Technical Car/Motor Issues > Jaguar X-Type Estate - 05 2.0 Radio reception poor Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 8

Jaguar X-Type Estate - 05 2.0 Radio reception poor - Westpig
The radio reception has more recently become very poor on our estate car.

It is quite intermittent (depending on where you are) and a recent long journey (Devon to North London and return) had great chunks of the journey with just a hissing sound instead of the FM radio channel. It has previously been of excellent quality.

I was just going to replace the rubber antennae that is situated in the middle of the roof .. but then someone local has said there's likely to be a booster in the base on the roof?

I've never heard of that. Is that correct?

The rubber antennae looks in good condition and has no obvious damage, although I do put it through the car wash and leave it on as it seemingly won't undo.

The car is 10 years old.

So do I just replace the rubber bit (about £10 for a proper Jag part on e-bay) or is there likely to be more to it?
 Jaguar X-Type Estate - 05 2.0 Radio reception poor - Zero
>
>> So do I just replace the rubber bit (about £10 for a proper Jag part
>> on e-bay) or is there likely to be more to it?

The rubber bit is not just a rubber bit, but has carefully tuned coils of wire in it. Its possible its broken internally, so sticking another one on is a good first step. If you have another car with a rubber antenna and the same size thread, try that as a diagnostic.

Its entirely fpossible there is an aerial amp somewhere in the system, the power to which could be fed up the antenna lead, its also entirely possible it does not have one. That could be duff, the radio could be duff, there could be a poor earth at the antenna, the aerial lead could be broken or have water in it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 17 May 15 at 12:19
 Jaguar X-Type Estate - 05 2.0 Radio reception poor - carmalade
There is an aerial amp in the base of the antenna part,however this is only needed for am reception.If the radio works ok on am medium/long wave ,then the aerial system is ok.
Thanks gents, good advice as usual.
New e-bay aerial sorted it.

Must have damaged the old one, probably in the car wash, albeit it looked o.k. from the outside.
 Jaguar X-Type Estate - 05 2.0 Radio reception poor - Bromptonaut
Another line of inquiry....

Do you have a USB phone charger running in one of the car's power sockets? If so it's worth removing it to eliminate possibility of interference from the device's internal electronics.

Had a similar experience with the 05 Berlingo, oddly enough on a trip down your way. Reception on VHF/FM was almost inaudible and the mush so pervasive that it broke through the 'squelch' level so re-scanning for a stronger signal wouldn't work. Mrs B had imported a charger that normally lived in her car and as soon as it was removed normal service returned.

Oddly, AM reception on either MW or LW was unaffected - they're usually the first to disappear under snap, crackle and pop.
EDIT - realised I posted this when WP said he's sorted

DOH!!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 14 Jun 15 at 09:33
 Jaguar X-Type Estate - 05 2.0 Radio reception poor - Dog
>>EDIT - realised I posted this when WP said he's sorted

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a602009.html

hth.
>> www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a602009.html
>>
>> hth.