Non-motoring > Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 14

Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - Fursty Ferret
Went to see the Sherlock Holmes movie in Plymouth on Friday. After coughing up £10 each for tickets, we were stuffed into a tiny screen, subjected to 20 minutes of adverts, 10 minutes of anti-piracy warnings, and then they left the lights on full brightness during the fillum.

To the morons who run Vue:

1. If you charge £10 for a ticket, show the damn movie on a screen bigger than a tea towel.

2. Don't charge a £1.50 card handling fee when I use a debit card.

3. I don't mind watching the ads if they subsidise the cost of showing the film, but you're clearly just raking it in 'cos you can.

4. Showing anti-piracy ads to someone who's paid to be there is deeply insulting. I loathe today's culture of guilty until proved innocent, and would point out that if I had pirated the movie, I'd be at least £30 better off and could have started watching it 25 minutes earlier.

5. The lights were on full intensity and seared my eyeballs for the whole two hours. You could easily read under them. I initially assumed that they'd forgotten to turn them off and nipped out at the start of the movie to tell someone, only to be informed it was for security to stop people copying the film. I refer you to point 4.

Is it me?
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - Netsur
Surprising; as the Vue we visit is cheaper, has decent size screens and the lights go down. We get adverts and the piracy warning but its not too intrusive.

However I do remember going to see a chick flick with the missus (I think it was a Hugh Grant movie) and the adverts were so long that the whole cinema got restless.
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - Zero
The last time I went to the cinema, we had some some nice food, a glass of wine, leather seats with a holder for your wine and footstoools.
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - R.P.
Cineworld is the local cinema of choice - 6.50each (2/1 deals) able to time it now to hit it just before the film starts (although missed Invitctus as it was full) - films have become overlong now as well - watched that Ben Button thing 3.15hrs... Goodness sake.
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - bathtub tom
IIRC the last time I went smoking was permitted and upstairs on the bus home. ;>)
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - Bellboy
i refuse to go
cant do with my seat being kicked,rustling wrappers all the time incessant talking always from somewhere and last time i went mobile phones
i have a nice enough setup at home and i can have a drink and freeze the film any time i want for a call of nature
obviously some films are a pain when a head blocks the complete screen every now and then (kidding)
i only want to go to the miramax screen in bradford again to watch my films (last one i saw in 3d was titanic and it was superb)
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - spamcan61
Luckily in Christchurch we have the Regent cinema, which charges more sensible prices for tickets, around a fiver for adults for example; popcorn is still a quid a (big) cup I think. Decent coffee available in the foyer. Whilst they don't show the very latest films concurrently with the big boys they're often only a few weeks behind.

www.regentcentre.co.uk/events
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - jc2
Yes; I remember when it was fun in the back row of the circle-can't remember what the films were tho'.
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - PhilW
"I remember when it was fun in the back row of the circle"
And it was only 4/- each (4 shillings or 20p) on a Friday night.
Mind you, only got £1 a week pocket money/ paper round. Still left enough for a packet of fags, fish and chips on the way home and enough to have a good few pints on Sat night!!
Not sure I would want to go back to those days though..........
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - rtj70
So how much pocket money needed to do the same today! Cinema, Fish an Chips, Cigarettes and a few pints! £25?

Our local cinema of the old variety could close.... :-(
Last edited by: welshy on Sun 28 Feb 10 at 23:36
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - PhilW
"£25?"
Probably, maybe even more- seem to remember vaguely that my Dad as a schoolteacher earned about £1000 per year at the time so £1 was a lot of money! Could get 4 or 5 gallons of petrol for a quid in those days also
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - Zero
>> So how much pocket money needed to do the same today! Cinema Fish an Chips
>> Cigarettes and a few pints! £25?

Oh good grief, times have changed, let me see, lets modernise it and put it in Zero terms.

Two seats at ROH Covent garden, for Romeo & Juliet by the Royal Ballet company
£200
Post performance curry for two, by Atul Kulchar at Benares
£150
Bottle of 2004 Chateau Petrus
£1000
A Romeo y Julieta Belicoso cigar (smoked outside on the pavement)
£20
Taxi Home
No chance gov, thats south of the river.
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - smokie
" popcorn is still a quid " Anyone read the Times, yesterday I think. Bucket of popcorn is more than 1800 calories. Seemed a lot to me...
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - FotheringtonTomas
Going to the cinema is often a revolting experience. The screens are small, the room is small, the air stinks of both people and their food, hot and cold, bought in-house, and eaten watching the film, with much rustling, dropping, fizzing, smearing and gulping and the licking of fingers, followed by wiping of same through hair, in clothes, and on upholstery. Filthy swines.

Is there still a large-screen cinema anywhere in the country?
 Anyone remember when the cinema was fun? - Snakey
The last time I went to the cinema (in Durham) it was a farce.

They sell tickets with no seating allocation. Result is a jostling for position and then 5 minutes in the film another group of people arrive and the cinema staff are trying to persuade you to move along to make a space for them! Plus they must oversell tickets as a couple of people couldn't get a seat at all and gave up.

Never again!
Latest Forum Posts