Non-motoring > Contacless Credit Cards Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 19

Contacless Credit Cards - maltrap
My bank recently sent me a replacement contactless c/card. When cutting in half the old contactless one it crossed my mind, if some miscreant got hold of the two halves, or even one of them, would they still work on the contactless system ?
 Contacless Credit Cards - Manatee
Unlikely that it would work as you would probably have cut the induction loop that the reader uses to power the card. Use a hole punch on the chip.
 Contacless Credit Cards - R.P.
Shredder.
 Contacless Credit Cards - Falkirk Bairn
Cut it in 2 - put one half in your waste bin & put the other half in a wastebin on the way to work.
 Contacless Credit Cards - Duncan
>> Cut it in 2 - put one half in your waste bin & put the
>> other half in a wastebin on the way to work.
>>

That seems like lax security to me.

I normally cut mine into eight pieces, these I give to various members of staff to dispose of at the furthest extremities of their travels. Lady Duncan is given one piece to dispose of when visiting her perfumier in London (at least, that's where she tells me she is going - she certainly dresses up for the trip).

I dispose of one piece myself in a high security bin in a secret location.

Tip.

Have a member of staff follow the other members of staff when they are on a disposal exercise. I have had to dismiss several employees whom I found were disposing of the piece that they were entrusted with in the nearest bin. This can cause them some distress if they are long-serving staff members with a large family to support.

HTH.
 Contacless Credit Cards - legacylad
Dunc,
Get your staff to cut them up for use as tiddlywinks, for playtime in the odd moment they have free from household duties
 Contacless Credit Cards - VxFan
>> Lady Duncan is given one piece to dispose of when visiting her perfumier in London (at least, that's where she tells me she is going - she certainly dresses up for the trip).

Put a tracking App on your phone and links it to hers. That way you can be sure she's supposed to be where she says she is.
>> Cut it in 2 - put one half in your waste bin & put the other half in a wastebin on the way to work.

The chip contains all your personal information, so unless you cut the chip in half and dispose of in different locations, this won't work.

The way I do it is to cut lengthways along the magnetic strip, dividing it in two. Then cut the card widthways in 3 or 4 places. Making sure the chip is also totally mutilated. Alternately I'll put it through the shredder at work.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 28 Jul 16 at 10:14
 Contacless Credit Cards - CGNorwich
All a bit OTT. My bank assures me that cutting the card in half is all that is required.
That's because your credit limit is 18p
 Contacless Credit Cards - Stuartli
I just cut such cards up into small pieces, making sure the chip and security number are well "shredded" and stick (sorry for the pun) them in the bin.

Don't think any toe rag would be too interested in trying to put them all back together if poking around the council tip and agree that earlier methods mentioned are somewhat over the top - in fact almost paranoid...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 28 Jul 16 at 11:39
 Contacless Credit Cards - sooty123
I send mine to a company that operates these.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0U7JtkWKI

all the operaters are deaf mutes for added security.
 Contacless Credit Cards - zippy
>> I send mine to a company that operates these.
>>
>> m.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0U7JtkWKI
>>
>> all the operaters are deaf mutes for added security.
>>

I so want one of those! (The machine, not the deaf mute!)
 Contacless Credit Cards - smokie
I saw one like this in operation once, very impressive.

The output wasn't any use for chicken bedding though - when I last did our household shredding I freecycled three large bags of cross cut paper (and the odd credit card!!) for precisely that!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYPCPB1g3o
 Contacless Credit Cards - tyrednemotional
....that's the problem, you buy one and it's OK for a bit, but it isn't satisfied and moves on to the hard stuff.......
>> I send mine to a company that operates these.
>>
>> m.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0U7JtkWKI

That's a mere toy compared to this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvyhQJA4EI
 Contacless Credit Cards - sooty123
>> >> I send mine to a company that operates these.
>> >>
>> >> m.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0U7JtkWKI
>>
>> That's a mere toy compared to this.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvyhQJA4EI
>>

that's where the smaller shredding machines are sent to be shredded as premium level security.
 Contacless Credit Cards - Dog
I give 'em to my year-old Beauceron to shred :)

In fact he shreds just about anything and everything :(
 Contacless Credit Cards - CGNorwich
25p before Brexit
Touché
Good man!
Latest Forum Posts