Non-motoring > I need, um, want a new camera Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 19

I need, um, want a new camera - Dog
Can anyone tell me why I should not buy a Nikon Coolpix P610 to replace my trusty Lumix FZ200.

Yes, yes, I know the Leica lens in the Lumix is the dogs gonads, but it's that 60X zoom in the Nikon you see.

I like to zoom right in to the birds (of a feather)

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TFLQUUE?keywords=nikon%20bridge%20camera&qid=1449240976&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1#Ask
 I need, um, want a new camera - Stuartli
Love to know how you will keep the Nikon reasonably still at 60x zoom without a tripod...:-)

Been reading this review:

www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/nikon-coolpix-p610-1288569/review

"There's also a digital zoom available to boost that reach by a further 4x, to an incredible 5760mm."

Crrrazy!! .. Of course I would use a tripod or hold the camera against a wall or ledge when shooting at full zoom.
The price is crazy too - I paid 500 notes for the FZ200 some years ago.
>>f course I would use a tripod or hold the camera against a wall or ledge when shooting at full zoom. >>

....but if you are following the flight of a bird.....:-)
>>....but if you are following the flight of a bird.....:-)

I don't think I've ever actually done that, not with a bird anyway. I've, um, shot rabbits, squirrels and dogs on the move though, but mostly I likes 'em to stay put.
 I need, um, want a new camera - Zero
I have used loooooooooong zoooooooooooom extensively, and frankly most of the time its a waste of time because of heat haze, air pollution, etc makes the subject a little "cloudy"
Well, the jury is still out, and I wont be making any pasty decisions.
>> Well, the jury is still out, and I wont be making any pasty decisions.>>

Probably depends on how much dough you have to spend....

To be honest, buying a Nikon "bridge" SLR with a staggering focal length zoom lens for a quarter of the price I paid for my Nikon D90 with the 18-105mm zoom lens (equivalent to 27mm to 153mm on a 35mm camera), strikes me as perhaps accepting something of a compromise.

But if it serves your requirements, then that's fine.
83x (2000mm) lens!!

www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-COOLPIX-P900-Digital-Camera/dp/B00U5W8H6W

I need, um, want a new camera - CGNorwich
Where super zooms are useful is in actually identifying and recording birds. You don't get a particularly great picture most of the time but good enough for identification. Shutter lag can be a problem sometimes though.

Well, the 3 inch vari-angle screen on the P610 is 921k-dot whereas tis 460k on my FZ200, which is no big deal really, as I prefer to use the EVF, which comes out at 931k dot on the Nikon and 1312k on my Lumix.

Although I had a Pentax KM SLR back in the 70's, I've never really fancied getting in to DSLR's.

Of course, I realise a super, super zoom is indeed a compromise, although the pics I've taken at full optical zoom on my Pana have shown a remarkable amount of detail ... maybe what I really need, um, want, is a G7 wivva 14-140mm lens.

:o)

Still checking out bridge cameras. Have a gander at these pics taken wivva Canon SX50 HS:

www.flickr.com/photos/bigwade/sets/72157655904183196
 I need, um, want a new camera - WillDeBeest
Dammit, Dawg, you've got me looking now. Not at bridge cameras, of course - I remain a non-fan of those - but at something a step up in gravitas from my neat and capable, but occasionally slow and fiddly Canon S100.

Canon's own G7-X packs a bigger sensor into a still-pocketable package but seems to pay a performance penalty and to have lens quality problems. In any case, I don't need two pocket-size cameras and an iPhone 6.

So I'm watching prices on the Sony RX100-iii that we've discussed here before, and the Lumix LX-100. Both have serious sensors and lenses, with electronic viewfinders for better control, and both go properly wide, to the equivalent of 24mm. Both also still the wrong side of £500 but that may change after Christmas.
I was looking at the Lumix-100 and the Canon GX mark 11 at the weekend funnily enough Will.
The Lumix certainly gets very good reviews and it would easier to cart about than a bridge camera.
The silver jobbie looks nice too IMO. I'm thinking along the the lines of the Lumix FZ200 is a damn good bridge camera, so it would be rather foolish to get another one just for its greater zoom capability.

www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100

www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-ii
Watching these 'ere blimming cameras on Amazon, I see the Nikon P610 woz £250 when I started this fred.

It went up to £265 the week before Christ's mass. Tis down to £248 now.
 I need, um, want a new camera - smokie
Dog - r yoo yoosing the camel to track prices? You can put in your target price and receive an email when it teaches it. Also see the price history, to enable you to see what is a good price.

uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

and populated with the one I think you are looking at

uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-P610-Digital-Camera/product/B00TFLQUUE

£248 looks as cheap as it's ever been.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 24 Dec 15 at 10:45
Cheers guv'nor. I'd never heard of camel before. Amazing howl the prices go up and down like a yoyo, like heating oil prices.

Y'all can still get yoyos BTW :)
 I need, um, want a new camera - Crankcase
Camel is good if you don't want to buy immediately. I still get alerts for things I put on there a couple of years ago, when they hit the price I'm prepared to pay.

For more immediate gratification the addon called Invisible Hand sits in the background of your browser, "looks" at whatever you are browsing, and as appropriate pops up and effectively says "Ooh, you don't want to pay £148 at Amazon, look, Currys are doing it for £120". Having said that, it doesn't always seem to want to work for me, although that may be my browser.
I normally use pricespy.co.uk/product.php?p=3004802 which usually comes up with the best price.
www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/technology-video/12066184/best-digital-cameras-of-2015.html

:-)
Latest Forum Posts