Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - VW Tiguan - New Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 13

Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - VW Tiguan - New - rtj70
What is the legroom like? I know there might be an XL later.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - VW Tiguan - New - Tigger
Don't know. I went into the VW showroom to have a look, but the salesman couldn't tell me what the kerbweight was, so I couldn't work out if it would be a safe match for my 1550Kg caravan.

When he moved on to sneering at me for wanting to know the kerbweight, then a group of the other salesmen came up and they were belittling me (an caravanners in general) for being cautious. I left before I got over-angry and bought a Kia instead.

Daft thing is, if they'd have been less arrogant and superior, I'd have been happy to look at a Toureg if the Tiguan wasn't heavy enough.
Last edited by: Tigger on Wed 7 Sep 16 at 05:59
Arrogant VW salesmen. The answer if they didn't know it was in the brochure - you'd hope.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Tiguan was a similar weight to the original. The new one uses the MQB platform which is lighter.

If it ever gets here (originally aimed at China) there's going to be a long wheelbase Tiguan XL.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - VW Tiguan - New - madf
I have an acquaintance who used to have a Tigwan..His stories of VW dealers was enough to dissuade me for life.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - VW Tiguan - New - Bill Payer
>> Don't know. I went into the VW showroom to have a look, but the salesman
>> couldn't tell me what the kerbweight was, so I couldn't work out if it would
>> be a safe match for my 1550Kg caravan.
>>
>> When he moved on to sneering at me for wanting to know the kerbweight, then
>> a group of the other salesmen came up and they were belittling me (an caravanners
>> in general) for being cautious.

I hate VW dealers, but we do have Tiguan ("old" model) and a Golf as I think the cars are pretty good. So would never defend a VW dealer but Tiguans are very popular amongst caravan owners so I'm somewhat surprised at the dealers attitude and that the information isn't readilly available.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - VW Tiguan - New - No FM2R
>>I hate VW dealers.........

I had a Phaeton. I found the VW dealer excellent. Sales were really helpful when I bought it. And the after sales for the three years I owned it was absolutely superb. That included normal service and maintenance, some warranty work, and an awful lot of dumb ass questions from me.

As I recall I used them in Reading, Oxford, Milton Keynes and Aylesbury.

I know everybody's experience varies, but given how many people complain about VW, I am surprised that my experience was so different.
>> That included normal service and maintenance, some warranty work, and an awful lot
>> of dumb ass questions from me.

Where you paying for the work or was it on a service contract? Every interaction with VW dealers I feel they're trying to screw me.

Visit at VW dealer for Tiguan's first service a couple of weeks resulted in them messing up the service indicator reset and questions about the DPF and AdBlue were responded to with answers that were just nonsense. I suppose if I didn't know they were nonsense then I might have been happy.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - VW Tiguan - New - No FM2R
It was a private outright purchase. It did come with servicing included in the deal. Or most of the servicing cost, anyway. The warranty work was absolutely quibble free and the one time I called their breakdown service out to a puncture that worked very well indeed.

Always with courtesy cars at no cost, car delivery and collection, etc etc. I can't really think of anything they did wrong. I was always impressed although sometimes I think mine is the only good experience I ever hear of.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - VW Tiguan - New - mikeyb

>> I know everybody's experience varies, but given how many people complain about VW, I am
>> surprised that my experience was so different.
>>

My experience with VW was pretty good - my nearest dealer was poor - had a poor reputation, and this was backed up by their attempt to sell me a car. Moved on to the next nearest and they were really good, and never pushed to upsell at service time, and offered better service than the 2 Lexus dealers I have used recently
>> What is the legroom like? I know there might be an XL later.
>>
We have the old model and legroom seems at least adequate, perhaps generous even.

To be fair, it does rather depend on how far the front seats are slid back and which position the back seat is in.

VW seems to be saying the won't sell Tiquan XL in Europe and as it's 7 seater that might not help anayway. Skoda Kodiak just coming out is pretty well the same thing and might be worth a look.

Looked at the review of the Kodiaq in this week's AutoExpress earlier today. A big car. It's available as 5 and 7 seater models. Middle row will slide.

I'm not sure about emissions for the engine/gearbox choices - seem a little high.
 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV - VW Tiguan - New - Crankcase
Didn't I see somewhere there was going to be a PHEV version of the Kodiak?
>> Looked at the review of the Kodiaq in this week's AutoExpress earlier today. A big
>> car. It's available as 5 and 7 seater models. Middle row will slide.
>>
Sounds perfect...

>> I'm not sure about emissions for the engine/gearbox choices - seem a little high.
>>
...but every time you drive it, some kittens will die.
>> ...but every time you drive it, some kittens will die.

I'm thinking of the tax based on emissions (BIK). Plenty of kittens in Greece.
Latest Forum Posts