Non-motoring > Languages for Business Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 13

Languages for Business - Mapmaker
I work for a company that does business in continental Europe. I am not aware that anybody here who would be involved in negotiations in these jurisdictions speaks those languages. I am fairly sure we get shafted. Regularly.

I am equally certain that nobody has tried to rectify this shafting.

On the other hand, I recall with particular amusement one colleague who had returned from a closing meeting in France. Around the table were our lawyers, the other side’s lawyers, our agents, their agents and the other side. He said, in possibly the worst example of jingoistic racism that I have ever heard “And then they all start talking in French. I don’t trust them. I’m sure they are all in it together and all know each other and conspire against us for their own financial gain.” Intriguingly he was a second-generation Indian immigrant. I am absolutely certain that our advisers were not conspiring against us!

I happened to be the mug sent for a similar deal the following year. Now, I don’t claim fluency in French. However… I do speak some. And then at the point where the lawyers were having a fight and the entire deal was about to collapse, I was in a position to bring some calm to the meeting – in French. Does anybody here even care? No….
 Messages Author Date
 Languages for Business new Ambo 22 Jul 16 11:04
 Languages for Business new sooty123 22 Jul 16 11:14
 Languages for Business new Runfer D'Hills 22 Jul 16 12:51
 Languages for Business new zippy 22 Jul 16 13:04
 Languages for Business new Slidingpillar 22 Jul 16 14:13
 Languages for Business new Dutchie 22 Jul 16 16:53
 Languages for Business new Cliff Pope 23 Jul 16 08:54
 Languages for Business new Dutchie 23 Jul 16 14:36
 Languages for Business new henry k 23 Jul 16 21:51
 Languages for Business new Mapmaker 25 Jul 16 10:32
 Languages for Business new sherlock47 25 Jul 16 11:10