.
>>

We pay about £100 a year for family membership and get good value out of it.

The nearest house to us is about 4 or 5 miles away so we often pop in for an hour or two just to go for a walk around the grounds. They've just added a good kids play area and kids den building area in the woods, and entry for us would be about £50 each time
Heck. £100 a year. Glad I can go for a walk in the Dales for nowt from my front door. Lots of hills for kids to roll down, chase hard boiled eggs, sheep to creep up on. Savaged by Border Collies.
Lots of kids swings in local woods. It's a SSSI but we don't tell them!
No disrespect mikeyb but I'm so glad to live where I do. The last organisation I paid money to be a member of was the YHA forty + years ago... That's a lie. Just remembered I paid Camra subs until they finished 'Spoons vouchers.

I was a trust park warden for several years10 years ago or so. In the case of 'my ' stately home, the manager was only interested in making money. He was a ' fine arts ' man and showed no interest in how the park or the estate outside the park was run. A boy was killed when a Beech tree fell and he and the trust very nearly faced a corporate manslaughter charge.

Since seeing how they operate I haven't stepped over a Trust threshold since.
That must have been the Dunham Massey one. There was another fatality at Felbrigg more recently.

We visit a lot of NT properties, often for walks. We get great value from it. The volunteers are an invaluable asset.

But you can't tell the Trust anything. It's a bit like trying to reason with the Caravan Club, for whose staff the organisation's existence is also an end in itself. I mean the Head Offices, not the warders wardens, or in the case of the Trust the volunteers, who are mostly fantastic.

With you there, Dugong with both the trust and the CC. Warders get apoplectic if you don't put your jockey wheel in the middle of the designated spot !

At Dunham, Lord Stamford's Morris 10/4 tourer has stood for years on axle stands. I offered to get it running and tested at no cost to the trust....my offer wasn't declined...it was simply ignored !
That's just pig ignorant...
Thanks to Bromptonaut for the tip about the cemetery We used that today - just as well, as the flight was over an hour late in arriving. We, of course, were 45 minutes early, too.
I used a flight arrival app specifically "tuned" for LBA, so was able to time our entrance to the 1 hour free parking pretty well. It's a haul to the terminal from there, though.
As an aside, while the first hour is free, anything over that is charged at an initial thirty quid !!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, when we first arrives at LBA, SWMBO needed the loo, so we were forced to use the collect/drop off car park, which is quite close to the terminal. At three quid minimum charge, it was a very expensive way to spend a penny :-)
Thanks for the info re the £30 fee. I never realised it was so much.
Don't forget Murgatroyds fish restaurant next time!
 Airport parking charges. - Old Navy
I met Mrs ON about 48 times over a two year period on her return flight into Edinburgh. I would watch the flight departure time and progress at home, drive to the airport, park alongside the runway behind the Royal Showground at Ingleston, watch her plane land and taxi to the terminal, drive round and pick her up in the (then free) drop off zone.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 31 Oct 16 at 08:16
Latest Forum Posts