Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Rear brakes noise Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 12

Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Rear brakes noise - sooty123
The Auris has developed an annoying noise, like something is catching as the wheel turns a light grinding noise from the back brakes, intermitant normally at higher speeds though. I've had a look at the discs, no unusal wear pattern. The rear discs and pads were changed around 2 years.

I'm thinking to change the pads, worth changing the discs as well, or is there something else I should be looking at?
 Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Rear brakes noise - bathtub tom
Not unknown to get a stone trapped against the disc. In my experience that creates a terrible sound.
I thought that, but i couldn't find any scoring on the disc. Although the back of the disc is difficult to check.
 Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Rear brakes noise - John Boy
>> Although the back of the disc is difficult to check.

It's a long while ago now (Vauxhall Chevette), but that's where the stone turned out to be when I had heard similar noises after driving along a road with loose chippings on it.
> It's a long while ago now (Vauxhall Chevette), but that's where the stone turned out to be when I had heard similar noises after driving along a road with loose chippings on it.
>>

Thing is its intermittent, could a stone still do that?
 Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Rear brakes noise - VxFan
>> The rear discs and pads were changed around 2 years.

What does that equate to mileage wise?

>> I'm thinking to change the pads, worth changing the discs as well,

Best practice is to change both as the pads are no longer made from asbestos and the material used is a lot harder, therefore equals more wear on the discs.
Just had a look it was nov 14 about 9000 miles. Especially on the rear they should be years left in them yet.
 Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Rear brakes noise - VxFan
>> Especially on the rear they should be years left in them yet.

Depends whether the callipers are sticking. Also if the handbrake shares the same system they'll wear down a bit quicker, but granted 9,000 miles isn't a lot and they should last longer than that.
Yes the handbrake does share the same system. Its on a lever arm that clamps the pads to the discs when you apply the handbrake. Both callipers I'm pretty sure were changed then as well. One was seized on, although I'll double check if they were both changed.
Just had a look, one caliper is noticeably cleaner and less rusty than the other, and the noisy side is the older one. A better bet than a disc and pad change?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 11 Jul 16 at 12:31
 Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Rear brakes noise - RichardW
If there's still plenty of meat left on the pads, then pop them out, give them a good clean all round, and the caliper, and if necessary file a bit off where they touch so they are a rattling good fit; apply plenty of brake grease (I use copper slip, but this frowned upon now apparently - something to do with metal contaminating ABS sensors, but I've not had any trouble), put it back together and see where you are. Had similar trouble on our C4 last year - with a bit filed off the ends of the pads it has been fine since.
 Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Rear brakes noise - tyrednemotional
...I was going to suggest the same.

I've had similar problems (albeit on a van) when the caliper was rusty (though perfectly serviceable) and the pads had rather minimal clearance.

Fully functional on braking, but the pads wouldn't "float off" when the brakes were released.

Absolutely the same approach used - wire brush, file and copper slip.
Okay thanks all, I'll give them a good scrub up and see what happens.
Latest Forum Posts