Computer Related > Microsoft Lumia 640 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 7

Microsoft Lumia 640 - Manatee
What a terrific phone for £100 sim-free.

Clearly the app choice is limited compared with Apple or (spits) Android, but if you can live with that, and you don't want to fork out £500, it's a steal.

I just bought one for the boss, so we can bin the awful HTC Desire something or other, which apart from being too slow to be of practical use must also be the least intuitive thing I have ever used.

Only 8MB of RAM but that can be rectified with up to 128MB micro SD card. Currently on WP 8.1 but slated for Windows 10.

MS has now sorted the syncing with Gmail and Google Calendar which works well.

Microsoft has dug itself a hole with phones, but I hope it gets out of it. I bought my Nokia 1020 on price, when it dropped from £480 to £240 with and the fact that it has the best camera ever on a phone, but the 640 gives very little away to it.

Just saying.

The purchase of the 640 coincides with a year's free sim-only deal from TalkTalk, as a sweetener for the data breach fuss (they say they didn't lose any of mine).

That's one Christmas present sorted.
 Microsoft Lumia 640 - spamcan61
I've been very pleased with my 640, particularly the camera 'app' which gives manual control over pretty much everything. I did look at used 1020s, but couldn't bring myself to part with 150 notes or so for a used phone.
 Microsoft Lumia 640 - MD
An APPLE a day keeps the others away!
>> I've been very pleased with my 640, particularly the camera 'app' which gives manual control
>> over pretty much everything. I did look at used 1020s, but couldn't bring myself to
>> part with 150 notes or so for a used phone.

The Achilles heel of the 1020 is battery life. I had a camera grip for it that included extra battery, but that has packed up after I dropped it, so I now take a power pack if I have a long day out.

The 640 should be better, and has a readily replaceable battery. It also has the Gorilla glass AFAIK. The screen on my 1020 is unscratched after over 18 months, despite the fact that I use neither case nor screen protector.
 Microsoft Lumia 640 - Falkirk Bairn
Bought one for £80 - jury still out as I cannot get the sim card to accept SWMBO's number.
It's a Vodafone problem so maybe get it resolved tomorrow.

Ordered it on-line and p[icked up yesterday. If it does not transfer I will hand it back.

Terrific value - if it can be made to work.
The boss is very pleased with hers. Her old number has now been ported to the TalkTalk free SIM, and she is currently 'exploring' its capabilities - she has just discovered the FM radio function, which needs headphones to work (the cord is the aerial).

Battery lasts 2 days or more, much better than the 1020's.
 Microsoft Lumia 640 - Falkirk Bairn
Number would not port from old phone. Vodafone shop failed to get it to port. I vowed i would never try Vodafone India so went back to the shop today.

Made them an offer - I would return phone or they phoned their admin systems support and get it working - suddenly 2 mins later the phone worked.

Impressed with screen quality & setup - everything straight forward - for once.
The boss decided yesterday that she would after all like some headphones for hers. The 640 doesn't come with any.

The ones that came with her old HTC worked, but hurt her ears. I gave her the WH-208 in-ear set that came with my 1020, exchanging the rubber ear buds for the smallest size, but she can't get on with those (I don't either, and fancy some on-ear ones for my long phone calls)

So I have ordered one of these www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E67MUFG (red Nokia Coloud Knock)

and one of these www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3LV3P4 (Sony MDRZX310AP).

I just hope she'll settle for the red ones, as she picked the colour!
Latest Forum Posts