Motoring Discussion > Advance Motorway Exiting Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 17

Advance Motorway Exiting - Robin O'Reliant
The fun begins about a minute in -

www.liveleak.com/view?i=a4a_1413310556
 Advance Motorway Exiting - Armel Coussine
There, but for the grace of God, go pretty well all of us I reckon. Just as Catholics have to avoid not only sin but the occasion of sin - meaning the possibility or temptation - so drivers have to avoid not only the crash but the risk of a crash. Only frightening experiences often repeated will drill this lesson into an eager driver's thick, resistant skull. Fast reactions and a stylish approach don't always cut the mustard, you learn eventually.

I'm curious as to the camera vehicle's identity. Obviously something big... but I wonder how the driver feels after running over the little green car. I assume the car driver was minced to shreds.
 Advance Motorway Exiting - Manatee
I've been programmed for a long time to avoid instant manoeuvres, unless avoidance ones, although I wasn't always like that. Now, if I realise I am about to miss a turn, I just miss it.
 Advance Motorway Exiting - Old Navy
>>Now, if I realise I am about to miss a turn, I just miss it.
>>

Me too, there is always an alternative.
>> I assume the car driver was minced to shreds.
>>

Two cracked vertebrae and a crushed hand according to the article, lucky lady. Who has obviously not heard of reading he road and forward planning.
 Advance Motorway Exiting - Robin O'Reliant
Broke two upper vertebrae and pulverised he hand, according to the text. Just as well she wasn't driving a Hillman Imp.
 Advance Motorway Exiting - ....
Just as well there was no passenger either.

That was exceptional but manoeuvres like that are not uncommon on Belgian motorways and queues on slip roads are the norm.

In July saw a Renault van swing from lane 1 to lane 4 in one movement narrowly missing side swiping a Transit on the Brussels ring.

I frequently drive the E40 I really dislike it on my bike. The bigger the car the more risky the manoeuvre, I always pay particular attention to S class Mercedes.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 16 Oct 14 at 18:36
>> Just as well there was no passenger either.

Yes. And the driver was very lucky to get off so lightly.

I see no one but me admits to nearly doing that. Hypocrites.
>>
>> I see no one but me admits to nearly doing that. Hypocrites.
>>

You actually drive without having a plan B escape route should you get it wrong, and we all do.

Or you come across someone like Lud. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Oct 14 at 21:10
 Advance Motorway Exiting - WillDeBeest
Not so much failure to read as failure to see that the space she was about to drive into at speed didn't - or in this case, did - already have a near-stationary truck in it. It was the manoeuvre of a driver who'd never previously taken a motorway exit at a busy time.

We all make mistakes but that was piddle-poor driving, even by Belgian standards.
 Advance Motorway Exiting - legacylad
Come off it AC. If you freely admit to ' nearly' doing something as stupid as that then I don't wish to be anywhere near you on the road. Everyone on here has an interest in motoring, and a percentage may even take a pride in their driving, but that was terrible driving. As mentioned earlier, no one is perfect, myself included, especially with regard to the use of speed outwith the limits when conditions allow, but heaven forbid I ever do anything so inept, for want of a better word.
OFFS chaps. Do you really think I'm not up to speed on this stuff? I'm still alive and have never killed or maimed anyone or written off a car in 55 years.

I'm talking about the sort of thing one did a few times when still, really, a learner. Perhaps some of you never did it, never tried stuff beyond your capabilities and got away with it by the skin of your teeth.

Very sensible and mature of you of course. But I'd rather have me driving than you in an emergency situation, the sort that can arise however cool your own driving is. Experience pays.
 Advance Motorway Exiting - Zero
How on earth did anyone get out of that alive!
 Advance Motorway Exiting - BobbyG
And where did the Focus go??
The camera vehicle never really changed direction and there was the other vehicle up his left and right?
>> And where did the Focus go??
>> The camera vehicle never really changed direction and there was the other vehicle up his
>> left and right?
>>

You have just discovered one of a HGVs blind spots. :)
>> >> And where did the Focus go??
>> >> The camera vehicle never really changed direction and there was the other vehicle up
>> his
>> >> left and right?
>> >>
>>
>> You have just discovered one of a HGVs blind spots. :)
Reminds me of the old saying, "You can't see whats right under your nose"
That is typical of a lot of Foreign motorways tho, Truck drivers seem to think its fine just to stop on the hard shoulder anywhere and grab some kip for a tacho break (I know the one in that scene was broken down)

The old bill had a rare old time, every night moving on the european trucks who thought it would be good to kip on the slip roads and hard shoulders around Clackets Lane on the M25
 Advance Motorway Exiting - Shiny
These videos are very ecucational.
I watch
www.youtube.com/user/CarCrashCompilation7/videos
everyday and add the situations and responses to my brain.

Never change more than one lane in a single manoeuvre.
Never blind lane change.
Never swerve to avoid the idiot and hit someone who is innocent instead.
Last edited by: Shiny Tailpipes on Fri 17 Oct 14 at 09:35
Latest Forum Posts