Motoring Discussion > Admiral upping Insurance costs Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 15

Admiral upping Insurance costs - Falkirk Bairn
Admiral warns that cost of car insurance in Britain will rise further in 2010
Last week RBS announced Direct Line, Churchill & GreenFlag lost £130m

Looks like your car policy is going up over the next 12 mths.

My own Policy with e-sure rose from £121 to £139 in February.............their renewal note said £162 but gocompare.co.uk gave the same cover with the same company for £139 and they matched their own quote.
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - Fenlander
Is that TPF&T or comp? Seems cheap.
£139 Comprehensive, Gp 15, low risk area, 12 yr old however.
I am £175 Fully Comp for a 3 yr old Xtrail, 2 x drivers only.
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - oilburner
For all the insurance companies talk of targeting high risk customers by address, driving history, NCB, insurance grouping etc etc, why is it that when these companies make these losses they punish *all* of us, not just the ones that are actually costing them the money?

Or is this just a symptom of the cost of the ambulance chasers finally having a serious effect?
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - RattleandSmoke
Mine will almost double from October to about £1100 but I am hoping a change of address my help a little bit.

I would simply charge footballers a 2500 times more because its people like that cause the risk. If I crash into Gordon Brown and he brakes a leg he can still work, if I crash into Rooney then he can't work and the claim will end up into the millions.

Admiral upping Insurance costs - crocks
Then I suggest you aim for Gordon Brown. :-)
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - RattleandSmoke
Yeah it might help the country too! Sorry your honour I was worried about the national debt so i decided to help the problem.
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - Bill Payer
My daughter just renewed with Bell, which is Adnmiral in another name.

She's a year older (24) and an extra years NCB than least year, otherwise everything same. Last year was £300 and this year £380. Even getting that required cancelling the existing policy and buying a new on on line - cheapest they would do on the renewal line as over £400.

One really bizzare thing that I was tipped off about elsewhere, is that Admiral and their group companies quote lower if the car is left on the road than if it's on the drive!
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - crocks
>> One really bizzare thing that I was tipped off about elsewhere is that Admiral and
>> their group companies quote lower if the car is left on the road than if
>> it's on the drive!

So if I tell them my car is kept on the road and it is stolen from the drive will they refuse to pay out?
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - Bill Payer
>> So if I tell them my car is kept on the road and it is
>> stolen from the drive will they refuse to pay out?
>>
I hope not!

It does say "where is the car usually kept", and daughter does sometimes leave the car on the road.

It does seem very strange though. In the thread where this was mentioned, one poster said the dearest option when he tried was to say the car was garaged!!

Theft of the vehicle is fairly unlikely though - damage from vandals or being hit by another car is much more likely, which makes Admirals pricing very strange.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Wed 3 Mar 10 at 14:25
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - L'escargot
>> Mine will almost double from October to about £1100 ...........

It's not as if you're under 25 or have a powerful or expensive car so what have you done wrong, or are doing wrong, to attract a high premium?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 5 Mar 10 at 07:30
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - Skoda
If you bump the premiums up for one group and tell them it's because they cause all the trouble, their natural reaction will mean they care less about needing to claim, after all, they pay a special premium so they will feel entitled to use it!
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - Stuartli
If Churchill and Direct Line (same company) cut down on all that television and newspaper advertising they would be able to lower premiums......:-)

By the way, the thread title is incorrect. Admiral is a broker and merely pointing out that insurance costs are likely to rise.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 5 Mar 10 at 10:07

>> By the way the thread title is incorrect. Admiral is a broker and merely pointing
>> out that insurance costs are likely to rise.
>>
I believe Admiral are an Insurer, (also trade as Bell, Diamond)...........they trade as a broker under their on-line comparison site.
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - Stuartli
According to its website (About Admiral tab), it states:

"Admiral is the trading name of EUI Limited. Insurance is effected between EUI Limited and certain insurers as listed on your Certificate of Motor Insurance.

"Motor insurance policies purchased on this website are underwritten by the insurance carriers listed on your Certificate of Motor Insurance."
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 5 Mar 10 at 16:52
 Admiral upping Insurance costs - SteelSpark
I am almost exactly 6 months into my first year of driving and, after reading this thread, I decided to take a look on gocompare.

Hopefully the planned price rises are already factored in to the prices returned on that site, because mine have gone up a lot already.

I got my fully comp from Admiral for £730 last September. With (hopefully) a year's no claims bonus next September, it looks like I will be paying...£730. The same quote without a year's no claim (i.e. as if I had started driving next September) would have been £795.

Admiral are still the cheapest (well Egg is about £1.50 less) so I guess I will be going with them, but it is a bit of a disappointment that my one year's no claims (again, hopefully) will be almost exactly wiped out by the increase (assuming they are not increased again by September).
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 5 Mar 10 at 22:41
Latest Forum Posts